Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu More posting from Women Nukeworkers

Poll

What can we do to encourage women to post on the discussion boards?

Gear topics towards women
4 (7.7%)
Have more women moderators
13 (25%)
Have a women's only area
6 (11.5%)
Nothing
24 (46.2%)
Other
5 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: More posting from Women Nukeworkers  (Read 62378 times)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
More posting from Women Nukeworkers
« on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:42 »
What can we here at nukeworker do to encourage women, workers, wives, girlfriends, mother's, etc to post to our discussion boards? While there seem to be quite a few women members, most have not made any posts. I encourage all women to get involved in the discussion topics, and if you don't see a topic that you want to post to, then start a new thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 09:44 by Rennhack »

Cathy

Re: More posting from Women Nukeworkers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:43 »
There needs to be more female goldmembers. Most of the really interesting discussions happen in the members only area. The percentage of women on nukeworker is probably consistant with the percentage of women in this field so I have no real idea how to get more women to post. I personally find the current topics of discussion to be interesting. Places to shop at outages hold no real interest for me unless Home Depot or Lowes is having a Dewalt tool sale ;D
A thread for clean safe lodging for traveling women would be good as well as places to avoid. Posting bad experiences is just as helpful. For example, a friend of mine booked a room at a motel in Florida where several other male contractors were staying. When she got there it didn't take her long to figure out that it was not a nice place, for some reason she seemed to mind the hookers hanging out in the hallways more than the guys did!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008, 11:43 »
There needs to be more female goldmembers. Most of the really interesting discussions happen in the members only area. The percentage of women on nukeworker is probably consistant with the percentage of women in this field so I have no real idea how to get more women to post. I personally find the current topics of discussion to be interesting. Places to shop at outages hold no real interest for me unless Home Depot or Lowes is having a Dewalt tool sale ;D
A thread for clean safe lodging for traveling women would be good as well as places to avoid. Posting bad experiences is just as helpful. For example, a friend of mine booked a room at a motel in Florida where several other male contractors were staying. When she got there it didn't take her long to figure out that it was not a nice place, for some reason she seemed to mind the hookers hanging out in the hallways more than the guys did!

I agree that there needs to be more female goldmembers, perhaps a campaign aimed at them would help out. I like you enjoy the current topics, but I also know that there is a need for "where to shop" type threads as well. I sometimes still travel with my husband as do many others and in some places it can be a mad house attempting to find something. You can't always rely on the current technology either as I have been mislead by not only online map sources but by the GPS as well.

I agree with the lodging and encourage female's to post their experiences to warn others before they make the same mistake.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:19 »
I don't know if i agree with a "Women Only" area,We are all Nukeworkers here(even if peripherally).  but I do agree we should do more to promote more involvement by women on the site.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

RedHacker

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:35 »
As much as people (men mostly) clain that we do nothing but yammer on all day, we sure are quiet on this web site.

Why do you think that is?

Camella Black is in the top 10 for posting.
radbitch, JessJen, Cathy, Lorrie Henson, navytwinmom, Stephanie Long,NukeWifeKW,Tina,llamagramma, Dawne Settecerri, and nuke_girl are all in the top 200 posters list (out of 9452 users).

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:43 »
Actually, 32 members have 'female' selecten in their profile, who rank in the top 200 highest posters:

Key: Name - How many messages they posted
camellablack   1338
radgal   462
radbitch   348
jesjensen   331
Cathy   212
straphael   203
JrHPGal   149
navytwinmom   137
StephanieALong   101
fluxmama   100
Kime_B   94
NukeWifeKW   71
Tina   63
Evilpixie   51
JillQ   42
cairnit   40
ruth13   39
jovynomad   39
deerci   39
dawnes   39
nuke_girl   37
Eightmile   36
lowlrc   35
cruella   34
nothinbuttrouble   32
nukerecruiter   28
foreverajr   28
zippy   27
oldodge52   27
amondul   25
dangergirl   24
trailorqueen   23
maggie352000   22
ladynuke   19
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 09:48 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:46 »
A total of 149 ladies have posted something in the forum:

camellablack
radgal
radbitch
jesjensen
Cathy
straphael
JrHPGal
navytwinmom
StephanieALong
fluxmama
Kime_B
NukeWifeKW
Tina
Evilpixie
JillQ
cairnit
ruth13
jovynomad
deerci
dawnes
nuke_girl
Eightmile
lowlrc
cruella
nothinbuttrouble
nukerecruiter
foreverajr
zippy
oldodge52
amondul
dangergirl
trailorqueen
maggie352000
ladynuke
NJ
dks860
bheinz
stewdill
dawnlee
k-linegirl
girlnuke
basketlady
rabbit
Sherry
irishfan
hatched
dnutting
yankee
lonelylady
lilbit
inyourface
Draonc
newdeconner
hml
badradbabe
YO!
dymaris
Rahrah
Pezzle
tinkerlow
radconii57
KJC88
TE
aubergine63
Sandralike
sopdyke
lilnukee
RedHacker
morwyn
bethlehemstarr
HarleyNukeWife
dykeHP
christinemarie
geek_chic
sarahm86
zammis
tera_rogue
msrichardson
heavensrose22
geobond005
gato-rojo
abc123
azna
FishShocker
donthaveacurefor
russysgirl
zoomzoomie
garcma
areswarren
VondaP
lrunget
iiiisx3
plaun
moochiebubble
Kathy
Jules
housenuke
AmyrobinUT
eldeelf
ALARA_WITCH
mtn.girl
jorji
Newbie Nukie
ponyexpress
Foxy Silver
Bombshell
edieataylor
pitbull03
Anitatech
Amyl70
dhk
longhornllama
cmumess
ClassyLadyIL3
chilinpepper
urbanxmermaid
ldill
KingMD
nukeswife
AOVWIFE
radwench
nucgal
Hellen
Miss Robin P
looneynuke
eggplant50
Jenerou
navywife85
Missy_Ghone
bandbdeb
stormy_nite
rocketman51104
candi
NavyAmy
keltay3
mskia
tinyredbox
gakelton
jheil001
mind_in_disguise
nukie33035
Neon_Natalie
maddscientist
limbo
LadyVol
Dee_Davis
cms
baaadkitty

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:48 »
It is two things:

70-80% of this industry is men, I would guess.

Women aren't always the bloggers that men are.

It just hasn't caught on yet. Alot of people don't even know about nukeworker.com, but that is why we must spread the word.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:53 »
Of the 48 ladies online this week, most of them are active posters:

Username   Last Online   Posts
camellablack   Today   1338
radbitch   Today   348
Cathy   Today   212
JrHPGal   Today   149
ruth13   Today   39
bheinz   Today   15
KJC88   Today   7
RedHacker   Today   6
Anitatech   Today   2
bandbdeb   Today   1
Kime_B   1 day ago   94
cairnit   1 day ago   40
nothinbuttrouble   1 day ago   32
maggie352000   1 day ago   22
ladynuke   1 day ago   19
NJ   1 day ago   17
Sherry   1 day ago   13
nukie33035   1 day ago   1
Alice   1 day ago   0
FREEMANO   1 day ago   0
gatorgal   1 day ago   0
the hag   1 day ago   0
deerci   2 days ago   39
oldodge52   2 days ago   27
radconii57   2 days ago   8
zammis   2 days ago   5
FishShocker   2 days ago   4
limbo   2 days ago   1
Katelyn53   2 days ago   0
GammaRae   2 days ago   0
navytwinmom   3 days ago   137
NukeWifeKW   3 days ago   71
nuke_girl   3 days ago   37
cruella   3 days ago   34
basketlady   3 days ago   14
YO!   3 days ago   9
TE   3 days ago   7
Amyl70   3 days ago   2
brandi   3 days ago   0
dks860   4 days ago   16
housenuke   4 days ago   3
roadweary   4 days ago   0
trailorqueen   5 days ago   23
lonelylady   5 days ago   11
inyourface   5 days ago   11
girlnuke   6 days ago   15
dymaris   7 days ago   9
QueenB   7 days ago   0

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:03 »
As much as people (men mostly) clain that we do nothing but yammer on all day, we sure are quiet on this web site.

Camella Black is in the top 10 for posting.
radbitch, JessJen, Cathy, Lorrie Henson, navytwinmom, Stephanie Long,NukeWifeKW,Tina,llamagramma, Dawne Settecerri, and nuke_girl are all in the top 200 posters list (out of 9452 users).

I know you are relatively new to the site, but based on your posts and time since you registered, you have an average of one post per month.

step up to the plate. Become a gold member and put yourself up there with that list you gave us. we would love to hear more of your input

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:50 »
The idea of this site is to gear topics toward Nukeworkers. There are more topics that are traditionally 'male' (firearms, hunting, fishing, sports) but that is because they are started by males (just guessing, actually) and that  is what they talk about. Women can start a topic about whatever they want in the 'non-nuclear' (i.e. Gold Member) section.

The male/female ratio on the site (counting all registered users) is 3.8:1, so there are almost 4 men for every woman on the site. Not surprisingly, there are far more subjects geared toward men than women. But most of the posts are still general in nature.

A 'women only' section would be self defeating. The women who do post on the general boards would be drawn away and the men would mostly stay out. The result would be less, not more, female representation on the general forum.

I think that one reason that there are not more women posting on the site is that despite the gains in the last few decades, there is still a lot of cultural influence on women to have different interests than men. There are still not as many women that would list 'politics' as a major interest, even though they are just as affected by it as men. Many (not all) women still see that as a man's domain. I think that will change in time with generational fading... i.e. what each generation teaches their children will close some of the gap. There are still some young girls that are taught that it is not 'their place' to speak up, but there are fewer than last generation and probably (hopefully) more than the next one.

Many of us remember when there were no females at all on a nuclear site outside of the administration offices. This is a traditionally male industry and due to its nature will probably remain so for a long time. Things are changing slowly, but they are changing.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:08 »
I also would like to see more involvement from the women in the industry.  I post when I have something I really want to say, but honestly some of the discussions (in the gold member area, particularly) seem to get pretty vicious.  And although I don't mind watching a good fight, I don't want to jump in the middle and get beaten up -  ;)  The exchange of opinions is educating, and I enjoy reading them, though.

We, as women, do have experiences that are unique in this industry, and I think it would be helpful to share them. I would hate to see it turn into a "man-bashing" area, or something of that nature, so don't believe a "women only" area is a good idea.

We do need to get the word out about nukeworker.  I must give the website to half a dozen people every outage, and I'm always surprised how many people work outages, and don't know about it.  Maybe Mike should send nukeworker stickers to new gold members - stickers on hard hats still seem to be popular. We should all put the nukeworker link on our myspace, facebook, or eons profiles, too. 
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:37 »
I also would like to see more involvement from the women in the industry.  I post when I have something I really want to say, but honestly some of the discussions (in the gold member area, particularly) seem to get pretty vicious.  And although I don't mind watching a good fight, I don't want to jump in the middle and get beaten up -  ;)  The exchange of opinions is educating, and I enjoy reading them, though.

We, as women, do have experiences that are unique in this industry, and I think it would be helpful to share them. I would hate to see it turn into a "man-bashing" area, or something of that nature, so don't believe a "women only" area is a good idea.

We do need to get the word out about nukeworker.  I must give the website to half a dozen people every outage, and I'm always surprised how many people work outages, and don't know about it.  Maybe Mike should send nukeworker stickers to new gold members - stickers on hard hats still seem to be popular. We should all put the nukeworker link on our myspace, facebook, or eons profiles, too. 

ruth13, great post. I agree totally. I would hate to see a man-bashing area too; these were just ideas and I thought of the women only area because of the Navy area. Keep up the good work at promoting nukeworker.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:51 »

I handed out over 100 stickers at Perry's outage last spring and I just came back here in May and I see them on hard hats everywhere. So, the word is getting out and they seem to like the orange design as much as the blue one.

I agree with somebody who posted earlier. A subscription drive.

A slogan like:

Nuke worker...its not just for men anymore
Nukewomen on nukeworker....See what the glow is all about
A little nuke for women too...
Nukeworker...the unisex website

Come on Mike, let's get it started!
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 11:52 by DaveWarren »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:10 »
I would love to see more women in here as well.  And, like the Navy section, would like to see a section for women only, but it also seems sexist and would upset a lot of the men in here.

I am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it since.  I've also worked for a supervisor that believed the little woman needs to be at home and not working at all, much less in the nuclear field.

I believe some new people, men and women alike, read some of the comments on threads and leave.  There is a lot of bashing of new people because they don't search for things themselves.  Some people don't have the time (or desire) to search hundreds of thousands of posts and pages when they are hoping to get a quick answer to a question that most seasoned professionals would deem simple.  They see how active the threads are here, as opposed to the 'other' site, and are hopeful of getting a quick response.  However, more times than not, the response they get is not favorable at all.  I fully understand the reasonings behind them, but to a newcomer, it's not very welcoming.  So why would they want to stick around, much less become gold members.

I fully support this site and have done so for a while, but I will not comment on some subjects, simply because I do not want to be bashed... and if I feel that way as a supporter of this site, I can only imagine how the new people feel.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 12:58 by Lorrie Henson »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:30 »
I would love to see more women in here as well.  And, like the Navy section, would like to see a section for women only, but it also seems sexist and would upset a lot of the men in here.

I am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it sense.  I've also worked for a supervisor that believed the little woman needs to be at home and not working at all, much less in the nuclear field.

I believe some new people, men and women alike, read some of the comments on threads and leave.  There is a lot of bashing of new people because they don't search for things themselves.  Some people don't have the time (or desire) to search hundreds of thousands of posts and pages when they are hoping to get a quick answer to a question that most seasoned professionals would deem simple.  They see how active the threads are here, as opposed to the 'other' site, and are hopeful of getting a quick response.  However, more times than not, the response they get is not favorable at all.  I fully understand the reasonings behind them, but to a newcomer, it's not very welcoming.  So why would they want to stick around, much less become gold members.

I fully support this site and have done so for a while, but I will not comment on some subjects, simply because I do not want to be bashed... and if I feel that way as a supporter of this site, I can only imagine how the new people feel.

Stand up for your husband, stand up for yourself. Don't let a little negative feedback keep you quiet.

feel free to put your opinions out there. let Camella, Dave warren, Cathy, Marlin, Marssim, Thenukeman, Rtroja and others be your inspiration. although we don't agree most of the time and discussion can get heated, we respect each other and look forward to the responses to our posts.

RedHacker

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:35 »
A 'women only' section would be self defeating. The women who do post on the general boards would be drawn away and the men would mostly stay out. The result would be less, not more, female representation on the general forum.

Oh, I disagree, we should have a women only area, and an African-America only area, and a Democrat only area, and an area for people with under $20k annual family income.  We don't need to bring people together, we need to divide them.

PEOPLE (not WOMEN) will post when they have something to say.  PEOPLE will become gold members if they feel it is what is right for them.  Stop worrying about what other PEOPLE do, and try to focus on your own issues.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:41 »
Thanks Smart People... I appreciate your response.  I will continue standing up for my husband as well as myself.... I just don't do well in heated situations because I will always say something that will come back to bite me in the behind... I'm not a very quiet person and do let my feelings be known.  However, I would rather not put myself out there in a vulnerable situation again..... but I will continue to comment in areas that I feel comfortable, as well as giving advise where appropriate.

RedHacker

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:48 »
I am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it sense.

Shame on you, you let those bastards win.

The Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), affirming the equal application of the U.S. Constitution to both females and males, first proposed in 1923, is still not part of the U.S. Constitution.  

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (people) to do nothing."
This famous quote is from Edmund Burke who, as a member of the British Parliament during the 1700's, used his great oratory skills to influence the House of Commons by defending the rights of the American colonies and firing oppositional arrows at the slave trade. His statement is no less true today than at any time during the history of mankind. Wherever and whenever there has been oppression, there have been ordinary citizens like you and me who've done nothing to stop it. And we are just as guilty as the one wielding the whip.

Oh yes, I know it makes you uncomfortable to hear that - and I know we're all busy and distracted - but how can we turn our heads and pretend it doesn't happen? 'Isn't it someone else's problem?' I hear you ask. No, it's not. It's yours and mine. Ostriches have never stopped a stampede by burying their heads in the sand.

Is there anyone among you?

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:06 »
I do not see it as allowing anyone to win.  If anyone won, it was me... by not answering those that chose to make stupid comments to me.   I support my husband 100%... that's why I have chosen to travel with him and our two small children.  It's also my choice to keep my mouth shut.

dollydo

« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:22 »
What did your husband do that you have to stand-up for him?

Motown homey

« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:42 »

I don't know why you don't post more - but I use the guideline "I would rather stay silent and be thought a fool, than open my mouth and remove all doubt."  That being said, I've made my share of missteps and faux pauxes.  If you feel strongly enough about the subject, posting becomes an imperative.

illegalsmile

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:31 »
Roger cites a 4:1 men:women ratio in site registration. I don't have a count, but it seems to me that is a lower ratio than the ratio that exists in the work place. I'm sure the posts ratio is a lot higher than that, so maybe our discussions don't interest the female portion of our little family, or maybe, as Ruth said, the sometimes venemous nature of our posts intimidates them.
If subjects is the issue, anyone can open a new thread at any time.....so if you want to talk about gender-specific issues, start the thread, but if you want to do it without male participation, I don't think exclusion was what Mike had in mind when he started the site.
Ruth, don't be afraid of 'getting beat up.' For starters, most of us won't even know who you are, secondly, after a while, you actually start to like it, right DW?
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 03:14 by illegalsmile »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:34 »
What did your husband do that you have to stand-up for him?

It's water under the bridge and doesn't need to be rehashed... I didn't state that to start it up again, but rather make the point that sour remarks were made to me that I chose not to respond to.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:43 »
Yes, illegal you are correct.
I post with malice just because I know that the sect of conservatives will be spinning and twisting to their hearts content, and name-calling as soon as they read the post.

Ruth, Lorrie, Red Hack (sounds alot like Rennhack), you guys need to say what you mean and mean what you say. I am usually the prognosticator of most of the arguments, because I am the loud liberal. If I back down to these mean old bastards, my fight was squandered. So, join in and throw us a bone.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?