Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu More posting from Women Nukeworkers honeypot

Poll

What can we do to encourage women to post on the discussion boards?

Gear topics towards women
4 (7.7%)
Have more women moderators
13 (25%)
Have a women's only area
6 (11.5%)
Nothing
24 (46.2%)
Other
5 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: More posting from Women Nukeworkers  (Read 62388 times)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
More posting from Women Nukeworkers
« on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:42 »
What can we here at nukeworker do to encourage women, workers, wives, girlfriends, mother's, etc to post to our discussion boards? While there seem to be quite a few women members, most have not made any posts. I encourage all women to get involved in the discussion topics, and if you don't see a topic that you want to post to, then start a new thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 09:44 by Rennhack »

Cathy

Re: More posting from Women Nukeworkers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:43 »
There needs to be more female goldmembers. Most of the really interesting discussions happen in the members only area. The percentage of women on nukeworker is probably consistant with the percentage of women in this field so I have no real idea how to get more women to post. I personally find the current topics of discussion to be interesting. Places to shop at outages hold no real interest for me unless Home Depot or Lowes is having a Dewalt tool sale ;D
A thread for clean safe lodging for traveling women would be good as well as places to avoid. Posting bad experiences is just as helpful. For example, a friend of mine booked a room at a motel in Florida where several other male contractors were staying. When she got there it didn't take her long to figure out that it was not a nice place, for some reason she seemed to mind the hookers hanging out in the hallways more than the guys did!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008, 11:43 »
There needs to be more female goldmembers. Most of the really interesting discussions happen in the members only area. The percentage of women on nukeworker is probably consistant with the percentage of women in this field so I have no real idea how to get more women to post. I personally find the current topics of discussion to be interesting. Places to shop at outages hold no real interest for me unless Home Depot or Lowes is having a Dewalt tool sale ;D
A thread for clean safe lodging for traveling women would be good as well as places to avoid. Posting bad experiences is just as helpful. For example, a friend of mine booked a room at a motel in Florida where several other male contractors were staying. When she got there it didn't take her long to figure out that it was not a nice place, for some reason she seemed to mind the hookers hanging out in the hallways more than the guys did!

I agree that there needs to be more female goldmembers, perhaps a campaign aimed at them would help out. I like you enjoy the current topics, but I also know that there is a need for "where to shop" type threads as well. I sometimes still travel with my husband as do many others and in some places it can be a mad house attempting to find something. You can't always rely on the current technology either as I have been mislead by not only online map sources but by the GPS as well.

I agree with the lodging and encourage female's to post their experiences to warn others before they make the same mistake.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:19 »
I don't know if i agree with a "Women Only" area,We are all Nukeworkers here(even if peripherally).  but I do agree we should do more to promote more involvement by women on the site.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

RedHacker

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:35 »
As much as people (men mostly) clain that we do nothing but yammer on all day, we sure are quiet on this web site.

Why do you think that is?

Camella Black is in the top 10 for posting.
radbitch, JessJen, Cathy, Lorrie Henson, navytwinmom, Stephanie Long,NukeWifeKW,Tina,llamagramma, Dawne Settecerri, and nuke_girl are all in the top 200 posters list (out of 9452 users).

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:43 »
Actually, 32 members have 'female' selecten in their profile, who rank in the top 200 highest posters:

Key: Name - How many messages they posted
camellablack   1338
radgal   462
radbitch   348
jesjensen   331
Cathy   212
straphael   203
JrHPGal   149
navytwinmom   137
StephanieALong   101
fluxmama   100
Kime_B   94
NukeWifeKW   71
Tina   63
Evilpixie   51
JillQ   42
cairnit   40
ruth13   39
jovynomad   39
deerci   39
dawnes   39
nuke_girl   37
Eightmile   36
lowlrc   35
cruella   34
nothinbuttrouble   32
nukerecruiter   28
foreverajr   28
zippy   27
oldodge52   27
amondul   25
dangergirl   24
trailorqueen   23
maggie352000   22
ladynuke   19
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 09:48 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:46 »
A total of 149 ladies have posted something in the forum:

camellablack
radgal
radbitch
jesjensen
Cathy
straphael
JrHPGal
navytwinmom
StephanieALong
fluxmama
Kime_B
NukeWifeKW
Tina
Evilpixie
JillQ
cairnit
ruth13
jovynomad
deerci
dawnes
nuke_girl
Eightmile
lowlrc
cruella
nothinbuttrouble
nukerecruiter
foreverajr
zippy
oldodge52
amondul
dangergirl
trailorqueen
maggie352000
ladynuke
NJ
dks860
bheinz
stewdill
dawnlee
k-linegirl
girlnuke
basketlady
rabbit
Sherry
irishfan
hatched
dnutting
yankee
lonelylady
lilbit
inyourface
Draonc
newdeconner
hml
badradbabe
YO!
dymaris
Rahrah
Pezzle
tinkerlow
radconii57
KJC88
TE
aubergine63
Sandralike
sopdyke
lilnukee
RedHacker
morwyn
bethlehemstarr
HarleyNukeWife
dykeHP
christinemarie
geek_chic
sarahm86
zammis
tera_rogue
msrichardson
heavensrose22
geobond005
gato-rojo
abc123
azna
FishShocker
donthaveacurefor
russysgirl
zoomzoomie
garcma
areswarren
VondaP
lrunget
iiiisx3
plaun
moochiebubble
Kathy
Jules
housenuke
AmyrobinUT
eldeelf
ALARA_WITCH
mtn.girl
jorji
Newbie Nukie
ponyexpress
Foxy Silver
Bombshell
edieataylor
pitbull03
Anitatech
Amyl70
dhk
longhornllama
cmumess
ClassyLadyIL3
chilinpepper
urbanxmermaid
ldill
KingMD
nukeswife
AOVWIFE
radwench
nucgal
Hellen
Miss Robin P
looneynuke
eggplant50
Jenerou
navywife85
Missy_Ghone
bandbdeb
stormy_nite
rocketman51104
candi
NavyAmy
keltay3
mskia
tinyredbox
gakelton
jheil001
mind_in_disguise
nukie33035
Neon_Natalie
maddscientist
limbo
LadyVol
Dee_Davis
cms
baaadkitty

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:48 »
It is two things:

70-80% of this industry is men, I would guess.

Women aren't always the bloggers that men are.

It just hasn't caught on yet. Alot of people don't even know about nukeworker.com, but that is why we must spread the word.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:53 »
Of the 48 ladies online this week, most of them are active posters:

Username   Last Online   Posts
camellablack   Today   1338
radbitch   Today   348
Cathy   Today   212
JrHPGal   Today   149
ruth13   Today   39
bheinz   Today   15
KJC88   Today   7
RedHacker   Today   6
Anitatech   Today   2
bandbdeb   Today   1
Kime_B   1 day ago   94
cairnit   1 day ago   40
nothinbuttrouble   1 day ago   32
maggie352000   1 day ago   22
ladynuke   1 day ago   19
NJ   1 day ago   17
Sherry   1 day ago   13
nukie33035   1 day ago   1
Alice   1 day ago   0
FREEMANO   1 day ago   0
gatorgal   1 day ago   0
the hag   1 day ago   0
deerci   2 days ago   39
oldodge52   2 days ago   27
radconii57   2 days ago   8
zammis   2 days ago   5
FishShocker   2 days ago   4
limbo   2 days ago   1
Katelyn53   2 days ago   0
GammaRae   2 days ago   0
navytwinmom   3 days ago   137
NukeWifeKW   3 days ago   71
nuke_girl   3 days ago   37
cruella   3 days ago   34
basketlady   3 days ago   14
YO!   3 days ago   9
TE   3 days ago   7
Amyl70   3 days ago   2
brandi   3 days ago   0
dks860   4 days ago   16
housenuke   4 days ago   3
roadweary   4 days ago   0
trailorqueen   5 days ago   23
lonelylady   5 days ago   11
inyourface   5 days ago   11
girlnuke   6 days ago   15
dymaris   7 days ago   9
QueenB   7 days ago   0

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:03 »
As much as people (men mostly) clain that we do nothing but yammer on all day, we sure are quiet on this web site.

Camella Black is in the top 10 for posting.
radbitch, JessJen, Cathy, Lorrie Henson, navytwinmom, Stephanie Long,NukeWifeKW,Tina,llamagramma, Dawne Settecerri, and nuke_girl are all in the top 200 posters list (out of 9452 users).

I know you are relatively new to the site, but based on your posts and time since you registered, you have an average of one post per month.

step up to the plate. Become a gold member and put yourself up there with that list you gave us. we would love to hear more of your input

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:50 »
The idea of this site is to gear topics toward Nukeworkers. There are more topics that are traditionally 'male' (firearms, hunting, fishing, sports) but that is because they are started by males (just guessing, actually) and that  is what they talk about. Women can start a topic about whatever they want in the 'non-nuclear' (i.e. Gold Member) section.

The male/female ratio on the site (counting all registered users) is 3.8:1, so there are almost 4 men for every woman on the site. Not surprisingly, there are far more subjects geared toward men than women. But most of the posts are still general in nature.

A 'women only' section would be self defeating. The women who do post on the general boards would be drawn away and the men would mostly stay out. The result would be less, not more, female representation on the general forum.

I think that one reason that there are not more women posting on the site is that despite the gains in the last few decades, there is still a lot of cultural influence on women to have different interests than men. There are still not as many women that would list 'politics' as a major interest, even though they are just as affected by it as men. Many (not all) women still see that as a man's domain. I think that will change in time with generational fading... i.e. what each generation teaches their children will close some of the gap. There are still some young girls that are taught that it is not 'their place' to speak up, but there are fewer than last generation and probably (hopefully) more than the next one.

Many of us remember when there were no females at all on a nuclear site outside of the administration offices. This is a traditionally male industry and due to its nature will probably remain so for a long time. Things are changing slowly, but they are changing.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:08 »
I also would like to see more involvement from the women in the industry.  I post when I have something I really want to say, but honestly some of the discussions (in the gold member area, particularly) seem to get pretty vicious.  And although I don't mind watching a good fight, I don't want to jump in the middle and get beaten up -  ;)  The exchange of opinions is educating, and I enjoy reading them, though.

We, as women, do have experiences that are unique in this industry, and I think it would be helpful to share them. I would hate to see it turn into a "man-bashing" area, or something of that nature, so don't believe a "women only" area is a good idea.

We do need to get the word out about nukeworker.  I must give the website to half a dozen people every outage, and I'm always surprised how many people work outages, and don't know about it.  Maybe Mike should send nukeworker stickers to new gold members - stickers on hard hats still seem to be popular. We should all put the nukeworker link on our myspace, facebook, or eons profiles, too. 
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:37 »
I also would like to see more involvement from the women in the industry.  I post when I have something I really want to say, but honestly some of the discussions (in the gold member area, particularly) seem to get pretty vicious.  And although I don't mind watching a good fight, I don't want to jump in the middle and get beaten up -  ;)  The exchange of opinions is educating, and I enjoy reading them, though.

We, as women, do have experiences that are unique in this industry, and I think it would be helpful to share them. I would hate to see it turn into a "man-bashing" area, or something of that nature, so don't believe a "women only" area is a good idea.

We do need to get the word out about nukeworker.  I must give the website to half a dozen people every outage, and I'm always surprised how many people work outages, and don't know about it.  Maybe Mike should send nukeworker stickers to new gold members - stickers on hard hats still seem to be popular. We should all put the nukeworker link on our myspace, facebook, or eons profiles, too. 

ruth13, great post. I agree totally. I would hate to see a man-bashing area too; these were just ideas and I thought of the women only area because of the Navy area. Keep up the good work at promoting nukeworker.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:51 »

I handed out over 100 stickers at Perry's outage last spring and I just came back here in May and I see them on hard hats everywhere. So, the word is getting out and they seem to like the orange design as much as the blue one.

I agree with somebody who posted earlier. A subscription drive.

A slogan like:

Nuke worker...its not just for men anymore
Nukewomen on nukeworker....See what the glow is all about
A little nuke for women too...
Nukeworker...the unisex website

Come on Mike, let's get it started!
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 11:52 by DaveWarren »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:10 »
I would love to see more women in here as well.  And, like the Navy section, would like to see a section for women only, but it also seems sexist and would upset a lot of the men in here.

I am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it since.  I've also worked for a supervisor that believed the little woman needs to be at home and not working at all, much less in the nuclear field.

I believe some new people, men and women alike, read some of the comments on threads and leave.  There is a lot of bashing of new people because they don't search for things themselves.  Some people don't have the time (or desire) to search hundreds of thousands of posts and pages when they are hoping to get a quick answer to a question that most seasoned professionals would deem simple.  They see how active the threads are here, as opposed to the 'other' site, and are hopeful of getting a quick response.  However, more times than not, the response they get is not favorable at all.  I fully understand the reasonings behind them, but to a newcomer, it's not very welcoming.  So why would they want to stick around, much less become gold members.

I fully support this site and have done so for a while, but I will not comment on some subjects, simply because I do not want to be bashed... and if I feel that way as a supporter of this site, I can only imagine how the new people feel.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 12:58 by Lorrie Henson »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:30 »
I would love to see more women in here as well.  And, like the Navy section, would like to see a section for women only, but it also seems sexist and would upset a lot of the men in here.

I am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it sense.  I've also worked for a supervisor that believed the little woman needs to be at home and not working at all, much less in the nuclear field.

I believe some new people, men and women alike, read some of the comments on threads and leave.  There is a lot of bashing of new people because they don't search for things themselves.  Some people don't have the time (or desire) to search hundreds of thousands of posts and pages when they are hoping to get a quick answer to a question that most seasoned professionals would deem simple.  They see how active the threads are here, as opposed to the 'other' site, and are hopeful of getting a quick response.  However, more times than not, the response they get is not favorable at all.  I fully understand the reasonings behind them, but to a newcomer, it's not very welcoming.  So why would they want to stick around, much less become gold members.

I fully support this site and have done so for a while, but I will not comment on some subjects, simply because I do not want to be bashed... and if I feel that way as a supporter of this site, I can only imagine how the new people feel.

Stand up for your husband, stand up for yourself. Don't let a little negative feedback keep you quiet.

feel free to put your opinions out there. let Camella, Dave warren, Cathy, Marlin, Marssim, Thenukeman, Rtroja and others be your inspiration. although we don't agree most of the time and discussion can get heated, we respect each other and look forward to the responses to our posts.

RedHacker

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:35 »
A 'women only' section would be self defeating. The women who do post on the general boards would be drawn away and the men would mostly stay out. The result would be less, not more, female representation on the general forum.

Oh, I disagree, we should have a women only area, and an African-America only area, and a Democrat only area, and an area for people with under $20k annual family income.  We don't need to bring people together, we need to divide them.

PEOPLE (not WOMEN) will post when they have something to say.  PEOPLE will become gold members if they feel it is what is right for them.  Stop worrying about what other PEOPLE do, and try to focus on your own issues.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:41 »
Thanks Smart People... I appreciate your response.  I will continue standing up for my husband as well as myself.... I just don't do well in heated situations because I will always say something that will come back to bite me in the behind... I'm not a very quiet person and do let my feelings be known.  However, I would rather not put myself out there in a vulnerable situation again..... but I will continue to comment in areas that I feel comfortable, as well as giving advise where appropriate.

RedHacker

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2008, 12:48 »
I am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it sense.

Shame on you, you let those bastards win.

The Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), affirming the equal application of the U.S. Constitution to both females and males, first proposed in 1923, is still not part of the U.S. Constitution.  

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (people) to do nothing."
This famous quote is from Edmund Burke who, as a member of the British Parliament during the 1700's, used his great oratory skills to influence the House of Commons by defending the rights of the American colonies and firing oppositional arrows at the slave trade. His statement is no less true today than at any time during the history of mankind. Wherever and whenever there has been oppression, there have been ordinary citizens like you and me who've done nothing to stop it. And we are just as guilty as the one wielding the whip.

Oh yes, I know it makes you uncomfortable to hear that - and I know we're all busy and distracted - but how can we turn our heads and pretend it doesn't happen? 'Isn't it someone else's problem?' I hear you ask. No, it's not. It's yours and mine. Ostriches have never stopped a stampede by burying their heads in the sand.

Is there anyone among you?

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:06 »
I do not see it as allowing anyone to win.  If anyone won, it was me... by not answering those that chose to make stupid comments to me.   I support my husband 100%... that's why I have chosen to travel with him and our two small children.  It's also my choice to keep my mouth shut.

dollydo

« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:22 »
What did your husband do that you have to stand-up for him?

Motown homey

« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:42 »

I don't know why you don't post more - but I use the guideline "I would rather stay silent and be thought a fool, than open my mouth and remove all doubt."  That being said, I've made my share of missteps and faux pauxes.  If you feel strongly enough about the subject, posting becomes an imperative.

illegalsmile

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:31 »
Roger cites a 4:1 men:women ratio in site registration. I don't have a count, but it seems to me that is a lower ratio than the ratio that exists in the work place. I'm sure the posts ratio is a lot higher than that, so maybe our discussions don't interest the female portion of our little family, or maybe, as Ruth said, the sometimes venemous nature of our posts intimidates them.
If subjects is the issue, anyone can open a new thread at any time.....so if you want to talk about gender-specific issues, start the thread, but if you want to do it without male participation, I don't think exclusion was what Mike had in mind when he started the site.
Ruth, don't be afraid of 'getting beat up.' For starters, most of us won't even know who you are, secondly, after a while, you actually start to like it, right DW?
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 03:14 by illegalsmile »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:34 »
What did your husband do that you have to stand-up for him?

It's water under the bridge and doesn't need to be rehashed... I didn't state that to start it up again, but rather make the point that sour remarks were made to me that I chose not to respond to.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:43 »
Yes, illegal you are correct.
I post with malice just because I know that the sect of conservatives will be spinning and twisting to their hearts content, and name-calling as soon as they read the post.

Ruth, Lorrie, Red Hack (sounds alot like Rennhack), you guys need to say what you mean and mean what you say. I am usually the prognosticator of most of the arguments, because I am the loud liberal. If I back down to these mean old bastards, my fight was squandered. So, join in and throw us a bone.

Cathy

« Reply #25 on: Jul 31, 2008, 03:37 »
II am not only a woman in the nuclear field, but also a wife.  I have been bashed in here, not for being a woman of nuclear, but for standing up for my husband and speaking my mind... I've not done it since.  I've also worked for a supervisor that believed the little woman needs to be at home and not working at all, much less in the nuclear field.

I know your husband and he is a stand up guy. Talking to him at work it is very apparent that you and your children are his number one priority. You should stand up for him and to hell with anyone who bashes you for it. You simply cannot take it personally. Easier said than done right?
I too have worked for that supervisor many times at many different outages. At first it bothered me, really pissed me off. One day, it dawned on me, I get paid the same either way. It is not a reflection of my ability to do my job, it is a reflection on how narrow minded and ignorant the person I am working for is. Plastics and a respirator, I can do that. Watching PCMs (usually in an air conditioned area  8)), I can do that too. There is no bonus for covering high risk jobs.

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:02 »
Yo. Let me put my two cents in.  If the gurls want their own site..then let them have it.  Doesn't mean you can't look and post.  I agree with the ones here that say they don't want to be humiliated in this public forum.  Some of you are down right nasty!  If someone new comes in and asked a question..it is not necessary to belittle them and correct their grammer.  For GODS sake you aren't making any new members that way. This is not a bashing board!  If you don't want to help them out..just don't post your negativeness. Let someone else help them out.  After being out of the business for 18 years (and thats why) I came back and ya know..nothing has changed.  Back stabbin is the past time.  I think everyone need to have LIFE COACHING.  Some of you don't get it or just don't have a life.  There are more important things in life than climbing the ladder at someone else's expense.  I saw people bashing others about other work sites..that site and just trying to ruin others credibility.  A woman says something and they are labeled a B***h and a man says the same and they are one of the "good ole boys".  Well boys...I think its time the rules of the game should change..  So to the man who told me at Oconee.."You need to be more like a Southern woman..they know their place"  to him those like him need to see who the worker bees really are....and  :-* my **.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:05 »
wow, great posts all...

I would like to say that I often feel alone here on the site. I can usually count on Cathy to get involved and once in a while Lorrie. I of course am outside the norm and post away (please note that many, many of my posts are through the lodging area) but it was not always that way.

When I first began I jumped in and began updating the lodging section not realizing that I was crowding the front page with the posts and boy did HydroDave let me and others know. I actually cried, I was so embarassed as I used my name and well it really hurt my feelings but he said sorry and I got over it.

I have been a member several years and yes I have been hurt by posts, embarassed and ticked off to boot but I've hung in there, taken a break when needed, im'd Tom for guidance and struck back at times. But I love nukeworker, it has provided me with guidance when looking for lodging, a group of friends to talk politics, religion and other hot topics with and a way to keep up with old friends while making new ones.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:09 »
Yo. Let me put my two cents in.  If the gurls want their own site..then let them have it.  Doesn't mean you can't look and post.  I agree with the ones here that say they don't want to be humiliated in this public forum.  Some of you are down right nasty!  If someone new comes in and asked a question..it is not necessary to belittle them and correct their grammer.  For GODS sake you aren't making any new members that way. This is not a bashing board!  If you don't want to help them out..just don't post your negativeness. Let someone else help them out.  After being out of the business for 18 years (and thats why) I came back and ya know..nothing has changed.  Back stabbin is the past time.  I think everyone need to have LIFE COACHING.  Some of you don't get it or just don't have a life.  There are more important things in life than climbing the ladder at someone else's expense.  I saw people bashing others about other work sites..that site and just trying to ruin others credibility.  A woman says something and they are labeled a B***h and a man says the same and they are one of the "good ole boys".  Well boys...I think its time the rules of the game should change..  So to the man who told me at Oconee.."You need to be more like a Southern woman..they know their place"  to him those like him need to see who the worker bees really are....and  :-* my **.

Bravo. I have worn the B label myself, especially here on nukeworker, but what most guys don't realize is that many women wear this as a badge of honor. I am proud to be a strong, independent, outspoken, amazon woman and if that makes me a b*&(H well so be it. As far as a Southern woman knowing her place, I bet he didn't say that to his momma or his truly Southern wife without a slap in the mouth or to the side of his head.  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2008, 09:16 by Camella Black »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:11 »
wow, great posts all...

I would like to say that I often feel alone here on the site. I can usually count on Cathy to get involved and once in a while Lorrie. I of course am outside the norm and post away (please note that many, many of my posts are through the lodging area) but it was not always that way.

When I first began I jumped in and began updating the lodging section not realizing that I was crowding the front page with the posts and boy did HydroDave let me and others know. I actually cried, I was so embarassed as I used my name and well it really hurt my feelings but he said sorry and I got over it.

I have been a member several years and yes I have been hurt by posts, embarassed and ticked off to boot but I've hung in there, taken a break when needed, im'd Tom for guidance and struck back at times. But I love nukeworker, it has provided me with guidance when looking for lodging, a group of friends to talk politics, religion and other hot topics with and a way to keep up with old friends while making new ones.

Well Said.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:16 »
I got your point.  Apparently you missed mine.  My post wasn't directed at you, I just quoted you.  You must be such an import person to assume everything is directed at you.

Tell me this, if I was agreeing with you, then why would you attack me?  All I see is more of that angry man syndrome that Lori talked about.    Candy and flowers will do for an apology… unless you want me to stop posting… I feel that every time I post anything RDTroja attacks me.  Something should be done about that monster.  Are you a wife beater too?  I know she deserved it; she opened her mouth and agreed with you.

Perhaps I should start every post with " RDTroja , this isn't about you.
Oh Snap!!
She really is my daughter!
At last, the truth echoed by more than just TVOLS and myself.
Things are starting to look grim for the mean guy that picks on women (RED HACKER), rednecks(TVOLS) and veterans(ME).
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 04:19 by DaveWarren »

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:18 »
 ;D   They used to say "She's cuter that Christmas but meaner than a junkyard dog".  My reply was "MEN AND NUCLEAR POWER HAS MADE ME THE WOMAN I AM TODAY"
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 04:29 by NJ »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:18 »
I know your husband and he is a stand up guy. Talking to him at work it is very apparent that you and your children are his number one priority. You should stand up for him and to hell with anyone who bashes you for it. You simply cannot take it personally. Easier said than done right?

Thank you Cathy!!  You brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face!!  Yeah, I think he's a pretty good 'ol boy and I'll keep him.     ;D

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:22 »
;DThey used to say "She's cuter that Christmas but meaner than a junkyard dog".  My reply was "MEN AND NUCLEAR POWER HAS MADE ME THE WOMAN I AM TODAY"

LOLOL NJ... "they" have a saying for me as well... "she's as sweet as apple pie, just don't piss her off"....  ;D

RedHacker

« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:40 »
So to the man who told me at Oconee.."You need to be more like a Southern woman..they know their place"

God I hate that.

PAULTHEVOL

« Reply #35 on: Jul 31, 2008, 05:04 »

Its obvious by the amount of interest this thread has generated,that this is something that should be concentrated on...

What will it take for more women to start posting on here???It looks to me like just bringing that thought up in a thread has helped alot.

I think the answer is like SP suggested,more female goldmembers....I have been registered on this site since 2002 and rarely ever found anything that gave me the inspiration to respond with my opinion until I became a goldmember. That is where most topics become a lightning rod for opinions...
I would suggest to Red hacker ,that her sharpness in defending her position is very similar to what goes on in the GM area....
She should join immediately and I would guarantee that she would have an avenue for all that anger...Just kidding Red.
Seriously though,maybe the thread about becoming a gold member could show some of the interesting topics that are talked about ,and the wonderfully  entertaining responses that go with them....That is a real selling point.....
I became a goldmember because I felt like I owed it to this site for many reasons,but If I would have joined many years ago if I would have known about the entertainment value..

KJC88

« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:06 »
I figure I'll post seeing I'm a female and just joined the forum. I'm getting used to the forum format and where to post and who post and who gives the best advice etc, etc, etc.

Mostly, I've been reading. Why? I need and want information on NUKE and other outside Navy NUKE issues as well. I haven't posted as much simply because of the reading.

Why women aren't posting? I'm going to just assume here and say that if a woman joins this forum and doesn't post then it's on her for not posting. I don't think it's the forum's responsibility to go on and try to get women to post. If in the end they really don't want to and just want to lurk around to soak the information then that's just what they will do.

As for the women who are shy or feel left out or blame the men. I only see one person to blame and that's themselves for not speaking up and being afraid. It's the 21st century, even if you speak up, whoever you may be,  woman or man you will get both positive and negative views no matter what the subject is. So go ahead speak up, if you can't do it in a forum, online over the internet...then I wonder how you can do it in the real world where the confrontations may be a lot more harsh.

I am assuming a lot of the people here are at least over 18, or somewhat mature adults (even though sometimes it's fun to use the little kid in you, and I'm not saying that's bad), so go ahead and act like one. Women be women men be men but all together be ADULTS.

Post when you have an opinion, advice or something say, and if it gets heated up face it, don't take anything personal, no one is here to hurt your feelings maybe just slash your thoughts in half because they disagree. That's all. No true blood shed.

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:46 »
Hey Rennhack...where did your HUMMMM go?  Didn't want to get in this except for the stats??
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2008, 10:18 by NJ »

Alice

« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:23 »
My personal nuclear work experience has been a one month outage so I don't really have a lot to contribute to most of the topics. I'm mostly just trying to figure out if something will strike my fancy and motivate me to make some career decisions.

I think that most women have a thicker skin than to worry about what some joker on a message board is posting about them.  Most females over 18 have heard worse things in real life than "you're an opinionated [bi-otch]" from somebody they'll never meet.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:32 »
My personal nuclear work experience has been a one month outage so I don't really have a lot to contribute to most of the topics. I'm mostly just trying to figure out if something will strike my fancy and motivate me to make some career decisions.

I think that most women have a thicker skin than to worry about what some joker on a message board is posting about them.  Most females over 18 have heard worse things in real life than "you're an opinionated [bi-otch]" from somebody they'll never meet.

Welcome young nukeworker!!!

Ask upon us your questions you must (think Yoda) try to teach you well we will

your first Karma i have given you. cherish it well.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #40 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:37 »
Quote from Camella
Bravo. I have worn the B label myself, especially here on nukeworker, but what most guys don't realize is that many women wear this as a badge of honor. I am proud to be a strong, independent, outspoken, amazon woman and if that makes me a b*&(H well so be it. As far as a Southern woman knowing her place, I bet he didn't say that to his momma or his truly Southern wife without a slap in the mouth or to the side of his head.  ;)
[/quote]

Hey good one. You may be all that but I still  Love you anyway, just the way you are.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 09:40 by HenryBlack »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:58 »
Quote from Camella

Hey good one. You may be all that but I still  Love you anyway, just the way you are.

Thank you my kind and gracious husband, you made me cry.  I believe this is why we have made it almost 29 years, we love each other, faults and all.

forever and always, Camella

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #42 on: Aug 01, 2008, 12:37 »
OK, I don't usually jump in the middle of good discussion because most of the time I end up with hoof in mouth but here goes.  I believe that the reasons are as varied as the number of people on the site but if I were to condense it I'd say the major reasons are: (In no particular order)

1. Lack of respect, real & perceived.  Real disrespect is pretty self-evident and I believe we are all cognizant enough to know it when we see it and when we are RESPONSIBLE for it. 
Perceived can be as simple as not picking up on sarcasm, (Feel free to USE THE SMILEYS.  That smart-aleck grin or your tongue-in-cheek doesn't broadcast over the internet without them)  taking a sarcastic remark literally due to not knowing the poster or their style.  The solution to this one lies on both sides of the fence, think about what you're posting and think about what you're reading.  If it pushes your buttons just as quick as you read it, DON'T POST right away.  Write a response, look at it, and delete it.  You'll get it off your chest, won't make a new enemy, and in taking a second look LATER you might see it in a different light.  (OK, not always but it is worth a try.  ;) )

2. Hyper-sensitivity, many times caused by the reasons listed above, and at times caused just because "I'm looking for something to be ticked off about".  (Come on, be honest with yourself.  We've all been there at one time or another, myself more than I can remember)  Adopt what I like to call the "Ted attitude" after a co-worker whose attitude is "I'm easily offended by those who are easily offended.  Very little gets to me."

3. Experience, history, life.  We've already seen some good examples of that mentioned here and that's one of the things that got this whole thread started. 

What can be done to fix it?  First, foremost, top-of-the-list (Just trying to catch as many cliches as I can  :P ): RESPECT!  While we may not always want to hear what the fairer sex has to say we most likely NEED to hear it.  I can't find the exact quote yet but it was something along the lines of "Without women men would be nothing more than savages who shave".  We NEED the input of the women here on Nukeworker and we need to value it more, I believe we can all agree on that. 

We ALSO need to take this one step further and extend this to all of the NUBS, DINKS, NON-QUALS, and prospective Nukeworkers who are coming here FIRST to check out this industry.  While I can understand the line of thinking that says "They need to learn how harsh this industry/branch of service/profession/craft is so they can understand what they're getting into" there is NO NEED for it to hit a new poster between the eyes when their first post asks something that has already been answered just because we're tired of answering it again. 

Short solution: Don't post a smart*** answer just because you can!  This site was created to HELP, let's try to do more of that and take the belittling, personal attacks, etc.. "to the barn".  It contributes nothing to the discussion other than making that poster feel better about themselves and the attacked feel ticked off, stupid, and less likely to ever come back.  What do we end up with?  A group of crotchety old farts who know it all and do a poor job of sharing their knowledge with PEOPLE ($1 to Red Hacker) who want & need it.  THIS NEEDS TO END, AGREED?

OK, now I remember, nobody wants to read my rambling, over-analyzing theses where I say in 1000 words what most can say in 50.   :D  I apologize for the rambling but to me this has been personal for years as the older brother of 4 sisters (6 now counting my step-sisters).  I also realize that ALL CAPS is the internet equivalent of shouting.  It was intended.

Peace y'all,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

stownsend

« Reply #43 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:01 »
I got your point.  Apparently you missed mine.  My post wasn't directed at you, I just quoted you.  You must be such an import person to assume everything is directed at you. 
Are you sure this isn't DW with another avatar so he can get into the girl's only section and spread Obamaism? ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2008, 09:03 by stownsend »

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:52 »
Good post Tom.
Peace & Love
NJ

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
« Reply #45 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:48 »
Concerning the poll question, does that mean women who have worked in nuclear power, or women who have ANY connection with nuclear power?  My only connection is that my son will be graduating this month from Navy Nuke Power School.    Kathy VPNM

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
« Reply #46 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:53 »
Whoops. Never mind. Just answered my own question....it always helps to read the first post on a thread!     Kathy VPNM

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #47 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:53 »
Concerning the poll question, does that mean women who have worked in nuclear power, or women who have ANY connection with nuclear power?  My only connection is that my son will be graduating this month from Navy Nuke Power School.    Kathy VPNM

Women who are connected to nuclear power; we have a couple of mom's of navy nukes on here aleady. Welcome Aboard!

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
« Reply #48 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:58 »
Thank you, Camella.  Kathy, VPNM

KJC88

« Reply #49 on: Aug 01, 2008, 02:08 »
OK, I don't usually jump in the middle of good discussion because most of the time I end up with hoof in mouth but here goes.  I believe that the reasons are as varied as the number of people on the site but if I were to condense it I'd say the major reasons are: (In no particular order)

1. Lack of respect, real & perceived.  Real disrespect is pretty self-evident and I believe we are all cognizant enough to know it when we see it and when we are RESPONSIBLE for it. 
Perceived can be as simple as not picking up on sarcasm, (Feel free to USE THE SMILEYS.  That smart-aleck grin or your tongue-in-cheek doesn't broadcast over the internet without them)  taking a sarcastic remark literally due to not knowing the poster or their style.  The solution to this one lies on both sides of the fence, think about what you're posting and think about what you're reading.  If it pushes your buttons just as quick as you read it, DON'T POST right away.  Write a response, look at it, and delete it.  You'll get it off your chest, won't make a new enemy, and in taking a second look LATER you might see it in a different light.  (OK, not always but it is worth a try.  ;) )

2. Hyper-sensitivity, many times caused by the reasons listed above, and at times caused just because "I'm looking for something to be ticked off about".  (Come on, be honest with yourself.  We've all been there at one time or another, myself more than I can remember)  Adopt what I like to call the "Ted attitude" after a co-worker whose attitude is "I'm easily offended by those who are easily offended.  Very little gets to me."

3. Experience, history, life.  We've already seen some good examples of that mentioned here and that's one of the things that got this whole thread started. 

What can be done to fix it?  First, foremost, top-of-the-list (Just trying to catch as many cliches as I can  :P ): RESPECT!  While we may not always want to hear what the fairer sex has to say we most likely NEED to hear it.  I can't find the exact quote yet but it was something along the lines of "Without women men would be nothing more than savages who shave".  We NEED the input of the women here on Nukeworker and we need to value it more, I believe we can all agree on that. 

We ALSO need to take this one step further and extend this to all of the NUBS, DINKS, NON-QUALS, and prospective Nukeworkers who are coming here FIRST to check out this industry.  While I can understand the line of thinking that says "They need to learn how harsh this industry/branch of service/profession/craft is so they can understand what they're getting into" there is NO NEED for it to hit a new poster between the eyes when their first post asks something that has already been answered just because we're tired of answering it again. 

Short solution: Don't post a smart*** answer just because you can!  This site was created to HELP, let's try to do more of that and take the belittling, personal attacks, etc.. "to the barn".  It contributes nothing to the discussion other than making that poster feel better about themselves and the attacked feel ticked off, stupid, and less likely to ever come back.  What do we end up with?  A group of crotchety old farts who know it all and do a poor job of sharing their knowledge with PEOPLE ($1 to Red Hacker) who want & need it.  THIS NEEDS TO END, AGREED?

OK, now I remember, nobody wants to read my rambling, over-analyzing theses where I say in 1000 words what most can say in 50.   :D  I apologize for the rambling but to me this has been personal for years as the older brother of 4 sisters (6 now counting my step-sisters).  I also realize that ALL CAPS is the internet equivalent of shouting.  It was intended.

Peace y'all,
Tom

Thank you for posting this long post. It's better to clearly state what you want to say in a 1000 words than to use 50 and say it that way and have people misinterpret it.

I agree with you 100%.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #50 on: Aug 01, 2008, 08:32 »
 8) well said Nuclear Nascar!!!Bravo ! what started out as a nice addition topic, ends in attacks etc towards R J Troja (R.H.) and went way off track with the concern for all  women and their opinions and open discussions with all that use this site. so the issue I see is  just total disrespect for Camella making a good suggestion and a real good topic for discussion and getting other females interested and using this site!! so come on ladies get on board and see what Nukeworker is about and use it for all your needs and for any private comments towards someone use their  send private message reply section . so lets be adults and use this site for its intent.I am happy Camella went forward and opened this up.come on girls lets go and guys , give us your input when we introduce some ideas and concerns and experiences.I am one of those that would never respond to any of the topics til I saw this one.we all are nuke workers or are in a nuke family I am sure. so lets keep it clean and have the respect of one another that we all want to treated with.this topic should get some new women in nuclear on board. How does one get to be a gold member? .I could be interested !! thanks personally to you Camella for trying to do the right thing good job hope my little blah blah helps out some I will continue to encourage some of my fellow co workers women and men to continue using and introduce them to Nukeworker.It truly is  the best site to use out there and it helps us house folks a lot to stay in touch and see whats going on out there in the nuke world /keep up the good job  Mike R. I will continue to give my input thanks Camella for helping me to get on board..........

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Aug 01, 2008, 08:55 »
... How does one get to be a gold member? .I could be interested !!

So glad you asked- http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;sa=subscriptions  It's as simple as following the link and making the decision.  Whether you do or not, Thanks for asking and contributing to a good thread. 

By the way, I didn't really see any of the "discussion" as an attack, more people of passion being passionate and also learning about each other. 
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008, 10:06 by Rennhack »

-Bertrand Russell

mlslstephens

« Reply #52 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:13 »
How does one get to be a gold member? .I could be interested !!

You won't regret it.  For only a dime a day, you can feed hundreds of starving kids or read countless DaveWarren posts about why he believes the next president should be....

you thought I was going to tell you who he was voting for didn't you.  You gotta pay to play.  Come on over and have some fun.

Peace,
Mike

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #53 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:47 »
Well it seems so far that about half of the voters feel nothing needs to be done and the other half would like to see more women moderators. Perhaps in the near future more women moderators will be added. I encourage all female members to become goldmembers, volunteer to help out, post more and get involved, this will lead you into a whole new world and give you the experience needed to become a moderator.

Our site should always go with the flow of the nuclear business and from my research, more and more women are entering the nuclear field.

"The world´s nuclear industries, like many others, have long been a man´s world when it comes to job opportunities and advancement. But times are changing - women are breaking through proverbial "glass ceilings" and rising to top positions.

Seven of the nuclear industry´s most powerful decision-makers are women who head Nuclear Regulatory Authorities in Argentina, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Canada, Spain, Slovakia and South Africa. They are responsible for overseeing the use of radiation and nuclear energy in their States and enforcing safety regulations."

http://www.iaea.org/Resources/Women/power.html

KJC88

« Reply #54 on: Aug 02, 2008, 12:48 »
women are breaking through proverbial "glass ceilings" and rising to top positions.

Definitely in all fields possible!

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #55 on: Aug 02, 2008, 06:58 »
  8) Just a short reply to you Nuclear Nascar thanks for helping me  locate the Gold member site it looks pretty basic and I will get my contribution going...wonder if  I can give out Karma to some Ladies and Gents?  thanks for the article on women working in nuclear power good stuff Camella!!! :)   I am going to forward it to my peers...

justatech

« Reply #56 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:50 »
Our site should always go with the flow of the nuclear business and from my research, more and more women are entering the nuclear field.

"The world's nuclear industries, like many others, have long been a Man's world when it comes to job opportunities and advancement. But times are changing - women are breaking through proverbial "glass ceilings" and rising to top positions

Please review "Women In Nuclear" which is a global organization for women http://www.win-global.org/ Some sites in the United States have implemented their chapters which you'll find under http://www.winus.org/. If you're interested in implementing "WIN" at your facility I invite you to review this site for information. My company has established the "WIN" program and it has generated a lot of interest not only from the women but the men as well.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2008, 11:09 by justatech »

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #57 on: Aug 03, 2008, 10:55 »
Please review "Women In Nuclear" which is a global organization for women http://www.knuckleball.orgy/. Some sites in the United States have implemented their chapters which you'll find under http://www.wins.orgy/. If you're interested in implementing "WIN" at your facility I invite you to review this site for information. My company has established the "WIN" program and it has generated a lot of interest not only from the women but the men as well.

Your links didn't work for me.  Trywww.winus.org  I'm thinking the "orgy" at the end of both of your links might be the problem?  ;)
Heidi Wills

justatech

« Reply #58 on: Aug 03, 2008, 11:13 »
Your links didn't work for me.  Trywww.winus.org  I'm thinking the "orgy" at the end of both of your links might be the problem?  ;)

LOL.................. ;D  Thanks Ruth, I went back to my post and corrected this - it's the spell check - I use that and everything that the computer came up with I agreed to - I didn't realize it changed site addresses................... :-[

I wonder how many hits these two sites had today  :P

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #59 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:46 »
 :D Hi Ruth !!  thanks for clearing that up I went to look at that  site .wondered as I couldn't get to it either.it works now!!!  C YA !

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:57 »
Thanks for the link!  Now thats the kind of positiveness we need.  Are there anymore Associations out there or seminars coming up?  Not just for women but nuclear? Kudoes and Karma to both of you!
Thanks
NJ

Cathy

« Reply #61 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:00 »
Someone mentioned posting shopping sites. I am not much on going to malls etc...but I do shop online A LOT! Especially on that night off when you are on nightshift and have nothing better to do when you are wide awake at 2AM. You could have a thread for online shopping sites and why the particular ones you like are good. When I am on the road I have stuff sent to the lady that takes care of my house and she brings it over and puts it in the garage when she gets tired of looking at it. More than once I have come home to a two car garage full of boxes.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #62 on: Aug 03, 2008, 04:52 »
Someone mentioned posting shopping sites. I am not much on going to malls etc...but I do shop online A LOT! Especially on that night off when you are on nightshift and have nothing better to do when you are wide awake at 2AM. You could have a thread for online shopping sites and why the particular ones you like are good. When I am on the road I have stuff sent to the lady that takes care of my house and she brings it over and puts it in the garage when she gets tired of looking at it. More than once I have come home to a two car garage full of boxes.

Thats a good idea Cathy, I do a lot of online shopping also; but I love to hit the speciality shops of an area, you know, not the chain stores but the mom and pop stores and the boutiques, gourmet, hand crafts and antique type stores.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #63 on: Aug 04, 2008, 12:16 »

Is there that much difference in which ever Gold member you chose the price appears to be the same? any and all suggestions or preference would help me decide......
 thanx,
Di

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #64 on: Aug 04, 2008, 12:36 »
Hey Di,
I chose the "gold membership with no holds barred".  I figured more access is better - and I can stay out of any areas that might offend me. Not that I've seen much that I haven't seen or heard somewher else - like work!   :)
Ruth
Heidi Wills

bheinz

« Reply #65 on: Aug 04, 2008, 01:03 »
Well it seems so far that about half of the voters feel nothing needs to be done and the other half would like to see more women moderators. Perhaps in the near future more women moderators will be added. I encourage all female members to become goldmembers, volunteer to help out, post more and get involved, this will lead you into a whole new world and give you the experience needed to become a moderator....

I've waited a few days now to see the general concensus on the topic and finally decided to put in my word. I don't see the big deal with trying to get more women to post. To be honest I got a bit upset when I first read the topic. Not only do I have to worry about proving myself in the Navy, and then proving myself here at my plant, but now I need to prove to the Nukeworker community that I'm capable of posting? Sometimes people read a topic, and they have no intrest. Sometimes there is another person who already posted their same exact feelings and they don't want to copy what was already said. But every now and then I'm sure there is a great topic that really hit that person, and so they post. It doesn't matter if its a male or female. The post was done by a member of the Nukeworker forum, and that is all that matters. I really don't think more female moderators will do anything. Nor will a separate for Women only section. We don't need more things to separate us on this site. So leave it the way it is.  If a person wants to have their voice heard, they will post. If they really don't care, then they won't.

irishfan

« Reply #66 on: Aug 04, 2008, 01:53 »
  I have to agree with Frau.  Usually someone has already posted pretty much what I would have said...why repeat it?
I do enjoy reading a lot on Nuke Worker just kind of a quiet person.  And, usually my sarcasm is too much up front so,
I just don't bother to post.
Cat

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Aug 04, 2008, 03:49 »
Is there that much difference in which ever Gold member you chose the price appears to be the same? any and all suggestions or preference would help me decide......
 thanx,
Di

There is not much difference. In the No Holds Barred section you may find jokes, stories, words that could offend you, however some of them are pretty funny.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #68 on: Aug 04, 2008, 03:59 »
I've waited a few days now to see the general concensus on the topic and finally decided to put in my word. I don't see the big deal with trying to get more women to post. To be honest I got a bit upset when I first read the topic. Not only do I have to worry about proving myself in the Navy, and then proving myself here at my plant, but now I need to prove to the Nukeworker community that I'm capable of posting? Sometimes people read a topic, and they have no intrest. Sometimes there is another person who already posted their same exact feelings and they don't want to copy what was already said. But every now and then I'm sure there is a great topic that really hit that person, and so they post. It doesn't matter if its a male or female. The post was done by a member of the Nukeworker forum, and that is all that matters. I really don't think more female moderators will do anything. Nor will a separate for Women only section. We don't need more things to separate us on this site. So leave it the way it is.  If a person wants to have their voice heard, they will post. If they really don't care, then they won't.

Frau, no offense was meant towards anyone. As the lone female moderator I have been thinking on how to encourage other women to get involved on this site; not to prove anything but to help bring a woman's prespective to the forums. Recently the idea to encourage more women was brought up by Dave Warren in another thread and so I started this poll.

We are not asking you to "prove" anything to us, we are just asking that you join in on the discussions and what we could do to encourage you and other women to get involved. If there are topics you'd rather see, etc.

I would like to add that personally I have never felt that one had to prove anything to anyone but themselves. I encourage you to live life to its fulliest and be happy for you, not the Navy, not your coworkers or us here at nukeworker.

Thanks for posting!

mlslstephens

« Reply #69 on: Aug 04, 2008, 04:26 »
...but to help bring a woman's prespective to the forums.

Perspective???  Either way, Camella, I don't intend to be combative in this post but any way I word this it will come out sounding that way so I apologize in advance because this isn't my intention.

When I go to work, I don't see people as Women, Men, short, tall, fat (at least I try not too), skinny, red-haired, bald or a particular race.  I only look toward their technical competence.  When I come to the forum for information, I don't single out the guy comments from the girl comments and discriminate.  My question is regarding the non-GM threads where 99% of the topics are gender free; so why does bringing a Women's perspective matter any more than a guys?  Shouldn't we respect everyone's opinion regardless of sex?  Should we start a "bodybuilders" category?  No, of course not because I can go to bodybuilding.com for that.

Once again, I don't mean to start any arguments, I only wonder what your perspective is on your comment.

Peace,
Mike
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008, 04:27 by NaVLI4 »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #70 on: Aug 04, 2008, 05:47 »
Perspective???  Either way, Camella, I don't intend to be combative in this post but any way I word this it will come out sounding that way so I apologize in advance because this isn't my intention.

When I go to work, I don't see people as Women, Men, short, tall, fat (at least I try not too), skinny, red-haired, bald or a particular race.  I only look toward their technical competence.  When I come to the forum for information, I don't single out the guy comments from the girl comments and discriminate.  My question is regarding the non-GM threads where 99% of the topics are gender free; so why does bringing a Women's perspective matter any more than a guys?  Shouldn't we respect everyone's opinion regardless of sex?  Should we start a "bodybuilders" category?  No, of course not because I can go to bodybuilding.com for that.

Once again, I don't mean to start any arguments, I only wonder what your perspective is on your comment.

Peace,
Mike

NaVL14

My view on my comment? I think my comment was pretty straight forward. I and others would like to see more women join in on the discussions, especially in the Gold Member section.

KJC88

« Reply #71 on: Aug 04, 2008, 07:48 »

Peace,
Mike

I agree. One perspective of either gender shouldn't matter more than the other. While nukeworker.com is asking for more females to participate and come out of their shell maybe it's because the women here feel like they need a bigger group of females seeing it is overwhelmed by testosterone.

However, it is ONE field, not a BI field where it is individually separated on how many women and men there are, and that we need more of one gender to balance out the other. It won't happen. This forum is just fine the way it is, the few women that speak out good for them, the whole bunch of men that participate kudos to them as well...

If a thread is started and a woman posts, "X" opinion and a male comes in and posts "Y" opinion, then so be it, doesn't matter what gender posted it or if it was only males who did post and 0 females. I'm sure there are women who would have liked to post but didn't simply because they didn't want to. Women have the right to post, it's their wish not to and if they don't, they can't be bought to do so.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #72 on: Aug 04, 2008, 08:33 »
  I have to agree with Frau.  Usually someone has already posted pretty much what I would have said...why repeat it?
I do enjoy reading a lot on Nuke Worker just kind of a quiet person.  And, usually my sarcasm is too much up front so,
I just don't bother to post.
Cat

Sarcasm? We live on sarcasm!

Join in! ;)

mlslstephens

« Reply #73 on: Aug 04, 2008, 09:30 »

This forum is just fine the way it is, the few women that speak out good for them, the whole bunch of men that participate kudos to them as well...
Concur.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #74 on: Aug 05, 2008, 10:43 »
Hmmm...affirmative action for nukeworker.com , don't see the point.
There are just less Women than Men in this industry. I don't see why there should be an effort to encourage more to post. The ones that do have something to say and good for them, the ones that don't...don't. Big deal, there are plenty of guys in this industry that either just look around the site or don't bother to come here at all. Should we make a special effort to get them to post too?

Like affirmative action in the work place, actively going after a group to take a job or speak up on a forum based on race or gender feels wrong. It feels like it draws a distinct line of some kind between "Us" and "Them", Women and Men, Black and White etc. We all work in the Nuclear Field, some have an opinion or information to share and some do not. Seems good enough to me.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

illegalsmile

« Reply #75 on: Aug 05, 2008, 11:54 »
Hey!!!! I've got an idea!!!!! How's 'bout if'n Mike just removes the little gender icon and we go about our posts w/o knowin' if the other posters are male, female or any combination thereof!!!!
After all, we don't have indicators for race, religion, nationality or any other demographic indicator.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2008, 11:55 by illegalsmile »

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #76 on: Aug 05, 2008, 01:10 »
Hey!!!! I've got an idea!!!!! How's 'bout if'n Mike just removes the little gender icon and we go about our posts w/o knowin' if the other posters are male, female or any combination thereof!!!!
After all, we don't have indicators for race, religion, nationality or any other demographic indicator.

Spoken like a true man! I agree but the cat is out of the bag on some already and since I do most of my reading through the quick view, I don't see the icon. User id's such as Cathy, Dave, Nuke Mom, and Camella are a give aways.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #77 on: Aug 05, 2008, 01:19 »
I agree with you guys on the nongender idea.  Great point.  My question...why is the best restaurants..beaches..etc. at sites been moved to the GM area?  Is this a recruiting scheme?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #78 on: Aug 05, 2008, 01:27 »
I agree with you guys on the nongender idea.  Great point.  My question...why is the best restaurants..beaches..etc. at sites been moved to the GM area?  Is this a recruiting scheme?

Although off topic I will answer the question. No, it is not a recruiting scheme. It is an attempt to keep the site clean and neat. This cleanup was my idea but was approved by Mike and Tom. I will pass along your concerns.

Camella

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #79 on: Aug 05, 2008, 05:05 »
Although off topic I will answer the question. No, it is not a recruiting scheme. It is an attempt to keep the site clean and neat. This cleanup was my idea but was approved by Mike and Tom. I will pass along your concerns.
Camella

Anything not job related goes in the GM area.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #80 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:19 »
I know that having my own opinion on this colors what I see so if I've missed something please keep that in mind. 

I don't see this as a pitch toward any form of "affirmative action" for Nukeworker.  Camella and I have had this discussion via IM's for many months.  Sometimes this type of behind the scenes discussion leads to changes, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it leads to something being run up the flagpole to see what everyone thinks.  What the original discussion was centered around was what we could do to encourage more female posting and whether or not we even needed to do anything. 

My opinion was and remains that I think we need more female input here.  I don't think we need this to prove our "diversity" , fill any supposed quotas or anything along those lines.  Not to get into any GM type of discussion on it here, but men and women are different.  Anything that encourages more PEOPLE ($1 to Red Hacker) to post here is good.  I don't believe the suggestion was whether or not we need any Female Only areas either.

I'd also like to see more young people post here to get their questions answered rather than just lurking or not even asking their question.  A great example is the thread that PapaBear 765 started asking questions about the commercial industry. 

I guess my main point is not to read more into this than their really is and please continue to give us input.  It's the only way we can continue to improve the site.

-Bertrand Russell

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Aug 12, 2008, 06:37 »
Kudos.....
It never really matters to me whether someone is male or female. I usually don't get into the heated discussions although I do read some of them and LMAO. It's just not my thing to talk politics or religion.

As for men calling me a bitch! Bring it on...They don't call me the Hatch Bitch for nothin! 

How bout instead of putting male or female as our sex, we could put either YES/NO... Just a thought.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #82 on: Aug 12, 2008, 07:18 »
RB, don't ever lose that icon

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #83 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:26 »
 :) Hey Camella I  just signed up as a " Goldmember "   

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #84 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:41 »
Karma for going gold !!
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:24 »

Ditto on the Karma for going Gold!!  WTG!!   ;D

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #86 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:30 »
Ditto on the Karma for going Gold!!  WTG!!   ;D
Ditto the ditto.....
Heidi Wills

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #87 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:20 »

Thanks and Karma for going Gold. Don't forget to check out all the great thread in the Gold Member area and post, post, post.  :)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #88 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:28 »
I know that having my own opinion on this colors what I see so if I've missed something please keep that in mind. 

I don't see this as a pitch toward any form of "affirmative action" for Nukeworker.  Camella and I have had this discussion via IM's for many months.  Sometimes this type of behind the scenes discussion leads to changes, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it leads to something being run up the flagpole to see what everyone thinks.  What the original discussion was centered around was what we could do to encourage more female posting and whether or not we even needed to do anything. 

My opinion was and remains that I think we need more female input here.  I don't think we need this to prove our "diversity" , fill any supposed quotas or anything along those lines.  Not to get into any GM type of discussion on it here, but men and women are different.  Anything that encourages more PEOPLE ($1 to Red Hacker) to post here is good.  I don't believe the suggestion was whether or not we need any Female Only areas either.

I'd also like to see more young people post here to get their questions answered rather than just lurking or not even asking their question.  A great example is the thread that PapaBear 765 started asking questions about the commercial industry. 

I guess my main point is not to read more into this than their really is and please continue to give us input.  It's the only way we can continue to improve the site.

When I read posts such as this, I know why you are the lead moderator. We all could take a few lesson from you, myself most definitely included. This is what I should have said and could not find the word. Thank you Tom.

nobody

« Reply #89 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:05 »

Glad to hear Di is a goldmember. She always looked good in gold (and anything else).

As for more women posting, I'm all for it. Since this is a male dominated industry, we could use all the personal help we can get. Start threads that women are interested in participating in.

"What women want nukeworkers to know"
"Things mothers should have taught their nukeworkers"
"Best nukeworker fashions of 2008"
"What not to say to a lady nukeworker"

Invite the ladies to help us better ourselves. Di always gave great advice.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #90 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:00 »
Start threads that women are interested in participating in.

"What women want nukeworkers to know"
"Things mothers should have taught their nukeworkers"
"Best nukeworker fashions of 2008"
"What not to say to a lady nukeworker"

tyme two git started.  witch are ya gonna goe wit furst?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #91 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:50 »
 :D ok" Nobody" good selection how about you start the first topic from your list good idea Sloglo !

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #92 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:57 »
I'll help get this started:
Best nukeworker fashions of 2008:  has to be color coordinated scrubs, with a lanyard to match!

It drives me crazy to see the guys wearing mis-matched scrubs.....

Just kidding!  Don't smite me...... :-\
Heidi Wills

Cathy

« Reply #93 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:13 »
How about accessories to the outfit?
A folding mini knife on your lanyard.
A pen and coordinating sharpie on the same lanyard.
And while I am talking about fashion-
They need to make Orex in colors, everybody knows you don't wear white after Labor day.  ;D

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #94 on: Aug 14, 2008, 09:07 »
 :) RUTH13 Thanks for the help with finding my way thur Goldmember..... speaking of" best nukeworker fashion 2008" any ideas where to find some pink safety glasses just the frames have seen them out there but can't find  if  you know pass it on......I know guys you are all over this one ha ha

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #95 on: Aug 14, 2008, 11:51 »
any ideas where to find some pink safety glasses just the frames have seen them out there but can't find  if  you know pass it on

sounds like a call for mike to add a ladies section to the nuke store !! would be awesome to be able to order lanyards and safety glasses etc...i loved it when i was at STP they had a nuclear notions store with all that gear we love to accessorize with :)

kudos to you Camella

Kath
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Cathy

« Reply #96 on: Aug 15, 2008, 12:02 »
any ideas where to find some pink safety glasses just the frames have seen them out there but can't find  if  you know pass it on

sounds like a call for mike to add a ladies section to the nuke store !! would be awesome to be able to order lanyards and safety glasses etc...i loved it when i was at STP they had a nuclear notions store with all that gear we love to accessorize with :)

kudos to you Camella

Kath
Try this link:
http://ma.charmandhammer.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MAIN
Not only do they have pink safety glasses, they also have pink hard hats and other assorted safety gear.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #97 on: Aug 15, 2008, 03:11 »

kudos to you Camella

Kath

hey Henry makes lanyards in almost any color you could ask for; check your site and see if they are okay. they are made out of plastic lacing with a break away/safety catch.

I love the idea of women's stuff too!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 03:21 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #99 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:34 »
oh my goodness !! i just ordered some  wayyyyyyyyyy cute safety glasses lolol someone stop meeeeeeeeee...i love to online shop..and i got some real nice ladies cover-all for that hatch job we love to hate in Jan-Feb...lol

ladies get out your credit cards and run to Charm and Hammer

Kath
xoxoox

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #100 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:56 »
 :o 

Ohhhhhhhhhhh purple ones!!!!!

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #101 on: Aug 15, 2008, 07:33 »
 8) hey all thanks for this info on the safety websites etc  good job SLOGLO your the best sounds like you all did some good shopping, my turn ...........love the light pink can't find yet....

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #102 on: Aug 15, 2008, 11:53 »
once when i was working at Calvert i saw a welder wearing a pink support breast cancer ribbon on his lanyard..my response??? well that was a REAL man...you guys step up if you wanna show your nukeworker pride and support women to find a cure for breast cancer !!!!!

:) Camella ..ask Henry if he can make us some pink lanyards !! yeah !!!!!!!! lolol

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #103 on: Aug 16, 2008, 01:20 »
once when i was working at Calvert i saw a welder wearing a pink support breast cancer ribbon on his lanyard..my response??? well that was a REAL man...you guys step up if you wanna show your nukeworker pride and support women to find a cure for breast cancer !!!!!

:) Camella ..ask Henry if he can make us some pink lanyards !! yeah !!!!!!!! lolol

I already did. Just send me mailing address through im. I agree on the breast cancer idea too, everyone should support awareness for you never know who or when it is going to strike.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #104 on: Aug 17, 2008, 11:25 »
This is unreal! If I post something that is even questionable on being off topic, it gets deleted almost immediately. In fact I have had posts deleted that actually contained topic related stuff. There is a page and a half of off topic posts on this thread...What gives? Maybe it's because I gave up my gold membership...oh ya, deleted posts was one of the reasons I let it go.

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #105 on: Aug 17, 2008, 12:08 »
This is unreal! If I post something that is even questionable on being off topic, it gets deleted almost immediately. In fact I have had posts deleted that actually contained topic related stuff. There is a page and a half of off topic posts on this thread...What gives? Maybe it's because I gave up my gold membership...oh ya, deleted posts was one of the reasons I let it go.

You are correct the topic has strayed or evolved, all though not entirely off topic as it still revolves around the issues that women nukeworkers have such as where to find pink lanyards, safety glasses, etc.

I am sorry you deleted your gold membership and encourage you to come back on board. Moderators sometimes delete topics for being off topic, outdated, etc. I have been guilty of this in the past but usually attempted to tell the poster why except in the lodging area.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?