Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu More posting from Women Nukeworkers honeypot

Poll

What can we do to encourage women to post on the discussion boards?

Gear topics towards women
4 (7.7%)
Have more women moderators
13 (25%)
Have a women's only area
6 (11.5%)
Nothing
24 (46.2%)
Other
5 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: More posting from Women Nukeworkers  (Read 62377 times)

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
Re: More posting from Women Nukeworkers
« Reply #50 on: Aug 01, 2008, 08:32 »
 8) well said Nuclear Nascar!!!Bravo ! what started out as a nice addition topic, ends in attacks etc towards R J Troja (R.H.) and went way off track with the concern for all  women and their opinions and open discussions with all that use this site. so the issue I see is  just total disrespect for Camella making a good suggestion and a real good topic for discussion and getting other females interested and using this site!! so come on ladies get on board and see what Nukeworker is about and use it for all your needs and for any private comments towards someone use their  send private message reply section . so lets be adults and use this site for its intent.I am happy Camella went forward and opened this up.come on girls lets go and guys , give us your input when we introduce some ideas and concerns and experiences.I am one of those that would never respond to any of the topics til I saw this one.we all are nuke workers or are in a nuke family I am sure. so lets keep it clean and have the respect of one another that we all want to treated with.this topic should get some new women in nuclear on board. How does one get to be a gold member? .I could be interested !! thanks personally to you Camella for trying to do the right thing good job hope my little blah blah helps out some I will continue to encourage some of my fellow co workers women and men to continue using and introduce them to Nukeworker.It truly is  the best site to use out there and it helps us house folks a lot to stay in touch and see whats going on out there in the nuke world /keep up the good job  Mike R. I will continue to give my input thanks Camella for helping me to get on board..........

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #51 on: Aug 01, 2008, 08:55 »
... How does one get to be a gold member? .I could be interested !!

So glad you asked- http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;sa=subscriptions  It's as simple as following the link and making the decision.  Whether you do or not, Thanks for asking and contributing to a good thread. 

By the way, I didn't really see any of the "discussion" as an attack, more people of passion being passionate and also learning about each other. 
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008, 10:06 by Rennhack »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

mlslstephens

« Reply #52 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:13 »
How does one get to be a gold member? .I could be interested !!

You won't regret it.  For only a dime a day, you can feed hundreds of starving kids or read countless DaveWarren posts about why he believes the next president should be....

you thought I was going to tell you who he was voting for didn't you.  You gotta pay to play.  Come on over and have some fun.

Peace,
Mike

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #53 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:47 »
Well it seems so far that about half of the voters feel nothing needs to be done and the other half would like to see more women moderators. Perhaps in the near future more women moderators will be added. I encourage all female members to become goldmembers, volunteer to help out, post more and get involved, this will lead you into a whole new world and give you the experience needed to become a moderator.

Our site should always go with the flow of the nuclear business and from my research, more and more women are entering the nuclear field.

"The world´s nuclear industries, like many others, have long been a man´s world when it comes to job opportunities and advancement. But times are changing - women are breaking through proverbial "glass ceilings" and rising to top positions.

Seven of the nuclear industry´s most powerful decision-makers are women who head Nuclear Regulatory Authorities in Argentina, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Canada, Spain, Slovakia and South Africa. They are responsible for overseeing the use of radiation and nuclear energy in their States and enforcing safety regulations."

http://www.iaea.org/Resources/Women/power.html

KJC88

« Reply #54 on: Aug 02, 2008, 12:48 »
women are breaking through proverbial "glass ceilings" and rising to top positions.

Definitely in all fields possible!

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #55 on: Aug 02, 2008, 06:58 »
  8) Just a short reply to you Nuclear Nascar thanks for helping me  locate the Gold member site it looks pretty basic and I will get my contribution going...wonder if  I can give out Karma to some Ladies and Gents?  thanks for the article on women working in nuclear power good stuff Camella!!! :)   I am going to forward it to my peers...

justatech

« Reply #56 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:50 »
Our site should always go with the flow of the nuclear business and from my research, more and more women are entering the nuclear field.

"The world's nuclear industries, like many others, have long been a Man's world when it comes to job opportunities and advancement. But times are changing - women are breaking through proverbial "glass ceilings" and rising to top positions

Please review "Women In Nuclear" which is a global organization for women http://www.win-global.org/ Some sites in the United States have implemented their chapters which you'll find under http://www.winus.org/. If you're interested in implementing "WIN" at your facility I invite you to review this site for information. My company has established the "WIN" program and it has generated a lot of interest not only from the women but the men as well.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2008, 11:09 by justatech »

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #57 on: Aug 03, 2008, 10:55 »
Please review "Women In Nuclear" which is a global organization for women http://www.knuckleball.orgy/. Some sites in the United States have implemented their chapters which you'll find under http://www.wins.orgy/. If you're interested in implementing "WIN" at your facility I invite you to review this site for information. My company has established the "WIN" program and it has generated a lot of interest not only from the women but the men as well.

Your links didn't work for me.  Trywww.winus.org  I'm thinking the "orgy" at the end of both of your links might be the problem?  ;)
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

justatech

« Reply #58 on: Aug 03, 2008, 11:13 »
Your links didn't work for me.  Trywww.winus.org  I'm thinking the "orgy" at the end of both of your links might be the problem?  ;)

LOL.................. ;D  Thanks Ruth, I went back to my post and corrected this - it's the spell check - I use that and everything that the computer came up with I agreed to - I didn't realize it changed site addresses................... :-[

I wonder how many hits these two sites had today  :P

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #59 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:46 »
 :D Hi Ruth !!  thanks for clearing that up I went to look at that  site .wondered as I couldn't get to it either.it works now!!!  C YA !

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #60 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:57 »
Thanks for the link!  Now thats the kind of positiveness we need.  Are there anymore Associations out there or seminars coming up?  Not just for women but nuclear? Kudoes and Karma to both of you!
Thanks
NJ

Cathy

« Reply #61 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:00 »
Someone mentioned posting shopping sites. I am not much on going to malls etc...but I do shop online A LOT! Especially on that night off when you are on nightshift and have nothing better to do when you are wide awake at 2AM. You could have a thread for online shopping sites and why the particular ones you like are good. When I am on the road I have stuff sent to the lady that takes care of my house and she brings it over and puts it in the garage when she gets tired of looking at it. More than once I have come home to a two car garage full of boxes.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #62 on: Aug 03, 2008, 04:52 »
Someone mentioned posting shopping sites. I am not much on going to malls etc...but I do shop online A LOT! Especially on that night off when you are on nightshift and have nothing better to do when you are wide awake at 2AM. You could have a thread for online shopping sites and why the particular ones you like are good. When I am on the road I have stuff sent to the lady that takes care of my house and she brings it over and puts it in the garage when she gets tired of looking at it. More than once I have come home to a two car garage full of boxes.

Thats a good idea Cathy, I do a lot of online shopping also; but I love to hit the speciality shops of an area, you know, not the chain stores but the mom and pop stores and the boutiques, gourmet, hand crafts and antique type stores.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #63 on: Aug 04, 2008, 12:16 »

Is there that much difference in which ever Gold member you chose the price appears to be the same? any and all suggestions or preference would help me decide......
 thanx,
Di

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #64 on: Aug 04, 2008, 12:36 »
Hey Di,
I chose the "gold membership with no holds barred".  I figured more access is better - and I can stay out of any areas that might offend me. Not that I've seen much that I haven't seen or heard somewher else - like work!   :)
Ruth
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

bheinz

« Reply #65 on: Aug 04, 2008, 01:03 »
Well it seems so far that about half of the voters feel nothing needs to be done and the other half would like to see more women moderators. Perhaps in the near future more women moderators will be added. I encourage all female members to become goldmembers, volunteer to help out, post more and get involved, this will lead you into a whole new world and give you the experience needed to become a moderator....

I've waited a few days now to see the general concensus on the topic and finally decided to put in my word. I don't see the big deal with trying to get more women to post. To be honest I got a bit upset when I first read the topic. Not only do I have to worry about proving myself in the Navy, and then proving myself here at my plant, but now I need to prove to the Nukeworker community that I'm capable of posting? Sometimes people read a topic, and they have no intrest. Sometimes there is another person who already posted their same exact feelings and they don't want to copy what was already said. But every now and then I'm sure there is a great topic that really hit that person, and so they post. It doesn't matter if its a male or female. The post was done by a member of the Nukeworker forum, and that is all that matters. I really don't think more female moderators will do anything. Nor will a separate for Women only section. We don't need more things to separate us on this site. So leave it the way it is.  If a person wants to have their voice heard, they will post. If they really don't care, then they won't.

irishfan

« Reply #66 on: Aug 04, 2008, 01:53 »
  I have to agree with Frau.  Usually someone has already posted pretty much what I would have said...why repeat it?
I do enjoy reading a lot on Nuke Worker just kind of a quiet person.  And, usually my sarcasm is too much up front so,
I just don't bother to post.
Cat

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Aug 04, 2008, 03:49 »
Is there that much difference in which ever Gold member you chose the price appears to be the same? any and all suggestions or preference would help me decide......
 thanx,
Di

There is not much difference. In the No Holds Barred section you may find jokes, stories, words that could offend you, however some of them are pretty funny.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #68 on: Aug 04, 2008, 03:59 »
I've waited a few days now to see the general concensus on the topic and finally decided to put in my word. I don't see the big deal with trying to get more women to post. To be honest I got a bit upset when I first read the topic. Not only do I have to worry about proving myself in the Navy, and then proving myself here at my plant, but now I need to prove to the Nukeworker community that I'm capable of posting? Sometimes people read a topic, and they have no intrest. Sometimes there is another person who already posted their same exact feelings and they don't want to copy what was already said. But every now and then I'm sure there is a great topic that really hit that person, and so they post. It doesn't matter if its a male or female. The post was done by a member of the Nukeworker forum, and that is all that matters. I really don't think more female moderators will do anything. Nor will a separate for Women only section. We don't need more things to separate us on this site. So leave it the way it is.  If a person wants to have their voice heard, they will post. If they really don't care, then they won't.

Frau, no offense was meant towards anyone. As the lone female moderator I have been thinking on how to encourage other women to get involved on this site; not to prove anything but to help bring a woman's prespective to the forums. Recently the idea to encourage more women was brought up by Dave Warren in another thread and so I started this poll.

We are not asking you to "prove" anything to us, we are just asking that you join in on the discussions and what we could do to encourage you and other women to get involved. If there are topics you'd rather see, etc.

I would like to add that personally I have never felt that one had to prove anything to anyone but themselves. I encourage you to live life to its fulliest and be happy for you, not the Navy, not your coworkers or us here at nukeworker.

Thanks for posting!

mlslstephens

« Reply #69 on: Aug 04, 2008, 04:26 »
...but to help bring a woman's prespective to the forums.

Perspective???  Either way, Camella, I don't intend to be combative in this post but any way I word this it will come out sounding that way so I apologize in advance because this isn't my intention.

When I go to work, I don't see people as Women, Men, short, tall, fat (at least I try not too), skinny, red-haired, bald or a particular race.  I only look toward their technical competence.  When I come to the forum for information, I don't single out the guy comments from the girl comments and discriminate.  My question is regarding the non-GM threads where 99% of the topics are gender free; so why does bringing a Women's perspective matter any more than a guys?  Shouldn't we respect everyone's opinion regardless of sex?  Should we start a "bodybuilders" category?  No, of course not because I can go to bodybuilding.com for that.

Once again, I don't mean to start any arguments, I only wonder what your perspective is on your comment.

Peace,
Mike
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008, 04:27 by NaVLI4 »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #70 on: Aug 04, 2008, 05:47 »
Perspective???  Either way, Camella, I don't intend to be combative in this post but any way I word this it will come out sounding that way so I apologize in advance because this isn't my intention.

When I go to work, I don't see people as Women, Men, short, tall, fat (at least I try not too), skinny, red-haired, bald or a particular race.  I only look toward their technical competence.  When I come to the forum for information, I don't single out the guy comments from the girl comments and discriminate.  My question is regarding the non-GM threads where 99% of the topics are gender free; so why does bringing a Women's perspective matter any more than a guys?  Shouldn't we respect everyone's opinion regardless of sex?  Should we start a "bodybuilders" category?  No, of course not because I can go to bodybuilding.com for that.

Once again, I don't mean to start any arguments, I only wonder what your perspective is on your comment.

Peace,
Mike

NaVL14

My view on my comment? I think my comment was pretty straight forward. I and others would like to see more women join in on the discussions, especially in the Gold Member section.

KJC88

« Reply #71 on: Aug 04, 2008, 07:48 »

Peace,
Mike

I agree. One perspective of either gender shouldn't matter more than the other. While nukeworker.com is asking for more females to participate and come out of their shell maybe it's because the women here feel like they need a bigger group of females seeing it is overwhelmed by testosterone.

However, it is ONE field, not a BI field where it is individually separated on how many women and men there are, and that we need more of one gender to balance out the other. It won't happen. This forum is just fine the way it is, the few women that speak out good for them, the whole bunch of men that participate kudos to them as well...

If a thread is started and a woman posts, "X" opinion and a male comes in and posts "Y" opinion, then so be it, doesn't matter what gender posted it or if it was only males who did post and 0 females. I'm sure there are women who would have liked to post but didn't simply because they didn't want to. Women have the right to post, it's their wish not to and if they don't, they can't be bought to do so.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #72 on: Aug 04, 2008, 08:33 »
  I have to agree with Frau.  Usually someone has already posted pretty much what I would have said...why repeat it?
I do enjoy reading a lot on Nuke Worker just kind of a quiet person.  And, usually my sarcasm is too much up front so,
I just don't bother to post.
Cat

Sarcasm? We live on sarcasm!

Join in! ;)
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

mlslstephens

« Reply #73 on: Aug 04, 2008, 09:30 »

This forum is just fine the way it is, the few women that speak out good for them, the whole bunch of men that participate kudos to them as well...
Concur.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #74 on: Aug 05, 2008, 10:43 »
Hmmm...affirmative action for nukeworker.com , don't see the point.
There are just less Women than Men in this industry. I don't see why there should be an effort to encourage more to post. The ones that do have something to say and good for them, the ones that don't...don't. Big deal, there are plenty of guys in this industry that either just look around the site or don't bother to come here at all. Should we make a special effort to get them to post too?

Like affirmative action in the work place, actively going after a group to take a job or speak up on a forum based on race or gender feels wrong. It feels like it draws a distinct line of some kind between "Us" and "Them", Women and Men, Black and White etc. We all work in the Nuclear Field, some have an opinion or information to share and some do not. Seems good enough to me.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?