Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu More posting from Women Nukeworkers
honeypot

Poll

What can we do to encourage women to post on the discussion boards?

Gear topics towards women
4 (7.7%)
Have more women moderators
13 (25%)
Have a women's only area
6 (11.5%)
Nothing
24 (46.2%)
Other
5 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: More posting from Women Nukeworkers  (Read 62368 times)

illegalsmile

Re: More posting from Women Nukeworkers
« Reply #75 on: Aug 05, 2008, 11:54 »
Hey!!!! I've got an idea!!!!! How's 'bout if'n Mike just removes the little gender icon and we go about our posts w/o knowin' if the other posters are male, female or any combination thereof!!!!
After all, we don't have indicators for race, religion, nationality or any other demographic indicator.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2008, 11:55 by illegalsmile »

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #76 on: Aug 05, 2008, 01:10 »
Hey!!!! I've got an idea!!!!! How's 'bout if'n Mike just removes the little gender icon and we go about our posts w/o knowin' if the other posters are male, female or any combination thereof!!!!
After all, we don't have indicators for race, religion, nationality or any other demographic indicator.

Spoken like a true man! I agree but the cat is out of the bag on some already and since I do most of my reading through the quick view, I don't see the icon. User id's such as Cathy, Dave, Nuke Mom, and Camella are a give aways.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #77 on: Aug 05, 2008, 01:19 »
I agree with you guys on the nongender idea.  Great point.  My question...why is the best restaurants..beaches..etc. at sites been moved to the GM area?  Is this a recruiting scheme?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #78 on: Aug 05, 2008, 01:27 »
I agree with you guys on the nongender idea.  Great point.  My question...why is the best restaurants..beaches..etc. at sites been moved to the GM area?  Is this a recruiting scheme?

Although off topic I will answer the question. No, it is not a recruiting scheme. It is an attempt to keep the site clean and neat. This cleanup was my idea but was approved by Mike and Tom. I will pass along your concerns.

Camella

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #79 on: Aug 05, 2008, 05:05 »
Although off topic I will answer the question. No, it is not a recruiting scheme. It is an attempt to keep the site clean and neat. This cleanup was my idea but was approved by Mike and Tom. I will pass along your concerns.
Camella

Anything not job related goes in the GM area.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #80 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:19 »
I know that having my own opinion on this colors what I see so if I've missed something please keep that in mind. 

I don't see this as a pitch toward any form of "affirmative action" for Nukeworker.  Camella and I have had this discussion via IM's for many months.  Sometimes this type of behind the scenes discussion leads to changes, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it leads to something being run up the flagpole to see what everyone thinks.  What the original discussion was centered around was what we could do to encourage more female posting and whether or not we even needed to do anything. 

My opinion was and remains that I think we need more female input here.  I don't think we need this to prove our "diversity" , fill any supposed quotas or anything along those lines.  Not to get into any GM type of discussion on it here, but men and women are different.  Anything that encourages more PEOPLE ($1 to Red Hacker) to post here is good.  I don't believe the suggestion was whether or not we need any Female Only areas either.

I'd also like to see more young people post here to get their questions answered rather than just lurking or not even asking their question.  A great example is the thread that PapaBear 765 started asking questions about the commercial industry. 

I guess my main point is not to read more into this than their really is and please continue to give us input.  It's the only way we can continue to improve the site.

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Aug 12, 2008, 06:37 »
Kudos.....
It never really matters to me whether someone is male or female. I usually don't get into the heated discussions although I do read some of them and LMAO. It's just not my thing to talk politics or religion.

As for men calling me a bitch! Bring it on...They don't call me the Hatch Bitch for nothin! 

How bout instead of putting male or female as our sex, we could put either YES/NO... Just a thought.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #82 on: Aug 12, 2008, 07:18 »
RB, don't ever lose that icon
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #83 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:26 »
 :) Hey Camella I  just signed up as a " Goldmember "   

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #84 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:41 »
Karma for going gold !!
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #85 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:24 »

Ditto on the Karma for going Gold!!  WTG!!   ;D

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #86 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:30 »
Ditto on the Karma for going Gold!!  WTG!!   ;D
Ditto the ditto.....
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #87 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:20 »

Thanks and Karma for going Gold. Don't forget to check out all the great thread in the Gold Member area and post, post, post.  :)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #88 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:28 »
I know that having my own opinion on this colors what I see so if I've missed something please keep that in mind. 

I don't see this as a pitch toward any form of "affirmative action" for Nukeworker.  Camella and I have had this discussion via IM's for many months.  Sometimes this type of behind the scenes discussion leads to changes, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it leads to something being run up the flagpole to see what everyone thinks.  What the original discussion was centered around was what we could do to encourage more female posting and whether or not we even needed to do anything. 

My opinion was and remains that I think we need more female input here.  I don't think we need this to prove our "diversity" , fill any supposed quotas or anything along those lines.  Not to get into any GM type of discussion on it here, but men and women are different.  Anything that encourages more PEOPLE ($1 to Red Hacker) to post here is good.  I don't believe the suggestion was whether or not we need any Female Only areas either.

I'd also like to see more young people post here to get their questions answered rather than just lurking or not even asking their question.  A great example is the thread that PapaBear 765 started asking questions about the commercial industry. 

I guess my main point is not to read more into this than their really is and please continue to give us input.  It's the only way we can continue to improve the site.

When I read posts such as this, I know why you are the lead moderator. We all could take a few lesson from you, myself most definitely included. This is what I should have said and could not find the word. Thank you Tom.

nobody

« Reply #89 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:05 »

Glad to hear Di is a goldmember. She always looked good in gold (and anything else).

As for more women posting, I'm all for it. Since this is a male dominated industry, we could use all the personal help we can get. Start threads that women are interested in participating in.

"What women want nukeworkers to know"
"Things mothers should have taught their nukeworkers"
"Best nukeworker fashions of 2008"
"What not to say to a lady nukeworker"

Invite the ladies to help us better ourselves. Di always gave great advice.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #90 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:00 »
Start threads that women are interested in participating in.

"What women want nukeworkers to know"
"Things mothers should have taught their nukeworkers"
"Best nukeworker fashions of 2008"
"What not to say to a lady nukeworker"

tyme two git started.  witch are ya gonna goe wit furst?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #91 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:50 »
 :D ok" Nobody" good selection how about you start the first topic from your list good idea Sloglo !

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #92 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:57 »
I'll help get this started:
Best nukeworker fashions of 2008:  has to be color coordinated scrubs, with a lanyard to match!

It drives me crazy to see the guys wearing mis-matched scrubs.....

Just kidding!  Don't smite me...... :-\
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Cathy

« Reply #93 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:13 »
How about accessories to the outfit?
A folding mini knife on your lanyard.
A pen and coordinating sharpie on the same lanyard.
And while I am talking about fashion-
They need to make Orex in colors, everybody knows you don't wear white after Labor day.  ;D

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #94 on: Aug 14, 2008, 09:07 »
 :) RUTH13 Thanks for the help with finding my way thur Goldmember..... speaking of" best nukeworker fashion 2008" any ideas where to find some pink safety glasses just the frames have seen them out there but can't find  if  you know pass it on......I know guys you are all over this one ha ha

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #95 on: Aug 14, 2008, 11:51 »
any ideas where to find some pink safety glasses just the frames have seen them out there but can't find  if  you know pass it on

sounds like a call for mike to add a ladies section to the nuke store !! would be awesome to be able to order lanyards and safety glasses etc...i loved it when i was at STP they had a nuclear notions store with all that gear we love to accessorize with :)

kudos to you Camella

Kath
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Cathy

« Reply #96 on: Aug 15, 2008, 12:02 »
any ideas where to find some pink safety glasses just the frames have seen them out there but can't find  if  you know pass it on

sounds like a call for mike to add a ladies section to the nuke store !! would be awesome to be able to order lanyards and safety glasses etc...i loved it when i was at STP they had a nuclear notions store with all that gear we love to accessorize with :)

kudos to you Camella

Kath
Try this link:
http://ma.charmandhammer.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MAIN
Not only do they have pink safety glasses, they also have pink hard hats and other assorted safety gear.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #97 on: Aug 15, 2008, 03:11 »

kudos to you Camella

Kath

hey Henry makes lanyards in almost any color you could ask for; check your site and see if they are okay. they are made out of plastic lacing with a break away/safety catch.

I love the idea of women's stuff too!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 03:21 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #99 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:34 »
oh my goodness !! i just ordered some  wayyyyyyyyyy cute safety glasses lolol someone stop meeeeeeeeee...i love to online shop..and i got some real nice ladies cover-all for that hatch job we love to hate in Jan-Feb...lol

ladies get out your credit cards and run to Charm and Hammer

Kath
xoxoox
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?