Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I&C Exams/Certifications

Author Topic: I&C Exams/Certifications  (Read 49547 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
I&C Exams/Certifications
« on: Jul 31, 2008, 06:32 »
Hey, I assume the I&C techs take some kind of pre-employment exam (like the Northeast Utilities for RP techs) and/or certification exam (like the RP's NRRPT)...?

Could anyone clue me in on what is usually on these exams?  I am interviewing for an I&C tech position next week.  I've been going over all my old electronics study material, but if there are items I should focus on...?  Also, are there practice tests anywhere on-line?

Thanks! 
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Fermi2

Re: I&C Exams/Certifications
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2008, 05:32 »
I don't recall I and C Techs taking anything specific outside maybe the MASS which is a maintenance version of the POSS. It's more problem solvining than detailed knowledge.

Mike

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2008, 06:56 »
Someone sent me this link, which is a step in the right direction...

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/about/careers/search/skilled/test/ettstudyguide.pdf
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:11 »
Way back when, when I was making the transition from the Rookie League to the Majors I was going from Utility to utility taking POSS Exams. Davis Besse didn't require one but I believe that was the only plant where I applied that didn't.

The first place I took exams at was So Cal Edison. They rented a conference room in Sunny San Rafael. (No Pearly Sweet Cakes though and if anyone gets that reference report immediately for For Cause testing). Given I had broken elbows I figured the best thing was to apply for Chem Tech jobs and utilize my vast ELT expertise. They were giving their Chem Test exam on the same day as the POSS. The Chem Test was HARD!!!! It was all essay and solving problems. I got done in about 30% of the alloted time, the lady graded it then said wait a minute, made a call and asked if I'd consider taking the POSS test too. I'm like yeah sure I don't mind. I had to start in the middle of the test, then they held me over and gave me the parts I missed.

I ended up getting offered both jobs.

When I was with DTE I don't recall we ever hired anyone off the street into I+C. Usually if they needed someone an Ex ET from Ops would get the job.

Mike

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:51 »
Way back when, when I was making the transition from the Rookie League to the Majors I was going from Utility to utility taking POSS Exams. Davis Besse didn't require one but I believe that was the only plant where I applied that didn't.

The first place I took exams at was So Cal Edison. They rented a conference room in Sunny San Rafael. (No Pearly Sweet Cakes though and if anyone gets that reference report immediately for For Cause testing).

Shel Silverstein

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2008, 09:56 »
Shel Silverstein

Report to medical for For Cause testing Mr!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2008, 03:55 »
Just got this response from a non-nuke source:

"Transducer is the king of instrumentation.  Brush up on hall effect sensors/switches, encoder wheels, stepper motors, clutches, optics (led's that need to be cleaned and aligned), thermocouple (T/C's).  As far as the 741 IC, just remember it is an op-amp, and it will be attached to a board that you will most like replace as a whole as a last resort (board don't move and as long as you have clean power they don't break). "

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2008, 03:57 »
...and this is what someone had in a interview at a hydro-plant:

1. A couple of questions about true power...and how it is different from apparent power.

2. How the power meter on your house works.

3. Impedance in resonant circuits...series vs. shunt.

4. How 3-phase power affects the rotation of motors.

5. A/C vs. D/C in transformers.

6. AND/OR/NOR/NAND gates

7. Op-amps.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2008, 07:40 »
When I hired into my present utility, we had an I&C test which contained the following:
1.  Basic Electronics -- Resistor color codes, ohms law, KVLs, KCLs, capacitance, inductance...
2.  Power triangle type problems
3.  LOTs of detector problems...  LVDT, dry reference leg vented to atmosphere, atmospheric pressure changes, what happens to displayed pressure.. That sort of thing, for every different type of detector configuration you could imagine.
4.  Not much at all on PLCs
5.  No hard core stuff... encoder wheels, etc, but there was a couple transducer problems, RTD and thermocouples...
6.  No AOV stuff that I can remember, but maybe a question or 2 on reference leg's being cracked open on a 5 valve manifold.

That's about all I can remember!

Bill

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2008, 09:24 »
The AC vs DC Transformer question is real easy!

proud dad

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:13 »
My work is way down the line from you guys and most of what is written here is beond me,but still fun to read and learn.I must ask,what is a DC transformer?

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:28 »
You mean you haven't heard of those new DC transformers? 

Actually, I think the question on my test was sort of online with "Which of the following devices would be used to step up voltage in an AC circuit?"  or "A transformer would be used to increase the current in which of the following types of current?"  Something like that.  No DC transformers that I know of...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2008, 03:20 »
Everyone else probably already knew about tpub.com, but I just found it....

Quick info on a lot of topics, but I was especially interested to find the I&C portion of the nuclear fundamentals section:

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/

Offline hollywoodparke

• Light User
  • Game Back On, Hockey Rules
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2008, 01:14 »
When will you find out the results?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2008, 02:04 »
When will you find out the results?

Envelope please....

....and the winner is....

ME!  :)

Yep, I get to be an I&C tech!  Thanks for all the help from everyone who replied here or via PM! 

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2008, 02:27 »

Envelope please....

....and the winner is....

ME!  :)

Yep, I get to be an I&C tech!  Thanks for all the help from everyone who replied here or via PM! 

Congratulations. Now you can start bugging the RP techs about having to wear gloves to do sensitive work in containment.  ;)

Seriously, congrats and good luck!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:23 »

When I was with DTE I don't recall we ever hired anyone off the street into I+C. Usually if they needed someone an Ex ET from Ops would get the job.

Mike

Not lately Mike.  The last several times we hired techs, none have come from ops.  Why?  Simple, DTE refuses to hire any Navy RO's for ops because they know that they will bid out to maintenance.

John
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:49 »
Congratulations. Now you can start bugging the RP techs about having to wear gloves to do sensitive work in containment.  ;)

Seriously, congrats and good luck!

Actually, I was wondering...

...I know the RWP says double-everything...but would it be okay if I took my outer gloves off for just a second for this one adjustment...

...and how about if I just use onion skins for my inner gloves?

...and could I take one of them off for this super-fine screw?  I've got cotton-liners on?

Oops!  Now where did all that water come from!?!?  ;) 

Hey!  Since I'm probably crapped up anyway, how about we finish this job in modesties?  Sure would be cooler!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2008, 06:33 »
My work is way down the line from you guys and most of what is written here is beond me,but still fun to read and learn.I must ask,what is a DC transformer?

http://www.butlerwinding.com/elelectronic-transformer/pulse_transformer/

Pulse Transformers

The magnetic flux in a typical A.C. transformer core alternates between positive and negative values. The magnetic flux in the typical pulse transformer does not. The typical pulse transformer operates in an “unipolar” mode ( flux density may meet but does not cross zero ).

A fixed D.C. current could be used to create a biasing D.C. magnetic field in the transformer core, thereby forcing the field to cross over the zero line. Pulse transformers usually (not always) operate at high frequency necessitating use of low loss cores (usually ferrites). Figure 1A shows the electrical schematic for a pulse transformer. Figure 1B shows an equivalent high frequency circuit representation for a transformer which is applicable to pulse transformers. The circuit treats parasitic elements, leakage inductances and winding capacitance, as lumped circuit elements, but they are actually distributed elements. Pulse transformers can be divided into two major types, power and signal.

An example of a power pulse transformer application would be precise control of a heating element from a fixed D.C. voltage source. The voltage may be stepped up or down as needed by the pulse transformer’s turns ratio. The power to the pulse transformer is turned on and off using a switch (or switching device) at an operating frequency and a pulse duration that delivers the required amount of power. Consequently, the temperature is also controlled. The transformer provides electrical isolation between the input and output. The transformers used in forward converter power supplies are essentially power type pulse transformers. There exists high-power pulse transformer designs that have exceeded 500 kilowatts of power capacity.

The design of “signal” type of pulse transformer focuses on the delivery of a signal at the output. The transformer delivers a “pulse-like” signal or a series of pulses. The turns ratio of the pulse transformer can be used to adjust signal amplitude and provide impedance matching between the source and load. Pulse transformers are often used in the transmittal of digital data and in the gate drive circuitry of transistors, F.E.T.s, S.C.R.s, and etc. In the latter application, the pulse transformers may be referred to as “gate transformers” or “gate drive transformers”. Signal type of pulse transformers handle relatively low levels of power. For digital data transmission, transformers are designed to minimized signal distortion. The transformers might be operated with a D.C. bias current. Many signal type pulse transformers are also categorized as wideband transformers. Signal type pulse transformers are frequently used in communication systems and digital networks.

Pulse transformer designs vary widely in terms of power rating, inductance, voltage level (low to high), operating frequency, size, impedance, bandwidth (frequency response), packaging, winding capacitance, and other parameters. Designers try to minimize parasitic elements such as leakage inductance and winding capacitance by using winding configurations which optimize the coupling between the windings.

Butler Winding can make (and has made) pulse transformers in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. This includes; various standard types of “core with bobbin” structures ( E, EP, EFD, PQ, POT, U and others ), toroids, and some custom designs. Our upper limits are 40 pounds of weight and 2 kilowatts of power. We have experience with foil windings, litz wire windings, and perfect layering. For toroids, we can ( and have done ) sector winding, progressive winding, bank winding, and progressive bank winding.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2008, 01:48 »
When I hired into my present utility, we had an I&C test which contained the following:
1.  Basic Electronics -- Resistor color codes, ohms law, KVLs, KCLs, capacitance, inductance...
2.  Power triangle type problems
3.  LOTs of detector problems...  LVDT, dry reference leg vented to atmosphere, atmospheric pressure changes, what happens to displayed pressure.. That sort of thing, for every different type of detector configuration you could imagine.
4.  Not much at all on PLCs
5.  No hard core stuff... encoder wheels, etc, but there was a couple transducer problems, RTD and thermocouples...
6.  No AOV stuff that I can remember, but maybe a question or 2 on reference leg's being cracked open on a 5 valve manifold.

That's about all I can remember!

Bill

Okay, here was my (successful) study routine:

1.  Looked thru all of my old notes and texts...sometimes seeing info in my own handwriting, or a text I was familiar with, would open a floodgate of memory...and sometimes it was like reading Greek (esp. my own notes!)

2.  Checked out every book that was even remotely related at the two local libraries.  Since we have a pretty good tech college right here, that amounted to about 50 books that I gave at least 10 minutes to...and 15 that I read parts of in-depth.  I think it really helped to review a lot of different texts, because I became familiar with multiple ways of looking at & wording the same concept.  This can be very handy when you are taking a test from an unfamiliar source.

3.  Crammed hard for the last 2 or 3 days from the texts I found most useful.  These (in addition to my notes from college) were:

Electronics Math, R. Jesse Phagan

Electronic Devices, Thomas L. Floyd

Applied Electricity & Electronics for Technology, Rodney B. Faber

I also spent some time with the CET Study Guide...a lot of it is NOT applicable to I&C work, but I find it helps to take practice tests to get myself in 'test-mode'.  The CET tests were the only ones I could find that were even in the ballpark.

Review the post from "Creeker"...he was right on!

Also, study some things that you might not consider to be electronics or I&C...fuses, relays, circuit breakers, etc...

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation!  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008, 12:32 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:34 »
Everyone else probably already knew about tpub.com, but I just found it....

Quick info on a lot of topics, but I was especially interested to find the I&C portion of the nuclear fundamentals section:

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/

One thing about the tpub site...some of their information is questionable.  I would still recommend them to someone trying to get a quick overview of a topic, but would go elsewhere if I was looking for a text that needed to be 100% accurate...  (Kind of how I feel about MOST online info...)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 08:05 »
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/TRS387_scr.pdf

Has some industry specific information...

nietsni3

I mean a full fledged engineer, not just to start working as an engineer.
I want to do something with power distribution/transmission/electrical equipments/instrumentation and controls.

and what type of design standards and regulatory stuffs do i need to be an expert of?
and besides what i listed above, what other things i can do as an EE/I&CE in nuclear?

please be as specific as possible.
I'm new here. If the answer has been posted somewhere in the forum, please direct me to the right place!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 07:32 by nietsni3 »

Offline Gamma_Gus

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:08 »
I want make myself a better candidate for employment and a well rounded I&C technician.
What certifications are relevant toward current industrial trends.
What organization offers credible certifications for topics related to I&C (know of ISA, wanted to hear everyone's opinions).
I appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you
Gus

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:36 »
The ISA Cert is the one that keeps being brought up in any discussions I have ever had about certifications. I'm sure there are others but I haven't looked into them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?