Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

I&C Exams/Certifications

(1/8) > >>

UncaBuffalo:
Hey, I assume the I&C techs take some kind of pre-employment exam (like the Northeast Utilities for RP techs) and/or certification exam (like the RP's NRRPT)...?

Could anyone clue me in on what is usually on these exams?  I am interviewing for an I&C tech position next week.  I've been going over all my old electronics study material, but if there are items I should focus on...?  Also, are there practice tests anywhere on-line?

Thanks! 

Fermi2:
I don't recall I and C Techs taking anything specific outside maybe the MASS which is a maintenance version of the POSS. It's more problem solvining than detailed knowledge.

Mike

UncaBuffalo:
Someone sent me this link, which is a step in the right direction...

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/about/careers/search/skilled/test/ettstudyguide.pdf

Fermi2:
Way back when, when I was making the transition from the Rookie League to the Majors I was going from Utility to utility taking POSS Exams. Davis Besse didn't require one but I believe that was the only plant where I applied that didn't.

The first place I took exams at was So Cal Edison. They rented a conference room in Sunny San Rafael. (No Pearly Sweet Cakes though and if anyone gets that reference report immediately for For Cause testing). Given I had broken elbows I figured the best thing was to apply for Chem Tech jobs and utilize my vast ELT expertise. They were giving their Chem Test exam on the same day as the POSS. The Chem Test was HARD!!!! It was all essay and solving problems. I got done in about 30% of the alloted time, the lady graded it then said wait a minute, made a call and asked if I'd consider taking the POSS test too. I'm like yeah sure I don't mind. I had to start in the middle of the test, then they held me over and gave me the parts I missed.

I ended up getting offered both jobs.

When I was with DTE I don't recall we ever hired anyone off the street into I+C. Usually if they needed someone an Ex ET from Ops would get the job.

Mike

Smooth Operator:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on Aug 01, 2008, 09:11 ---Way back when, when I was making the transition from the Rookie League to the Majors I was going from Utility to utility taking POSS Exams. Davis Besse didn't require one but I believe that was the only plant where I applied that didn't.

The first place I took exams at was So Cal Edison. They rented a conference room in Sunny San Rafael. (No Pearly Sweet Cakes though and if anyone gets that reference report immediately for For Cause testing).

--- End quote ---

Shel Silverstein

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version