Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tom Selman - motorcycle accident

Author Topic: Tom Selman - motorcycle accident  (Read 38485 times)

Aerosquirl

Tom Selman - motorcycle accident
« on: Aug 07, 2008, 03:44 »
Tom Selman had a motorcycle accident coming from work Wednesday 8-6-08. A vehicle pulled out in front of him. He was airlifted to savannah.

Tom is at Memorial Hospital in Savannah in ICU Echo Trauma.  He has a broken right arm, broken left femur, broken ribs, fractured nose.  He also had lacerations on his liver, spleen, and colon in which he had surgery to repair.  He had quite a bit of blood in his lungs which they were in the process of draining.  But he has no serious head trauma.

The doc said to expect at least 4-5 days in ICU and 2 weeks in the hospital. He’s very lucky.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: Tom Selman - motorcycle accident
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2008, 04:01 »
Tom, you and your family are in our prayers.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

shovelheadred

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2008, 04:19 »
...Tom, You are in my prayers...Bud

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2008, 05:37 »
Pappy - you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.  Hang in there......Ruth
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2008, 06:34 »
Tom, We praying for you man!
Russell Morris

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:23 »
I hate to hear of this. You are in my thoughts Tom, I wish a speedy recovery. I too love to ride but it is just that other drivers don't pay attention no matter how safe you try to be. Tom is such a good guy, I'm glad to hear that he is still with us after such a bad accident.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2008, 08:38 »
I am very sorry to hear about this but glad the prognosis is as good as it is. Add my prayers to the list. Keep the spirits up, Tom... your attitude makes as much difference as the doctors' skill, now.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Valkrider

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2008, 09:26 »
I never met Tom, but as a fellow motorcycle rider I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Hope the driver that caused the accident is held accountable and doesn't just get a slap on the wrist.  A lot of states now have laws that drivers that cause these types of accidents(right of way violations) are held to a higher accountability and lose their privelege to drive for at least 1 year, along with hefty fines.

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2008, 10:56 »
Sorry to hear about the accident Tom. Stay in good spirits and don't chase the nurses......too much  ;).

Penny

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2008, 12:40 »
 :( hey Tom
I  heard about the accident  I am so sorry and my prayers are with you and hope for your speedy recovery .It was just a year ago in May you fought another battle so you can pull thur this my friend.with the love of all your friends , and family you will get back on your feet soon.I will keep in touch with our pals in Georgia to see how your progress is going.  stay strong and see ya soon...........

ladyinrad

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:02 »
Tom,

My thoughts have been with you since working with you at the INL. Here is to a speedy recovery!

LA

Offline jmurphy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2008, 02:42 »
Saying a prayer for you Tom.........Get well.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2008, 05:49 »
I worked with tom at st lucie.Me and my wife would like to wish him well and to get well soon.
GOD BLESS

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:26 »
Anybody have an update on Tom's condition?
Heidi Wills

Offline liam

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:47 »
Pappy,

I pray for your speedy recovery.  Hope to see you at Cook again!

Larry

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:06 »
As a fellow biker I wish you a speedy recovery and will keep you in my prayers.
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

nobody

« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:54 »
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

...nurses, sponge baths, demerol. When given lemons, make lemonade.

Offline lauriedude

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2008, 08:39 »
I spoke with Tom's mother this afternoon when she was on her way over there.  Tom is in an induced coma, they had to do a tracheotomy on him, he's on a respirator, broken femur, opposite broken arm and internal injuries.  She said he was being a tiny bit alert but no great recovery.  It's going to take him a long time to recover from this. He's very lucky (from what I understand) that he wasn't killed.  I think Tom and his family really need our prayers at this time.  So please everyone, keep him and his family in your prayers.   Like Di said, he just went through something horrendous last year.  I will update as I hear from Tom's mother.  His daughter is there now from Arkansas so maybe that Wall help.

Once again, this teaches us that you cannot take anything for granted.  Not the next day, nor the next minute.  One thing Tom was trying to teach me was to enjoy each day and moment as if it were your last.

He needs your prayers, or whatever positive thoughts you can give him.

Thank you, 8) 8)

Laurie Duda

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2008, 08:56 »
hey Laurie thanks for this update We all need to keep Tom and his family in our prayers and thoughts and hope he pulls thru this ordeal..he was so very lucky .please continue your support in any way possible at this time . Laurie email me at my home email address if you want too..

Aerosquirl

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:42 »
Hey, I called the hospital today to get in touch with Tom or someone or family members, they said there was no Tom Selman in that hospital. We have a biker ministry at our church and we were going to go see him pray with and for him. Maybe I have the wrong hospital. Anyone know different?? ???

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2008, 04:50 »
I did get a message from someone that has been in touch and Tom is improving everyday but has a very long road ahead of him with his recovery.please continue to keep Tom and his family in our prayers..I am waiting to get the hospital location and number again and pass it along when I get it as well.
Di

Offline Thee original Mongo

• Very Lite User
  • Outta the biz.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 26, 2008, 09:16 »
I  have been in touch with someone who went to visit Pappy in the hospital. Below is the note that she sent me regarding his recovery.

Ray Romanowicz... AKA.. Mongo

Thank you all for your concern. A friend and I drove down and back to Savannah today (4 hours each way, not counting the monsoon on the way home) and I’ve included the update below. After 15 days in ICU, he is on the way back up, but what a long way it will be. Please feel free to post this to nukeworker. com.

Christy

Hey all,

We just swam back home, and man, it was a chore! The rain started just this side of Savannah and hasn’t let up yet, the last hour or so was a real white-knuckle driving experience for me!

Tom is doing ok. He is in a regular room now, and off of most of the tubes and machines. He is doing regular breathing treatments and they gave him a fluid IV today because he’s not really getting enough food and liquids down. His throat still has a hole from the vent tube, but it should be healing quickly. He’s got a fractured neck and will be in a neck brace for 90 days. His broken right arm is in an immobilizer cast, and his left leg has a metal rod running the length of his thigh. He is a little loopy from the drugs, but his eyes are bright, he is very coherent and rather chatty (try being unconscious and unable to speak for more than 2 weeks, and see how chatty you become!) What they thought was road rash is actually probably burns from the motorcycle muffler and from laying on 100+ degree pavement for an extended period of time. They are concerned about his lungs and the possibility of pneumonia, and he has developed a small blood clot in his right leg which they started treating today with Coumadin. He is certainly on the road to recovery, but not completely out of the woods yet, PLEASE keep your good healing energy coming. We told him that lots of good energy had been flowing his way, and he said he had been aware of it, and is most grateful.

Do not call him. He is not able to answer a phone or take messages right now. His mom has his cell phone, but does not check the voice mails. DO write to him. He is just now able to appreciate cards and letters coming in, and will continue to need them. He is a long way from home, and has a very long time ahead of him in the hospital and then at home in recovery.

His attitude is great. He figures he lived through this because his time is not up yet, and is very positive about his recovery.

Cecil Thomas Selman
Savannah Memorial Hospital
4700 Waters Ave.
Room 557
Savannah, GA 31404

Ray Romanowicz... AKA Mongo

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 26, 2008, 04:58 »
 8) hey Mongo!! thanks for this update on Tom!!  I am  sure there are alot of us out here that appreciate this info, thanks
Di

cfradgal

« Reply #23 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:04 »
I visited Tom today(Tues, 8-26) I am in awe of how well he is doing since I saw him Friday, 8-15, when he was still in Trauma ICU.  I will just update you since the post that Mongo had is pretty much the same. Great news!!! They are moving Tom to the Rehabilitation part of the hospital(so the room number will change) today or tomorrow.  This is where it is going to get tough, but he knows it will take this to get home.  He is so ready to get out of there. So I'm confident he's going to do his best.

They removed Tom's arm cast.  His right elbow was dislocated in the accident and believe it or not, that will be one of the hardest parts of the body to rehab. He is still doing the breathing treatments. Eating is not easy, but they give him Ensure between meals, so he is getting nutrients. He still has the IV though. 

He is in such good spirits.  But I know he would love to hear from everyone through cards or letters. The situation is still the same as far as phone calls.  His mom gets his cell phone calls, but not his voice mails.  He is talking very well, but I could tell he was getting tired after a few minutes. So do not call him at the hospital.  The address is still the same as listed in Mongo's post, but be sure to put CECIL TOM SELMAN. They will not know who Tom is or have him registered that way.  You can put in care of the Rehabilitation Center.

He still needs your thoughts, prayers, and healing energy!!!!

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2008, 04:15 »
Tommy,

CC and I are wishing you a speedy recovery...get in touch when you can........!

ljeanniepc

« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2008, 07:48 »
Tom, 

Just heard about your accident. Sounds like you're on the mend. Your in my prayers.  Take care.

Jeannie C.

Offline Thee original Mongo

• Very Lite User
  • Outta the biz.
« Reply #26 on: Sep 07, 2008, 06:04 »
More info about Pappy:

Ray

We made the long day-trip down to Savannah yesterday to see Tom and hit the beach (hey, we were there, the beach was there, seemed a shame to waste the opportunity… :D) . Tom is doing GREAT. He is in rehabilitation now, and was sitting up when we got there and chatted with us for a long time. He finally got tired and wanted to get into bed, and we watched him stand (with help) and get around mostly under his own power. Considering the shape we saw him in last, this is nothing short of miraculous. The metal rods in his arm and leg are still in place, as is the neck brace, but everything else is gone – the arm cast, tubes, etc. He is flexing and moving constantly, doing his level best to get back up and about. He is currently scheduled to be there through the 15th, when they will evaluate whether they can release him to do outpatient therapy from there on. That may be optimistic, but he will quite possibly be out by the next weekend (his birthday) or the end of the month at the latest. This is barring any unforeseen setbacks of course, but if all goes as well as it currently is, it will be sooner rather than later.
The rehabilitation is very rigorous, and visiting hours are limited. It is 4:30PM to 8:30PM on weekdays, and Noon to 8:30PM on weekends. He’s in the Rehabilitation Institute, which is another building on the Savannah Memorial campus.

His new address is:
Cecil Thomas Selman
Savannah Memorial Hospital
4700 Waters Ave.
Rehabilitation Institute, Room 2213
Savannah, GA 31404

We are planning to go to his house and build a ramp up to his front door on Sept. 27th. If you would like to help out in some way (labor, financial, moral support) please contact me privately at:
kingstaste@comcast.net.
Keep the good thoughts coming, he is tangible evidence that they work!
Christy

Tom Selman had a motorcycle accident coming from work Wednesday 8-6-08. A vehicle pulled out in front of him. He was airlifted to savannah.

Ray Romanowicz... AKA Mongo

BadBax

« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2008, 10:17 »
Sorry to hear about what happened. Your strong so never give up hope. Lots of people care about you. You are in all of our prayers.

Ric_Flitton

« Reply #28 on: Sep 13, 2008, 04:24 »
Tom keep up the hard work and stay positive.  We are all pulling for ya!!!!!!

pappy

« Reply #29 on: Sep 15, 2008, 01:14 »
Hello to everyone that has sent prayers & good thoughts my way. Many Thanks! This is the latest update, now that I can get a little access to  a public computer.
     I am still in rehab, room 2207 now. I am currently scheduled to leave 9/18 to return to home for 3 weeks of outpatient therapy. I am improving slowly to positively. My right arm is working, but with limited mobility for now, but it is loosienng up. My left thigh is still real tight in the muscles, but I am able to put wieght on it. Feeding myself with no difficulty cutting food, walking with a walker & able to negotiate short stairs here at therapy.
     Here at the rehab center they do Wiihab, using a Wii game to help regain balance & motor skills & keeps you entertained. been doing a bit of that & counting down to getting away from here. I will update again as I can, time for therapy again....Tom

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Sep 15, 2008, 02:35 »
Excellent news Tom! Thanks for the update, we are all very concerned and anxious for you to get better. Keep up the attitude (positve helps) and keep us informed.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 15, 2008, 05:30 »
 :D Great to hear from you Tom everyone out here is hoping for your best and fastest recovery.I got your message and I was at work (imagine that)happy to see you got on to the computer!!I know you are so ready to get home but you have to take it easy as I am sure all is telling you ,please take care and call when you are up to it ok.let me now if there is anything you need too keep up the good physical therapy and you will be up and running soon and keep your positive attitude !! Great News!!!  ;D

Di

Offline jason

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2008, 01:24 »
I worked with Tom at Savannah River a few years ago and I am glad he will be ok. God Bless you, Tom.
Your friend,
Teresa Truett

pappy

« Reply #33 on: Sep 25, 2008, 12:26 »
Hi everyone!
     Just a quick update on my recovery. Thanks to everybody for the calls, cards,prayers, & visits. They have all been great encouragement for me. I am at my mother's now, doing outpatient rehab in Macon. Things are going well & I expect to be rid of the walker and using a cane within a week. My neck brace should be gone 10/22. Getting the remaining motion in mt right arm looks to be the toughest job right now, but I do have full use of the hand. just can't turn it to hold anything in the palm yet. It is slowly improving. I expect to be back at work within a  month, & look forward to seeing friends again soon. Thanks to all, Tom

shovelheadred

« Reply #34 on: Sep 25, 2008, 02:39 »
....Glad you are recovering well Pappy....When you get ready to rebuild that scooter let me know...Red

jonathanharper

« Reply #35 on: Oct 04, 2008, 06:23 »
6:45am.... knock knock.... morning tom.... how you feeling buddy????

my goodness you must be so happy not to be waking up to my ugly face!! haha

you are a wonderful guy tom and i was glad to get to meet you/work with you...

glad to hear things are going well and hope things keep progressing smoothly!

take care boss and keep in touch!

jonathan (therapist @ memorial)

pappy

« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2008, 03:50 »
Hi Everybody! Things are continuing to improve for me. The walker is gone, the arm is slowly loosening up. I have my appointment to get rid of the neck collar. I was pleasantly surprised to hear from my theapist at rehab that the weekly review of patients progress had the director shocked. He found it hard to believe I had progressed so far. Seems some people believe I should still be in a wheelchair. Not enough horsepower there, LOL! Still on track to try to make it back to work next month. I am optimistic, but there are no certainties. Thanks to everyone for all the cards, prayers & well wishes. Still keeps my spirits up to hear from everyone. And special thanks to all my friends at Plant Hatch & Southern Comp. You have al been great....TOM

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Oct 06, 2008, 03:57 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 06, 2008, 04:12 »
 8) :D ;D ;D :D :( :( 8) ;) great news Tom!!!

Di  ;)

pappy

« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2008, 10:47 »
First thing, I want to wish everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! If you are with your family, I am thankful you can share the holiday. If you are still away from home, I hope you can share it with the extended family on the road, as I have a number of years.

This year I am happy to be alive & celebrating the holiday with my family here in Georgia. Today I was standing at the intersection where my  motorcycle accident occurred and looked up the hill at the little church that overlooks that intersection. For some reason I saw that church a number of times during my recovery. I spoke with the lady that owns/works in the Center Hill store the accident occurred in front of and learned a number of things that occurred that day & since. And you could have knocked her over with a feather when she realized who I was. She also attends that little church. Seems a number of people were convinced I would not/could not survive. The warning speed limit there has now been dropped another 10mph to 35. Prayers were offered for my recovery at that church, along with the prayers of many others. Appears I had a lot of Angels.

I have been released from wearing my neck brace. I have been released from therapy for my leg & hand. I still have some damage to my rotator cuff that I am doing therapy for. Hopefully I will be realeased soon to return to work. My Right arm will never be the same, but the hand is useable, I am able to write, drive, and most of the normal daily things you do with it. Just can't get back my change in that hand, no palm up. LOL

I look forward to seeing everyone at the Southern Nuclear outages this coming year. If you are rolling down I-75 south of Atlanta, give me a shout! I may be home....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!        Tom

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2008, 12:39 »
Prayers are answered every moment of every day - you are proof!  Bless you, Tom, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Heidi Wills

pappy

« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:25 »
I guess this will be my last post for this thread. I finally got the last Doctor release to return to work this week. I go back to work at Plant Hatch on monday. 1/26! It has been a long road to getting back and I will be a little slower, but back just the same. Thank you all for the support during this time. See you guys soon!
Start singing now..."On the road again....the life i love is picking dose up with my friends...."

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:29 »
I guess this will be my last post for this thread. I finally got the last Doctor release to return to work this week. I go back to work at Plant Hatch on monday. 1/26! It has been a long road to getting back and I will be a little slower, but back just the same. Thank you all for the support during this time. See you guys soon!
Start singing now..."On the road again....the life i love is picking dose up with my friends...."

Outstanding. I look forward to seeing you again.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline fritzon

• Very Lite User
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:09 »
OK Tommy,

I am north of the border once again, and am trying to catch up on news... Glad you are on the mend.  Sorry to hear about your accident, but you know that you are a survivor, so keep the rubber side down, and watch out way ahead for fools with wheels. 

I'm at Diablo for the SGR, and then, time permitting, perhaps a quick refueling..  Keep well my friend, and see ya on the road somewhere..

russ
Those who will not defend their freedom, have no right to live in a free society.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:25 »
Glad to know all is getting better Tom. Hope all is well with the rest of the family. I am at McGuire for the time being but if you get a chance come see us. We still live in Snelling. Take care Henry

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:31 »
Hey Pappy,
               Glad to hear you are recovering, won't be long before you can do some disco at Frankie & Johnny's. Hope all goes well down at the plantation and since I aint doing nukes anymore hope you can come through Hartsville and give me and Bud a holler. Take care!

blackballedsnake

« Reply #46 on: Sep 07, 2009, 12:16 »
Hey there Pappy, what's shakin'? ;) I just haven't heard from ya lately. I have been gettin' better with my injuries...itsa very slow process. Take care Tom!   - Mike "Snake" Shaffer. 8)

pappy

« Reply #47 on: Sep 08, 2009, 11:33 »
Getting by...doing a lot better than when I came back in Jan, but still get reminded by the metal and mended(?) bones that I don't heal as quick as I used to. I can tell u when rain is coming, though, LOL! Getting back more flex in my legs now that were slow to give in. Not as hard to get down on the floor for surveys and putting down boundry tape.....where r those Jr Techs when u need them!!!!! I have been blessed to do this well. I hope that you continue to improve & return to the ranks soon... :)

blackballedsnake

« Reply #48 on: Sep 08, 2009, 01:40 »
You ain't kidding about the weather affecting injury! >:( I was damn near immobilized when we had extreme humidity and rain for two weeks straight! :( No amount of Vicodin ES would help THAT agony. ::) I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory (Mobic) to help ease the weather-related "pain". WOW! ;D I guess I should think about livin' in the southwest...the DRY heat is good for you...so I'm told?! ;) It's good to hear that yer gettin' by!   - Snake.  8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?