Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Annoying contractors

Author Topic: Annoying contractors  (Read 39726 times)

kp88

Annoying contractors
« on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:15 »
Don't suck up it doesn't pay in the end.  Do your job, do whats asked for, ask questions, but don't become annoying, following instructions from your supervision.  ALWAYS be on time for work, stay until the end of the day and the end of the outage, stay away from the bar scene, and watch your tone with everybody.  Act like a professional and don't be stupid.  Don't be afraid of any job that you are asked to do, but use common sense.

Excellent advice.  Does anyone have any advice on how to tell supplemental/contractor personnel that they're becoming annoying?

vikingfan

Annoying contractors
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:26 »

Excellent advice.  Does anyone have any advice on how to tell supplemental/contractor personnel that they're becoming annoying?

and do you expect to complete your outage(s) in a timely manner without them ?

Motown homey

Annoying contractors
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:28 »
Based on my experience, tell them the same thing I was told when I became annoying - DFR!  Believe it or not, there were times that I was so over whelmed by house tech dumbs--t that I couldn't help but whine about it.  The worst part of that is that I hate whiners - so I took the first lay-off and got myself out of the situation - and it never kept me from being asked back.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Annoying contractors
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:40 »
Get used to it, Smart People.
When you are 4 cubicles away from me, I will rub off on you.
Either that or walk down there and beat your %^@#!$%!!!

Bring it on!!
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

RAD-GHOST

Annoying contractors
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:21 »

YEP,

Constantly remind them that your House and their not!

Inform them how smart you are because your a House Tech.

Ban them from area's of the plant because they're a Contractor.

Ask them to leave a meeting because they're a Contractor.

Ridicule them for their lack of Tribel Knowledge at your facility.
(Disk smears are taken with the right hand, LAS are with the left....Silly Contractor)

Inform them that there is only one way to complete a task, even though they've seen it successfully completed a dozen different ways!

Last, but not least, inform them that contractors cause all Industry Events, OE's!

Hope this helps....RG!    ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008, 05:25 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
Annoying contractors
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:37 »
Last, but not least, inform them that contractors cause all Industry Events, OE's!
Hope this helps....RG!    ;)

Don't you know that House Techs are groomed from the time they are born?
They don't go on the road and never go outside of a 100-mile radius of their home.
These people were meant to be in the position they are in.
The contractor hating techniques are etched in their brain, normally within 2-3 weeks upon getting hired.
The best way to get to them is to leave your pay stubs laying around and steal the snacks off their desk.....

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Annoying contractors
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:46 »
Certainly not.  I need these people.  I just want to know how to explain to them that I don't care how things worked at "their" plant.

Having been on both sides, I can tell you that it does get annoying when some techs simply argue all day long that you don't do things as well as they do at Catawba, or DC Cook, or wherever.

On the other hand, you might learn a few things from them.  It is probably written in the Bartlett and Atlantic handbooks somewhere that the techs are not allowed to share information that they learn while working for a customer with that customer's competitors.  But who cares?  You are getting some free industrial espionage.  Take the good ideas, and toss the rest.

On the third hand (?), contractors aren't the only ones who do this.  Shared resource techs who work for the same company will do it too.  The contractors love this, because you tell us to shut up about how they do things at the plant down the road.  Meanwhile we know damned well that your plant and that plant are at least claiming to be using the exact same procedure while one of you must be reading it upside-down.  After working at enough Entergy, Exelon, NMC, Duke, and FPL plants, we can tell you that you are all full of s#!t.  There are no two sites, identical procedures or not, that do things the same way.  You think you do, you say you do, but you don't.  And we get to hear from BOTH of you that the other guys are f*@ked up.

Annoying?  Try working at six different sites in one year and having to learn six different ways to do the exact same job with the exact same instruments.  That is annoying!
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
Re: Annoying contractors
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:14 »
you need advice on how to tell us that we are becoming annoying?  Just tell us what site your having trouble with and we won't go there and you can do the outage  6 hours in the drywell and 5 1/2 hours at the desk briefing workers...oops thats what we already do at Peach....

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008, 03:16 by nowhereman »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:25 »
I like reminding house techs who have problems with contractors "You're just upset that when the outage is over, WE get to leave!!"

I tell house techs who have problems with per diem "If it wasn't for per diem you would have never had the joy of meeting ME!!  8) 8) 8)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:37 »
I think I am offended. If you don't like the contractors, try completeing the outage without us. Of course you are going to have contractors that are annoying, and there are plenty of house people that are annoying...that's just life in any business. You should try to listen to how it is done in other plants, no matter how annoying it may be to YOU. Your missing the point that with contractors working your outages, you have a wealth of information available to you about how things are done at different facilities. If the advice doesn't fit your plant, forget it, big deal. Ever heard of "benchmarking"? It is very similar but you don't have to travel to another plant. Just climb down from your pedestal and listen a bit. Or...just believe that "annoying" contractors do not have any value added information for your facility, continue doing things the way that you always have, and never be able to keep up with the rest of the industry.

You might also want to mention what facility you represent so we can be informed in the future when deciding what outages we would like to take part in and which ones to avoid.

I can't believe that I took the time to read this post let alone respond. What an arrogant view.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Cathy

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:48 »
I saw the title and thought "someone finally started a thread about me!". Seriously, after several years in this industry I have started a rule for myself that I try to stick with (I am not always successful but I try). I tell a house person once, and only once my idea, experience etc.. If they don't listen, that is their loss or maybe their plant is different. I will stand my ground if it is illegal, against clear procedures (for that particular plant) or the issue would cause me to take a unplanned shower at work.  ::)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:51 »
yinz wanna tell a contractor that (s)he's annoying?  yews yer mouth, 'n fourm da werds...'yer annoying'... most contractors will shut uop 'n leaf ya alone.
'n when dey git two da next plant, there fav storys will be bout da igneramuses thay jist left.  butt datall bee oh kay, cause dey kant annoy yinz any moor.   ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:21 »
OK, I've been on both sides of the road. And I remember trying to tell house folks all my great ideas that I just saw at my last plant. And getting frustrated when they didn't care.
Now I'm the house guy....and I do care for the ideas.....but
our outage schedule started 16 months (or more) ago. Outage planning, getting materials, fitting in all the pieces so we can get back online in 20 days....many boring meetings, outage packages, walkdowns with safety, maintenance, etc have taken place. :-\
And you want me to change boats, in midstream, at the last minute, and the conversation started off with "how come you idiots don't do it the way that plant X does it?" :P

I can't incorporate major changes in outage / work methods at the last minute. Well, actually I can, but I'm saving that stress for the crap I'm gonna have to change quickly, because something screwed up....I wanna keep that which I can control, under control, for as long as I have control..... :D

Now, If I can sit down during a quiet period, after everything is going smooth, and listen to what you have to say, I try to put it in the lessons learned list for next outage. I really do...

And if I get the budget, and the support, and I can convince the 3 people above me that this is worth it....when (and if) you come back as a returnee, I can show you what I did, and thank you for your idea. I have been able to do this on occasion. It feels nice when I can. But I can't always put it together, and sometimes I forget, or lose the idea.

So, I really will try to listen. And if you come back, I will thank you for the improvement if I manage to make it work.

I know I can't do the outage without you....heck, some days I would rather just go on vacation for 3 weeks and turn it over to you....I really hate outages nowadays. They interrupt my kids life...and that isn't good.

So keep being annoying, and tell us the ideas. Sometimes we listen.

And I don't keep many snacks on my desk anymore....just cheap cigars. Figure if I'm only gonna get 1 smoke break a day, I might just as well enjoy it..... 8)

Peace
 :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:46 »

and do you expect to complete your outage(s) in a timely manner without them ?

I don't know many who are so fragile that they'd depart early or not show up in the future because their feelings were hurt.  ;)

Edited to clarify, "Not many, but at least a few.."  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008, 08:32 by Imaginos »
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2008, 09:17 »
Speaking of not taking suggestions from annoying contractors (I was one for 27 + years), who was there for the famous (name removed by Moderator) "We welcome your ideas but we aren't going to change a "gosh darn thing" (words changed a little) speech at the Latches Theater in Brattleboro?
LM
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008, 12:25 by Camella Black »

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2008, 02:11 »
As a HP contractor greater than 90 % of our work is picking up the pieces (work packages)that the house techs did not brief on/walkdown/ oops the operatoroids drained the system too fast and..........many times there are valve breach's with mrad smears and no way to drain the system...etc etc....  and we end up working with  maintenance guys that came over from the fossil side only because this is a low profile job

or,   I don't see many house techs  go up to help the turbine deck to frisk out gang boxes of tools after  spending 4 or 5 hours in the drywell..... I know two things, the first one  I know that's why we are getting paid...1. its our job 2. sometimes we get a little frustrated...............

BUT...more often than not its the house techs who bad mouth us in front of your maintenace workers after the outage,  which makes our job exponetionally harder.....just remember that fact
AND I just love to have the house techs in front of us sitting down and denigrating/putting down other contractors behind there backs,  all I get out of that is , what is going to said after I leave the room?
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008, 02:27 by nowhereman »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2008, 02:35 »

It seems that EVERYONE has missed the double meaning that I intended when I named this thread.

You juss too smaht fo ya own good Troy.... :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Cathy

« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2008, 03:34 »
Annoying Contractors --- annoying is a gerund (verb) in this sense.  "What do house HP's enjoy doing more than anything?"  "Annoying contractors."
Okay, I'll bite.
House techs annoying contractors:
My personal favorite is when I am waiting in a group to get OJT and watching the house tech train the male HPs. When my turn comes, I get the up and down once over and the house tech's language skills go down to the level of a three year old while he explains whatever he is training me on. Since I am a female, he needs to talk slower, use little words and explain in excruciating detail. I just roll my eyes, tolerate the ridiculous effort and go on about my business.
Another thing that annoys me is the ever changing schedule. You know the one, it changes every day for no apparent reason. One day you are first in and the next day you are second in and invariably you are second in on your Friday and your relief is late because he/she is getting a brief or long turnover from a house tech at the desk.
But my very favorite is regailing house people with my tales of three months off at a time, fishing in my own backyard, taking a week to get home from an outage because I am free to roam about the country and not understanding why they get annoyed with me  ;D ;D ;D

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2008, 06:10 »
I'll grant you that  the house side has at least its share of annoying people if we can all agree that a there are at least as few  annoying contract folks.  That doesn't mean that we aren't glad that you come in but for a very few people, it means we are glad when you leave too ;D
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

justatech

« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2008, 05:23 »
Doesn't matter who they are - I can annoy them both if I'm in the mood......................... :P  Everyone has their pet peeves...

Speaking of such.....I remember one JR house tech that had specific rules "you're not allowed to take a picture of tech (wicca something or other) could not set a techs desk - period - not even to eat your lunch, use techs chair etc.................everythin g was to be left alone on techs desk" - even the house people knew this........................n ight shift is a funny thing - you know..............someone really enjoyed moving the stapler, tape dispenser, papers around just enough.................and cookie crumbs  :o

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008, 05:29 by justatech »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2008, 06:04 »
There was this annoying supv at ANO that kept pet tarantulas at work. He came in one day to find his tarantulas impaled with pencils. This could have been an urban legend but it was a good story and he deserved it.

justatech

« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 2008, 06:55 »
Thanks for the laugh xobxdoc  :P  karma to you

Then there are the stories of the annoying coworkers who eat others lunches...............I can't say to much as we are on in the general area - suffice it to say - they either went home early or spit their stolen food out!
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008, 06:57 by justatech »

stownsend

« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2008, 09:04 »
There was this annoying supv at ANO that kept pet tarantulas at work. He came in one day to find his tarantulas impaled with pencils. This could have been an urban legend but it was a good story and he deserved it.
It was impaled with a pin through the eraser of the pencil.

beermug

« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2008, 09:32 »
   Oyster Creek has the most annoying House WHINNERS    Hope they shut it down and see what they will do!!!!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:12 »
Oyster Creek does have some of what you describe but they also have some best Techs that I have met in my 30+ years working in this field.  Oyster isn't an easy place to work even  on the best days, but I certainly could depend on those technicians when I required assistance or knowledge of a room or area where I needed to plan work.  Knowledge and experience abounds in the Oyster Tech ranks.  I only wish them the best and your remarks about closing the Station to teach the technicians a lesson, sounds a little short sighted to me.  The north east really doesn't need to lose another plant (4 so far), and while you may not like the site, it is a good paying source of employment for many and supports the community. 
Regards,
LM

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2008, 12:44 »
Let's see.  I've been a contractor that annoyed house folks and I've been (and am) a house person that annoys contractors.  I guess I'm an equal opportunity annoyance.
At least I'm consistent ;)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

oldodge52

« Reply #26 on: Aug 19, 2008, 05:06 »
I'll grant you that  the house side has at least its share of annoying people if we can all agree that a there are at least as few  annoying contract folks.  That doesn't mean that we aren't glad that you come in but for a very few people, it means we are glad when you leave too ;D

Ah, grantime... after being here with you all for so long.. I'm just hoping, hoping, that when I do leave that you reply in my wake, "It sure was annoying having all those contractors here, but, gosh, I sure do miss 'em!" Because, after all, I know deep down, you love us. Come on, now... just admit it! Besides, who else would so eagerly allow themselves to be so taken advantage of?? :) haha. (laughing at myself, not at you... naturally)

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #27 on: Aug 19, 2008, 11:32 »
Don't worry I've been laughed at before ;D

It does get quiet when everyone leaves.  But I don't think we will be without contractors for the foreseeable future. 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #28 on: Aug 19, 2008, 05:52 »
But, realistically, most of the time the "Annoying Contractor" tag is placed by the House Mice, casue they get so darn tired, of those hand full of Contractors that are always explaining their own House procedures to them.

Painful, but true. 8)
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2008, 07:40 »
I like it when the contractors show up. There is always entertainment. Especially when you get a couple badass crusty old HPs lock horns comparing resumes and lifetime dose.

allforthenukie

« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2008, 10:43 »
One of the first things I learned in this business is that if you let anybody know what bothers you, you will get it ten times worse. If someone at the plant is annoying me I will ignore them if I can, or discretely leave the area if I just can't stand it anymore. But I've learned to never say anything that might reveal to my coworkers the things that personally annoy me.

Khak-Hater

« Reply #31 on: Aug 20, 2008, 11:21 »
Contractors are mercenaries.  Professionals who serve not out of loyalty, but for money.  Since they really have no direct interest in the company's success or failure, then the best that you can hope for is their pride in workmanship or interest in being invited back.  I'm not saying that this is bad.  It's just the way that it is.

When serving as a manager, I'd generally rather gnaw my right arm off than to use contractor support.  I've  only used them to perform specialized external services (e.g., dosimetry, anti-Cs, HEPA leak checks, very specialized calculations).  This is just a personal choice.  I know plenty of successful managers who rely heavilly on contractor support.  In their organizations, I know several contractors who do better work and are more reliable than the house employees.  In those cases, my question is always "Why are they contractors? Hire them already."  Then again, I've never had to manage an outage.  

Companies, like nations, decide on the full-time staffing that they wish to maintain.  If you don't value your military enough to staff it well for times of trouble, then you hire mercenaries for those times.  Most historians agree, however, that over-reliance on this practice was a symptom, if not a direct cause of the fall of Rome.  That's what saddens me so much about all of this Blackwater stuff going on in Iraq these days.  If a bean counter runs the numbers, and decides that they only need a certain staffing level until an outage occours, then the company deserves what it gets.  

In answer to the original question, you shut up an annoying contractor the same way that you shut up anyone else.  Be direct.  Inform them that they are annoying you, and ask them to stop.  If that doesn't work, then let them go, so that they have the opportunity to share their expertise elsewhere.  If you can't let them go because they're invaluable, then shame on your organization for putting itself in a spot where its success relies on a single irreplacable individual's support.  Put up with it for the moment and fix it ASAP.  By the way, this advice applies evenly to in-house collegues as well as contractors.

Let the smiting begin,

MGM

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:03 »
Hiring that hot shot contractor is like getting married. At first they will do anthing to please you, then they start spending more than they make and sleep with your friends. Well you get my point, once hired they become whiny house techs.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:17 »
Contractors are mercenaries.  Professionals who serve not out of loyalty, but for money.  Since they really have no direct interest in the company's success or failure, then the best that you can hope for is their pride in workmanship or interest in being invited back.  I'm not saying that this is bad.  It's just the way that it is.

When serving as a manager, I'd generally rather gnaw my right arm off than to use contractor support.  I've  only used them to perform specialized external services (e.g., dosimetry, anti-Cs, HEPA leak checks, very specialized calculations).  This is just a personal choice.  I know plenty of successful managers who rely heavilly on contractor support.  In their organizations, I know several contractors who do better work and are more reliable than the house employees.  In those cases, my question is always "Why are they contractors? Hire them already."  Then again, I've never had to manage an outage.  

Companies, like nations, decide on the full-time staffing that they wish to maintain.  If you don't value your military enough to staff it well for times of trouble, then you hire mercenaries for those times.  Most historians agree, however, that over-reliance on this practice was a symptom, if not a direct cause of the fall of Rome.  That's what saddens me so much about all of this Blackwater stuff going on in Iraq these days.  If a bean counter runs the numbers, and decides that they only need a certain staffing level until an outage occours, then the company deserves what it gets.  

In answer to the original question, you shut up an annoying contractor the same way that you shut up anyone else.  Be direct.  Inform them that they are annoying you, and ask them to stop.  If that doesn't work, then let them go, so that they have the opportunity to share their expertise elsewhere.  If you can't let them go because they're invaluable, then shame on your organization for putting itself in a spot where its success relies on a single irreplacable individual's support.  Put up with it for the moment and fix it ASAP.  By the way, this advice applies evenly to in-house collegues as well as contractors.

Let the smiting begin,

MGM

You must have never met the quality of contractor that I know including my husband. He is by far one of the best mannered, hard working, easy going h.p. one could ever know or work with.

Don't take my word for it, ask around. He is not alone believe me, there are thousands upon thousands of good contractors out there, but you have to remember serveral things... you get what you pay for and it is not always the quality of the contractor that spoils the pot, it is the way the contractor is used, abused and mistreated.

Remember everyone can not be the Queen Bee or the big bad Drones, some are just lowly Worker Bees but without them the colony would not survive.

:)

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #34 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:31 »

Let the smiting begin,

MGM

Been both done both. In a Union plant, hell, any plant you have the same ratio of those caring about the plant's success, their success, or just getting the check except you can't just fire the house guy because of the investment or the Union rules. Contractors get the boot with ease. Yiu have to take them each as individuals and that is why so many places want returnees and some companies have their 'golden list' of guys they can send anywhere and not get complaints. With wages being what they are, you can't staff for anything but nomal running.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #35 on: Aug 20, 2008, 01:11 »
Khak-Hater,

When serving as a manager, I'd generally rather gnaw my right arm off than to use contractor support.

Have you considered seeking professional help for this Phobia? 

RG!

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #36 on: Aug 20, 2008, 01:44 »
From my experiences, I think it is all a matter of work ethic - if you have poor work habits, it really doesn't matter who you work for.  I do think it is easier to survive as a house tech with poor work habits, than as a contractor.  As a contractor. you have no job security, and each outage you have to be "rehired" to continue to work. As a house tech you get hired once, and as long as you don't make too many waves you can survive for years, doing very little to contribute to the company or your department as a whole.

In those cases, my question is always "Why are they contractors? Hire them already."  
With this statement you make a huge assumption that the contractor in question wants to be hired. Many contractors prefer working outages, going in and doing the professional job they are hired to do, and going on to the next one, without getting bogged down by the "house" politics.
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

stownsend

« Reply #37 on: Aug 20, 2008, 01:46 »
once hired they become whiny house techs.
Paul you are house now ,right?

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #38 on: Aug 20, 2008, 01:49 »

MGM
Spoken like a true Officer, I mean manager.  Only I think the annoying that contractors do is to the lower level supervisors and lead techs.  Most of it is showing them that things they do are either wrong according to their own procedures or common sense or could just be performed in a more efficient manner.  In either case, the ones being annoyed don't have the power to "let them go", nor would they, cause it would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.  Letting go of even one contractor these days in the tight budgets and low staffing levels places quite a bit of strain on the rest of the organization, and that one grain of sand could be what's keeping the entire outage from crumbling down around you.  Let one go, more may follow due to the increased work load that is already higher than at any time in past outages.  
Most of the places I go probably think I am an annoying contractor, and I am proud of it.  When I am annoying the most is when the house is doing something that could get someone hurt or killed, and if that is the case, I am going to be annoying as hell until they do something about it.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Aug 20, 2008, 02:07 »
 Realistically the only time  I  have seen "annoying contractors" is when you have a situation of doing the right thing procedurally correct vs  being briefed on how to approach  a job in a certain way because the maintenance guys are friends with  the house HP.......and then, at that point we become annoying....

SGT

« Reply #40 on: Aug 20, 2008, 02:25 »
Most of the places I go probably think I am an annoying contractor, and I am proud of it.  When I am annoying the most is when the house is doing something that could get someone hurt or killed, and if that is the case, I am going to be annoying as hell until they do something about it.

That wasn't the case at VC!

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #41 on: Aug 20, 2008, 02:37 »
No, at VC I was just annoyed!!!  That is why it is now at the bottom of my list.  But there were several things that they needed to be annoyed about, and I did my part.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2008, 02:39 by roadhp »
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #42 on: Aug 20, 2008, 03:23 »
Paul you are house now ,right?

You figured me out Steve, but I'm in ops

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #43 on: Aug 20, 2008, 05:10 »
Actually that's an NRC form 3 that he was talking about

rekrowekun

« Reply #44 on: Aug 20, 2008, 07:03 »
01- make um all (edited)
02- make um park (edited)
03- do all you can to assure (edited)
04- maintain high (edited)
05- (edited) when (edited)
06- act like '(edited)' all the time
07- rub in the fact contractors have no (edited)
08- Always change (edited) at very last minute
09- put everybody on (edited)
10- Let them see you getting (edited)
11- Tell them what to (edited) then (edited) early
12- YouTube (edited)
Tell them all you were just (edited) and then have group (edited) with see ya next (edited),, wink wink...
(edited)(edited)(edited)(edited)
But Thank (edited) it's still a (edited) country!
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2008, 02:08 by rekrowekun »

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #45 on: Aug 21, 2008, 05:01 »
Oh yeah, I was an annoying contractor.  Now I am an annoyed house tech that gets to travel to close places and play annoying house tech contractor and be annoying to the annoyed house techs at their "home plant".  But then, they get to return the favor and annoy us already annoyed house techs at our outage.  I have gotten to the point where all of the annoying people just blend into the cacophony that is an outage.  Whining, biatching, crying, cussing just all blends together anymore.  Maybe my filter needs cleaning.
Is it time for coffee yet?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #46 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:46 »
Maybe my filter needs cleaning.

You'd probably fair better, if you left well enough alone!

RG........... ;)

oldodge52

« Reply #47 on: Aug 28, 2008, 03:24 »
Don't worry I've been laughed at before ;D

It does get quiet when everyone leaves.  But I don't think we will be without contractors for the foreseeable future. 

Lucky me!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?