Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21 SWO-N forced subs, any recourse?

Author Topic: STA-21 SWO-N forced subs, any recourse?  (Read 8296 times)

Caz

STA-21 SWO-N forced subs, any recourse?
« on: Aug 14, 2008, 03:58 »
I'm a STA-21 nuke option guy picked up out of prototype and was slated for SWO-N, but they're realocating 90% of us to subs to fill shortages.  I've always dreaded this remote possibility because I really, really do not want to go subs, and I never sub vol'd as enlisted.  My NUPOC interview is coming up soon and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid subs as a STA-21?  From what I understood you had to volunteer for the sub community, and my guess is they're going to basically order me to volunteer at my interview.  Can they force me to go subs, and if you're familiar with the process, do you know how they would do so?  I have numerous family and other concerns that I won't get into here that have changed my priorities and ambitions to where I just want to get through my navy committments and get out into the civilian world.

I've seen some posts here from people familiar with the nuke officer accession process.  I was considering playing some sort of hardball, but I have the sneaky suspicion that if I draw a line in the sand there, they may just fail my interview.  On the other hand, is there any realistic chance for me to get switched into a SWO-N, NR, or DIO post as a STA-21 nuke prior?

Also, what happens if I do end up issuing ultimadums and I fail the interview because of it?  With 1 year left to go and a solid GPA, would I have the option of finishing school, maybe commissioning into a non nuke field, or would I be sent back to the fleet enlisted?  Just trying to get an idea of my options because my official inquiries have naturally been met with resistance.

Caz

Re: STA-21 SWO-N forced subs, any recourse?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2008, 05:02 »
Thanks GC for your PM, unfortunately though, the questions here still could use a more informed answer.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008, 06:10 »
Is this your nuke accession interview at headquarters?  Just be up front with them if they ask.  They cannot force you to go submarines and I highly doubt they would fail you on the nuke interview for not volunteering.  If for some reason you fail, you will still complete college and move to another community.  I'm a prior enlisted nuke officer; send me a PM if you have other specific questions.

Joe

Caz

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2008, 06:22 »
Yes, the NUPOC interview is in DC at what I believe is headquarters.  Thanks for the reassurance.  I just fear that they've changed the game somewhat with such a shortage of Sub officers.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008, 06:32 by Caz »

alphacookie

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2008, 12:05 »
.........Just be up front with them if they ask.  They cannot force you to go submarines and I highly doubt they would fail you on the nuke interview for not volunteering.  If for some reason you fail, you will still complete college and move to another community.  I'm a prior enlisted nuke officer; send me a PM if you have other specific questions.

Joe

I am, as well, a prior enlisted nuke officer that went the old NECP route before it became STA-21.  I also was the Nuclear Ascension Officer while I taught at an ROTC unit.  So, I am familiar with the process.  What Joe says is 100% correct.  They can, however, force you to go surface.  I have seen that many times during my career.  Especially when they are manning a new carrier.

Can they set a quota on submarine vs. surface and strictly adhere to it if they wanted to?  Yes.  Is it likely that you will be a casualty and be forced to a different community?  No, not if you are solid performer as you say you are.  If you are on the bubble, you may be kissing your nuke career bye-bye.

The key to your interview is to have a solid, positive answer as to why you want to go surface.  DO NOT, under any circumstance, have a negative answer on why you do not want to go subs.  Get the distinction?  The Admiral will accept you based on the process you used to formulate your answer not the answer itself.  He may not be happy, he may yell but he will respect you for it.  Then it is off to nuke school AGAIN!

The submarine force is strictly voluntary.  They may try used car salesman tactics to make you change your mind.  They may waive extra " magical green mega bucks" in front of you.

In the end, it is your decision!
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008, 12:07 by alphacookie »

Caz

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2008, 12:34 »
Thanks a lot folks for the advice.  Everyone's input, including via PMs has been quite helpful.  If anyone else has anything to chime in about on this, please do so!  Also, is there any chance in hell they'd let me go DIO or NR?

alphacookie

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2008, 09:37 »
Thanks a lot folks for the advice.  Everyone's input, including via PMs has been quite helpful.  If anyone else has anything to chime in about on this, please do so!  Also, is there any chance in hell they'd let me go DIO or NR?

Probably not.  STA-21 is an unrestricted line commissioning program.  You are expected to serve in the unrestricted line unless some medical issue prevents you from doing so.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2008, 10:46 »
Already said in PM, but publicly...DIO, no, but NR is absolutely possible.  Know of few junior NR engineers who were URL accessions to HQ that did their time in DC, decided they'd had enough and went to the fleet as LTs.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?