Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu hey, thanks and Karma to the deserved!

Author Topic: hey, thanks and Karma to the deserved!  (Read 14829 times)

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
hey, thanks and Karma to the deserved!
« on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:00 »
I became a Gold Member today to say thanks for the info I have gleaned from this forum while my son has been in the Nuke pipeline.  Power School comps (is/are??) tomorrow and I want to send Karma to him and all his classmates as they study today for the ''big one" taking place bright and early tomorrow morning.  With your added Karma (mental Karma is free...so award lots!) I am confident the deserved will all pass. :) :)    Kathy VPNM

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: hey, thanks and Karma to the deserved!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2008, 01:39 »
I wish your son good luck and positive Karma.  Just make sure to remind him that the Power School Comp isn't the end of the Nuclear Training Pipeline and to ensure that he doesn't fall into the ranks of the "stupid shall be punished".  I have known a number of good kids that passed comp and did something really really dumb that night only to be hammered for it later.  Further remind him that NPS and Prototype are two completely different atmospheres and there are always some that do well at NPS but struggle through Prototype and vice versa.  Once again good luck to him and tell him to make sure that he doesn't leave ANYTHING blank. 

A shotgun is 100% more likely to get points than a blank.  He will know what you mean.   
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2008, 08:02 »
Never was in the Navey, but my dad was a nuke man and told the stories.  So I wish your son and all his classmates the best of luck and hope they all pass with flying colors. 

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:10 »
Kathy,

Thanks for helping to support this site!  And I'll be throwing tons of mental karma to your son and his friends during their comps tomorrow.  Best of luck to all of them! ;D 8)

- Greg

(P.S.  Power School "Comp" is a muti-part final exam; since each part of the exam is graded separately and independently, you could consider the Comp to be multiple exams.  Either way - one exam or multiple exams - is perfectly accurate.)
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2008, 11:28 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:38 »
Your post got me reminiscing about the "old days", and I came across the realization that my own Power School Comp was back in August 1988 - twenty years ago, almost to the day!

And I still remember that freakin' test...  It was >:( :o :'( ;D all at the same time!

Your son will definitely be in my thoughts.
  -  Dennis Miller

LuckyKid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2008, 08:04 »
And, For the sake of adding, they don't even take off points for shotgun at prototype. They will dig through a page of random for the points, and not take off for the wrong stuff.

Crazy, but true.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2008, 07:14 »
And, For the sake of adding, they don't even take off points for shotgun at prototype. They will dig through a page of random for the points, and not take off for the wrong stuff.

Crazy, but true.

Well back in the yeaster-years they would take off for shotgunning.  Usually you would get a SG -1pt somewhere on your paper.  Of course that was better than NNMBM, N.O.P.E, or MITRN. 

LuckyKid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:07 »
Well back in the yeaster-years they would take off for shotgunning.  Usually you would get a SG -1pt somewhere on your paper.  Of course that was better than NNMBM, N.O.P.E, or MITRN. 

Whate are NNMBM, N.O.P.E., and MITRN?

One guy in my power school class got a IAYNPAMGHMOYS.

I Award You No Points, And May God Have Mercy On Your Soul.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2008, 07:46 »
May '82 grasshopper,...

Back when the large sacred wooden slide rule was at the front of the classroom!  ;D

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2008, 06:12 »
Whate are NNMBM, N.O.P.E., and MITRN?

Normally I would say that is your First Look Up but since I am going to the Bristol Race this weekend I will cut you some slack.

NNMBM- Navy Needs More Boatswain Mate's 
N.O.P.E.  Not On Planet Earth
MITRN- Maybe In The Russian Navy.

Consider yourself Uprgraded. ;)

Now try ECFFB

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2008, 08:49 »

I seriously considered getting a tape recorder and recording the entire judges response from the end of Billy Madison(Adam Sandler Movie).  The part where he basically says that at no point during that answer did you make a coherent thought, yadda yadda yadda, and I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.  I had plans to play that when I get reallly really dumb explanations from students about Nuclear power workings.  But alas I refrained.

bheinz

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2008, 02:56 »

NNMBM- Navy Needs More Boatswain Mate's 
N.O.P.E.  Not On Planet Earth
MITRN- Maybe In The Russian Navy......

LOL!!! Now those were the days  ;D

bheinz

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2008, 02:57 »
Kathy, quick side note. What did you decide on for a gift?

LuckyKid

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2008, 09:26 »
We had one similar to NNMBM, we had FNCT (Fleet needs conventionals, too.)

ECFFB: Error Carried Forward (Fat Boy?)

LuckyKid

« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:27 »
What's it going to take for a girl to get a hint?

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2008, 10:25 »
Frau, just got back from our trip to Charleston....so late response to your question.  I decided on something nontraditional. An engraved watch was just too serious.  My son has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh so I filled a 12"X9"X6" cardboard box with Nuclear Navy Pipeline  gag items. Each item had a shipping tag attached with a comment. One was a glass candy thermometer. The tag said "official  radiation measuring device....complete with belt clip...conversion scale from degrees F to mR available upon request".  Another was a small round, wide angle mirror. The tag said "official SCPO detection device....secure to reactor control panel....caution, items in mirror may be closer than they appear to be."  About 10 gag gifts in all, each crudely wrapped in butcher paper and secured with some  yellow radioactive warning tape.  I also included some bright orange rubber gloves with a strip of radioactive tape around the cuff to clean his bathroom with.  That one was funnier than I expected as the pair  was inadvertently for two left hands.  He laughed and said that they were for a radioactive mutant. The only serious item was a small cannister with flip top lid (wrapped in radioactive tape), just the right size to hold some rolled up 20 dollar bills. The tag said "Open in case of  Extreme Nonnuclear Emergency" 

After graduation I purchased a nice black ink pen made of hardwood from the souvenir table.  It was engraved with "Naval Nuclear Power Training Command, Goose Creek,SC."  I'm thinking of having it engraved with his initials, class number, pipeline grad date and give it to him at the end of prototype.  It comes with an engraved hardwood case.  Should have bought two.  I'd like to keep one for myself!

Kathy, VPNM
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2008, 10:31 by Wanna Know Mom »

mlslstephens

« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2008, 10:57 »
After graduation I purchased a nice black ink pen made of hardwood from the souvenir table.  It was engraved with "Naval Nuclear Power Training Command, Goose Creek,SC."  I'm thinking of having it engraved with his initials, class number, pipeline grad date and give it to him at the end of prototype.  It comes with an engraved hardwood case.  Should have bought two.  I'd like to keep one for myself!

Kathy, VPNM

Kathy,
I'm sure there are some good nukes still in GC that can help you out with your request if you're really serious.  I'm not there anymore, but I've got some good connections that still are and I'm quite sure they can get me a pen to send to you.  Just let me know and we'll take good care of you.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2008, 10:58 by NaVLI4 »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2008, 08:58 »
Frau, just got back from our trip to Charleston....so late response to your question.  I decided on something nontraditional. An engraved watch was just too serious.  My son has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh so I filled a 12"X9"X6" cardboard box with Nuclear Navy Pipeline  gag items. Each item had a shipping tag attached with a comment. One was a glass candy thermometer. The tag said "official  radiation measuring device....complete with belt clip...conversion scale from degrees F to mR available upon request".  Another was a small round, wide angle mirror. The tag said "official SCPO detection device....secure to reactor control panel....caution, items in mirror may be closer than they appear to be."  About 10 gag gifts in all, each crudely wrapped in butcher paper and secured with some  yellow radioactive warning tape.  I also included some bright orange rubber gloves with a strip of radioactive tape around the cuff to clean his bathroom with.  That one was funnier than I expected as the pair  was inadvertently for two left hands.  He laughed and said that they were for a radioactive mutant. The only serious item was a small cannister with flip top lid (wrapped in radioactive tape), just the right size to hold some rolled up 20 dollar bills. The tag said "Open in case of  Extreme Nonnuclear Emergency" 

Kathy, VPNM

Umm you may want to inform him that anything with yellow and magenta tape or radiation area symbols are probably not going to be good ideas at Prototype.  Case in point, the Plant Lead ELT(and good friend of mine) was "politely" asked to remove his yellow, magenta and trifoil seat covers from his pickup.  It was the site's "policy" to control yellow and magenta with trifoils to be used only for "contaminated waste"  Darndest thing I ever heard of.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2008, 05:13 »
Umm you may want to inform him that anything with yellow and magenta tape or radiation area symbols are probably not going to be good ideas at Prototype.  Case in point, the Plant Lead ELT(and good friend of mine) was "politely" asked to remove his yellow, magenta and trifoil seat covers from his pickup.  It was the site's "policy" to control yellow and magenta with trifoils to be used only for "contaminated waste"  Darndest thing I ever heard of.

haha exactly. The navy is really... I really want to say gay... but the navy is really stuck up about that stuff. My EDMC didn't find it too funny that I used some radcon rope as a clothesline in my rack on deployment. When he found out, he made me bag and tag everything and then release it all.  ::) ;D

Anyway, Kathy that sounds like a wonderful and thoughtful gift! Nicely done! Congratulations to you and the budding nukes.

Justin

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2008, 12:26 »
Indeed.  One sailor I knew had his boogie-board all tricked up with RadCon, HazMat, and SECRET stickers on it.  He left it in the back of his vehicle one day, and Security noticed it through the windows of his vehicle during a routine patrol through the parking lot.  Phone calls were made - LOTS of phone calls.  Naval Reactors got wind of it, and it just snowballed from there...

Your gift ideas were clever and thoughtful - kudos to you!  Your son is truly blessed to have a Mother like you.  And your son should have the good sense to draw a line between work & gift wrapping, so that never the two should meet...

- Greg
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2008, 12:27 by G-reg »
  -  Dennis Miller

bheinz

« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2008, 09:21 »
...Your gift ideas were clever and thoughtful - kudos to you!  Your son is truly blessed to have a Mother like you.  And your son should have the good sense to draw a line between work & gift wrapping, so that never the two should meet...
I agree Kathy, great gifts, and you really are a great mom. You are actively trying to be a part of your son's career, and not just sitting in the back seat, that's great to know. And about all the tape and what not. I wouldn't worry about it. It was cute touch.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?