Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fair compensation? honeypot

Author Topic: Fair compensation?  (Read 17510 times)

radpro_2004

Fair compensation?
« on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:10 »
I am returning to work as a Bartlett tech for a few months at a local utility.  Because it's local, I don't get per diem.  I only have 3 years experience and have been out of the industry for 4 years.  I never qualified as a JR or SR RP tech, so I'm going back to help the utility as a JR helping the shift techs.  I am being paid $20/hr.  Is that a fair compensation considering no per diem?   I ask because I've been getting the run around from the Bartless contact and the utility contact about pay.  Thanks. Gary.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008, 11:14 by radpro_2004 »

ramdog_1

Re: Fair compensation?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:32 »
I recall my ex working as a JR hp ponly making 6 beans an hour. years ago and less diem.

stownsend

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:42 »
I am returning to work as a Bartlett tech for a few months at a local utility.  Because it's local, I don't get per diem.  I only have 3 years experience and have been out of the industry for 4 years.  I never qualified as a JR or SR RP tech, so I'm going back to help the utility as a JR helping the shift techs.  I am being paid $20/hr.  Is that a fair compensation considering no per diem?   I ask because I've been getting the run around from the Bartless contact and the utility contact about pay.  Thanks. Gary.
It's not my place but since you asked why not point out a few things.( Since I had lunch I decided to modify my response)
1. Three years of experience and never qualified.
2.Four years ago you were qualified to do What?
3. Since you know Bartletts name and could spell it correctly in the first sentence,why did you misspell it in the last.
4.$20/hour for an unqualified local who is calling all over the plant questioning the more than generous job offer.  Compare how much you made at the last job and say  "what can I do next to help out" .Thanks Bartlett for the job.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008, 01:21 by stownsend »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:54 »
To take a little of the edge off that last post...

Fair, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Are you satisfied with $20/hr? Could you make that for the same amount of effort/inconvenience/stress/whatevermeasureyouconsiderimportant in another job?

Or maybe the question you are asking is 'Am I getting the same pay as someone else doing equivalent work?' which is a different question. Only you can answer the first question. And no one can answer the second question for you given the information you have provided... there are too many variables. How much are the other people making (pay + pd) and how much pd do they have to spend to live in that particular area? It is a common practice to pay locals more $/hr to 'make up for' the lack of pd... a questionable practice, but sometimes the only way to get locals to work at their home plant. At some plants you spend virtually all of your perdiem to live, in others you can pocket over half. How much overtime is there? If you are making more $/hr, then overtime amplifies that bonus. Perdiem does not recognize what overtime is.

My gut feeling is that $20/hr for a junior with no credentials sounds pretty good. Sadly, there are still some places that don't pay that for seniors. On the other hand, if you are in California, it may not pay the bills.

The bottom line is 'Are you happy with it?' Nothing else should matter.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008, 11:56 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:26 »
The average pay for a contract Senior is between 20.00 and 25.00 at most commercial plants. I'd take my 20.00, keep my mouth shut, change my attitude and put in a full days work; then I'd go home and count my blessings that I had a good paying job especially with the economy we have today.  :)

rlbinc

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:31 »
Attitude of Gratitude never fails...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:37 »
As much as I would like to put the edge back on, I'm going to restrain myself.

Are you willing to do the job for $20/hr?  Forget about what everyone else is getting.  They are not you.  You are not them.

What do you mean "the utility contact"?  You ae not being hired by the utility.  You are being hired by Bartlett.  You have no business whatsoever talking to the utility about your pay - or anything else for that matter.  Your only dialogue should be with the Bartlett recruiter - PERIOD!!!!!

It does not matter what you are qualified to do, or what others are making, or what you could make at another job, or what time it is in Dusseldorf.  ALL that matters is that $20 is offered for this job.  Do you want to take it or not?  If you accept the offer, it becomes "fair" by definition.  If you reject it, what does it matter if it was fair or not?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

radpro_2004

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2008, 01:41 »
Okay, wow.  I wanted to know if this was a fair wage.  I honestly don't know what the going rate is.  No need for some of the nasty comments.

I'm happy with $20 but I would be upset to learn that others--with similar quals or lack there of-- are getting $35.  That was my intent and I hope you can understand that.  I realize my quals are lacking and rather out of date..and I am VERY GRATEFUL for the opportunity to make a little spending money.

Please accept my apology if I came of ungrateful, arrogant, or.. whatever.  Certainly not my intent.

Additionally, what time IS it in Dusseldorf? :)

stownsend

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2008, 02:08 »

Please accept my apology if I came of ungrateful, arrogant, or.. whatever.  Certainly not my intent.

Thanks for understanding. Many junior and senior RP's fought tooth and nail to get qualified with some taking several years to get to $20/hr.Count your blessings.By the way I made $459/month to become qualified and it took from 1976 to 1997 before I broke the $20 mark.Good luck.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2008, 03:10 »
Some people seem to have way to much time to be negative.
Troy is still trying to find the clock in Dusseldorf.
Steve you deserve a raise.
In regard to the original question it only matters when you are a company VP and find out that an entry level person is making more than you and the nameplate on your office door is in erasable ink.

Have fun at your new job and enjoy the FAIR payrate.

Content1

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:58 »
Okay, wow.  I wanted to know if this was a fair wage.  I honestly don't know what the going rate is.  No need for some of the nasty comments.

I'm happy with $20 but I would be upset to learn that others--with similar quals or lack there of-- are getting $35.  That was my intent and I hope you can understand that.  I realize my quals are lacking and rather out of date..and I am VERY GRATEFUL for the opportunity to make a little spending money.

Additionally, what time IS it in Dusseldorf? :)

A junior getting $35?  ROFL  I am a senor with 20 years in the field and can't get that!

HeatherB.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:25 »
If you feel like Bartlett is giving you the run-around, then they probably are. Our instincts tend to be right most of the time. But sadly, the utilities hire Bartlett to negotiate your compensation so they don't have to deal with phone calls & inquiries from the workers themselves. I suggest you stop pestering the utility, and start negotiating with Bartlett. Are there bonuses or incentives?

Bartlett offered me a Jr. job for $13 an hour (THIRTEEN DOLLARS? And a lower per diem rate too, I might add). But it was a low-ball attempt since I have friends working there who are getting more... Several dollars more an hour from Bartlett, and we all have the same Jr. time worked & same job categorization. I'm pretty sure the game is played by offering the lowest they think you'll take, and seeing if you're desperate enough to bite. If they can only pay you $13 an hour then its more profit skimmed off the top of the billable rate for them. See how that works?  :'(

Needless to say, I took a DZ Atlantic job for $20 an hour (and better per diem, and better travel pay, and better bonuses). I'll work for whichever company is going to compensate me better, and right now DZ takes much better care of their Juniors than any other company. Not sure how these other guys are going to survive if they don't start cultivating, training & building some "brand loyalty" amongst the Jr. HP's... all I keep reading on these boards is how fast the Sr. Techs are retiring out of the industry. We got a lot to learn from them before they do!
 [salute]

I'd take the $20 an hour & work hard to impress the right people... but keep your eyes and ears open for better job openings. Consider this a paying way to get your foot in the door. And for God's sake, please get qualified QUICK!

Sun Dog

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:11 »

I'd take the $20 an hour & work hard to impress the right people... but keep your eyes and ears open for better job openings. Consider this a paying way to get your foot in the door. And for God's sake, please get qualified QUICK!

I suggest that you work hard because it is what you are paid to do, not to impress somebody that you think could help you down the line.  Getting qualified quickly is sound advice.  The sooner you are an ANSI qualified technician the sooner you will get a raise.  But, do it for your own sake, not God's.  It is doubtful that God really cares how long it takes you to get qualified.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:31 »
If you feel like Bartlett is giving you the run-around, then they probably are. Our instincts tend to be right most of the time. But sadly, the utilities hire Bartlett to negotiate your compensation so they don't have to deal with phone calls & inquiries from the workers themselves. I suggest you stop pestering the utility, and start negotiating with Bartlett. Are there bonuses or incentives?

I've seen a whole lot of techs over the years whose 'instincts' told them they where being unfairly treated. Funny but I always thought it was because they showed up late, never carried their weight, couldn't calculate air concentrations, and were always the first ones in the parking lot at the end of the day. Most people who show up on time, do thier job, and get along with everyone rarely have to worry about instincts and how they're being treated.

Content1

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2010, 03:53 »

Here is one place I got off the internet.

Nelson Nuclear Corporation
2550 Duportail Street, M175
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 539-4902     (509) 392-8674 fax   

Pay Rates and Policy:

SITE MANAGER   $55/hour

Senior HP Technicians   
*Professional ≥10 years experience   $50/hour
≥10 years experience   $45/hour
≥5 years exerience   $38/hour
≥3 years experience   $31/hour
≥18 months experience   $28/hour

Junior HP Technicians   
≥1 year experience   $24/hour
≥6 months experience   $20/hour
<6 months experience   $18/hour

Senior Decon Technicians   
≥3 years experience   $28/hour
≥1 year experience   $25/hour
≥6 month experience   $20/hour
<6 months experience   $17/hour
* "Professional" indicates technicians that commit to assisting the customer with experienced input that could save the utility time, reduce personnel contaminations, reduce loss of contamination events, and performs his/her duties in a professional manner that requires little to no supervision.

PAY POLICY       

1.  All technicians are paid overtime at the rate of time and one half their hourly pay rate.  If the individual plant being worked pays permanent employees double time for working on a Sunday (or 7th day), the same double time pay rates will apply to Nelson Nuclear employees.
2.  Over time pay rates are paid after 8 hours for any day worked.       
3.  Travel pay will apply to all technicians at the listed Continental United States (CONUS) Per Diem rate with no cap or ceiling.  Travel pay will be determined by mileage based on Expedia.com fastest route from place of origin to the closest facility town or city.
4.  Per Nelson Nuclear - end of outage lay offs will be comperative percentage to primary and other contract companies. 
5.  Nelson Nuclear will contribute to and offer a medical and benefits program that exceeds any contractor benefits program currently in place.   

Note:  Nelson Nuclear has developed and will continue to provide a fair and efficient staffing and compensation program that will benefit our customers and our employees.Maintaining quality of staffing and customer satisfaction will make Nelson Nuclear a leader in the Nuclear contractor staff augmentation world.
Back to Home Page

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:38 »
Promises are just promises.

Big talk is just big talk.

Rock isn't actually paying those prices anywhere.  He doesn't have any contracts for those positions.  Sure would be nice to see it happen.

Maybe someday.

Hell!  I'll go to work for him when he can get me $55/hr, OT after 8, DT on Sunday, benefits that are better than any that are being offered to any other contractor, and can continue to pay it beyond three weeks maybe every third year.

Look here.  What Bartlett and DZ Atlantic are paying is the going rate.  Period.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2010, 10:48 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2010, 11:07 »
Get Qualified, then ask for a raise, I think 20 is more than fair if not qualified. I think 12 for a not qualified is right. If you whine too much for nothing I think you will regret it. Right now you are just a warm body one step above McDonald's Work hard, get qualified and ask in about 90 days when you prove yourself.

Just my thought and I bet most would agree!!!

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2010, 03:26 »
Being a Jr. HP since 2008 I have worked all over. 20/hr. is more than fair for being local. Don't push it cause there is alot of guys out there right now that would go there for less just to get their time in. Jrs. will do whatever it takes to get their time in to move up to a more desirable ANSI 3.1. That is where the money is and what all the utilities are looking for.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:58 »
Hey Scone,
You are doing the right thing in your career. Listen to your dad and uncles, take their advice rather than the people here. Not only are they good techs, but good people. I have known all of them for 20 years. (of course I can tell you many stories..hehe)
I think you are doing the right thing getting your experience in nuke plants rather than the DOE sites. After you know the business, then you can put your brain on auto-pilot and work DOE.
Merry Christmas

illegalsmile

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:51 »
Hey Scone,
You are doing the right thing in your career. Listen to your dad and uncles, take their advice rather than the people here. Not only are they good techs, but good people. I have known all of them for 20 years. (of course I can tell you many stories..hehe)
I think you are doing the right thing getting your experience in nuke plants rather than the DOE sites. After you know the business, then you can put your brain on auto-pilot and work DOE.
Merry Christmas

Yeah....what he said.....seven times over....'specially about your dad and uncles....plus, they have your interest at heart.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:48 »
Let-it-ride and illegalsmile you guys are right. I listen to those guys more than almost anyone in the industry I have met. They are my life blood. Thanks guys for the advice. I can only hope to be half the tech they are. Merry Christmas.

Chimera

« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2010, 01:11 »
I would also add that whatever compensation for your time, efforts and training that you are willing to accept is, by definition, "fair".  It may not be what others may consider to be "fair", but, at least for me, I am the sole arbitor of what I consider to be fair.  In the case of my current job, they forced me to accept more than I thought was "fair" (more than I was willing to accept) for the work expected of me.  However, I kept a straight face and thanked them.  I just smile at my bank balance every payday.  Sometimes you may decide to trade off the "big bucks" for the opportunity to gain experience.  That would also make that pay rate "fair".

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:13 »
Hey Scone,
I think you are doing the right thing getting your experience in nuke plants rather than the DOE sites.

+K

After you know the business, then you can put your brain on auto-pilot and work DOE.

;)

Merry Christmas

:)

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?