Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Books

Author Topic: Books  (Read 31949 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

Books
« on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:04 »

...Best Nuclear Books, in order of merit...

1) The Making of the Atomic Bomb, 1986, Richard Rhodes

2) Nuclear Inc., 1983, Mark Hertsgaard

3) The Nuclear Barons, 1981, Peter Pringle

4) Building the Bombs, 2002, Charles Loeber

5) Obsessive Genius, 2005, Barbara Goldsmith

6) The Curve of the Binding Energy, 1973, John McPhee

7) Making a Real Killing, 1999, Len Ackland

8) Three Mile Island, 2004, Samuel Walker

9) Edward Teller, Doctor Strangelove, 2004, Peter Goodchild

10) Enrico Fermi, Physicist, 1970, Emilio Segre'

11) J. Robert Oppenheimer, 2005, David Cassidy

12) Dark Sun, 1995, Richard Rhodes

13) The Angry Genie, 1999, Karl Morgan

14) The Uranium People, 1979, Leona Marshall Libby

15) Arsenals of Folly, 2007, Richard Rhodes

16) A Case for Nuclear Generated Electricity, 2004, Heaberlin

17) The Radioactive Boy Scout, 2004, Ken Silverstein

18) Conservation Fallout, 2006, John Wills

19) Rickover, 2007, Thomas Allen

20) Permissible Dose, 2000,  Samuel Walker

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2008, 12:30 by wlrun3 »

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:26 »
    21.  The Rickover Effect - Theodore Rockwell
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:47 »

...God and Gold, 2007, Russel Walter Mead...

..."a world in which the Anglo-Saxons raced ahead, defeated all challengers, and established a maritime hegemony based on globlal capitalism."

Mead explains how the Anglo-American ascendency, based on the Dutch economic model and idealism, both secular and religious and tempered by compromise, provides the framework for a surprisingly optimistic future.

"There is no resting place, no final destination for this process, and the real goal of Anglo-American civilization is to get the permanent revolution well and truly under way. We are launching a space ship, not building a rest home.
   We do not yet know what humanity is capable of, what intellectual, spiritual, technological, and cultural limits-if any-there are on humanity's abilities and societies."

...many that frequent this forum probably would have felt, as I did in reading this book, a curious sense of pride...

..."The nations, not so blest as thee,
        Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall:
        While thou shalt flourish great and free,
        The dread and envy of them all."
                                         James Thomson

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2008, 12:24 »
    21.  The Rickover Effect - Theodore Rockwell

This book is mere Cheerleading.

wlrun3 what about The Making Of The Sun by Richard Rhodes which describes the US efforts to make the Hydrogen Bomb? It's a great read.

Mike

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2008, 02:12 »
This book is mere Cheerleading.

wlrun3 what about The Making Of The Sun by Richard Rhodes which describes the US efforts to make the Hydrogen Bomb? It's a great read.

Mike

Mike,

I'm really enjoying this discussion. Thankyou.

...Dark Sun, 1995, Richard Rhodes...

...along with his recent book...Arsenals of Folly, 2007...and his Pulitzer Prize winning The Making of the Atomic Bomb, 1986...he has molded a trilogy beginning with;

..."Tuesday, September 12, 1933...The stoplight changed to green. Leo Szilard stepped off the curb and as he crossed the street time cracked open before him and he saw a way to the future, death into the world and all our woe, the shape of things to come."

...to;

..."Igor Khurchatov walked in to ground zero after the test and was horrified to see the earth cratered even though the bomb had detonated above ten thousand feet. "That was a monstrous sight...that weapon must not be allowed ever to be used.""

...to;

..."Far from victory in the Cold War, the superpower nuclear-arms race and the corresponding militarization of the American economy gave us ramshackle cities, broken bridges, failing schools, entrenched poverty, impeded life expectancy, and a menacing and secretive national-security state that held the entire human world hostage."

...this is the definitive story of how humans created a device unique to their history...one capable of easily destroying them all...

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008, 02:14 by wlrun3 »

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2008, 02:23 »
I liked in the second Rhodes book how he described when they were testing an H Bomb and it had something like 8 times the expected yield so it wiped out an entire island and they had to estimate the yield by how much of the island was missing.

Also the US and British Bomber overflights of Soviet territory where they dropped the pamphlets that more or less said if this were a nuclear weapon you'd be dead.

Mike

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2008, 02:49 »

...the book that really cleared up all the questions I had left after bldg 771 at Rocky Flats and a month in the desert next to the 1962 110 kiloton 600 foot deep Sedan crater at Nevada Test Site was...

... Building the Bombs, 2002, Charles Loeber...

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2008, 04:30 by wlrun3 »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2008, 03:57 »

...To Rule the Waves, How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World, 2004, Arthur Herman...

..."The job of the historian is not just to recount or explain the past but to show how things have come to be what they are."

...Hawkins and Drake thru Nelson to the Falklands...

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2008, 06:11 »
To Rule The Waves was a great book, but inaccurate in a few spots.

If you want a couple books that are far better researched then get Dreadnought and Castles Of Steel by Richard K Massie. In the same light get The Rules Of The Game by Andrew Gordon which dissects British Performance at the Battle Of Jutland. In fact it's my belief that all managers should read this book. It's fascinating.

Mike

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2008, 06:55 »
To Rule The Waves was a great book, but inaccurate in a few spots.

If you want a couple books that are far better researched then get Dreadnought and Castles Of Steel by Richard K Massie. In the same light get The Rules Of The Game by Andrew Gordon which dissects British Performance at the Battle Of Jutland. In fact it's my belief that all managers should read this book. It's fascinating.

Mike

...thankyou...where were the inaccuracies...

...have read and was very impressed with Dreadnought, one of the best books i've ever read...

...Massie's Peter the Great, is also high on my list...

...i decided immediately on reading your post to read the Gordon book...your having mentioned him in the company of Herman and Massie, i am surprised that i missed it...

...can you offer others of the same type...

shovelheadred

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2008, 07:57 »
..."The Plutonium Files; America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War"...Eileen  Welsome.

..This book tells about the tests the US Gov't did on civilians with plutonium. Injecting pregnant women with plutonium, during exam visits in Oak Ridge,Tenn,,,Giving Plutonium to children in there cereal at an orphanage in Rochester,NY..and paying convicted criminals in a Washington State penitentiary to eat plutonium.....this was when plutonium was first discovered and the effects on humans was not known...

,,,Savannah River Site was used as an environmental research site to test effects of plutonium on the environment.....

...The Energy Secretary in the 70's..found these files and paid the family's of the affected individual .....not all tested personell got sick, it had no affect on some, some died, some unborn infants had defects....some had health problems that were reversed..

This book also has information about the bomb test in the Atoll's, on the pilots and crews...and ground tests in Nevada..

..very good reading....Red

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2008, 09:57 »
..."The Plutonium Files; America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War"...Eileen  Welsome.

..This book tells about the tests the US Gov't did on civilians with plutonium. Injecting pregnant women with plutonium, during exam visits in Oak Ridge,Tenn,,,Giving Plutonium to children in there cereal at an orphanage in Rochester,NY..and paying convicted criminals in a Washington State penitentiary to eat plutonium.....this was when plutonium was first discovered and the effects on humans was not known...

,,,Savannah River Site was used as an environmental research site to test effects of plutonium on the environment.....

...The Energy Secretary in the 70's..found these files and paid the family's of the affected individual .....not all tested personell got sick, it had no affect on some, some died, some unborn infants had defects....some had health problems that were reversed..

This book also has information about the bomb test in the Atoll's, on the pilots and crews...and ground tests in Nevada..

..very good reading....Red

...i think you and i read this about the same time and at the same place...1999, bldg 779, rocky flats...

...i went on to bldg 771 where i read "Making a Real Killing, Rocky Flats and the Nuclear West", 1999, Len Ackland...

...congratulations on your current job, you did great...

...all the best, see you down the road...

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2008, 01:42 »
Sure,

If you want a truly excellent history get The History Of United States Naval Operations in World War 2 by Samuel Eliot Morison. It's a 15 Volume Set and covers everything the USN did in WW2. The key here is Morison was a Harvard Professor who convinced FDR the best history would be written by someone who had actually been there. FDR had Morison commissioned and the result might be the best history of WW2 US Naval Operations ever written. Keep in mind Morison did not have data later made available but he was given the resources of the entire USN to write an accurate real time history. He's a bit jingoistic but he wrote a very good series of books. Each book describes a campaign or series of related campaigns. If you can't get the entire series or don't want to pay for 15 volumes then get The Two Ocean War which is the condensed version, it's about 800 pages and is very good. My wife got me the entire 15 volume set on Amazon for 149 dollars, no shipping. If you liked Massie you'll like Morison as he's very readable. By the way since you read Dreadnought you should read Castles Of Steel.

Next try The Price Of Disobedience and Vanguard To Trident by Eric Grove. The former is about the chase of the Admiral Graf Spee a German cruiser which the Brits cornered in WW2. Best history about this event that I've ever read. The later is about the state of the Brit Navy post WW2 and the decisions that economics forced on the British Defense Ministry. Grove by the way might be one of the best historians of modern times.

Mike

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2008, 02:54 »

...mike, thankyou for eric grove...

...read morison's two volume...

...finishing "how the scots invented the modern world" by arthur herman since i was so impressed with his "to rule the waves", even with the inaccuracies...   

...niall ferguson...harvard/oxford history professor...

..."colossus: the price of america's empire"...

..."empire: rise and demise of the british world order"...

...started his "war of the world" but was overwhelmed...

...highly recommend his recent "the ascent of money"...

...book tv interview four times this weekend for the release of this extraordinary book...

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 02:57 by wlrun3 »

RADBASTARD

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2008, 12:43 »
The Day of Infamy by newt gingrage its,s a what if book about if the japs launched a 3rd wave and if out carriers were out looking for their task force.

Just about any ww2 book is cool

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2008, 12:49 »

...Sunday...Nov 23...6 pm...Book TV (c-span)..."The Ascent of Money", Oct 2008, Niall Ferguson...

...my intention in posting this is too initiate a forum discussion on the current global economic crisis...

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2008, 05:03 »

...i have noticed...

...if questions of merit are asked on the forum, sometimes, from within the cloud of clutter, emerges answers of extreme value...

...this suggests that, watching, are some of the most brilliant and insightful minds of our industry...

...for me, a humbling realization...

...nukeworker is indeed a powerful tool...

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 05:04 by wlrun3 »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:33 »

...sunday, december 14...c-span 2...book tv...

...6:00 PM 59 min After Words: Brian Michael Jenkins, author of "Will Terrorists Go Nuclear?" interviewed by P.J. Crowley...

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2008, 12:42 by wlrun3 »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:40 »

...final paragraph of "The Ascent of Money", Niall Ferguson, 2008...

..."financial markets are like the mirror of mankind, revealing every hour of every working day the way we value ourselves and the resources of the world around us."

vikingfan

« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:50 »
you might also try " NASA's nuclear frontier"  the plum brook reactor facility in Sandusky, Ohio written by Mark D. Bowles and Robert S. Arrighi and there is also a video called " of ashes of atoms" which details the experimental research reactor in sandusky, ohio.

alphadude

« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2008, 04:59 »
I want to clean out my nuclear library. If someone will pay postage I will send it to them. There are several rad health hand books, pink and the older book, MOE, Knoll Detection, Nuke Eng. and lots more. Postage would be about $25.00. Most of these books are out of print and considered hard to get.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:09 »
I want to clean out my nuclear library. If someone will pay postage I will send it to them. There are several rad health hand books, pink and the older book, MOE, Knoll Detection, Nuke Eng. and lots more. Postage would be about $25.00. Most of these books are out of print and considered hard to get.

...yes, please...will pay you fair price plus postage ...i am emailing you now...

alphadude

« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:26 »
thanks for all the replies. I will get them all together and see what I have in total. Maybe I can divide them so everybody gets happy. I did have some older Nuke eng. books too. So give me a day or so to pile them up and I will post what I have and we will go from there. Also, I have some safety books also if you are interested. I am a CSP so I have a lot of related material also.
ced

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:08 »
How many Nuke eng books?

alphadude

« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:07 »
here is what I have found so far. some more may turn up but i have these piled up now.

Rad Health Handbook 1970  -3 copies
MOE- 3 copies
Gamma Ray Spect training. Power Safety
EDM 123 Radiation Monitoring
Chem Eng Separation Techniques
HP and RH hand book (Pink ) 2 copies
Reactor incidents study and work book
Optimization of Chemical Process
Soil Properties by Liu
Table of Rad Isotopes by Browne
CSP Study Guide
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary
MARSSIM
ION Exchange –Nuclear Fluids
RCT Fundamentals –Rocky Flats
Statistics 3 books
Reporting Technical Information
Implementing MARSSIM book 1 and 2
Advanced ISCOS-Canberra
PWR Chemistry –NUS
NUREG1507
Intro to HP –Cember
Concrete Chemistry
Radiopharmaceuticals by Subramanian
Phase I ENV Assessment
Internal Dosimetry
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 04:08 by alphadude »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:47 »
I just read Idaho Falls: The Untold Story of America's First Nuclear Accident...about SL-1.  I found it an interesting (if somewhat over-sensationalized) look at the whole accident.  

My instructor in tech school was one of the first responders on the night of the accident, so it was fun to compare what he had told us with the version given in the book.  

And, having gone to high school & tech school in Idaho Falls...and worked CPP...it was interesting to recognize places mentioned in the book.

Only complaint is that he could have wrapped it up 100 pages sooner and not omitted anything.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2009, 01:48 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2009, 04:41 »
I just read Idaho Falls: The Untold Story of America's First Nuclear Accident...about SL-1.  I found it an interesting (if somewhat over-sensationalized) look at the whole accident.  

My instructor in tech school was one of the first responders on the night of the accident, so it was fun to compare what he had told us with the version given in the book.  

And, having gone to high school & tech school in Idaho Falls...and worked CPP...it was interesting to recognize places mentioned in the book.

Only complaint is that he could have wrapped it up 100 pages sooner and not omitted anything.

One of our civilian instructors at ELT school at S1W in the early 70s was a responder to the accident at SL-1. I wonder if he might be the same man. He had some very interesting stories.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: Jul 28, 2009, 06:51 »
One of our civilian instructors at ELT school at S1W in the early 70s was a responder to the accident at SL-1. I wonder if he might be the same man. He had some very interesting stories.

My instructor was Paul Maser...he was HP at CPP most of his career.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 28, 2009, 09:34 »
My instructor was Paul Maser...he was HP at CPP most of his career.

Nope not the same guy but then there were a lot of people there for response and recovery. I wish I could remember his name, he and Doc Wrencher were, very good and entertaining instructors.

rptech31

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 07:26 »
I always thought it would be extremely interesting if someone were to publish a book or compilation of stories based on the different experiences people have had in the nuclear industry.  The way things were in the 70s and 80s is almost polarizing compared to the way we do things now. 

How someone would go about getting consent and other things for use of names would be a challenge probably. 

Marvin

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 06:34 »
The Truth About Chernobyl, by Medvedev

...probably no longer in print...picked it up at on the bargain book shelf at wallie-world in the early 90's

...Medvedev was the investigating engineer assigned to report to the Kremlin when the accident occurred.

...one of the first people to show up with a high range dose rate instrument

...written in russian, then translated into english (not a very good translation).

...has dose rates and other interesting radiological information

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Oct 04, 2011, 03:29 »
Nuclear Energy: What Everyone Needs to Know
Charles D. Ferguson

One of my classmates just recommended this book to me, describing it as a fun easy read.  I intend on picking it up when I find the time (most likely after graduation) but just wanted to know if anyone here has read it and what you think of it.

It's a fairly new book and the only review of it on Amazon uses the info in the book as more evidence to not pursue nuclear energy.  Given Dr. Ferguson's background, I find it interesting that one would make that kind of conclusion after reading his book.  I've always encouraged those interested in learning about nuclear energy to read Creating the New World by Theodore Rockwell.

The title of this book sounds like it should shed some light on all the issues and misinformation out there.  So does it?

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2011, 06:18 »
Atomic Awakening, James Mahaffey
 "Nuclear power, waiting quietly in it's coma, has now become inevitable. The need for nuclear power has finally caught up with it's mad dash to develop. Whether you like it or not, the industrial world no longer has a choice. The age of burning coal and gasoline is over, as atmospheric chemistry and general environmental pollution have approached states of crisis, and hydrocarbons are becoming too expensive to burn. We need wind, solar, geothermal, hydro, and anything else we can think of, but the base power source must be constant running, high output nuclear stations."

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:05 »
The Invention That Changed The World, Buderi

"From the ashes of the Second World War, there have emerged two great technological thrillers: Richard Rhode's The Making of the Atomic Bomb and this book.
The New Yorker

Rarely am I as impressed.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2011, 10:08 by wlrun3 »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #34 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:39 »

The book "American Nuclear Power Plants" is available in pdf at:

americannuclearpowerplants.com

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2011, 01:41 by wlrun3 »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #35 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:41 »

Smart Power: Climate Change, the Smart Grid, and the Future of Electric Utilities
by Peter S. Fox-Penner

A very clear picture of the options available to the planners who are now deciding what electricity production , transmission and usage will look like in the near future.

This website should be referenced frequently when reading this book.

http://38.96.246.204/electricity/data.cfm 

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2011, 01:48 by wlrun3 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?