Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC scholarship. What is it really worth?  

Author Topic: NUPOC scholarship. What is it really worth?  (Read 6556 times)

awolfinwater

NUPOC scholarship. What is it really worth?
« on: Aug 22, 2008, 05:25 »
Alright gents,

I calculated the total worth of a NUPOC scholarship compared to an average Engineer for the first 5 years out of college.  I need a critique on how the information is presented and figured what better crowd than a bunch of nukes!  Please feel free to PM me or respond to this thread with comments.  The site is http://www.navy-officer.com/scholarships.html

Thanks,

Former Submarine Officer

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: NUPOC scholarship. What is it really worth?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2008, 12:37 »
One thing you missed was that guys in NUPOC actually accrue leave while in college.  With the new legislation in place that now allows us to carry over 75 days of leave vice 60 days at the start of a fiscal year, a person who signs on with 2.5 years of school left will be commissioned as a Ensign with 75 days of leave on the books.  That ain't too shabby.  Leave days potentially equal cash when one separates.

Also, your chart shows a spike at the four year commissioned service point to $120K.  That spike is misleading, as guys who don't sign a contract to remain a nuke won't make that much.  And, it really should occur at the five year point, as you must be passed MSR (Minimum Service Requirement) in order to be eligible for the bonus (I recognize that it is possible to sign a contract one year early if your already qualified engineer, but must guys don't take that route).

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:39 »
I agree with Gamecock, don't show bonus till 5 year point.
Also, there are many areas with monthly pay over $3600. The average is about $3200, going up to about $5k in NY, SF, etc.
The leave, time towards retirement, and the fact that you're eligible for the G.I. Bill
If you want more details let me know (pm) we've got some good slides that are similar to whats on your site.

awolfinwater

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:28 »
Good stuff fellas.  NukeNTO, I PM'd you to talk some more.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?