Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Preparing for first underway
honeypot

Author Topic: Preparing for first underway  (Read 17634 times)

LuckyKid

Preparing for first underway
« on: Aug 23, 2008, 09:38 »
I need some help, and I don't know who to ask. I'm timid of being "that girl" who called for a sponsor, too. *hides*

Anyway. While I'm gone, is there anything cool I can do for my husband? Anything any nukes ever did for their better halves that was totally awesome?

And also, a list of any of the randoms people forget/don't think to pack that I should take? I report to ship while it's already underway. I already have a nail brush, a diggit tool, a LED/red flashlight, the thingies to put on my belt to hold them...I know I need to buy a seam ripper and maybe one of those neat battery powered-hand-held sewing machines.

And mayhaps cookies for M-Div.

But other than that, I'm spent.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Preparing for first underway
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2008, 10:05 »
...I know I need to buy a seam ripper and maybe one of those neat battery powered-hand-held sewing machines.

Batteries can also be hard to find underway. I often had to make a LOT of uniform repairs (fat boys tear stuff quicker), I always kept at least 2 sewing kits plus extra white thread in the original container, it gets VERY easily soiled, and dingy white thread in a crisp white uniform shows up badly :(

Haze Grey and Underway, makes for a fine Navy day ! ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2008, 10:53 »
Not sure if it is the same on a carrier, but inevitably on a submarine... smokers run out of smokes. Then they pay stupid money for your "stash." I recommend packing a few cartons of smokes (reds, lights, camel lights) and a few rolls of dip. Then when the addicts start withdrawing because they "were going to quit this underway, so they only brought a couple packs", you can make some extra port cash.

Justin

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2008, 01:28 »
"dip" is contraband on the TR so if you use make shure you bring it. If you smoke the only ones sold onboard are marabro and newports. As for everything elese bring your full seabag. If they are on deployment you will proably get "picked" to man the rails on pull in meaing you need your dress uniform. If you have to leave something behind leave the working blues and whites. (I never once wore those uniforms onboard). The ships store has most typical uniform items you will need (pins, thread, patches, hats ect) make sure you have enough coveralls and utilities for underway time. Primarily coveralls nukes do not wear utilities for the most part. Pack to make sure you have a "shower" bag heads on the TR are not attached to the bearthings so you will have to have a bag with all your shower and head stuff to carry there, some people find a fluffy bathrobe helpfull, however due to the ships rules most people have a seat of PJs or PT gear that they only wear for taking a shower. DO NOT FORGET SHOWER SHOES the surfaces of the showers bolth male and female are a breeding ground for nasty stuff. Get a knit bag to store laundry DO NOT use the white laundry bags navy perscribed for attaching to racks they stink and you will not be very popular. Get a sharpie to mark all of your closes with your name. either find knit bags for socks some people mark each sock and throw it into laundry but that is not appreaciated during laundry pass out.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:07 »
If you smoke the only ones sold onboard are marabro and newports.

Oh ya, I forgot yinz have a full convenience store right next to McDonalds and the bowling alley.  ;D

Justin

LuckyKid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:24 »
Thanks!

Ehm I have six coveralls, I planned on bringing my inspection set of utilities (they're pretty much brand spanking new, with beautiful creases) for inspections and ceremonies. Should I bring a work set, too?

Are there any kinds of cigs people miss? I don't smoke, so I've no idea how to help people out.

And by contraband, do you mean I need to not be seen with dip? Because I'll take some cans of (whatever's decent?) to my div. (Tis glorious to be a woman with big hips. Coveralls, being built for a man, mean I now have a kangaroo pocket that could fit a gallon of milk in it.)

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:27 »
 8) Lucky Kid! if you want to have more storage and room for some more stuff to take(necessities ,coveralls etc) you can get some of those  storage bags you roll the air out and then pack and they go flat in luggage.great for traveling and you can reuse over and over again !!they do work  .......
Di

LuckyKid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:37 »
But do I have room for one of those blasted vacuum thingies that's supposed to suck the air out of the bags? Because once I unpack, I can't imagine ever getting all my junk back in my seabag without it.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:51 »
 ;)  no "vacuum thiggie" its just the bags and they are thin etc for all the extra room for the sea bag!and clothes will look as good as they did when you packed them just a idea for you!!

LuckyKid

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2008, 03:42 »
How many undershirts?!?!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2008, 04:23 »

And by contraband, do you mean I need to not be seen with dip? Because I'll take some cans of (whatever's decent?) to my div. (Tis glorious to be a woman with big hips. Coveralls, being built for a man, mean I now have a kangaroo pocket that could fit a gallon of milk in it.)

"Officially" smokeless tobacco is not allowed onboard CVN-71 but it is one of the most ignored rules onboard since a fair number of the chiefs and officers use it. Since it is not allowed onboard it is not sold in the ships store.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2008, 04:34 »
"Officially" smokeless tobacco is not allowed onboard CVN-71 but it is one of the most ignored rules onboard since a fair number of the chiefs and officers use it. Since it is not allowed onboard it is not sold in the ships store.

while it's contraband on, I believe, most (if not all) carriers, its a FANTASTIC way to get checkouts if you are falling behind. I prefer a book (cheaper and easier for me), but it has helped many a sailor get "un dink".   

That said, on underways, you really arent gone long enough to need most of the stuff talked about here. Make sure you have

1) plenty of uniforms
2) plenty of pens
3) plenty of toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc), however they do sell generic stuff at the ships stores
4) a personal pillow case (I cant stress this enough)
5) if you dont smoke or dip, dont bring smokes or dip cans... smokers really on each other more then buying stuff
6) laundry detergent, fabric softener sheets
7) stuff to keep you busy at night (movies, magazines, books, etc)
8) for underways, its not overly important to keep "inspection" quality uniforms ready to go. Have a clean set you can make ready, but most often you wont need it.

last but not least, your sponsor is just that... your sponsor. She will not hesitate to help you out if she is even half way decent. I had a dirt bag for mine, but luckily people in my division helped out a bunch. 

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2008, 06:12 »
I also recomend your own sheets and blanket unless you liked the stuff in boot camp. While you will not use a blanket very offten it is nice during winter Atlantic crossings.

Some people use sleeping bags on their racks... personnaly I think that it is kinda gross since it is very hard to wash one underway. Ships laundry will not take them and the dryers in self service laundry suck.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2008, 11:43 »

last but not least, your sponsor is just that... your sponsor. She will not hesitate to help you out if she is even half way decent. I had a dirt bag for mine, but luckily people in my division helped out a bunch. 

Have YOU sponsored anyone?

LuckyKid

« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2008, 05:41 »
I also recomend your own sheets and blanket unless you liked the stuff in boot camp. While you will not use a blanket very offten it is nice during winter Atlantic crossings.

Some people use sleeping bags on their racks... personnaly I think that it is kinda gross since it is very hard to wash one underway. Ships laundry will not take them and the dryers in self service laundry suck.

Is there any other advice for a winter Atlantic? Cause that's what I'm reporting to.

Samabby

« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:31 »
Kid, do NOT take any cigs. Either you (1) will become an easy mark who gives them away or (2) a sleaseball who sells them at a high price - both are losing propositions. Extra t shirts are priceless. Got your Rack Pack?

Good luck to you, son.  8)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:42 »
If you can find room for it, I HIGHLY recommend a bottle of Febreeze.  Not only will your rack pick up all sorts of funky odors from the ship but your clothes will too.  Not to mention that you might the unfortnate individual that gets stuck racking next to the person whose hygeine regimen isn't exactly up to snuff(less likely since you are a female, but not unheard of). 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Sep 04, 2008, 03:34 »
If you can find room for it, I HIGHLY recommend a bottle of Febreeze.  Not only will your rack pick up all sorts of funky odors from the ship but your clothes will too.  Not to mention that you might the unfortnate individual that gets stuck racking next to the person whose hygeine regimen isn't exactly up to snuff(less likely since you are a female, but not unheard of). 

Showers alleviate this problem -.- lol I Havent had any issues with smells.

Sammaby -> shes a she :D And I completely agree with you on the cigarettes.

ET(SS)Skandy

« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2008, 08:06 »
Candy also works great for checkout bribes...definitely helps make them easier.  So, i recommend bringing a bunch of candy.  Not sure how surface boats work, but my boat only lets us have individually wrapped hard candies in the Engineroom...but that doesnt really stop people.

I can neither confirm nor deny that i have eaten pizza while standing mid-watch SRO  :P
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2008, 08:21 by ET(SS)Skandy »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2008, 07:07 »

Showers alleviate this problem -.- lol I Havent had any issues with smells.

Yes, they do.  However COMMA there are some wonderful individuals that feel showers take away from time to do other things and since "7-Man Stinky Guy Scrubbing Parties" are officially discouraged, Febreeze maybe the only recourse available.  Every berthing has at least one stinky person.  Besides, it may not be YOUR stuff that you have to spray to alleviate the smell. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:03 »
Yes, they do.  However COMMA there are some wonderful individuals that feel showers take away from time to do other things and since "7-Man Stinky Guy Scrubbing Parties" are officially discouraged, Febreeze maybe the only recourse available.  Every berthing has at least one stinky person.  Besides, it may not be YOUR stuff that you have to spray to alleviate the smell. 

Come now, he is salty with sea experience. Be nice.  :P

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2008, 03:28 »
Come now, he is salty with sea experience. Be nice.  :P

Justin

cleaning experience? ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2008, 09:48 »
cleaning experience? ;)

Yes, I am getting PLENTY of that -.-

Preciousblue -> Fair enough :)

bheinz

« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2008, 11:56 »
LuckyKid---
1)I would bring an Ipod or CD player or something to listen to music to. It helps when you are in your rack and can't sleep because of all the outside noise going on in berthing.
2) Workout clothes. There are plenty of places to work out on carriers, and it's a great stress relief.
3) And yes you need your utilities. There are times when you won't be able to wear the coveralls above deck, like when you are in port. At least that's how it was on the Stennis.
4) And to answer your question about what to do for your husband, I say trying to keep in contact as much as possible. Emails and calls, and of course hand written letters are nice to receive from half way across the world.

LuckyKid

« Reply #24 on: Sep 06, 2008, 11:40 »
Thanks everybody! This is all great advice.

I actually heard the other day that headphones were a married woman's bf-apparently there's an unspoken (until then, I suppose) social law on carriers that dictates women who are wearing headphones while they work out are there to work out, those who are not wearing headphones are there for *ahem* other things.

So large headphones went on the list of things to buy, and seeing your point (thank you thank you) I won't take tobacco products. Werthers yumminess, however, is not a bad suggestion. Caramel is good.

Risking a good teasing: is it a good or bad idea to take a peacoat without insignia on it for use as my coat in port on this underway?

Please and thx.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #25 on: Sep 07, 2008, 08:20 »
Don't take "nooners" until after you have qualified your first watch and stood your first set of drills.  This will pop your cherry--pun intended--and will show your shipmates that you are not a slug. 

Qualify all the damage control stuff you can, not in tandem, but at the same time you are doing the nuke qualifications.  This will set you apart.  If there is still such a thing as a P-250 pump, learn how it works and demand theory to practice--light one off on your own.  Again, setting you apart.  Surface Pukes (I was one) tend to shun DC, but don't be fooled by the fact that the ship is floating.  A surface ship always steams at test depth, unlike our sisters in the submarine force who patrol above test depth and only occaisionally flirt with danger.  ;)

When I left the Navy, there were only about 8 women nukes left from the first wave.  They, at least the ones I knew about, were well respected.  You can have that, too!
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

mlslstephens

« Reply #26 on: Sep 07, 2008, 08:34 »

-apparently there's an unspoken (until then, I suppose) social law on carriers that dictates women who are wearing headphones while they work out are there to work out, those who are not wearing headphones are there for *ahem* other things.

So that's why I always got hit on while I was working out on the submarine...no headphones. 

I never knew I was sending out those signals to all my shipmates.   :P

Note to the moderator: Sorry for getting off topic...I now return you all to your regularly scheduled topic; preparing for first underway.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Sep 07, 2008, 03:14 »
Is there any other advice for a winter Atlantic? Cause that's what I'm reporting to.

Bring the utility jacket if you don't have on anymore I realy can't recomend buying one since the will probably not be a uniform item in a year or so.

Bring 2 padlocks preferably key rather than combo there is very little light in berthing when the lights are out (most of the time for Rx Department berthings) and random flashlight "light" is not appreciated by people trying to sleep neither is fumbling around with a combo lock.

Don't wear rings on the ship it is a real safty issue

Don't leave your coffin rack unlocked while you are in it..... you might get umm well stuck in it
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2008, 03:15 by 93-383 »

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #28 on: Sep 08, 2008, 01:02 »
They do make LED flashlights with a red lighting function.  This works great at night; you can see well enough to find your boondockers that someone else kicked across the floor as they sashayed to their pit.

The combo locks can be beaten off with said boondocker, too.  Not safe for your valuables.

Also, sad to say...no matter how much you trust your berthing mates, do not leave a single thing out you don't want someone else to have--EVER! 

BONG!-BONG!-BONG!, General Quarters! General Quarters!...etc.  Put the iPod into the coffin locker and lock it!  You will be pretending to fight a main space fire, while someone else is setting Circle William in your compartment.  This someone else is not your berthing mate and will not necessarily be as honest as you would like.

While you sleep, roving watches will be strolling through to verify no fire or flooding...

These people may need extra money or be very covetous.  I worked at two different primarily submarine commands and heard they have the same types of problems...once!
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?