Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hazardous Waste Technician honeypot

Author Topic: Hazardous Waste Technician  (Read 5589 times)

Offline vjgrubbs

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Hazardous Waste Technician
« on: Aug 28, 2008, 06:26 »
I worked at Flour Daniels Fernald for 13 years and started as a hazwat then took training to become a controlroom operator and operated the controlroom for 5 years. I worked on many start up projects and helped them through completion. However there is nowhere to go from here. I am not sure where my previous training fits into this industry. I am interested in becoming a radtech or something along those lines but cant do many years of college. Are there any places that are in the clean up stages that would be a good idea to apply to or on line classes I could take that would help me get pointed in the right direction? I am working fulltime, not in the industry, but would like to get back in the environmental field. Just wondered if anyone in the industry had any suggestions that would help because I am not involved in this field and out of the loop now that Fernald is cleaned up. I apologise for the previous post as you can tell i am new to this site and didn't read all the rules. I just wanted some help and posted this question on spur of the moment. Sorry for the insults if I caused any, didn't mean to yell.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2008, 05:34 by vjgrubbs »

justatech

Re: Hazardous Waste Technician
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2008, 07:48 »
hazwat then took training to become a controlroom operator and operated the controlroom for 5 years. I worked on many start up projects and helped them through completion.

Why would you want to start over as a tech - why not apply to Operations at operating Nukes?

Offline vjgrubbs

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:37 »
I have looked on this site and all I can find is decontaminations jobs which dont seem to pay much. Do you know where I would begin to look? I am pretty much at a loss as to where to start and to look? Thank You so much for your advice that sounds like it would be a good avenue to research but I dont even know how to do that. Sorry that I seem helpless, this is all very new to me. Thank you again for your help it is appreciated I will do some research on the internet.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2008, 02:19 »
Personally ..i think you should apply to the utility itself..a direct hire for Ops.

what i would do is look on the utility websites for:
Constellation
Dominion
Progress Energy
FP & L
AEP
the list goes on...but my point is they all have human resource links

..you can probably apply as an operator at gas power plants too. Alot of utilitys own both and i know workers that have started at gas plants then upgraded to nuke ;)

Take care and good luck
Kath
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline vjgrubbs

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2008, 02:58 »
Thank You for your advice!!! I appreciate it very much ;D  I will try that. Have a nice day!!!
Thanks again!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:25 »
vjgrubbs..... iffen i was going to look for an operator's job, i'd check the local utilities generating plants.  there should be a number of those in your area, fossil burners and hydro units.  if they have no openings, they'll probably be able to direct ya to the nearest utililty that would be in need of operational personnel.  h&r folks call it networking, but i call it asking and helping others.  don't matter, does it?  iffen ya wanna go nuke, then probably your closest sites would be in the tva network or first energy. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline vjgrubbs

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:41 »
SloGlo Thank you for your advice you have been very helpful. I will try your suggestions and I appreciate your help. Thanks again ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?