Career Path > Outages

Cell Phone Contamination

(1/5) > >>

kp88:
The radiation detectors in the contamination monitors at my plant are incapable of detecting radiation emitted through cell phone and pager cases.  A pen that is used in a radiological controlled space, carried in a pants pocket, is not subject to this radiation shielding effect.

Cloth, leather, and vinyl materials, such as pager and cell phone cases, are not commonly used as radiation shielding materials.

Can someone explain to me what type of radiation is detected by a tool monitor that is not detected by a personnel monitor?

Why can’t this technology be developed to detect contamination on actual people?  I tend to care about people more than wrenches.    ::)

retired nuke:
The tool monitor detects gamma radiation. It is electromagnetic radiation emitted from the nucleus of an atom, and has great penetrating power relative to it's energy. It can penetrate metal. It does not have a charge, and thus, is not as likely to interact with matter.

The personnel monitor detects beta radiation. It is particulate radiation from the nucleus or an atom. It has a charge of -1 (sometimes +1) and interacts readily with matter. It can be stopped by lightweight materials like plastic and aluminum.

The second personnel monitor (at most plants) is also a gamma detector. This ensures that radioactive material is detected on personnel, including items in pockest, stuck on shoes, seams of clothes, etc.

Many plants now are using an "empty pockets rule" where ALL items that can be put in a tool monitor, will be monitored that way.

Hope this helps.

kp88:
“The tool monitor detects gamma radiation.
The personnel monitor detects beta radiation.
The second personnel monitor (at most plants) is also a gamma detector.”

Ok, I agree.

However, you are telling me that personnel contamination monitors are incapable of detecting gamma radiation, if it is emitted through commonly used clothing materials.  I hoped that I had already said that. :)

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: kp88 on Sep 06, 2008, 03:08 ---“The tool monitor detects gamma radiation.
The personnel monitor detects beta radiation.
The second personnel monitor (at most plants) is also a gamma detector.”

Ok, I agree.

However, you are telling me that personnel contamination monitors are incapable of detecting gamma radiation, if it is emitted through commonly used clothing materials.  I hoped that I had already said that. :)

--- End quote ---

It's more a function that the cell phone has lots of nooks and crannies where alpha and beta emitters can hide out and not be detected by the SAM or personnel monitor, or the person and pocket being monitored would shield it from detection.

dinutt:
 :o Are we starting to see this as a major issue at the sites ? alot of personnel take their cell phones into RCA..haven't heard much about this yet til now? interesting  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version