Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fall Protection on Refuel Floor honeypot

Author Topic: Fall Protection on Refuel Floor  (Read 8890 times)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Fall Protection on Refuel Floor
« on: Sep 08, 2008, 12:51 »
OK folks - we all know that there is a lot of climbing on equipment during disassembly, and reassembly - how have you seen fall protection done? OSHA says you aren't supposed to tie off to a crane, but the riggers has to climb up on the equipment to attach the rigging. Anybody out there got a method that is safe? I'm tired of crew telling me they'll just be careful....20 feet off the floor... :(
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
Re: Fall Protection on Refuel Floor
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2008, 02:16 »
I certainly would not tie off to your crane, it can't even hold fuel transfer canisters ;).
LM

Offline sdabler

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2008, 02:18 »
Go to the plant safety manager or engineer and ask for a tie off point or have a temporary cable guide installed. Have you thought about using a retractable line? It gives the flexability to for movement from locations and positioning.

vikingfan

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2008, 02:58 »
i have seen retractable lanyards attatched to the strong backs during disasembly that workers can pull down to them selves and hook in to prior to climbing onto the drywell or rpv head.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2008, 03:16 »
Go to the plant safety manager or engineer and ask for a tie off point or have a temporary cable guide installed. Have you thought about using a retractable line? It gives the flexability to for movement from locations and positioning.
i have seen retractable lanyards attatched to the strong backs during disasembly that workers can pull down to them selves and hook in to prior to climbing onto the drywell or rpv head.

Unfortunately, the strongback is attached to the crane, making it part of the crane. I am looking at a lifeline across the cavity, with a retractable lanyard for each worker (subject to vendor load / personnel limits). Just wondered if anyone else had done this, since no plant wants to try anything unless it is a "best practice"
Dilbert example... - http://www.dilbert.com/2008-09-03/

:-\
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

vikingfan

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2008, 03:39 »
Unfortunately, the strongback is attached to the crane, making it part of the crane. I am looking at a lifeline across the cavity, with a retractable lanyard for each worker (subject to vendor load / personnel limits). Just wondered if anyone else had done this, since no plant wants to try anything unless it is a "best practice"
Dilbert example... - http://www.dilbert.com/2008-09-03/

:-\

not sure how ypour floor is set up, but at my last plant near where the stair to the cavity are there is a perm mounted piece of girder that the retractables can be attatched too.  like i said not seeing your floor ,that is until i get there in oct not sure if this of much help or not.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2008, 04:01 »
OSHA does not specifically prohibit attaching to a crane.  What is prohibited is the attachment of a person to a non-manual hoist.  so, the non-moving parts of the crane might be okay if they can hold the weight.

The other alternatives are to use scaffold, handrails, lifelines, or even a boom lift (JLG) or scissor lift.  You could even use a personnel basket attached to the crane.

There are lots of options, but you are going to get resistance because of the usual excuses (uncomfortable, inconvenient, time-consuming...)  It helps to remember that excuses are just excuses, and none of them are defensible reasons to allow undue risk.

One of my favorite quotes when dealing with this is to tell the complaining party (especially if he is in management) "If you can explain it exactly that way on the witness stand, you might have a chance." 

I'm getting a sense that you are suddenly thrust into an occupational safety role without any management backup.  No matter what, do not let them make you a fall-guy (no pun intended).
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2008, 07:15 »
OSHA does not specifically prohibit attaching to a crane.  What is prohibited is the attachment of a person to a non-manual hoist.  so, the non-moving parts of the crane might be okay if they can hold the weight.

The other alternatives are to use scaffold, handrails, lifelines, or even a boom lift (JLG) or scissor lift.  You could even use a personnel basket attached to the crane.

There are lots of options, but you are going to get resistance because of the usual excuses (uncomfortable, inconvenient, time-consuming...)  It helps to remember that excuses are just excuses, and none of them are defensible reasons to allow undue risk.

One of my favorite quotes when dealing with this is to tell the complaining party (especially if he is in management) "If you can explain it exactly that way on the witness stand, you might have a chance." 

I'm getting a sense that you are suddenly thrust into an occupational safety role without any management backup.  No matter what, do not let them make you a fall-guy (no pun intended).
Man, I wish you was here for a beer or two....
You are right, I am new to the industrial safety hat...and I'm trying to take it seriously. I have backup from my mgmt, but I am expected to also come up with the solutions. Right now, it is improving. I may not get all the fall protection fixes done this outage, but at least the thought process is moving.
I am working on the lifeline across the cavity for the crew standing on the head and insulation, etc. And we are going to have tie offs while the railing is down. I haven't solved the problem of unrigging the head, blocks, etc once they are up on the floor - >6', but nowhere to tie off.
Up till now, it has been an attitude of "we'll have a safety person watch and tell people when they get too close, and we'll be careful". Not the best culture, and I'm trying to change it. My mgr understands, but has little industrial experience, or in plant experience. So the craft supv have been able to weave a good story, of "we've always done it that way"
Onward through the fog... :D

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:12 »
Well...  I do this for a living.  I can be there in a day and a half if you can cut a purchase order.  Our rates are reasonable.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:29 »
when aye usta due refool four a living, won of da plants dat eye did repetedly used a man basket rigged to da crane.  it worked purty good.  den agin, dat wuz last millenium.....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?