Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Dress Code
honeypot

Author Topic: Dress Code  (Read 55476 times)

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Dress Code
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2008, 11:00 »
Okay, we are going over the edge here on professional dress code.  In all my years in job coverage, briefings, meeting with plant management and even the NRC, the dress for success issue did not matter. What did  matter and still does is the knowledge and experience of the person.    I would much rather work with an experienced person in a t-shirt than work with a fool in a coat and tie.

shovelheadred

« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2008, 07:23 »
....Finally, somebody explained the topic in a way everybody can relate...thanks, Old HP.....Red

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2008, 02:20 »
Okay, we are going over the edge here on professional dress code.  In all my years in job coverage, briefings, meeting with plant management and even the NRC, the dress for success issue did not matter. What did  matter and still does is the knowledge and experience of the person.    I would much rather work with an experienced person in a t-shirt than work with a fool in a coat and tie.

Did it matter? I also remember a time when we, as a HP department, had some stroke and were taken seriously on the job. I think we are still taken seriously but it has diminished quite a bit. Is this because of so many that just don't show up looking professional? Because we as a group, generally speaking, are some of the most vocally opinionated on site? Because we as a group (generally speaking again, doesn't apply to all but I think you'll agree there are many out there) are the ones that want to have "the power" that we have and do not do a professional job in applying it. In other words, "your going to do it my way and I don't care what you think, I'm in charge here!".

I think it is a bit of each. I think that our appearance and the way we interact with others on site has a huge impact on whether or not we are taken seriously as professionals and in turn represents Bartlett or who ever else you are working for in a negative or positive light.

I need no convincing that appearance equals quality of work. But when we show up on site and the CLIENT has not met you before, He or She deserves some reassurance that they were staffed with a professional group. Bartlett also deserves this courtesy as our employer. How do we give them this assurance? Look and act professional, the work will still speak for it self but why not get off on the right foot in the beginning and not have to convince the client that you are more serious about your job than you appear?

While some may think that this dress code thing is a bit over the edge, I maintain that it is more important than most think. Look and act like a pro and you will silently demand that you are treated like one.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2008, 03:02 »
Brett,
You are missing the point.  You can fool some people with the way you dress but you cannot fool anyone if you don"t know how to perform the job you were hired to do.
By the way, I don't show up at work with holes in my clothing and flip flops. I still try to take pride in doing a good job. I have worked at more than 35 sites and have done 10+ outages at numerous plants, but if I can get paid better and can get better treatment from my employer and the plant management, I would wear a tie while covering CRD pulls.
I would have to draw the line there because I refuse to wear a tie with SCBA.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2008, 04:42 »
Brett,
You are missing the point.  You can fool some people with the way you dress but you cannot fool anyone if you don"t know how to perform the job you were hired to do.
By the way, I don't show up at work with holes in my clothing and flip flops. I still try to take pride in doing a good job. I have worked at more than 35 sites and have done 10+ outages at numerous plants, but if I can get paid better and can get better treatment from my employer and the plant management, I would wear a tie while covering CRD pulls.
I would have to draw the line there because I refuse to wear a tie with SCBA.

I don't want anyone to think I am shooting at them. I don't wear a tie to work or anything close to it. I personally don't judge anyone on appearance (or at least I try not to).

I am not trying to make the point that presenting yourself in a professional manor when you go to work will convince the client that you know your job. I am suggesting that if you go to work looking professional, it will tell the client that we are a group that cares enough to make the extra effort to look professional and we expect to be treated as such. When the outage starts, our work will speak for it self.
The bad are bad and the good are good no matter the clothes they wear. I am making the argument for the sales pitch, and that is what it is basically. We are selling the idea that we are a serious group and to be taken seriously. The first impression is very important and will have an effect on client confidence. If you have been to the plant 10+ times and they all know you are a good employee...then you could wear flip flops to work, they already know you (I still don't think that would be the right way of going about things but what ever).

In another industry I built and maintained relationships with business managers and executives. I believed these opinions to be true before I had the job, but it was tested true every day when I worked there. Your appearance matters in the eyes of the client. How you are treated is a reflection of how you look in the beginning of any relationship (business and personal by the way).

I agree with your points about fooling people and the work speaking for it self. I am just stating the facts about human behaviour. Your book will be judged by the cover initially like it or not. If your appearance looks professional you won't have to deal with any preconceived notions by the client that your work may be as unprofessional as your appearance.
I am just talking about setting yourself and your company up for success from the start.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2008, 04:46 by Brett LaVigne »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

justatech

« Reply #30 on: Sep 11, 2008, 05:52 »
While some may think that this dress code thing is a bit over the edge, I maintain that it is more important than most think. Look and act like a pro and you will silently demand that you are treated like one.

Agree. I met a tech a few years ago that started with Rad Services out of Apollo Pa - needless to say he has been in the business for many many years.

He always showed up for work dressed in clean jeans, clean shirt - looked like he just got out of the shower.......... every morning he would report to the control point and listen to everything going on around him. Craft coming in for briefs - at the same control point some techs were always carrying on about the night before - some looked like they had a bad night and just crawled out of bed etc............he'd stand there quietly listening as the house tech briefed the guys......... sometimes he would go out with the crews .......... sometimes not......... when the craft had a question he would answer them in his respectful, professional manner.... After a week or so I did notice it didn't matter if another tech was going out with the crew or not - they would always look over at this tech for confirmation of what they were being told. This tech received respect from the house guys and the craft for his knowledge and his professional attitude. I'm not saying the other techs weren't as intelligent as this tech - I'm saying he put his best forward and it spoke volumes about this tech. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #31 on: Sep 11, 2008, 11:03 »
I don't want anyone to think I am shooting at them. I don't wear a tie to work or anything close to it. I personally don't judge anyone on appearance (or at least I try not to).

enny buddy else member when ties where worn at da beav on fridays, pay dey four g.t.s teks?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

shovelheadred

« Reply #32 on: Sep 12, 2008, 08:10 »
...not getting off the serious side here...but I remember a tech at Farley in the 80's that wore a different baseball uniform to work everyday...not just a shirt, and scrub pants...I mean the whole suit(Hat, pants. socks)..like he was gonna be pitching for the Yankees at breaktime....he didn't last long...he threw the RPM a curve ball in containment...

..getting back in line here...Looks, looks are decieving.....but Knowledge, Tact, and Respect...go along way, regarding being asked to return next outage...or disrespected in a breakroom discussion...

Alot of talk here about hair, scrubs,,,,whatever...I haven't seen anything about tight jeans and low cut scrubs and somebody's girlfriend, or a waitress or a dancer being supervisor with little or no knowledge of RP...does this not happen anymore?..It was common in the 80's and 90's...but this is a new millinium and I am out of that arena....just a curve ball from a baseball fan....red

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #33 on: Sep 12, 2008, 10:54 »
...not getting off the serious side here...but I remember a tech at Farley in the 80's that wore a different baseball uniform to work everyday...not just a shirt, and scrub pants...I mean the whole suit(Hat, pants. socks)..like he was gonna be pitching for the Yankees at breaktime....he didn't last long...he threw the RPM a curve ball in containment...

ba da boom.... ;)

Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: Sep 12, 2008, 11:49 »
I think we need to look the look and walk the walk at all times.  I came back after being out for 18 years and I was shocked to see some of the techs coming to training looking like they lived in their cars.  Not shaved or even clean clothes.  That makes a bad first impression to say the least...smelling bad too.   They looked like boilermakers!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Sep 12, 2008, 12:31 »
I think we need to look the look and walk the walk at all times.  I came back after being out for 18 years and I was shocked to see some of the techs coming to training looking like they lived in their cars.  Not shaved or even clean clothes.  That makes a bad first impression to say the least...smelling bad too.   They looked like boilermakers!

Two things.  1. Leave Getts out of this.  2.  What do you have against boilermakers?

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Sep 12, 2008, 01:21 »
Two things: 1. Who is Getts?? 
                 2. And I have nothing against boilermakers but you can see  them a mile away.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #37 on: Sep 12, 2008, 01:27 »
He meant Getz, and if you don't know him you won't know what he is talking about....:)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Sep 12, 2008, 01:46 »
Poor Mike...I don't know why he needs to be dragged into this...wait, yes I do. Anyway, he's not here to defend himself so I will say this.

Mr. Getz made for interesting conversation and I actually enjoyed spending time with him at work. I will also say that I remember him wearing his Bartlett button down, short sleave shirt to work every day at DC Cook back in...92 or 93, don't remember exactally. Dead of winter on Lake Michigan and just a short sleave Bartlett shirt...no coat!

Anyway, I wanted to say that Mike upheld the dress code for the site. Lived in the car but wore the shirt. ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #39 on: Sep 12, 2008, 01:53 »
I haven't seen anything about tight jeans ...does this not happen anymore?..It was common in the 80's and 90's...but this is a new millinium and I am out of that arena........red

me two, red. aye ain't woar know tite jeans since da turn of da century.   ;)

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #40 on: Sep 12, 2008, 02:27 »
I think I remember him eating chicken bones at Kewaunee in the 80's..got ya..

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #41 on: Sep 12, 2008, 02:57 »
I keep my hair business length. I dress in a manner appropriate to the position I hold and the work I am doing that particular day. When I am office bound, I wear something along the lines of a nice pair of Italian dress slacks, a button-down oxford shirt, an Eddie Bauer sleeveless sweater, matching belt and wing-tips. On days when I am going to be briefing craft in a large group for an evolution in the can, I go a bit more casual. If I am going to be running around the aux. building covering a job, I may opt for jeans and a Hawaiian shirt with steel-toed sneakers. In the can, dress is the usual Barney suit.

hairdude!!!  yinz gotta git two gather with rennhack 'n start a sartorial page!  a "nukeworker gee cue"  iffen ya kneads a name!  a digital cammera, yer day lee dress.... 'n mikey kin sell extra advertizing spots fer brandini, dockers, tommy, perry ellis............. thinka da notoriety!  da phame!  da monee!

shovelheadred

« Reply #42 on: Sep 12, 2008, 05:18 »
...I think his name was Goetz...spoke fluent German...heavily invested in stock market...and though he had weird ways, is quite intelligent...
..I remember catching him sleeping at Surry near the RHR area...on nightshift,,"he told me he wasn't sleeping, he was conserving body energy to prevent a heat stress condition"...now how could you reprimand a man, with a reply like that...Goetz was in a class of his own.....red

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #43 on: Sep 13, 2008, 12:10 »
Thanks Slo ... Nuke Gee Qioux ... Hmmmm ... We could have roving field reporters and photographers cover special events like "Wide Tie Wednesday" and "The Ugliest Jams Competition" ... I feel a magazine idea developing ... ;)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #44 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:04 »
Thanks Slo ... Nuke Gee Qioux ... Hmmmm ... We could have roving field reporters and photographers cover special events like "Wide Tie Wednesday" and "The Ugliest Jams Competition" ... I feel a magazine idea developing ... ;)

due knot four git bout deziner scrubs, coordinating face shields, mirror tear aways for face pumps, 'n booties four boogying when yinz ar setting cry teria four best drest in da can!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #45 on: Sep 14, 2008, 09:34 »
Thanks Slo ... Nuke Gee Qioux ... Hmmmm ... We could have roving field reporters and photographers cover special events like "Wide Tie Wednesday" and "The Ugliest Jams Competition" ... I feel a magazine idea developing ...

Don't forget a Chapter on Face Jewelry... :o

RG

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #46 on: Sep 14, 2008, 07:52 »
Don't forget a Chapter on Face Jewelry... :o

RG

'n deconning same......

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #47 on: Sep 15, 2008, 07:22 »
Ooooooo ... There's a subject to ponder. I can't say I'm a big fan of facial jewelry in the plant. I've actually had people work for me who made jingling sounds when they sneezed. But ... Nothing on the books forbidding such a thing so ... I did, however notice that said individuals won the pee pee test lottery more often than others. Just a coincidence I'm sure, but something to ponder. I'm all for self expression, but ... after crawling around on my knees in a charging pump room looking for a guy's finger on a certain occasion, (someone else found it but there were a few tense moments there) I couldn't help thinking what the case might have been if it had been facial jewelry and not a gloved finger that got caught in that clutch belt.

shovelheadred

« Reply #48 on: Sep 15, 2008, 06:31 »
...I have over the last few weeks, read all this and in my own old Hippy, Biker way I want to say this....I look like I do and to some people I am offensive, but at a biker event I am the norm...so one event I was looking at a person with purple hair, that was spiked and started to say something aout it,,,until I looked in the mirror...some of us don't look the normal, maybe there is a reason..what is normal for you isn't for me....this is a new generation of Rp's, millwrights, deconners,,,and people...and will continue to be...when I was in the Navy, with a Navy haircut, I didn't look the norm in SC,, I still had an earring ,I put in in 1975...but in 1975 earrings for guys were taboo( and yes it was in my left ear)...and I had a beard...now all of that is taboo in the Navy, we could get an OBA(remember those) fit test with a beard, if you could get a seal...so what I am saying is,,,I understand all the wear a Bartlett collarded shirt and be presentable during training, and on your way into work...but that doesn't have a D#@%n thing to do with the knowledge or worth ethics you present during the work day..and that is where the rubber meets the road, not walking around training week talking to all your buddy's, or at the bar buying the boss a beer, so you can stay a week longer at the outage...and never ever judge a book by it's cover....I am proof of that....red

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #49 on: Sep 15, 2008, 08:57 »
hail, iffen yinz gots good gold oar silver jewlry, den aye aint gots two mucha problem wit dat.  butt, ya no sum thing?  when eye sea peeps data clos too fourty waring plastic, 'n wood stuff, eye gots tu wonder watt iz up wit dat?  iffen i didn't have nuff cash two put quality inn two a hole aye had placed in my body, eye woodent git dat whole!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?