Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outage Crane Operator honeypot

Author Topic: Outage Crane Operator  (Read 5908 times)

jdliv

Outage Crane Operator
« on: Sep 16, 2008, 03:01 »
Greetings to all,

I am a complete newbie as it relates to the nuke world so excuse my ignorance with some of my questions. I am a Certified Crane Operator looking to break into the nukes during the outages. Can someone please provide me with a little insight as to how I can accomplish this endeavor. I am not looking for a hand out, just a little helping hand in pointing me in the correct direction or some good advice would be equally appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Outage Crane Operator
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2008, 03:56 »
Greetings to all,

I am a complete newbie as it relates to the nuke world so excuse my ignorance with some of my questions. I am a Certified Crane Operator looking to break into the nukes during the outages. Can someone please provide me with a little insight as to how I can accomplish this endeavor. I am not looking for a hand out, just a little helping hand in pointing me in the correct direction or some good advice would be equally appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

OK Jim. As a crane operator, you should be familiar with the Operating Engineers union - check the link -
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13465.0.html and do a google for the local near the plant you are seeking to work at. I've never been to a plant that didn't use union crane operators, but I haven't been everywhere.
Near the top of the home page, on the right, is a search function. It can be helpful.
Good luck
John
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

jdliv

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:01 »
Thanks for your reply John. I am currently a member of IUOE local 12 so I have that covered. Can you give me a heads up on the background check necessary for working within the nukes. I have a clean background so it shouldn't be a problem. What clearance level will be required and what can I expect as to the information required.

Thanks again,

Jim

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008, 06:51 »
Thanks for your reply John. I am currently a member of IUOE local 12 so I have that covered. Can you give me a heads up on the background check necessary for working within the nukes. I have a clean background so it shouldn't be a problem. What clearance level will be required and what can I expect as to the information required.

Thanks again,

Jim
Background check is done by either the Utility or the Contractor company, depending. Been a while since I've done one, but it usually involves addresses, and references for the last 5 yrs or so. They run a check for records in the areas you list, credit check, police record, etc. Doesn't take long. Good luck.

John
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

jdliv

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2008, 07:44 »
John,

Once again thanks for the info. I have done some additional investigation and have a better understanding of the process for the background check. I should have nothing to worry about. I have a opportunity for an up coming outage and just want to do some homework beforehand. Hopefully this will provide me an entry into the nukes on a more frequent basis.

Jim
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2008, 07:45 by jdliv »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2008, 09:08 »
One suggestion I have if you do go to an outage is get a GET/Radworker handout and read and understand it prior to going to site.  Many times over the years we have all seen people leave due to not understanding the material or being intimidated by the material and having to take the exams on a computer.
Just my 2 cents and good luck,
LM

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2008, 09:25 »
One suggestion I have if you do go to an outage is get a GET/Radworker handout and read and understand it prior to going to site.  Many times over the years we have all seen people leave due to not understanding the material or being intimidated by the material and having to take the exams on a computer.
Just my 2 cents and good luck,
LM
Great point LM, +K
Here is the link to the Nukeworker study guide - http://www.nukeworker.com/study/gert/

jdliv

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:27 »
Thanks to both of you.

Jim

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?