Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Moderator temperature coefficient(MTC) uncertainty

Author Topic: Moderator temperature coefficient(MTC) uncertainty  (Read 10168 times)

jinggang

HI, Guys:
    I have one question about MTC uncertainty on PWR. In most current industry design code, the calculation MTC uncertainty limit is 2 pcm/F, and 2 pcm/F is used mostly in safety analysis. However, during the startup physics test, the measured MTC uncertainty criterion is 3 pcm/F compared to the calculated value.  Why the (M-C) uncertainty is not 2 pcm/F in the startup physics test?
    Your kind answer is highly appreciated.
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

rlbinc

Re: Moderator temperature coefficient(MTC) uncertainty
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2008, 12:59 »
You guys can back me up on this - but I'll take a stab at it.

MTC is more negative during startup because the Boric Acid Concentration will be higher during startup than during power operation at rated conditions. As power is increased towards rated thermal power, Power Defect will add negative reactivity, which will be countered by dilution.

I'm a BWR guy, so that's as good as I can do over there in PWR land.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008, 11:03 »
You guys can back me up on this - but I'll take a stab at it.

MTC is more negative during startup because the Boric Acid Concentration will be higher during startup than during power operation at rated conditions. As power is increased towards rated thermal power, Power Defect will add negative reactivity, which will be countered by dilution.

I'm a BWR guy, so that's as good as I can do over there in PWR land.

What do you mean higher? MTC is more negative at power than at Hotstandby because Boron Concentration is lower. At certain concentrations, ie refueling MTC is slightly positive.

During startup we use a combination of Control Rods and Dilution to offset Power Defect and Xenon.

As for the uncertainty I'm not sure. Perhaps you read the "code" wrong. Usually a number like that means you have to meet a given value INCLUDING the uncertainty in which case 3PCM would be far more conservative.

Mike

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2008, 05:17 »
Getting back to the original question (uncertainty in design versus uncertainty in testing), this may be a case where the base values differ.  It may be that the values calculated for physics testing are different than the values calculated for the safety analysis.  At the plant I work at, the safety analysis physics data is biased to be conservative, while the physics data used for startup test verification is biased to be "real."

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2008, 05:33 »
Which is exactly what I posted.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?