Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Regulations Question

Author Topic: Regulations Question  (Read 6586 times)

LuckyKid

Regulations Question
« on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:10 »
K-this is only vaguely related to Nuke Power (sorry!) , but I got new eyeglasses and I was wondering who I had to worry about in my future COC who would determine whether or not they were "eccentric or faddish", as those are the only determining statements in the regs.

Thx.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Regulations Question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2008, 02:09 »
The short easy answer is anyone who is above you. But more than likely it will be a Chief. If you are worried, then why did you get glasses that aren't withing regs? Any pics of the glasses?

Justin

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2008, 03:20 »
The regulation about "faddish" anything. Are subjective to the command and the bosses. While they don't look good the only truly safe glasses are the ones provided by Navy medical. However I have been wearing Tommy glasses for the past seven years and have had no problem however they are a conservative design.  If the glasses have a typical color silver, gold, metallic, ect. But vibrant colors like white, pink, yellow, blue ect. Will probably attract negative attention. Shapes are the next issue any standard shape will not be a problem.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2008, 11:14 »
Here's my take, being a former Chief:

Yes, unfortunately, "faddish" is an extremely subjective term - and everyone above you in your CoC is going to use their own personal interpretation.

Probably the best description of where the "faddish" line falls is this:
Picture yourself standing in formation at a formal event such as a Change-of-Command ceremony; is the image of you standing there with your glasses, surrounded by ranks of your shipmates, closer to an overall professional image for you and the group?  Or is that image closer to you standing way out from the crowd and looking like a goofball?

Unique/unusual doesn't always mean faddish, as long as you still look professional in uniform.  And if an individual in the CoC does try to throw the "faddish" flag at you, you can usually win on appeal (to the Dept Head or whoever is next in line above the complainer) as long as you still look professional in uniform.  Of course, when you're NOT in uniform, you can be as faddish as you want to be*.

- Greg

* = Void where prohibited, certain restrictions apply.   ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008, 11:15 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2008, 12:01 »
My personal rule of thumb was to not spend much money on frames, and not be too surprised or heartbroken if the wire frames were bent out of shape donning a Mk 5 or OBA (modern translation for the Navy:Next Generation - MCU-2P mask or Scott Air-Pak ) for the real deal. Wire frame and shatterproof lenses.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2008, 03:32 »
My $0.02 I had two sets of glasses. One for the ship (underway primarily) and old pair not bad but pretty basic. And another new pair I wore other times. If you were contacts I do not recomend them while underway, I always had a problem with them getting too dry while in the plant.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2008, 08:24 »
General rule of thumb.......

If you have to ask if something is within uniform regulations or not....then it probably isn't.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2008, 07:55 »
Simply put, they need to bear a "military appearance." 

If they start singing the the Sesame Street song, "Three of these things are like each other, one of these things is not the same..."  and you aren't one of the three...then, you might be a redneck.  Oh, wait, that is something else.  Then, you may want to use your fashion statement when not in uniform.  I knew tons of people who wore the sorriest, cheapest birth control glasses (BCGs) while in uniform.  They could have been GQ models on liberty.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?