Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting back into the Nuclear field

Author Topic: Getting back into the Nuclear field  (Read 6778 times)

kahlua541

Getting back into the Nuclear field
« on: Sep 22, 2008, 06:47 »
     I spent 3 years as an ELT in the Navy.  I got out on an admin discharge and started college upon separation.  After my first year of college I got an interview with the Intel Corporation and got a job with them working in one of their FAB's as a maintenance technician.  They hired me based on my military experience.  I have now worked for Intel for 7 years and am looking to get back into the nuclear field. 
     My question is, what are the possibilities of working for a nuclear power plant after being away from that field for 7 years?   

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Getting back into the Nuclear field
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008, 10:34 »

My question is, what are the possibilities of working for a nuclear power plant after being away from that field for 7 years?   

In short, good.  You've got the Navy experience which does count for something, how much varies from plant to plant.  You've got real world experience which can count for more.  The average age of nuclear plant workers is in the high 40's and plants need workers.  The main thing is to disclose everything throughout the hiring process.

Best of luck & Welcome to Nukeworker!

Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

kahlua541

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2008, 11:10 »
Thanks for the response Tom.  ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2008, 11:18 »
A very good friend of mine got out of the Navy in 1988. Around 2002 or so I talked him into bidding a NLO position at Fermi and he stepped right back in like he'd never been out. Then again he was always one of the best nukes I ever knew.

Mike

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2008, 12:53 »
In our NLO class of 20 (well, 18 now), some have no nuclear experience, but did have technical work experience and are doing fine. The two we lost: 1 medical and 1 took a Rx Eng job elsewhere.

Jason

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2008, 03:09 »
     I spent 3 years as an ELT in the Navy.  I got out on an admin discharge and started college upon separation.  After my first year of college I got an interview with the Intel Corporation and got a job with them working in one of their FAB's as a maintenance technician.  They hired me based on my military experience.  I have now worked for Intel for 7 years and am looking to get back into the nuclear field. 

I was an ELT and then did 11 years as a road tech then took 5 years out of the nuke business and had no problem getting back in as an NLO.

Keln

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:50 »
I got out in 2002 and worked in the steel industry in maintenance since then. I recently got a job in the nuke field, but not at a power plant. I had several recruiters (and one plant) tell me that getting a job at a power plant with my time away from the nuke field would be difficult at best. I don't know if that's true or not right now, but I do know there are other nuke jobs that aren't in power plants that are easy enough to get into for ex-nukes. All the guys at my new job are mostly just out of the navy, but some have been out much longer than me. I'd guess if you want to get to a power plant some day, getting a job in the field that is more easily available right now could be a good springboard for that goal.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?