Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Recession/depression question

Author Topic: Recession/depression question  (Read 5739 times)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Recession/depression question
« on: Sep 29, 2008, 05:56 »
Some people are saying that today was Oct 29 1929 (Black Tuesday) all over again. My question is if the alarmists are right and we are headed for the second depression can anyone speculate the impact it would have on the civilian power community?

At this point I should have enough time left in the Navy to wait and see if the economy implodes, but it’s starting to make me wonder if I should leave a stable government job and enter the private sector with questionable market conditions.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: Recession/depression question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:34 »
If pundits are to be believed (?) then things are about to get ugly.  Good chance that was going to happen regardless.  How ugly things get are anyones guess.  But I'm guessing that one of the last things that people will get turned off is power.  The need for electricity isn't going to go away--if it does then having government job isn't going to help.  If you have some time wait and see.  If credit dries up then I expect to see the new plants delayed . 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:49 »
  If credit dries up then I expect to see the new plants delayed . 

I agree....

Financing is one of the major obstacles to new plants....

If there are no loans to be had...then there will be no new plants.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:52 »
SHAMELESS PLUG:  This discussion is well under way in the Gold Member section.  For just 10 cents a day you can join in on the most engaging discussions of our time while supporting nukeworker!
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2008, 06:59 by withroaj »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:30 »
ummmm, you do know that during the depression the US Army played wargames with cardboard cutouts which had the word "TANK" printed on them doncha?!?!?!?!,... ;)

I kinda remember stuff like that from American History. It's hard to guess what the reduction in tax revenue would do to the Navy nuclear community since the program didn't exist until over 30 years after the depression.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:58 »
ummmm,...think Vidyaevo, Severomorsk, Gremikha, Vladivostock, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, etc., 

Exactly! Plug in " vladivostok, russia " into Google Earth, and see the November and Victor 1 class boats abandoned waiting for scrapping, just bobbing like forgotten sneakers in the Doughboy pool..

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2008, 10:38 »
SHAMELESS PLUG:  This discussion is well under way in the Gold Member section.  For just 10 cents a day you can join in on the most engaging discussions of our time while supporting nukeworker!

Nicely done, sir. :)

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?