Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu LATE BONUS PAY  

Author Topic: LATE BONUS PAY  (Read 8468 times)

NCMOM24

LATE BONUS PAY
« on: Oct 02, 2008, 03:42 »
My son finished Prototype School in Ballston Spa NY over one month ago.  It seems he and
his whole class have not received any bonus money due them.  One-half to two thirds was due
after gradaution.  They expected in a week or so and nothing has happened.  He is trying
to make plans to marry and this is holding up everything.  My question is who does he contact?
No one that he has spoken to has been any help. Anyone have a phone number or web site to
help?

Thanks

NCMOM

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: LATE BONUS PAY
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2008, 03:52 »
My son finished Prototype School in Ballston Spa NY over one month ago.  It seems he and
his whole class have not received any bonus money due them.  One-half to two thirds was due
after gradaution.  They expected in a week or so and nothing has happened.  He is trying
to make plans to marry and this is holding up everything.  My question is who does he contact?
No one that he has spoken to has been any help. Anyone have a phone number or web site to
help?

Thanks

NCMOM

Congress hasn't passed the FY09 budget yet, and Federal agencies and employees are on a Continuing Resolution until one passes.

I think I saw something on the news about Congress being somewhat busy right now, something about trying to keep the entire US banking and financial system working. Bonuses might be a little farther down the list.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2008, 04:01 »
It's not late all of my bonuses inital payments took at least two months to get paid. With the curent FY just starting and budgets up in the air I would not expect to get the money for some time.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2008, 04:01 by 93-383 »

NCMOM24

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2008, 04:06 »
Is that the real answer?  Are all military raises and bonuses based on Congress approving
the budget or is that a guess? Congress was to adjourn on Sept 26th but held off to
vote on the bail out bill.  They will adjoun soon and I can check but I think they have pass
the budget already.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2008, 05:28 »
Is that the real answer?  Are all military raises and bonuses based on Congress approving
the budget or is that a guess? Congress was to adjourn on Sept 26th but held off to
vote on the bail out bill.  They will adjoun soon and I can check but I think they have pass
the budget already.

I would say this is a very educated guess. It happens all the time. I remember when the bonus system was switching from graduation checks to Direct Deposit. My bonus got held up for a couple of months. Not the same thing, but you can see that anytime the government has to do something, it is slow and tedious. Big big wheels, turn slow slow slow.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2008, 05:37 »
the budget or is that a guess?

Yes and No.

Yes bonuses and payraises get held up for budget funding issues, it usualy happens around Oct 1 but primarily at the end of the FY rather than the begining I knew severl people who had to wait months for their bonus check that they should have gotten in September.

No pay is not affected by the failure of the Congress to approve a budget, case and point the 1990s (can't remember the year) government shut down the sailors where still paid.

DFAS can give better info you can find their contact info on mypay

https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:00 »
I believe it is a fiscal year thing...

For a one-time benefit, the time-honored tradition of being paid every 15th and the 30th was changed to 15th and the 1st in 1987.  So, on pay period was effectively moved from 1987's budget to 1988 on October 1st, 1987.  This helped the government at the moment. 
What also helped the government was when the January 1, 1988 check was issued on the 31st of December (because of the New Year Holiday--wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more).

Unless the contract stipulates a time frame, getting paid after successful completion of the nuclear power pipeline can be up to termination.  The weasel in me says they can justify reporting to the first sea-going command as an integral part of that successfull completion.

That's why everything must be stipulated by contract...
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:03 »
Yes bonuses and payraises get held up for budget funding issues, it usualy happens around Oct 1 but primarily at the end of the FY rather than the begining I knew severl people who had to wait months for their bonus check that they should have gotten in September.

October 1st begins the new fiscal year, not January 1st, as your post seems to allude. ;)
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2008, 02:00 »
Not to sound mean or anything but your son should learn to never count on bonus money to support his plans especially something as important as marriage. In my career I've seen bonuses coming exactly on time (ONCE) to being up to 9 months late (More than once)

Mike

NCMOM24

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2008, 07:28 »
Well he was paid the first 1/3 on time....I guess we were naive to think the balance would
come that way also.  As for marriage...his idea to try to squeeze it in before reporting to duty
not knowing when he would have 2 weeks available again...can't fault him on that.   Thanks all
for your comments and help

NCMOM24

LAGM

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2008, 08:31 »
My son was selected for NUPOC in September. And will be going to OCS in November.  He was told that he would be getting his signing bonus but still has not received it.  When do you think he may obtain it?  Thank you!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2008, 01:33 »
October 1st begins the new fiscal year, not January 1st, as your post seems to allude. ;)

I'm not sure how your get that but working with shipyard funding and budgets I am painfully aware that Oct 1 brings the start of the FY

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?