Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New to nuclear power.. Is my career in danger?  

Author Topic: New to nuclear power.. Is my career in danger?  (Read 6192 times)

goldenuke

New to nuclear power.. Is my career in danger?
« on: Oct 02, 2008, 10:08 »
Hello, I've been on a couple of outages now as a junior decon, and lately all the talk of plants being gone in 10 years and such has me worried, as a worker in my 20s I had hoped this would be a potential life long career, anyone with knowledge on the subject have some insight to quell (or educate) my concerns?   :-\

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: New to nuclear power.. Is my career in danger?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:01 »
not sure what rumors you are hearing.  Most plants either have requested or have already gotten 20 year extensions to their current licenses.  In addition,  there are at least a half dozen plants on design boards to be built in next few years.   Most of the existing plants will be there through your career and there will be additional ones.  To make it better for you,  take a look at the average age of the workers that you see.  Most are already in late 40's -50's.  Most of those people will be gone from business in next 10 -15 years.  There will be plenty of places for you to work
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

goldenuke

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:06 »
that's a bit more reassuring :)

vikingfan

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2008, 07:44 »
not sure what rumors you are hearing.  Most plants either have requested or have already gotten 20 year extensions to their current licenses.  In addition,  there are at least a half dozen plants on design boards to be built in next few years.   Most of the existing plants will be there through your career and there will be additional ones.  To make it better for you,  take a look at the average age of the workers that you see.  Most are already in late 40's -50's.  Most of those people will be gone from business in next 10 -15 years.  There will be plenty of places for you to work

good point grantime !  goldenuke keep in mind that those plants that have recieved their extensions will operate until around 2030 or so ! in fact fitzpatrick just recieved their 20 year extension of their original operating license. hope this makes you feel all warm and fuzzy now ! :):)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2008, 02:17 »
Ok, here is a bit of advice for a new nuke worker. Don't buy into what you hear in the breakroom from nuclear naysayer's. The industry is alive and well and it is a great time for a young person to get involved. There is a bright future here (pardon the pun).

As a new person to the industry, and a young person, it can be very easy to get caught up in breakroom gossip or get a sour feel about the job from older workers that may not be happy with what they do for a living or are just tired of the road. Do some of your own research on the health of the industry and I am sure you will draw conclusions that mirror mine on where the industry is heading. Ignore the negative talk of some of our "angry at the industry" co-workers and draw your own conclusions on if you like the job or not. There are so many directions you can go in this industry with a little ambition, you should feel good about your decision to work in the nuclear industry and have pride in it.

Take a look at one of the hottest topics in our nation right now, energy. No matter what the condition of the economy is, the growth of our need for more energy continues on. As long as people keep making babies, the increased need for energy will survive. Where working in a factory making widgets (or Chevy's) depends on so many factors, the need for making power is much more simplistic. Energy is a "Need", not just a "Want". You can forgo buying a new Chevy and save your money by driving your old Chevy, but you can't not buy new energy to heat your house or turn on your lights.

Good luck and welcome to Nuclear Power! It is good to see new blood.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2008, 03:01 »
goldenuke.... hare's a bit a news dat mite help ya git dat warm 'n fuzzy feeling.  warren buffet (mega billionaire) jist bought constellation energy last week.  they are big in nukes.  he duzzant throw around his muney uselessly.  use yer money dat ya save to git utility stock dat has nukes.  ya cood make yer portolio represent da plants yuve bin to.  ittle work out in da end for yinz.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2008, 05:26 »
Put your concern in a more scientific context:

All this radioactive stuff will be around a long time and somebody will have to watch it and someone will have to clean it up.

I call that job security.

Make sure you get commercial and DOE experience, and then you should always be able to find work.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2008, 01:42 »
Learn everything!!!!  I went from DOE HP to medical field HP about to start up a cyclotron.  With all the old farts gettin old they are going to need this rad medicine to see inside em.  But that being said I still will jump at the chance to work commercial.  Best of luck and keep your head up and your stick in the ice.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?