Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Noob Nuke Navy questions honeypot

Author Topic: Noob Nuke Navy questions  (Read 55642 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Noob Nuke Navy questions
« Reply #50 on: Oct 12, 2008, 06:39 »
If you go to a submarine you'll see what BESS is actually worth.  Nukes are pretty much the only enlisted folk on the boat who actually have some watchstanding experience when they show up.  Our forward bretheren may have trained on some DC gear in BESS, but they pretty much have to learn the whole watchstanding thing (most of your job on a sub) from scratch.  If you go to the Charleston prototypes you will have an opportunity to take part in basic drills (drills are another massive part of your job) revolving around submarine Damage Control (some say DC is the backbone of a good submariner -- very true if the poo hits the fan).

You would just have to talk to a member of the USS San Fransisco about Damage control. They are very lucky to still be with us, the reaction to the collision can be credited with saving the majority of the crew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_San_Francisco_(SSN-711)

OK I give up I can't seem to get the last parenthesis into the address, you will have to cut and past it to get there.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2008, 07:40 by Marlin »

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2008, 02:34 »
Also got a question about BESS. Since nukes don't go to BESS, do they get trained at some point in the things taught at BESS such as using the SEIE MK-10 escape suit???

Escaping...you should be concentrating on getting propulsion back...escaping is for cones... :D
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:45 »
Escape???  HAH!
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #53 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:20 »
thanks gamecock for your response. I've been considering the enlisted route more and more these days.  Also got a question about BESS. Since nukes don't go to BESS, do they get trained at some point in the things taught at BESS such as using the SEIE MK-10 escape suit???

again thanks all for your responses!!!

and how did that work out for the crew of the Kursk ??

Fermi2

« Reply #54 on: Oct 29, 2008, 01:44 »
thanks gamecock for your response. I've been considering the enlisted route more and more these days.  Also got a question about BESS. Since nukes don't go to BESS, do they get trained at some point in the things taught at BESS such as using the SEIE MK-10 escape suit???

again thanks all for your responses!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

PapaBear765

« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2008, 04:58 »

3.  You can qualify other watch stations, and at some commands it is highly encouraged.  There are two that off limits though, Reactor operator is for ETs only and ELT is for ELTs only.  Just about all others are up for grabs.  

Just to add another specific: anyone can qualify secondary chemist, with some restrictions.  Can't remember what they were exactly, but something like sampling is okay but not allowed to add chemicals.  And only for boiler water, not condensate.

mishin

« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:28 »
I watched a bit of "carrier" 6 months taping of life on a aircraft carrier by PBS.  How accurate do you believe they portray life on ship? They also say that you never see the Nukes because they are always in the classified personal only room.  Comments? Thanks.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #57 on: Oct 30, 2008, 01:27 »
I watched a bit of "carrier" 6 months taping of life on a aircraft carrier by PBS.  How accurate do you believe they portray life on ship? They also say that you never see the Nukes because they are always in the classified personal only room.  Comments? Thanks.

Can't go to the propulsion spaces due to security.

Probably didn't want camera crews showing the nuke's berthing spaces, in order to avoid scenes of: MMs bending the nubs over a trash can with duct tape, EMs using rebel flags as drapes and sharpening knives , and ETs dabbing on some Estee Lauder while speaking Klingon, playing D&D:Servants of Cthulu module in their underwear while they are dink on quals, or painting their nails emo on camera.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #58 on: Oct 30, 2008, 02:34 »

As far as how the airdales and topsiders behave it was pretty accurate. The CMC was very acurate. The only segment they had with a nuke was not accurate at all. I don't know what happened with that guy but he was not a accurate representation of the nuclear community on a CVN.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #59 on: Oct 30, 2008, 03:28 »
It goes along with why dignitaries, both foreign and domestic, don't ever really get to talk to nukes.  Imagine if you were some Senator or Prime Minister and here comes Joe the Nuke.  You proceed to ask him how he likes his job and being in the Navy.  What do you think the response is going to be?   Rated G, PG-13, R, or "unfit for human consumption".  Now take that same rant and broadcast it all over the US to whoever watches PBS.  Now as the Navy you can do a few things, either A.) Allow Joe the Nuke to give his honest opinion, allow PBS to air said opinion, and see how your Nuke Community recruiting does.  B.) Allow Joe the Nuke to give his opinion, then refuse to allow PBS to air said opinion, and then have some goverment coverup conspiracy come out that the Navy is suppressing the sharing of honest opinions of its sailors(this is PBS afterall, fairly liberal to start with so I am sure they would LOVE to have something like that).  or C.) Find one nuke, Joe the Diggit, and let him share his rose colored opinion and keep all the disgruntled types below decks in spaces that they won't be bothered by journalists.

So what do you decide??
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #60 on: Nov 01, 2008, 09:23 »
Can't go to the propulsion spaces due to security.

Probably didn't want camera crews showing the nuke's berthing spaces, in order to avoid scenes of: MMs bending the nubs over a trash can with duct tape, EMs using rebel flags as drapes and sharpening knives , and ETs dabbing on some Estee Lauder while speaking Klingon, playing D&D:Servants of Cthulu module in their underwear while they are dink on quals, or painting their nails emo on camera.

And your point is????  Dave, don't be a hater. 

You know that our hygiene and grooming is why we were first to go through the crossing the line ceremony.  Our representative specimen, Bucky, was a demure girl-next-door hottie for the Royal Court's Queen, who was chosen over the Princess Diana look-alike tramp from M-div.  Word has it that the Estee Lauder made all the Master Chief's think back to their exploits in the PI. :o
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #61 on: Nov 15, 2008, 07:18 »
As far as how the airdales and topsiders behave it was pretty accurate. The CMC was very acurate. The only segment they had with a nuke was not accurate at all. I don't know what happened with that guy but he was not a accurate representation of the nuclear community on a CVN.

They ACTUALLY put a nuke on that show?! I would LOVE To see that! What did he have to say?

EDIT: http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/full_episodes.htm

episode 3, "super secrets" lol
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2008, 07:28 by Nuclear Janitor »

mishin

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 03:49 »
rofl!!! AHHAAHA i've been sold!...if i had read this/checked forum earlier i would've had no worries about life as a nuke..that is soo my style hhaahahha. i do have some lingo to catch though.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?