Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need some advice from Officers and Enlisted
honeypot

Author Topic: Need some advice from Officers and Enlisted  (Read 7558 times)

moobyseviltwin

Need some advice from Officers and Enlisted
« on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:39 »
I've been browsing this site for a few months now, finally decided to speak up. I need advice on what path to take in the Navy.

I am a 26 year old graduate from a liberal arts college with a major in Physics and a minor in Math, GPA 2.96. For almost three years I worked as a draftsman/engineer with a diesel generator packager. A year ago I decided to leave that job.

Along with my less than stellar GPA (and a major component of the cause), I have a history of marijuana use. I started my first year of college and have kept it up semi regularly but I have never used any other "hard" drugs. Part of the reason I left my job was so I could end the disposable cash flow and quit for good.

So there are several waivers I would have to get: age, grades, drugs.

Do I have a chance getting accepted NUPOC? If not, what I have read on other sites has been that I would be better off applying to another officer program than enlisting. Is this true? I have suspicion that I would be more satisfied as an enlisted Nuke than some other kind of officer, especially if I could get into Subs. Do I have a chance getting into Subs? What about even surface Nuke? How much does my degree and job history weigh against the waivers?

As my grandfather served his time in the Navy (Engineman I believe) during the Korean war, Navy service has always been in the back of my mind as a nagging desire, but obviously not a driving force. Otherwise I would have not started smoking, and would have gone NROTC in college (in the midwest, that would have been interesting...)

Thanks in advance for the time and advice.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Need some advice from Officers and Enlisted
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2008, 03:01 »
I wont comment on your eligibility for NUPOC or another direct officer program. But your GPA defiantly won't help.

My major comment is about your marijuana use comments. You need to remember that the Navy has a zero tolerance policy regarding drug use. That means caught once and you are gone, no reprieve, no parole, no excuse. You stated you left your previous job so you didn't have excess income to spend on weed, as a enlisted nuke with no wife or children you will have lots of disposable income (eventually) and lots of stress. These are situations that don't meld well with substance abuse.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2008, 06:36 »
NUPOC is not a program for people who have already graduated from college. 

You should be asking if you have a chance at OCS and nuke. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:24 »
Have you considered Merchant Marine?  I can go into the pros and cons; but from where I sit with the seeming frank and candid self-report you gave, I believe you should really research this option.

deltarho
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Samabby

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2008, 12:36 »
Stay clean for a year and ask again. In the meantime, attend 365 NA meetings.  It can happen. Good luck. 8)

moobyseviltwin

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2008, 12:54 »
the Navy has a zero tolerance policy regarding drug use.

Even if I don't go into the Navy I won't start up again. That time of my life is over now.

NUPOC is not a program for people who have already graduated from college. 

You should be asking if you have a chance at OCS and nuke.

My mistake. I thought NUPOC was a term for candidates at OCS who had been selected Nuke. A confusion of terms, but the question still stands as you've put it: Do I have a chance at OCS and nuke?

Have you considered Merchant Marine?

I know nothing about Merchant Marines, but I will look into it today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stay clean for a year and ask again.

When 2008 ends it will have been a year.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:16 »
I started my first year of college and have kept it up semi regularly but I have never used any other "hard" drugs. Part of the reason I left my job was so I could end the disposable cash flow and quit for good.

Security clearance checks nowadays go a lot farther back into time, asking your references who ELSE knew you and your lifestyle. You knowingly having repeated business with drug dealers over a period of time, in the investigator's view, may demonstrate a willingness to knowingly violate laws or allow yourself to be compromised.

Another loose thread they love to pull is the "did you leave a job after being told you would be fired?" etc, they will pull that thread hard. Private companies normally only give the generic "he worked here from date X " reply, but they WILL answer any questions  from NCIS, FBI or whoever with the right badge asks. I doubt they will find it credible that you voluntarily quit a job under no pressure, to live on Ramen noodles to avoid buying drugs.

Assuming the clearance would be denied, what career path would be desireable?

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:15 »
" When 2008 ends it will have been a year. "

This is good news. Keep up the good work.  8)

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2008, 05:01 »
Just some info about NUPOC/OCS for nukes (remember this is generic and everything is evaluated one a case-by-case basis). 

Drug waivers typically only get approved for MJ and the most I've seen is for 10 times use.  That's kind of the unofficial definition of "experimental use".

You wouldn't need an age waiver for nuke officer provided you could get your commision before your 29th B-day.  Academically your grades are far from stellar as you have said, but more important in some cases than your overall GPA is your individual course grades.  Someone with a 2.96 and no D's/F's will generally stand a better chance than a guy who has a 2.96 with D's/F's.  That probably seems obvious, but the point is that there are lots of ways to end up with a 2.96.  If you want an honest assessment of your chances from an academic standpoint send me a PM and I'd be happy to look at your transcripts.  I work for Recruiting Region WEST and only do recruiting for nuke so I'm happy to help if I can.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?