Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 'The Nuclear Option' on CNBC 14OCT2008 honeypot

Author Topic: 'The Nuclear Option' on CNBC 14OCT2008  (Read 6732 times)

emd44

'The Nuclear Option' on CNBC 14OCT2008
« on: Oct 14, 2008, 02:57 »
Hi guys-
This is my first post here on NukeWorker.  I'm a college student going back to Drexel University for mechanical engineering.  I grew up a mile from Limerick, so nuclear power has always been fascinating to me.  I want to try to get into the nuclear industry from the construction side, maybe Bechtel.  Anyways thats off topic I'll ask that in another area of the forum.

"The Nuclear Option" premieres tonight, 14OCT2008, at 2100 ET on CNBC.  Is anybody going to watch this?  Also, if you see it, what are your comments?

Thanks
Evan

GO PHILS!!!!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: 'The Nuclear Option' on CNBC 14OCT2008
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2008, 05:23 »
Hi guys-
This is my first post here on NukeWorker.  I'm a college student going back to Drexel University for mechanical engineering.  I grew up a mile from Limerick, so nuclear power has always been fascinating to me.  I want to try to get into the nuclear industry from the construction side, maybe Bechtel.  Anyways thats off topic I'll ask that in another area of the forum.

"The Nuclear Option" premieres tonight, 14OCT2008, at 2100 ET on CNBC.  Is anybody going to watch this?  Also, if you see it, what are your comments?

Thanks
Evan

GO PHILS!!!!

Welcome to Nukeworker...I'll be watching this...should be interesting.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2008, 05:53 »
emd44   :D First of all welcome to nukeworker and good luck with your future in the world of nuclear power! I do believe I will try to watch this as well should be very interesting !!!!  I may end up recording it as work time comes very early in am.

Di

LaFeet

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2008, 11:10 »
Watched it and found it consistently true.  At least they presented the facts correctly... of course the Greenpeace Guru is still dead set against anything that is not solar and/or wind power.

Pretty interesting the archived photage of the waste being dumped in the ocean.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2008, 11:40 »
No I'll not be watching.

Separatist....

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2008, 02:56 »
I wound the piece to be fairly accurate, and a refreshing change from all of the false anti-nuclear garbage out there.

However, it seemed to lean very far toward the PRO-nuclear agenda... only showing 2 anti-nuclear people for good measure... mostly so the pro-nuclear could refute the anti-nuclear peoples claims.  Not that thats a bad thing... But we must remember that CNBC parent company is GE who manufactures reacture parts.

CNBC Link includes slide show and videos:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26868716/

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2008, 03:05 by Rennhack »

emd44

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2008, 03:32 »
Pretty good endorsement to have the founder of greenpeace say "I'd be happy to live in a nuclear reactor."

Any thoughts on the proposal of adapting France's reprocessing ideas?  I also don't understand DOE's concern about the plutonium production, if the reprocessing facility is a secure site with the proper security procedures in place, any plutonium produced could be turned over to DOE for possession/stockpiling/security, right?  The other thing I thought was interesting was in the description of the fuel reprocessing in France, it seemed that they described it as the fuel was taken from the reactor, placed in a dry cask, transported to the reprocessing facility, then stored in a pool for a number of years to decay.  It was my understanding that fuel fresh from an operating reactor was quite hot, both activity-wise and thermally due to the decay products, too much so to transport by dry cask.  Can anybody comment on this?

Quick off-topic question-- can anybody give me a quick explanation of the karma thing?

Also for those who missed it, two additional air times:
SAT 18OCT2008 0100 on CNBC
SUN 19OCT2008 2200 on CNBC
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2008, 03:38 by emd44 »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:27 »

Quick off-topic question-- can anybody give me a quick explanation of the karma thing?

Also for those who missed it, two additional air times:
SAT 18OCT2008 0100 on CNBC
SUN 19OCT2008 2200 on CNBC

Evan,

Karma is the way to virtually "pat someone on the back" or "smack upside the head" here on Nukeworker.  The ability to affect karma is reserved for Gold Members, more information on becoming one is here: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;sa=subscriptions

I can tell I've become Nuke by the things bothering me about the show.  For instance, saying that Chernobyl's containment "didn't" implies that they had a containment building. 

It was refreshing to see a pro-nuke slant for a change.  I also think that CNBC did well by putting it out at the first break that GE is the parent company and manufactures nuclear components. 
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2009, 05:27 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?