Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu double posting (signage) honeypot

Author Topic: double posting (signage)  (Read 4852 times)

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
double posting (signage)
« on: Oct 20, 2008, 12:07 »
Does anyone know of a specific NRC or DOE reg that prohibits this?

The site I am currently contracted at has double posting all over the place, and in one instance even has triple posting (a boundary fence, an temporary fence inside that, then a storage building inside that--each posted as an RMA and radiation area).  Their explanation is basically: "You can't be docked for too much posting, only insufficient posting". 

The site is NRC-licensed, but is also audited by the DOE due to WIPP-designated waste packaging and shipments.  The NRC auditor has been here once since I started 4 months ago, and the DOE auditors are coming in 6 weeks for my project.  (The triple-posted area is part of the DOE work under my contract.)  The site has been around for fifty years, so maybe it's just "let it be as it always has been".

Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: double posting (signage)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2008, 01:07 »
Does anyone know of a specific NRC or DOE reg that prohibits this?

There isn't one.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2008, 04:37 »
There is some language in Reg Guide 8.25 (I think) that suggests that posted areas should be as small as possible and should contain only the area where the hazard exists.

Common sense tells you that if you are inside a Radiation Area and are looking at a door posted Radiation Area, that you would think you are outside a Radiation Area.  It also tells you that if the whole building is posted as RA (or anything else) and the hazard ia only in a few parts of that building, you would tend to minimize your notion of the risk in that area and not take it as seriously as it could be.

Common sense rarely prevails in the knee-jerk, reactionary environment of a nuclear facility.  Nukes spray their whole lawn with Roundup to kill three dandelions.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2008, 05:48 »

Common sense rarely prevails in the knee-jerk, reactionary environment of a nuclear facility.  Nukes spray their whole lawn with Roundup to kill three dandelions.

So true & so sad that it is.  I'll give you the proper credit when I do Troy, but I'm going to use this someday at work. 

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:05 »
Nukes spray their whole lawn with Roundup to kill three dandelions.

iffen their reel dandy lions, thay sprayed first! 
dat sayed, posting should reflect a change in radiological conditions.  i remember gitting into a huge discussion re: this when i posted a r.a. inside an h.r.a. to show a "cool zone".  powers dat bee at dat plant didn't sea things my weigh.  it wuzzant long before i didn't see things their any way, 'n wuz onna hiway.  ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?