Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out - looking for work  

Author Topic: Getting out - looking for work  (Read 8185 times)

ELT1

Getting out - looking for work
« on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:56 »
New to the site, but so far very helpful.  I am an ELT, been in since 1997, two boats and 5 years at prototype including an 18 month PLELT tour.  Tons of experience, but no idea how to use it to find work.  TAPS was denied by my command, oh well. Looking for work in a good plant, possibly NRC, but gotta make enough to support a family of five.  Not opposed to leaving Washington, any ideas out there on who is hiring and where?  Thanks ELT1

JustinHEMI05

Re: Getting out - looking for work
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2008, 10:18 »
Hmmm. I would look into the command "denying" TAPS. I wasn't aware that they could actually do that, because I was pretty sure that it is required. At least up at NSA Saratoga, it is on the check out sheet before they will cut you loose.

Justin

ELT1

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2008, 11:07 »
I agree, there were some circumstantial scheduling issues with the command, but I have some notes and links from a few others who went earlier this fall.  Thanks for the replies, just new to this job search thing.  Tight Lines, ELT1

Offline nathaneltrct

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2008, 11:51 »
     Thanks for your service! That being said, you are mandated by congress to attend some form of TAP class, whether or not they want/allow you to go to the weeklong/days long class or not is something separate . At one of these you have to get DD-2648 form, which you need to get your DD-214, it is required by congress, and will be asked for at PSD before you get out. It actually says on the form: "Title 10, USC 1142 requires that not later than 90 days before separation, preseparation counseling for service members be made available." Required! Too many vets got out and didn't realize all the services and benefits available to them through VA, Department of Labor, etc. Please talk to your Fleet and family support center/Navy counselor asap to fix that.
     I was looking at NRC, but I know at least one opportunity had a minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an Engineering accredited school, (basically saying no Thomas Edison style degree is what that specific job posting was saying) so hopefully you have a 4 year degree from University of South Carolina or a similarly accredited good school per NRC standards. I'm researching that now, with my wife's uncle being the former deputy director of the NRC. (weird)
     As a general rule, areas around bases have fewer job openings because other people want to live there, too. Therefore, if you move, it is less competitive with 100 other sailors trying to get the same job, should be easier (my opinion).
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2008, 11:55 by nathaneltrct »
Above all, don't fear difficult moments, the best comes from them. -Rita Levi Montalcini

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:31 »
      so hopefully you have a 4 year degree from University of South Carolina or a similarly accredited good school

FYI......

:P :P When compared to the University of South Carolina, no other school will be considered good. :P :P

Cheers,
Gamecock
USC '98
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:40 »
FYI......

:P :P When compared to the University of South Carolina, no other school will be considered good. :P :P

Cheers,
Gamecock
USC '98

Unless you are talking about football, in which ALL other schools will be considered much better.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

ELT1

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:16 »
Very willing to move, even to the Tennessee backwoods, my degree is not engineering (did the New school HR degree while in NY).  Wish I had known about the TAPS requirement, the next available class is after I get out (January).  Well, resume is getting posted this week and maybe I'll have a Happy New Year down South.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:56 »
Very willing to move, even to the Tennessee backwoods, my degree is not engineering (did the New school HR degree while in NY).  Wish I had known about the TAPS requirement, the next available class is after I get out (January).  Well, resume is getting posted this week and maybe I'll have a Happy New Year down South.

There are other classes around the country, I am sure. At this point, they Navy would have to send you on their dime. You should really try to go, it was a very valuable class for the most part, IMO.

Justin

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:58 »
Good luck with the search, PM me and I can show you some other places to try.

Jason

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2008, 10:01 »
Just to let you know......we are 5-3 right now.....all three losses to top 25 teams.....2 of the three losses to top ten teams....no losses outside of the SEC.

-K to you

-K to me for being off topic

Ah yes, but at least no other quaterback from any other school has ever gotten taken out by a referee.

(no sure how to link youtube video, but if you haven't seen it by now you have missed something very funny).
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?