Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21

Author Topic: STA-21  (Read 11742 times)

Nalej

STA-21
« on: Oct 24, 2008, 09:42 »
I'm an MM1 onboard the USS Enterprise at the moment with orders to NPTU Ballston Spa.
Been in the navy 6 yrs now and am starting to put a STA-21 package in.

Does anyone have any experience on this? Seen anyone go through it?
Maybe even stood in as a Selection Board Member?

I'm nervous and don't know what to expect as far as what and how to write these Letters Of Recommendations. (Everyone knows you write them and someone else signs them)
What do they like to ask at the boards, what they look for as far as answers, etc etc.

I know that getting picked up on the first attempt isn't likely but I'd like to best first impression as possible.

Thanks.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: STA-21
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2008, 10:10 »
As with all officer programs, follow the application instructions to the letter.  They change the instructions up a little every year, so while its a good idea to get hold of someone elses package (successfully used) as a guide, don't just blindly follow that example.
The Career Counselor at either NPTU or on board the ship can steer you in the right direction.
Once you think you have it all together, get as many prior enlisted officers to give it a good going over, then get it in the hands of a CDR or above for a final review before submission via the COC.
Best of luck.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:49 »
This is just my experience from being an instructor down at NPTU Charleston, but the odds of getting picked up go down significantly as the number of years out of NPTU as a student go up.  3 Cycles, all STA 21 Pickups were Students with the exception of 4.  Out of those 4 only one was for Nuke.  You would have better chances going SWO and still being on the ship. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Nalej

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:14 »
Understood. I have the majority of my package put together already. Just waiting on ACT scores to come in and then I'll start with the interviews. I acknowledge the fact that students tend to be the cream of the crop when it comes to selections but that doesn't bother me. I think I can do this, and if it doesn't I won't be upset going SWO and then tryin to pick up the Nuclear Option later.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

viffer

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2008, 06:48 »
As mentioned earlier, it's harder to get picked up the more senior you are.  Being an MM1 gives you a better chance, as you're not as needed as ETs.

I was a LT (NUPOC) at prototype and I've done the selection boards before.  Treat it as any job interview, as the process is about the same.  Go to your local book store and read up on how to conduct job interviews.  Your interview with the board and the CO will be like that.  Prepare routinely asked questions and have preped answers.  Study what an 'officer' is supposed to be, i.e. not just standing OOD or EOOW, but a tactician, warfighter, etc....  With the students, it was always clear who didn't research what he was signing on for.  When asked why they want to be an officer, they'd say "I think EOOW is cool".  Instant drop in rankings.

Questions that you should be 100% ready to answer in a heatbeat (for an E-6):
Why do you want to be an officer instead of a  chief? (Get's rid of the 'leadership' aspect.  Also, don't say better pay/retirement.  While true, not what they are looking for).
Where do you see yourself in 7 years? (If you say "earn my degree, do my 5 years, then get out", expect not to be accepted).
What leadership experience do you have? (Sure, you've been a LPO, but what else?  Lead any special programs?  Fitness coordinator and directly raised the command PRT pass rate? Outside the Navy leadership?)
Be ready to expain any NJPs/bad evals.  Don't say "my DH/CO was a dick".  Tell how you overcame and achieved.
Why did you select ______ university to attend?  Why that major?

Other than that, be professional and polite.  Being an E-6 at prototype, if you do your board with a bunch of SEs, you probably have become buddy/buddy with a few of them.  Make sure you put your sailor-talking-to-a-officer-in-the-military hat back on for 15 minutes.  Iron your uniform, and make sure your paperwork is turned into on time.

Good luck on your STA-21 package.  One of the few "good deals" in the Navy.  Also good luck at NPTU, you'll need it.  Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Nalej

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:46 »
Thanks! That was great advice. It's much appreciated. I'll start looking at those job interview tips and start rehearsing those answers.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2008, 07:37 »
As mentioned earlier, it's harder to get picked up the more senior you are.  Being an MM1 gives you a better chance, as you're not as needed as ETs.

I was a LT (NUPOC) at prototype and I've done the selection boards before.  Treat it as any job interview, as the process is about the same.  Go to your local book store and read up on how to conduct job interviews.  Your interview with the board and the CO will be like that.  Prepare routinely asked questions and have preped answers.  Study what an 'officer' is supposed to be, i.e. not just standing OOD or EOOW, but a tactician, warfighter, etc....  With the students, it was always clear who didn't research what he was signing on for.  When asked why they want to be an officer, they'd say "I think EOOW is cool".  Instant drop in rankings.

Why do you want to be an officer instead of a  chief? (Get's rid of the 'leadership' aspect.  Also, don't say better pay/retirement.  While true, not what they are looking for).
Where do you see yourself in 7 years? (If you say "earn my degree, do my 5 years, then get out", expect not to be accepted).
What leadership experience do you have? (Sure, you've been a LPO, but what else?  Lead any special programs?  Fitness coordinator and directly raised the command PRT pass rate? Outside the Navy leadership?)
Be ready to expain any NJPs/bad evals.  Don't say "my DH/CO was a dick".  Tell how you overcame and achieved.

Other than that, be professional and polite.  Being an E-6 at prototype, if you do your board with a bunch of SEs, you probably have become buddy/buddy with a few of them.  Make sure you put your sailor-talking-to-a-officer-in-the-military hat back on for 15 minutes.  Iron your uniform, and make sure your paperwork is turned into on time.

Good luck on your STA-21 package.  One of the few "good deals" in the Navy.  Also good luck at NPTU, you'll need it.  Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I always found it funny that these interviews require both the interviewer and interviewee to lie to them themselves about what they do/what they want to do.

Justin

Wirebiter

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:28 »

Viffer is spot on about the interview.  I interviewed for 2006 and 2007 STA-21 both as an E-6.  I guarantee you will get asked the 'Chief' question.  I would recommend you have a thought out plan of what you want your career to be WHEN you get selected.  Know what you will be doing at each of your transition points.  This shows the board that A: you are thinking ahead B: you have put a lot of thought into this program and C: you understand what your future job entails.

Send me a PM if you need more info.  And yes, STA-21 is one of the few good deals the Navy offers.  It is well worth the hoop jumping in order to get here.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?