If you have children are they?

majority male
18 (42.9%)
majority female
16 (38.1%)
equal
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: The nuke curse  (Read 15934 times)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
The nuke curse
« on: Oct 25, 2008, 10:06 »
On the ship we often joked that nukes where cursed to only have girls, and for the most part (for my division) it was true. I'm just wondering if this is a trend through the community.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2008, 03:50 by 93-383 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: The nuke curse
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2008, 10:14 »
On the ship we often joked that nukes where cursed to only have girls, and for the most part it was true. I'm just wondering if this is a trend through the community.

it's the same for astronauts and high-hours pilots. Rads kill the weak swimmers, which happen to be Y chromosome more often than not.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2008, 10:21 »
I get more RADs just by turning on the instruments in most modern (pre-LCD displays) jets before push back than I got in one week of High Power Operation on the submarine.

Not to mention the high altitude operations.

Good thing I don't want kids.

They might end up *normal* ;)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2008, 07:47 »
I have three boys, no girls.  I've known a bunch of folks that have both, and some that have only girls.

There is no nuke curse that I've observed.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2008, 10:24 »
I have heard the same thing.  2 girls in the Navy and a boy after I got out..........wait a minute! :o

Actually I picked up more dose since being out than I was in.  In fact I hit the 1 Rem club twice since I got out.  Probably some truth to it, but I am no genius.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2008, 11:04 »
Dude, I hit the one Rem mark the same year I got out - and I got out on Sept. 25!!

I got more dose in one week at Indian Point 2 than my whole enlistment.

Of course, plants are much tighter and cleaner now.  I've been stuck at 12 Rem for five years now.

Four girls.  One boy.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2008, 11:06 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

rmuto

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2008, 02:55 »
Been a navy Nuke (ELT) for almost 20 yrs.  In the 2 rem club currently.. Only made 2 boys.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:21 »
I don't think the poll polls what the pollster was trying to poll.

I have 6 children: 4 boys and 2 girls.

BUT, during my power plant exposure period I had one of these six, which happened to be a girl.

I had conceived two during NSSF exposure (very minimal, the majority of my exposure came from running drills on the H.S. Nautilus) and both were boys. 

So, my case supports the curse.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2008, 02:28 »
Been a navy Nuke (ELT) for almost 20 yrs.  In the 2 rem club currently.. Only made 2 boys.

2 rem/yr or 2 rem lifetime -  ???
2 rem lifetime doesn't warrant a club..... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

rmuto

« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2008, 05:56 »
hehe 2 rem lifetime.  Which in the navy is getting harder & harder to come by.  On last boat only 1 person had more than me and that was a 24 yr master chief.

I realize for some of the older guys 2 rem was something you got the day after the quarter started. :)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:13 »
More like 2.750 the last day of one quarter, and 2.750 the next day, but only if your HP was a total wimp.  A real man would cook em up to 3.000 both times and let the TLD give back a couple.  (TLD dose is notoriously lower than the dose on a PIC)
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:40 »
Two girls, one boy, and I had 3.5 R at the end of 8 yrs in the canoe club. I wonder about the non-nukes in the nose cone. Our background dropped after submerging underway, the only people who had recorded exposure were ELTs and nubs sleeping over a warhead in the torpedo room. That would imply that most nose-coners should have a reverse ratio of gender in offspring as they received less than average background.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:19 »
That would imply that most nose-coners should have a reverse ratio of gender in offspring as they received less than average background.

Nope, just driven closer to the mean. You having a girl doesn't cause someone else to have a boy

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:27 »
That is funny, I always thought that Coners had a hard time finding people to procreate with as it was.  Their numbers would have to be skewed as it was.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

kp88

« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:41 »
More like 2.750 the last day of one quarter, and 2.750 the next day, but only if your HP was a total wimp.  A real man would cook em up to 3.000 both times and let the TLD give back a couple.  (TLD dose is notoriously lower than the dose on a PIC)

Does any reputable RP Department use a Pocket Ion Chamber?  (PIC)

DSO

« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:00 »
I had 3 girls-1 conceived prior to the Navy--1 conceived at Protype and the last one after 10 years in--due to having 3 girls I am cursed regardless if its the Nuke curse

itsaparent

« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:18 »
 :o  Um, perhaps one might want to phrase the problem as, 'I feel cursed to have no son (or not enough sons)', vs. 'cursed with daughters'....at least, I HOPE that better conveys the situation  ;)

If your daughters or their mothers read those posts, well, then you really might find yourself to be cursed by your daughters, LOL.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:54 »

We used them by the bagful back then.  There was no electronic alternative - just PIC's and stopwatches.

Update.  3 of the 4 daughters were born before I hit my first 300 mR mark.  The remaining daughter and son were concieved at around the 9 to 10 R point.

So, the rads actually brought my odds back to 50/50.  I guess the nuke curse worked in reverse for me.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2008, 06:49 »
That is funny, I always thought that Coners had a hard time finding people to procreate with as it was.  Their numbers would have to be skewed as it was.

Coners had more time to procreate - something called liberty..... ;) nukes were pretty much left with themselves aft.... :o
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:01 »
Coners had more time to procreate - something called liberty..... ;)

I thought that was called "dolphin quals"  ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:49 »

Suddenly I feel very, very old. I remember putting 24 of them at a time on people -- 2 each on head, chest, back, gonads (well, close anyway), both arms, both wrists, both legs, both ankles.

I got over one REM about 4 hours into my first job in a nuclear plant (most of it in about 10 or 20 seconds) as a radwaste tech. That was when I decided the HP had the better job.

Let me know when you join the 20 REM Club. (No children here.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:38 »
got 1 of each, their mom also has another boy, both of us are nukeworkers. Not much of a curse... ;D

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2008, 06:42 »
I have had 6 boys.  I lost my 3rd son to SIDS.  The last 2 are Jim's and he's been in the biz for about 20 yrs.   I got preggers with #5 while working at Big Rock and was preggers with #6 while working at Crystal River.

I am the Queen of my castle and thank God my last one wasn't a girl, although I wanted him to be at first.  Then I had nightmares of having to deal with a teanage girl while in my mid 50s... YIKES   :o

So, I'm very pleased with my boys, although they are stubborn like their Daddy  :P

Mnemorath

« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:12 »
I got one boy, 14mo old. I am on shore duty so no real exposure to speak of. Less then 400mrem lifetime. Once I get back to sea, we shall see I suppose. No curse that I know of so far.

Wife might be glad of one though. She wants a girl to play dress-up with.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2008, 07:33 »
I would say that you got a 50/50/90 chance of getting one or the other.

I have one boy, but he was conceived post Navy and with no other radiation sources near by.   
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:08 »
wit three kids, it kant be a even split

son wuz conceived while a signed two da moisture seperators during outage at da peach

daughter wuz conceived during assingment as swing shift hp a da peach

daughter wuz conceived during job at bettis.

don't care two dig out da dose records, butt da  m/s @ peach wuz da highest dose 'n bettis da lowist.  go figger.

27rem club.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?