Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu electrician questions..Update...Got the Job!

Author Topic: electrician questions..Update...Got the Job!  (Read 3835 times)

bluegill81

electrician questions..Update...Got the Job!
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:22 »
I passed the POSS in July, but my EAOS from the Navy was not until about a month after the AO class classed up, so there was no point interviewing.  I talked with the HR dept and they have some openings for electricians.  Electricians take the MASS which I took and passed.  I was interviewed and I feel it went great, I should find out tomorrow if I get the job or not.  A bit more of my background:
8.5 years Navy 5 years doing electrical maint. (non nuclear)
3 years recruiting
BS in Business Admin.
I'm an E-6 Ranked #1 of 97 of my peers on my most recent eval.
I love the Navy, but I am getting out because I dont want to deploy now that I have a daughter.

Question #1...Do I stand a chance getting this job?  It seems the job is extremely similar to the elec. maint. I did on the ship, but it was non nuclear.  I took the Mass with a Nuc EM, but they are hiring more than one person.

Question #2...Will the starting pay be at least comparable to what I make now?  My Gross now is about 54K a year (Navy pay, so no state tax, plus no tax on BAH).  I did'nt ask about pay at the interview because I did not feel it was appropriate.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008, 08:37 by bluegill81 »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: electrician questions (and yes i searched first)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:38 »

Question #1...Do I stand a chance getting this job?  It seems the job is extremely similar to the elec. maint. I did on the ship, but it was non nuclear.  I took the Mass with a Nuc EM, but they are hiring more than one person.

Electrical maintenance is electrical maintenance.  You may even be able to get a journeyman's certificate through the Department of Labor due to your schooling and experience. 

Question #2...Will the starting pay be at least comparable to what I make now?  My Gross now is about 54K a year (Navy pay, so no state tax, plus no tax on BAH).  I did'nt ask about pay at the interview because I did not feel it was appropriate.

Asking about the pay isn't inappropriate at all.  $54,000/year is just under $27/hour, pay will depend on location but you should beat that your first year pretty easily.  If you get hired during a refueling year you will easily top that amount.

Thanks for your service and Welcome to Nukeworker!

Tom

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: electrician questions..Update...Got the Job!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:44 »
Congratulations, that's fantastic news!  Welcome to the civilian nuke industry.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

JustinHEMI05

Re: electrician questions..Update...Got the Job!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:05 »
Congratulations! Welcome to the club. Feels good knowing that no matter how bad this recession gets, people still have to turn on the lights.  ;D

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?