Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Soon to Make the Jump

<< < (2/3) > >>

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: 20 Years Gone on Mar 01, 2004, 10:11 ---I have a good friend with a similar background who got out 3 years ago, and went to work in New York, and has done very well.  He tells me that the degree isn't that important, and that the average from I&C supervision is around 80K, and I shouldn't have much problem once I reach the interview process. 
--- End quote ---

I doubt any nuclear plant would want to hire a retired ETC as a supervisor as their first commercial (or DOE) nuclear job. That sounds harsh, but it's reality.
Get a job doing I&C for an outage or Spring / Fall season of outages. After that, you would be VERY marketable as I&C supervision.

The Navy teaches many things very well, and most companies realize and value that training. The Navy doesn't teach 40 hour work-week management, and liberty isn't the incentive of choice. Many GOOD Chiefs have fallen flat as commercial supervisors because the Navy way isn't possible. Utilizing the Overtime system is a HUGE part of a supervisors' responsibility, and can't be overstated.

The interaction with Radcon is much different than the Navy, so you want to have some experience with Radcon in a Commercial plant prior to supervising others.

Finally, let me say your friend is over-optimistic about initial salary without the degree. I was NPS class 8502 as a MM, so I went in about the same time as you, and got out in 1995. I have had more years over $80K than under since coming to commercial power in 1996 (Radcon and OPS.) You will get there, but probably not your first year.

Finally, thanks for your service. This country wouldn't be the bastion of liberty without courageous warriors willing to sacrifice for us.

20 Years Gone:
   Well, it may be a little harsh, but I really need the straight dope before I start interviewing, lest I talk myself right out of a good entry job because I have unrealistic expectations. 
   Thank you all for your insight and for taking the time to help.  This is an exciting/scary time of life, and the more I know, the better as I job hunt.  I love this sight!!

alphadude:
lots of plants hire out of the navy into management.. seen it many times

GARYGWOODJR:
20_years_gone,

I am also making the jump soon.  Any help I can lend just email me.  (I think I must have looked at every nuclear job site on the web).  If you have already written your resume using the advice given at TAP class you may want to have someone look at it first.  I talked to the chemistry director at Dresden and the first thing he told me was do not try to re-word your military experience in civilian terms.  I spoke with a buddy of mine who is a maintenace supervisor at DC Cook and he told me the same thing.  I think this really only works for the Nuclear Power Industry.  Best of luck with your job search.

Gary

20 Years Gone:
   I guess the jump is made.  I start at Wolf Creek on June 28th as an I&C Journeyman, and I'm really happy with how things turned out.  I can't thank the members of this site enough for the advice and insite given.  It's funny... All us Navy nukes who've been in a couple years know how the navy nuclear world works cold, but even though the civilian world nukes are like our cousins, your a bit "beyond the veil", so to speak, and the view we get is fuzzy and a bit distorted.  So thanks for slicing thruogh the BS, and helping clear up the picture of house vs road vs different plants vs etc.
   Kansas seems pretty nice so far... Not too many beaches on oceans, but the paople are very friendly, and those I've talked to who work at WCNOC all seem to love it.  Outstanding thunderstorms!!!
   Thanks again

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version