Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Arriving in San Diego - What to bring to a carrier? honeypot

Author Topic: Arriving in San Diego - What to bring to a carrier?  (Read 23943 times)

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
I have looked through and found some good tips regarding what to bring, but I'm trying to cut back on some things.

Here's the list so far:
Dress blues for checking in w/dress cover
6 Poopy-suits and NAVY cover
1 Service uniform (the new black and tan ones) w/cover
1 Working uniform (the digital camo)
10 Pairs black socks
10 Pairs white t-shirts
1 LED flashlight with red light and belt clip
2 Padlocks with keys
1 Seam ripper
3 Sewing kits
1 Diggit tool and belt clip
1 Nail brush
1 Laundry bag (knit)
2-3 Sharpies
Many pens (Zebras clickies if possible)
1 Very nice pillow case
Laundry detergent
1 Bottle Febreeze
Laptop
Ipod
Cellphone
Camera
1 week's worth of civilian clothes
1 Set PT gear
1 PT swimsuit
Towels for shower
1 bikini for the beach
Toiletries
Seabag and hanger bag to carry all this shyte

Should I bring several pairs of utilities, or should I just stick to the black and tans?  If I do bring utilities (or just one set), should I bring a long- and a short-sleeved pair?  Should I bother buying the digital camo? Am I missing anything?

PapaBear765

Re: Arriving in San Diego - What to bring to a carrier?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:12 »
I was on a sub, so my advice is of little help.  If you were asking about what to bring on a sub, I'd say that it depends on the person.  For me socks were more important to be changed every watch compared to shirts and boxers, which could go a few rounds.  You have A LOT more personal space on a carrier than a sub, so maybe you won't have to make such sacrifices.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2008, 06:57 »
You will rarely ever wear the Utility uniform and with it being phaesd out I would recomend only brining the Digital camo uniform (if you have one or can find it) if you cannot find the new working uniform you should bring at least one set of utilites just to make the seabag correct.

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2008, 11:27 »
It is very possible to have a seabag inspection on a Carrier.
Most of your uniform is foreign to me so I couldn't help you much there.
Supplying your own pens???? That is a new one to me. What happened to the old Lighthouse for the blind Skillcraft pens?
Laundry detergent, pillow case, and Febreeze???? Are you an ET?
A laundry pen is a good idea.
I never had too much of a problem with the laundry on the ship or getting sheets.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2008, 12:07 »
I never had too much of a problem with the laundry on the ship or getting sheets.

The laundry on my ship was consistent: put your used clothes in, sweaty and grungy. The clothes come back 3 or 4 days later damp, yellowed and smelling of someone else.

Yarrrrrrghh ! ;)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2008, 01:11 »
It is very possible to have a seabag inspection on a Carrier.
Most of your uniform is foreign to me so I couldn't help you much there.
Supplying your own pens???? That is a new one to me. What happened to the old Lighthouse for the blind Skillcraft pens?
A laundry pen is a good idea.

The skillcraft pens are fine if you can find one (varies form ship to ship)
Laundry detergent maybe
but a your own pillow case and Febreeze a must further more I recommend your own sheets unless you liked the navy linen you where provided in boot camp.
As for never having a problem with getting command supplied sheets I guess it varies from ship to ship. When I showed up, the division had no command sheets available for berthing the first night on the ship I spent with a yellow stained sheet and no pillow case wondering how I was going to survive five years on board with conditions like that. Needless to say when I became the BPO prior to transferring I made sure we had all the necessary materials for new personnel and I made them as welcome as possible. Assignment to a sea command is tough enough without having to deal with substandard living conditions. I don't care if they are a "nub"

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2008, 07:41 »

Maybe Pirate Bob is an ELT.  It fits...can do laundry in the radcon washer like all the others.  Another clue that Pirate Bob is an ELT is the tell-tale bikini ;).
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2008, 07:43 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2008, 08:51 »
You guessed it.  I'm an ET. ;D

Thank you all for the information so far.  Does anyone know about how many pairs of utilities, or any utilities, I should bring?  Is the Reagan completely changed to the new service and working uniforms?

PapaBear765

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2008, 01:07 »

Thank you all for the information so far.  Does anyone know about how many pairs of utilities, or any utilities, I should bring?  Is the Reagan completely changed to the new service and working uniforms?

See below:

You will rarely ever wear the Utility uniform and with it being phaesd out I would recomend only brining the Digital camo uniform (if you have one or can find it) if you cannot find the new working uniform you should bring at least one set of utilites just to make the seabag correct.

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2008, 11:03 »
I guess we had a great berthing Petty Officer for M-Div.
The biggest thing about the laundry is to make sure your socks aren't in the bag all balled up. Those are what would come back wet with the occasional damp t-shirt.
I am not sure how an ET is going to find a place to wash clothes unless you do them in the head sink. Can't see you having much time to do laundry on your own.

Samabby

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2008, 11:19 »
3 sewing kits? Expecting a lot of new stripes? Take a rack pack.

Offline mclumber1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2008, 06:55 »

You'll need just one set of utilities.  Make sure they are long sleeved, as short sleeves are not allowed down in the plant when we are steaming.  As far as I know, the digi camos have not been issued on the West Coast yet.  Last time I was in the NEX I didn't see any for sale.  The service uniform is available, and a lot of people are buying it and tossing their johnny cash and working whites in the trash or closet at home.

As for what you should bring to the ship:
All of your poopy suits
1 set of utilities
Dress blues
dress whites (but it's winter now, so N/A)
workout clothes
a set (or two) of civvies
Hygiene kit (DON'T FORGET YOUR FLIP FLOPS!)
underwear, socks, t-shirts
What ever keeps you from being bored (ipod, books, DS, etc)

Edited for OPSEC.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2008, 06:59 by Gamecock »

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2008, 02:26 »
Thank you all very much for the help.  I was going to take a few sets of sewing kits since I tend to lose things and they are small, BTW.   :D

Do they actually do a seabag inspection once you arrive at the ship?  If so, I'm SOL since I have my whites in storage right now.  When does Cali go back to whites, anyway?

crazy4honda

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:57 »

1 bikini for the beach
Toiletries

Since your name is "Pirate Bob", i'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're a guy.  Therefore, i'm questioning why you would want to wear a bikini?  I believe swimming trunks would be more appropriate on a shipboard/work setting.  What you do on weekends is your business.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:36 »
i'm going to go out on a limb and assume

We know what happens when you assume......  ;)

crazy4honda

« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:03 »

lol....yeah...just checked out the profile....looks like Bob is a girl. ;)

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:31 »

Hehehe.  Yeah, the name is an old joke from the Renaissance Festival I used to perform in.

Just remember, assuming makes an a$$ out of you and Ming, and Ming is a very large Sumo wrestler that could squish you dead.  Don't get squished! 8)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:23 »
a lot of you are forgetting to mention that the carriers have two, usually, well stocked stores of everything you need (minus actual uniforms).

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:30 »
a lot of you are forgetting to mention that the carriers have two, usually, well stocked stores of everything you need (minus actual uniforms).

Both of the stores on the TR where stocked with more junk food than useful items. Hell one of them was only junk food.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:33 »
Both of the stores on the TR where stocked with more junk food than useful items. Hell one of them was only junk food.

lol our SK's grace us with locks, uniform items, laundary items, food (real and junk), and toilettries, among other things :D.

I am somewhat impressed with how we are stocked up routinely, but then again, I havent gone 8 months straight out to sea either, so Im sure my views will change again lol.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:57 »
Are these malls next to McDonalds and the bowling alley?  ::) :P

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:36 »
Are these malls next to McDonalds and the bowling alley?  ::) :P

Justin

lol next to the bowling alley :D LITERALLY...     haha, im being honest about our stores though, may not be the case for all of them obviously.

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2008, 03:19 »
Well, as an update, all the items I mentioned seem to be working out.  I'm glad I have a week's worth of civvies, since I've been out in town quite a bit.  I still haven't found the bowling alley on the ship yet.   ;)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2008, 03:56 »
Well, as an update, all the items I mentioned seem to be working out.  I'm glad I have a week's worth of civvies, since I've been out in town quite a bit.  I still haven't found the bowling alley on the ship yet.   ;)

The good bowling is in shaft alley, since it is long and room for the pins...

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:56 »
lol our SK's grace us with locks, uniform items, laundary items, food (real and junk), and toilettries, among other things :D.

I am somewhat impressed with how we are stocked up routinely, but then again, I havent gone 8 months straight out to sea either, so Im sure my views will change again lol.

Yea our ships store had a wide variety of items.  One of those food items was ramen noodles.  I will NEVER get over the visual images of guys eating those things still in brick form while sprinkling the powder seasoning on before each bite.

Pirate bob, in order to get into the bowling alley you first have to get an India Delta 10 Tango form from a locker located behind the shaft seals, at least that is where we kept it on my old ship.  Now in order to get to that locker you are going to have to distract those seals.  I highly recommend fish.  The M-Div guys have a bucket full of fish from the mess decks for just that purpose.  Just ask them for the fish to feed the shaft seals.  Now after you fill out that form, take it to the Electricians to review. They will point you in the right direction.  Now the door to the bowling alley usually is hard to open so you may have to use some grease on it.  I think the PM card calls for relative bearing grease, which means you may have to go to the HAZMAT hold to get some.  Once you get the door greased, you should be good to go.  Just remember to account for the list and trim of the ship when throwing the ball.  People who throw more than 2 gutter balls have to stand mail buoy watch for an entire week on the port side RHIB sponson.  It really stinks becuase you have to be in full survival gear incase you get pulled into the drink. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:04 »
 :P :P :P
Har har.  Even an ET knows that relative bearing grease doesn't have a high enough viscosity to work on doors.

Yea our ships store had a wide variety of items.  One of those food items was ramen noodles.  I will NEVER get over the visual images of guys eating those things still in brick form while sprinkling the powder seasoning on before each bite.

Pirate bob, in order to get into the bowling alley you first have to get an India Delta 10 Tango form from a locker located behind the shaft seals, at least that is where we kept it on my old ship.  Now in order to get to that locker you are going to have to distract those seals.  I highly recommend fish.  The M-Div guys have a bucket full of fish from the mess decks for just that purpose.  Just ask them for the fish to feed the shaft seals.  Now after you fill out that form, take it to the Electricians to review. They will point you in the right direction.  Now the door to the bowling alley usually is hard to open so you may have to use some grease on it.  I think the PM card calls for relative bearing grease, which means you may have to go to the HAZMAT hold to get some.  Once you get the door greased, you should be good to go.  Just remember to account for the list and trim of the ship when throwing the ball.  People who throw more than 2 gutter balls have to stand mail buoy watch for an entire week on the port side RHIB sponson.  It really stinks becuase you have to be in full survival gear incase you get pulled into the drink. 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:18 »
It would be cool if you guys were like this towards the male members of the site.... '

bob- > get studying nub, you have big shoes to fill.

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:45 »
As soon as I get back to the ship I promise to get cracking.  I'm trying to get qualified before May (BNEQ and log recorder).  Right now I'm on leave, so since I would never ever dream of taking confidential material off the ship, I'm taking my leave very seriously.   8)

It would be cool if you guys were like this towards the male members of the site.... '

bob- > get studying nub, you have big shoes to fill.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:24 »
As soon as I get back to the ship I promise to get cracking.  I'm trying to get qualified before May (BNEQ and log recorder).  Right now I'm on leave, so since I would never ever dream of taking confidential material off the ship, I'm taking my leave very seriously.   8)

Since when do they let nubs take leave?

Geez, taking "kinder gentler" a little far eh?

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2008, 12:24 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:52 »
Since when do they let nubs take leave?

Geez, taking "kinder gentler" a little far eh?

Justin

your "stress card" is turning orange.....

ET3Callhooon

« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2008, 12:11 »
#1 most important thing to have is a positive attitude.  Start off on a good foot, don't piss off senior qualified guys they can make your qual process and life hell if you do.  Get use to standing in lines and dealing with mouthbreathing topsiders.  Bring 2 sets of Utiligays max, the new NWU is coming soon anyway but don't hold your breath.  6 sets of coveralls will do, dedicate 1 soley for painting cause you'll be doing that.  Pick up some SHOWER SHOES, alarm clock(s).  Short sleeves are not authorized to wear on carriers.  Are you going to the Nimitz or Carl V?

Offline nadinno

• Light User
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:08 »
If your still on leave then go watch this. 
http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

As far as uniform stuff-  Poopy suits are a godsend.  Bring or get as many as you can reasonable fit.  Seabag inspections usually only happens when you get in trouble and are headed for mast.  Even if you don't think you will ever get in trouble make sure you have everything on that list.  If you do get the inspection and don't have everything it is one more thing that they will use against you and will cause you that much more stress as you go around the boat trying to beg borrow and steal for your missing seabag items. 

Another tip:  Roll your poopy suits up when you store them in your locker. They will fit better.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2008, 06:22 by nadinno »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?