Facility & Company Information > Bartlett

Bartlett Techs @ Oyster Creek

(1/14) > >>

Melrose:
Had to come and make this post, probably should wait til I've cooled off a bit.  Here goes anyway.

Just left access, the MAC, tried helping a tech there, I didn't know him, he didn't know me.  He obviously was struggling with the release of a contaminated shoe, using the tape, the pancake probe, the whole bit.  He just wasn't cognizant enough to realize the pancake doesn't fit into the tread of the shoe.  I won't go into too much detail... save getting spun up all over again.
I really musta touched a nerve, cuz I got the whole laid back, cynical, fuqd up attitude that most of the "RPTs" (non-commercial nuke types) heroes have here at Oyster.  Rather than a simple thanks, and just go about doing what he thought was right and THE ONLY way to do it, I get the whole story about, "yeah I been dun doin' dis 'bout 23 year now, I guess I got a vague idee 'bout what I'm doin", ..... what a d%$head,
I asked him why he hadn't learned anything in 23 years, or if after 23 years he hadn't realized that he hadn't learned anything, that's why he's still stuck being a friskall cop.  (Did I mention... the shoe is still in the RCA?)

People like him and others here..... they're exactly why there are times that I don't miss the job.

Haven't missed an OCC meeting yet, to this date there hasn't been a day pass that a complaint hasnt' arose about the B staff.  Really hate hearing it, but truth be told, the ball has been dropped.  Slow movers, bad attitudes, and techs that lack experience ('experience', not 'time') make for a nasty black eye on the blue machine.

roadhp:

--- Quote from: Melrose on Nov 01, 2008, 02:19 ---
Haven't missed an OCC meeting yet, to this date there hasn't been a day pass that a complaint hasnt' arose about the B staff.  Really hate hearing it, but truth be told, the ball has been dropped.  Slow movers, bad attitudes, and techs that lack experience ('experience', not 'time') make for a nasty black eye on the blue machine.

--- End quote ---

Note the OCC in this quote.  Obviously this is a tie that doesn't know what is going on here.  The techs are having to spend 10 to 12 hours in the RCA covering his work that he can't schedule right because otherwise there would be enough techs in the plant to at least get the Federally mandated amount of breaks, but have to spend most of that break travelling to a break trailer that is at the extreme end of the plant just to have a supervisor tell them that they are needed in the plant and their break or lunch will have to wait, and then have supervisors (one in particular) try to switch around techs without consulting the lead techs about what work is going on, but yelling at them for having techs standing around IN THEIR WORK AREA waiting on jobs that have been scheduled, briefed, and are just waiting for the craft to come back from their union mandated break, but can't go on break themselves because there are a dozen or more work groups that might need help in that space of time.
It is also obvious that this person has never been a tech covering real work, because he would have a little more understanding about what a tech with tape and a frisker can do to get a shoe out, and that the tech is taking his time that he could be on break to try and get a worker's shoe out so they don't have to go home in flipflops and can get back to work.  Yes, the shoe is still in the RCA not because the tech is inexperienced, but that the shoe just isn't coming out without major surgery to cut the tread off, in which case the shoe is trash anyway.  I challenge this tie to try and do the work of a tech under the conditions that we are facing.  I'll switch my jumps in the drywell any day for his coffee and doughnuts in the OCC.  I probably push more paper than he does anyway, so it will be a nice break, and I won't even have to deal with a tenth of the work crews that I have to deal with now.

roadhp:
Oh, did I mention that the techs were asked to work their 7th day, and the vast majority of them turned it down...when have you heard of even 50% of techs turning down an extra day of work in a 19 day outage. 

Melrose:
Roady.... thanks for substantiating everything that I've stated.....  whether the shoe is in or out is irrelevant.  You've missed the point, it's the crappy attitude of the techs on site, not just this one but several on the list that span across the site from the access point to the DW, to the TBOF.  I don't think I can be any clearer than that.  Gotta go put my feet up, sip my coffee, nibble my donuts and piss some other gullible sap off.
KUDOS for being as quick to fall apart as the MAC bozo.
 ;)

Edited for language.

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: Melrose on Nov 01, 2008, 02:19 ---Had to come and make this post, probably should wait til I've cooled off a bit.  Here goes anyway.

Just left access, the MAC, tried helping a tech there, I didn't know him, he didn't know me.  He obviously was struggling with the release of a contaminated shoe, using the tape, the pancake probe, the whole bit.  He just wasn't cognizant enough to realize the pancake doesn't fit into the tread of the shoe.  I won't go into too much detail... save getting spun up all over again.
I really musta touched a nerve, cuz I got the whole laid back, cynical, fuqd up attitude that most of the "RPTs" (non-commercial nuke types) heroes have here at Oyster.  Rather than a simple thanks, and just go about doing what he thought was right and THE ONLY way to do it, I get the whole story about, "yeah I been dun doin' dis 'bout 23 year now, I guess I got a vague idee 'bout what I'm doin", ..... what a d%$head,
I asked him why he hadn't learned anything in 23 years, or if after 23 years he hadn't realized that he hadn't learned anything, that's why he's still stuck being a friskall cop.  (Did I mention... the shoe is still in the RCA?)

People like him and others here..... they're exactly why there are times that I don't miss the job.

--- End quote ---

Where I work, the RP tech surveys the shoe, determines the level of contamination, and may make an attempt to decon it. Generally, we don't. Company has a replacement policy, get new shoes. I realize there are a dozen ways to survey / decon shoes, and other things, but most plants nowadays don't staff up to give techs the time to decon and release minor material like that. And if someone wanted to give me direction / attitude about how it was being done - they would get an opportunity to do it themselves. I work hard to get the people out, not worried about material...
Many of the techs here aren't working the 7th day either...had some laborers choose a layoff rather than stay to be LHRA guards. Too much to do, with fewer folks each time.
If you want to complain about techs work ethics, how about observing how they are treated - no breaks (tag teamed by work crews), short staffed, lack of competent and clear direction, and everyone is a higher priority than you. Go back to the OCC, and stay there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version