Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bartlett Techs @ Oyster Creek honeypot

Author Topic: Bartlett Techs @ Oyster Creek  (Read 53051 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Bartlett Techs @ Oyster Creek
« Reply #50 on: Nov 13, 2008, 06:10 »
Actually back in the day we played a heck of a lot more Hearts than anything else.  Sorry Mike.

That totally depends on what part of the country you are in.  I assume you mean OC.  If not... here in the midwest its non-stop Euchre.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2008, 06:29 »
And the proper way to handle deconning the boot.....throw it in the RAD trash...let the site buy him some new ones.

Depends on the site.  But what is the guy supposed to do for boots until then?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #52 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:12 »
The same thing he does if his boots cant be deconned....goes without boots...Thanks to Davis Messy doing a great job of letting RAD material leave its beautiful site, most plants will not approve any release of material once it is deemed to be radioactive or has even been in RCA for that matter....for any reason.  Pretty soon, if INPO keeps doing what ever it wants, all material/ tools needing to be free released will have to be OK'd by the plant manager.  After just witnessing 2 weeks of INPO, I must say that one of these plants needs to get some balls and say....GET THE HELL OUT...but thats another story
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:58 »
Why not just spray some yellow paint on the toe and let the guy wear it in the RCA?
Saves rad waste cost - at least postpones it.  and the guy has a boot to wear to work for the rest of the day.
Still, not a bad idea to pay him for the boots too.  Only, you won't have to pay him for a second pair this way.
Lots of plants have shelves for RCA-only shoes.

Gotta say I totally agree about INPO.  But Barry Bonds?  Dude can't take a steroid pill because he'd choke on it.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008, 08:09 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:47 »
Although the yellow paint sounds like a good idea, I cant think of one place where they would let that fly.  These plants are so worried about contamination, that a lot of them are forgetting about whats truly important....DOSE...I blame IMPO for this....and please don't pick on the greatest baseball player ever...it hurts my feelings.  And while I'm here...let me give my opinion on Oyster Creek...Its a *&$%hole, most ugliest plant I have been to (seen 20 others) damn concrete block with a stack, no grass, no paint and no respect for contractors....so my suggestion is to stop going if you don't like it, I myself cannot believe people still attend their outages.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #55 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:35 »
Although the yellow paint sounds like a good idea, I cant think of one place where they would let that fly.  These plants are so worried about contamination, that a lot of them are forgetting about whats truly important....DOSE...I blame IMPO for this....and please don't pick on the greatest baseball player ever...it hurts my feelings.  And while I'm here...let me give my opinion on Oyster Creek...Its a *&$%hole, most ugliest plant I have been to (seen 20 others) damn concrete block with a stack, no grass, no paint and no respect for contractors....so my suggestion is to stop going if you don't like it, I myself cannot believe people still attend their outages.

...rp management was outstanding, utility rp technician staff was extraordinarily knowledgeable, contamination control was conspicuously effective, ops and i&c personnel were brilliant, the reactor was a pleasure to work on...
   ...thankyou oyster creek...

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008, 05:37 by wlrun3 »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:15 »
That totally depends on what part of the country you are in.  I assume you mean OC.  If not... here in the midwest its non-stop Euchre.

Nope, IP2 back from 80 to 85 or so.  Spent much of my youth inside the crane wall on the 46'.  I seem to remember 4 in and 4 out, but the 4 out was making jump packs etc or going to pick up lunches at Feronis.
LM

stownsend

« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:27 »
Why not just spray some yellow paint on the toe and let the guy wear it in the RCA?
Saves rad waste cost - at least postpones it.  and the guy has a boot to wear to work for the rest of the day.
Still, not a bad idea to pay him for the boots too.  Only, you won't have to pay him for a second pair this way.
Lots of plants have shelves for RCA-only shoes.

Gotta say I totally agree about INPO. 
I've seen RCA shoes work if they have facilities inside the RCA to store your personnel clothes and the facility buys off on the cleanliness of it.The first time someone is seen walking around without shoes to the locker room or God forbid he stubs his toe and you have a work related injury.Then you have to ask him to go through the pcm twice because he was walking around in the rca without shoes on.The paperwork for a DART case is endless.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008, 08:30 by stownsend »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #58 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:29 »
wlrun2,

What Year and Refueling were you there?

RG

...my name is Bill Runge...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #59 on: Nov 14, 2008, 10:00 »

It was an old $h!t hole the last time I worked there too .... 1989.  I don't imagine it got any newer or better in the last 20 years.

Several plants have a boot change area where you can swap shoes inside the RCA.  If you are an outage contractor, they appreciate it if you trash them at the end of the outage.  House guys sometimes even get a locker in there.

Best player who ever lived?  How about 0 for the playoffs for two years in a row?  Seriously.  You'll never convince a Pittsburgher that he is a great player.  He is a really good player, but great players are great when the pressure is on.

Laundry, if you were  at IP2 ICW on 46' you were sucking a lot of rubber, man.  I remember the first time I went in there.  Boric Acid stalagmites all over the floor.  Puddles, steam leaks, operators jumping down off the piping.  Pete's Pit!!!    UGH! It was the first time I ever was in a commercial reactor containment.  Every job has been easy since then.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Nov 14, 2008, 10:38 »
Beautiful place the 46'.  I was there when lower containment flooded after fan cooler loss, Westinghouses first shot at nozzle dams, generator man-way machining, TMI mods.  Saw many a fresh squid show up and get 300 mr their first dive.  A little shocked they were having never gotten that much the whole time in the Navy.  Some great people there though, Frank V. and Ropper come to mind.  Working with PGM was a treat.  True story, someone was giving me crap and I had enough and told him so, one of my PGM buddies from the Bronx asks me if I want the guy taken care of, as in permanently taken care of.  Had to decline that one.  Lot of fun one the Unit 1 roof.
LM

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #61 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:17 »

Several plants have a boot change area where you can swap shoes inside the RCA.  If you are an outage contractor, they appreciate it if you trash them at the end of the outage.  House guys sometimes even get a locker in there.

watts da max contamination level allowed on does  hot shoes for r.c.a. work?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

stownsend

« Reply #62 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:16 »

Do they require the workers to smear the RCA shoes before changing or are they storing potentially contaminated shoes in the change area? How often do the floors get surveyed? How do they get around allowing people to walk around on potentially contaminated floors then put clean shoes over their potentially contaminated socks and shield the contamination from the PCM? Seams they released people without a full external survey.Then again when you allow people to do a whole body frisk with a pancake probe ludlum 44-9 they only do about 25% anyway.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:32 »
Frank V. was my tour guide.  I was a wide-eyed squid, but I just figured that the seal table was supposed to spray like a mall fountain when they flooded the cavity.

The max contam is usually around 500ccpm.  It must be fixed - anything duct tape won't remove is fixed.

They don't walk around in their socks.  They get the boots along with any PC's they need, change the boots and don the PC's, then put their outside boots in the locker.  When they come back out of the CA, they change the boots back and put the RCA boots on the shelf.  RP smears the floors and shelves periodically and spot checks boots.  Workers are always required to frisk shoes ASAP after crossing SOP's, so they are looking for any increase in count levels.  (A quick reality check here: NOBODY EVER does this frisk anyway - which is why people show up at access with crapped-up boots in the first place.) If the boots are gone from the shelf, it means RP tossed them out.

You ought to see Boot Decon at Nine Mile.  It has numbered cubbies, replacement sneakers for guys who just lost their boots, decon stuff, and a frisker (I'm not sure about the frisker).  But they don't decon boots at access.  They send you to boot decon, where you try to get your own boots clean.  If it is too fixed to come out, you leave the boots in a cubby, take some sneakers to wear outside, and return the sneakers the next day.  If the level was too high after you abandoned decon efforts, you just trash the old boots.

Not everybody changes into their RCA boots every time.  Some guys only do it if they are doing a wet job or are going into the drywell.

You think that's complicated?  You'd love Canada.  Every worker has to have a separate pair (the issued ones are yellow, but you can buy a pair and paint them yellow) for the RCA.  Of course there is the changing underwear and showering thing to deal with too.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:55 »
So kinda like our RCA glove use, but boots....sounds good I guess...along as there is some kinda daily surveys being performed on the boots before they put them away for the day...pirates fan huh...nice stadium PNC park...top 3 ive been to..while since Im a giants fan...look up Bonds 2002 plyoff stats....best ever

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #65 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:09 »
Then I guess Ted Williams wasnt a great player either, if you look at his playoff avg. and many consider him the "greastest" hitter of all time.  Of course if he had radioactive shoes he would of done a lot better.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #66 on: Nov 15, 2008, 11:10 »

They don't walk around in their socks.  They get the boots along with any PC's they need, change the boots and don the PC's, then put their outside boots in the locker.  When they come back out of the CA, they change the boots back and put the RCA boots on the shelf.  RP smears the floors and shelves periodically and spot checks boots.  Workers are always required to frisk shoes ASAP after crossing SOP's, so they are looking for any increase in count levels.  (A quick reality check here: NOBODY EVER does this frisk anyway - which is why people show up at access with crapped-up boots in the first place.) If the boots are gone from the shelf, it means RP tossed them out.

sew.... yinz got peepul going thru yer p.c.m. with clean shielding on there feat?  street shoes on bee four ya dew da p.c.m.?  betcha dat helps keep yer personnel contamination reports to a minimum. ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Nov 15, 2008, 12:55 »
That is the whole point, isn't it?  It's all a numbers game.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Nov 15, 2008, 05:44 »
So kinda like our RCA glove use, but boots....sounds good I guess...along as there is some kinda daily surveys being performed on the boots before they put them away for the day...pirates fan huh...nice stadium PNC park...top 3 ive been to..while since Im a giants fan...look up Bonds 2002 plyoff stats....best ever

Sports talk goes in the Gold Member area.  Please keep it to a minimum in the open forum.

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Nov 17, 2008, 03:29 »
aahhhh.....nothing like the sight of OC  and the stack firmly planted in the rear view mirror.....like this matter needs another posting, but here goes anyway....

"it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" just another typical outage for OC.....many people lamented (more house than contractor) that they thought management would of thrown  money/people at this project to make it a better outage,  considering the license renewal process is still ongoing.....but that was not the case.....no time allotted for  preoutage preps, no time for prefabbing parts/equipment in the maintenance shop(makes for a chaotic first week).......an interesting sidebar is that people complained of rp management shaving days off of the outage report dates, but, then people could not get out of there fast enough.....just another typical outage for OC..

One interesting observation tho...is that I believe the "heat" is being applied to maintenance supv. arse's, because this is the first outage (out of too many) I have been at, where I have had full contact arguments with maint.  (over hp related matters) in front of NOS (while the NOS guy is scratching his arse)....  that and the fact that in the checkout process(leaving site) there is no mention of how to contact the ECP people.......   So, it is readily apparent that this site never really embraced a concept of SCWE.    (safety conscience work environment)     

and as far as  the whining OCC people, lets break out our form 4's and see who has a better leg to stand on....

it was a "typical" outage for OC, I have been to worse, but certainly have been to better...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?