Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trinity Test site M4 Sherman tanks honeypot

Author Topic: Trinity Test site M4 Sherman tanks  (Read 5447 times)

Bongopete

Trinity Test site M4 Sherman tanks
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 12:30 »
Maybe this has already been answered, but does anyone know what the final disposition of the two Sherman tanks that were used at the Trinity site was?  They were lead lined, drove around on ground zero shortly after the shot collecting samples.  I am assuming they were eventually trucked off to a burial site rather than being buried there.
I don't know how contaminated they were so I don't if they were cut up to ease movement.
I cannot find anything about these two vehicles other than they were there and they were used.  I would think that they sat at the site for at least a few years before finally being disposed of somehow.

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
Re: Trinity Test site M4 Sherman tanks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:58 »
All I found was an archived article from Sep 1945 stating that they were still at the base camp eight weeks later.  All the material mentioned (labware, trinitite, a contaminated truck) was bulldozed into a trench and buried.  I think it was trench B at T-21 or something similar.  The trench was big enough from the aerial photos, but I haven't found any references to disposal.  I found a site with lots of photos of them (labeled British something) and a debate over whether the number two tank was silver or not.  Lots of related info, but nothing about where they got rid of them.  Did you ever call the number suggested on that website?  I'm sure there's somebody at LANL with a clue to their fate.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?