Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Return to active duty... (bet this has never come up before) honeypot

Author Topic: Return to active duty... (bet this has never come up before)  (Read 22910 times)

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I am a 15 year MMC (SW) that separated last June.

So, I've been out for a year and a half...  and the grass isn't that much greener.

I worked for the first year out as a crane tech at a steel mill (making lots of money), but the job was not the greatest.  So after a year, I followed my passion and took a job as a flight instructor at a private college in NH.  Even though I love the job, the money is less than a 2 year E-2...  needless to say, bills are getting tighter than I would like them to be...

So I've been thinking of returning to active duty and resuming the life of a Navy Nuke. 

Anyone have insight on the process.  I know not many people do it (especially 15 year separatees).  I left after my instructor tour at Power School.

Thanks!
It's not Rocket Science...  it's Nuclear Power!

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
Cheif,
Are you pretty well stuck in a specific area of the country? There are jobs out there at power plants regardless of the economy.
You might have to suck it up and take a crap job, but it sounds like you are already not in the best position currently.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
Chief,

I've got bad news for you.....

It probably ain't happening.

If you had tried to come back within your first 6 months maybe...but 18 months seems unlikely.

Sorry,
GC

Maybe its a chief issue, but I know a guy that spent nearly two years out and is back in as an MM2 (same rate he left at).

My advice, talk to a recruiter. They may be able to help you provided you are still within standards to serve.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2008, 08:27 by Gamecock »

JustinHEMI05

I am a 15 year MMC (SW) that separated last June.

So, I've been out for a year and a half...  and the grass isn't that much greener.

I worked for the first year out as a crane tech at a steel mill (making lots of money), but the job was not the greatest.  So after a year, I followed my passion and took a job as a flight instructor at a private college in NH.  Even though I love the job, the money is less than a 2 year E-2...  needless to say, bills are getting tighter than I would like them to be...

So I've been thinking of returning to active duty and resuming the life of a Navy Nuke. 

Anyone have insight on the process.  I know not many people do it (especially 15 year separatees).  I left after my instructor tour at Power School.

Thanks!

Does not computer. Is there a reason why you haven't taken all of that training and experience and applied it in the nuke field? You could easily walk into any job opening. Unless of course, there is something you aren't telling us.

Justin

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
Well, I got out at 15 because I had 2 small boys and a third on the way, and I didn't want to miss the next 5 years of their life.  So I figured it was time to get out.  Purely a family decision.  Career wise, I would've gone back to a carrier and taken an LCPO billet, probably qualified PPWO and all. 

I really wanted an instructor position at a civilian plant, but nothing ever came up.  I was offered an AO position at a plant in SC, but I choose the Crane position after I got out because it paid a bit more ($20k) than the AO position I was offered and I didn't have to move. 

But that position turned out to be the opposite of what I wanted. 

So from there I looked at what would be a career I really enjoyed, and since I had been a flight instructor for the last 8 years on the side, I choose to try to fly full time.  We would have been fine with the paycut because my wife had a good job lined up, but my wife's job turned out to be a bust and now we're trying to survive on my miniscule salary.

So we started thinking maybe I could get back in the Navy, finish up, then come back and fly.  The added retirement salary would make up for the pay difference...

So that's the story... 

Thanks for all the input so far!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Not sure the specifics of the program, but you might want to look into an an army program called Blue to Green if your simply looking to return to active duty. 

http://www.goarmy.com/btg/index.jsp

Probably not the optimal solution, but it might enable you to do another five years and retire if your eligible.

Blue To Green would be my vote.

JustinHEMI05

If going back on active duty is what your heart is set on, then good luck to ya. But, if it doesn't work out, I highly recommend finding the next AO class somewhere. In short order (about 2 years) you will be clearing 100K. FACT, not myth.

Justin

bluegill81

I just got off recruiting duty a couple weeks ago, no joke.  Here is how it worked 2 weeks ago and I assume nothing has changed.  You will be what is called an ECM Waiver that means an enlisted community manager has to review your rate, nec's, etc.  Then they will make the call if the navy needs you or not.  They might tell you you can come back in as an MMC or they might say you can come in as an MM1, or they might tell you to take a hike.  Honestly, if you have not disqualifed yourself for any reason such as BF%, legal, medical or whatever you will probably be able to go back in as an MMC.  If nothing else, join the reserves then volunteer for active duty, as you you know they are always looking for Individual Augmentees.  If you talk to a recruiter, he will tell you exactly what I told you.  To get any solid answers you will have to go back to MEPS, pass a phys and then submit a waiver.  Waiver will take between 2 weeks and 3 months.  Then another month or so before you are back on active.  Thats my 2 cents.

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
Thats my 2 cents.

Much appreciated!

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
I'm in the process of a couple different options right now.  I'm looking into Seabrook, NH, VT Yankee, any other Nuke Plant, and the Navy Return.

I've talked to a recruiter and the process is pretty much like bluegill said.

Put together a return package including last 3 evals, DD-214, new security questionnaire, a new enlistment request, and 3 handwritten statements (one for why I got out, what I've been doing since, and why I want to get back in).

That all goes off to the ECM and they decide whether the navy needs you back.  They'll decide whether they need me as an MMC (or an MM1, which I'll kindly decline) Then go back to meps and get the physical and re-enlist.

I'm in the process of writing the statements...  tough to put it into words...
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008, 09:20 by DGNukeChief »

JustinHEMI05

Thanks for keeping us updated! I just have a question out of curiosity. Would there be a re-enlistment bonus involved? Or because you got out, that is negated?

Justin

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
I'm not too sure.

I have looked at the NAVADIM for SRB.  I read that there is a way to calculate for a break in service in there.  It'd be a nice touch if I could get it.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
Sent you PM.(DGNC)
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008, 11:39 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

dwthrall

Chief,
You can get back in the Navy as a Nuke but it will be a very long and difficult thing to do. You will need a copy of your evals, DD-214, and your job information about what you have been doing since you got out. If you have continued your education after you got out, obtain a copy of your latest transcripts. Once you have all those things, go to your nearest recruiting station (www.navy.mil and enter in your zip code for find a recruiter) and talk to the RINC (recruiter in charge). After telling them your story they will contact the Nuclear Field Coordinator for you and relay the info. There will be several hand written statements you have to do as well as a LOOONG wait (up to 1 year) to get back in. Keep in mind you will be a waiver to get back in the Nuke program so working with your case will be very difficult to do, if possible. BTW - I am a NF Coord in the US, hope this helps.
-MM1

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
I've got the paperwork in...  Just in case.

But I am looking elsewhere.  I've had a lot of interest in my resume and have had my phone ringing non stop all day and a good stream of emails for various things.  So I think I'll be staying civilian and taking my shot at other aspects of Nuclear power besides the navy. 

Thanks to all that have replied and messaged!  I appreciate all the advice and networking!

-DG

AskewDivergent

I wouldn't put much hope in getting back in as a nuke if I were you. NR has to sign off on it, and seeing that you were an instructor at NPS, you've been out of an actual plant for at least 4.5 years. The guys that run the program now probably wouldn't go for that. Although 'tis better to try than not, if that's what you truly desire.

I would recommend looking in other regions for civ jobs, too. There's a few plants here in the Twin Cities that are starving for ex-nukes, and offering handsome pay.

Granted, it's about -1 deg F outside right now, but that just builds character.

PapaBear765

I wouldn't put much hope in getting back in as a nuke if I were you. NR has to sign off on it, and seeing that you were an instructor at NPS, you've been out of an actual plant for at least 4.5 years. The guys that run the program now probably wouldn't go for that. Although 'tis better to try than not, if that's what you truly desire.

I would recommend looking in other regions for civ jobs, too. There's a few plants here in the Twin Cities that are starving for ex-nukes, and offering handsome pay.

Granted, it's about -1 deg F outside right now, but that just builds character.

I've always heard the opposite.  Once a nuke, always a nuke.  Even for broken service.

AskewDivergent

I've always heard the opposite.  Once a nuke, always a nuke.  Even for broken service.

It's really a case-by-case basis. I asked them once what their criteria was for approval, since we had an ex-nuke trying to get back in for the same deal. They look at everything from evals, quals, class rank, time since you've stood watch in a plant and make a determination from there.

Like I said, it's worth a shot if those items reflect good upon you and your service record. But keep your eggs in other baskets as well.

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
I'm expecting to stay a Civilian.  I've got a really good feeling about a job that I interviewed for last week.  I should know today or really soon for sure.

JustinHEMI05

I am excited for you! Keep us posted! Can I ask? What kind of job?

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Question:

Should this thread be under the "Staying In" or the "Getting In" portion of the Navy Nuke forum?
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Good question.

Answer:
It depends.  (It depends on his final choice.)

Then wouldn't it be "Getting in" vs "Staying out"
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
Chief,
You chose to get out at 15 and for you that was the right decision. I chose to stay in 4 years after my 20 and for me I found out that was the wrong decision (4 years too long). I had companies and recruiters knocking down my door and tearing up my phone the minute I posted my resume online. I actually interviewed with a company the day after posting on Monster and was given a generous offer. In another two weeks I was flown down to a plant (in the southeast) and interviewed and once again was presented an immediate offer that was fantastic. I accepted that and will be starting very soon. Bottom line is put your resume out there and get your feet wet there are jobs everywhere for ex Navy nukes. Heck my feet were not even damp and I am sitting great. Also remember there are a lot of non-nuclear companies out there that want your talent also and pay extremely well. I have done a lot of research and if you want some insight on what I have found in the recent environment feel free to shoot me an email.
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline DGNukeChief

• Light User
Well,

I guess we need to make a "Staying Out" section...

I took a position with USEC in Piketon, OH as an Operations Shift Supervisor. 

Should be interesting and well paying! 

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

JustinHEMI05

Congratulations!!! THanks for keeping us updated.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?