Facility & Company Information > Big Rock

Big Rock Point

<< < (2/5) > >>

BuddyThePug:
how much D&D work is still left on The Rock, anyhow?

DecommMan:
Just got back from a meeting of the ANS - BRP has about 2 years or so to go - activated concrete removal is underway now  - ventilation stack and turbine bldg demo is due this year yet.  Everything current cost estimate is $430M.

Upcoming D&D Conference for anyone who might like to do some professional networking and increase state of D&D knowledge base -

ANS Decommissioning Topical Meeting - Denver Colorado - August 2005.

Jill:
Does anyone have any info they can provide about "The Rock"?  Specifically lodging, local flavor, site conditions, "house" personnel attitudes, just anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Thanks!

pitbull03:

I can tell you about the 'Rock', have been here for about 8 months. The area is beautiful, full of trees, country, wildlife,etc. Great if you like that sort of thing...the town where the plant is, is a small place, not many folks - tourist thing going on but they are leaving now,big fishing town. Surrounding areas are the same, small quaint places... everyone knows everyone. The closest 'happening' place is Traverse City which is about an hours ride away - has the clubs, etc. Plenty of local pubs around if your into that. As far as 'house folks' there aren't any. Bartlett & Duratek hold the HP/RP contracts so it is one or the other, some work for BMR some for operations... BMR does the surveys, remeidation work, etc. Operations does most work in the sphere or sitting at control point - you will find some from the ops. side who think they are better then everyone else, better then BMR for sure! So guess you could consider them 'house' if you'd like. We are all from the same companies, hired to do the same things, just assigned to different groups. But one tends to believe that those few would feel like they were better then everyone else no matter where they were or what position they were working in. As for management,most are pretty kool, easy to get along with as long as you do your job. The site reps. from both Bartlett & Duratek as straight, both easy to get along with and both seem to do what is needed to help you... I've seen them be fair with what ever comes along. Housing is allright.... now that tourist season is over. Many places for rent, longterm, pricing is fair. You'd do pretty good finding a place furnished if you travel light. Alot of hotels around but even during non-season are pretty pricie. But check them out before you rent, alot only rent during winter months then go way up during season, so you'd have to move again then. Ask if they will have you do that or raise rent, etc. The winters are HARD here, average snowfall is around 14' [yup-14 FEET] per season and the temps. are down around the zeros.... so hope you have plenty of warm clothing, lots of long underware, etc.  The buildings here have no heat or roofs, use space heaters etc.to stay warm during winter.... if your not from the cold area my best advise is to get some coveralls to wear. Anyhow,  hope I've answered your questions..... oh - there is the normal bullcrud too..... some back stabbers.... some at all places. Let me know if you have anymore questions to ask. Are you coming here? When? With who? What position?  Just asking ..... wondering if youll be in our group or not.

RAD-GHOST:
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr!   :-X

Your Crazy Girl!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version