Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting the right rate for me honeypot

Author Topic: Getting the right rate for me  (Read 24636 times)

Eatonicolas

Getting the right rate for me
« on: Nov 12, 2008, 11:35 »
Hello, I am new to this forum, but have read for awhile and has answered most of my questions. I recently enlisted and got a 94 on my ASVAB and, from what I read on here mostly everyone has had to take the NAPT test prior to getting the job as a nuke, and my NF coordinator informed me by acing the right parts of my ASVAB I didn't have to take the NAPT and got put in as a Nuke anyways. Now I hear that becoming whichever rate you are going to be is somewhat random and its because they have to fill the "Navy's Needs". Is there any chance that just by being doing my best and excelling above most of my peers that I will get the rate I prefer, Which in my case is ET, or can anyone be put as whatever rate regardless of how their line scores are.

Another comment I wanted to put out there is that I've been reading about the enlistment bonuses and how they have gone up, and they say depending on which month you are going to boot camp you can get from 18,000-20,000 from Feb-May, well my ship out date is supposed to be Aug. 11, 2009.( although my recruiter said it will be earlier since people drop out) But my EB was 21,000. So maybe it's gone up again, IDK.

Thanks in advance for comments, and answers.

Hope to be posting much more often. Eatonicolas
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008, 10:22 by Eatonicolas »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Getting the right rate for me
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2008, 02:41 »
You will get rated in Boot Camp and I don't think you have any say in how you get selected. Before I shipped, I took a guaranteed MM rating. Not sure if they still have that option. Figure most nukes have similar ASVAB scores (High AFQTs), so in a perfect world, you would think they would analyze your line scores and try and differentiate MMs, EMs, and ETs based on the peaks and valleys in your comparable aptitudes, but I could be wrong. If there is a huge shortage of EMs right now, you'd probably be rated as such, etc.

I don't think there is any "excelling" beyond your peers opportunities in Boot that would have any influence on your rate selection. I could be wrong, but your Boot instructors don't participate in the rate process. One day you all go away for a few hours to a little office with a couple of nuke chiefs, get interviewed, and some time later find out what you got.

TTBOMK.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:03 »
Hello, I am new to this forum, but have read for awhile and has answered most of my questions. I recently enlisted and got a 94 on my ASVAB and, from what I read on here mostly everyone has had to take the NAPT test prior to getting the job as a nuke, and my NF coordinator informed me by acing the right parts of my ASVAB I didn't have to take the NAPT and got put in as a Nuke anyways. Now I hear that becoming whichever rate you are going to be is somewhat random and its because they have to fill the "Navy's Needs". Is there any chance that just by being doing my best and excelling above most of my peers that I will get the rate I prefer, Which in my case is ET, or can the best and brightest still be put as a MM, or EM?

Another comment I wanted to put out there is that I've been reading about the enlistment bonuses and how they have gone up, and they say depending on which month you are going to boot camp you can get from 18,000-20,000 from Feb-May, well my ship out date is supposed to be Aug. 11, 2009.( although my recruiter said it will be earlier since people drop out) But my EB was 21,000. So maybe it's gone up again, IDK.

Well considering you are neither the best nor the brightest you will just be lumped in with everyone else and be placed according to the Navy's needs.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:01 »
Everyone knows the best and brightest go ELT.  You might also want to know that as a nuke your rate really only dictates what divisional maintenance you will perform.  ANY nuke can qualify any watchstation (except certain ELT duties and reactor operator).  If you really want to sit in a box for thousands of hours while you're in, be my guest. ET is the path for you.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:37 »
Everyone knows the best and brightest go ELT.  You might also want to know that as a nuke your rate really only dictates what divisional maintenance you will perform.  ANY nuke can qualify any watchstation (except certain ELT duties and reactor operator).  If you really want to sit in a box for thousands of hours while you're in, be my guest. ET is the path for you.

Another qualification would be if you stood in line somewhere at midnight last night for the new WOW release.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2008, 03:38 »
Hello, I am new to this forum, but have read for awhile and has answered most of my questions. I recently enlisted and got a 94 on my ASVAB and, from what I read on here mostly everyone has had to take the NAPT test prior to getting the job as a nuke, and my NF coordinator informed me by acing the right parts of my ASVAB I didn't have to take the NAPT and got put in as a Nuke anyways. Now I hear that becoming whichever rate you are going to be is somewhat random and its because they have to fill the "Navy's Needs". Is there any chance that just by being doing my best and excelling above most of my peers that I will get the rate I prefer, Which in my case is ET, or can the best and brightest still be put as a MM, or EM?

NUB what makes you think your Casper Non Qual body is even close to the best and the brightest?

Mike

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:30 »

NUB what makes you think your Casper Non Qual body is even close to the best and the brightest?

Mike

I had to give you some positive karma there man.  You were sitting at 666......... :D :D :D

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:38 »
Let's quit bashing this poor kid.   He will learn soon enough that he isn't God's gift to nuclear power.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:48 »
If you really want to sit in a box for thousands of hours while you're in, be my guest. ET is the path for you.

Wouldn't that depend on how high a DLAB score he had for proficiency in Klingon, whilst washing down several bags of Funyuns with a tankard of Mountain Dew? ;)

mlslstephens

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2008, 06:38 »
I had to give you some positive karma there man.  You were sitting at 666......... :D :D :D

You don't know him very well...it wasn't by accident.  :P

Just kidding Mike.  Enjoy your weekend.

Eatonicolas

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:22 »
Just to let everyone know, i wasn't trying to say my IQ is through the roof, or that im even comparably intelligent to any of you, i was saying, " metaphorically speaking" if someone were to just do really well on there entrance exams and whatnot does that influence what rate you will receive in boot camp. OR is it mainly the "needs of the navy" that determines what rate you will get. but in the time after ive posted this ive read other peoples posts and kind of gotten an idea of how they pick it. but thanks for everyones replys anways (well mostly everyone)

Eatonicolas

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:52 »
Just to let everyone know, i wasn't trying to say my IQ is through the roof, or that im even comparably intelligent to any of you, i was saying, " metaphorically speaking" if someone were to just do really well on there entrance exams and whatnot does that influence what rate you will receive in boot camp. OR is it mainly the "needs of the navy" that determines what rate you will get. but in the time after ive posted this ive read other peoples posts and kind of gotten an idea of how they pick it. but thanks for everyones replys anways (well mostly everyone)

Eatonicolas

Use CAPITAL LETTERS when appropriate please. You might think I'm being a richardhead but you are entering a field where attention to detail and doing things correctly are important.

Mike LMAO, thanks my man, I'm El Diablo for a very good reason :)

I'm glad the annual requal exam is over.

Mike
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008, 08:57 by Broadzilla »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:08 »
Use CAPITAL LETTERS when appropriate please. You might think I'm being a richardhead but you are entering a field where attention to detail and doing things correctly are important.

Mike LMAO, thanks my man, I'm El Diablo for a very good reason :)

I'm glad the annual requal exam is over.

Mike

I can't WAIT to get to requal exams! These weekly exams are getting real old.  ;D

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:09 »

Eatonicolas

Needs of the Navy mostly. Yes, you will get to share your desires and with any stroke of luck, they will line up with the needs of the Navy.

Justin

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:17 »
Needs of the Navy mostly. Yes, you will get to share your desires and with any stroke of luck, they will line up with the needs of the Navy.

Justin

Thats pretty much exactly how it goes. The nuke info presented by the recruiters tends to make it sound like one rating is better than another. New personnel tend to think that EMs and MMs are some how lesser than ETs. The reality is the only lesser nuke is one that can't/won't qualify and support his/her division/department.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2008, 11:15 »
Thats pretty much exactly how it goes. The nuke info presented by the recruiters tends to make it sound like one rating is better than another. New personnel tend to think that EMs and MMs are some how lesser than ETs. The reality is the only lesser nuke is one that can't/won't qualify and support his/her division/department.

+1. An no rate has an advantage over any other in the civilian world. Everyone is just a nuke.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2008, 12:50 »
I can't WAIT to get to requal exams! These weekly exams are getting real old.  ;D

Justin

I'm getting tired of doing any kind of exams or training. If anything drives me out of this industry it's the training. I'm just getting plain tired of it. Yeah I know it's part of being an operator but after doing it for as many years as I've been I'm starting to think it's not worth it anymore.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2008, 09:02 »
I'm getting tired of doing any kind of exams or training. If anything drives me out of this industry it's the training. I'm just getting plain tired of it. Yeah I know it's part of being an operator but after doing it for as many years as I've been I'm starting to think it's not worth it anymore.

Mike

I hear ya. I will probably be the same way after a while.

Justin

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2008, 01:39 »

Mike

Mike,
Just swap over to RP.  Worked great for Hal, didn't it? ;)
LM

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:15 »
Hal was a double swap wasn't he? IIRC OPs got him from RP, we licensed him then were stupid in that we gave him a meaningless job for something like 15 months. Finally we made him an SM and to be honest he was one of the BEST I ever worked for and with. He was reasonable and far more technically proficient than he let on. He never got so wrapped up in the technicalities that he forgot the big picture. Also his habit of taking personnel into account prior to making a final decision was something that stuck with me, Kevin M was strong at that too, its a huge reason why I admire both Hal and Kevin and try to emulate what they did so well.  I also liked if something happened on my shift that affected his shift he'd tell me first to get the real story. Then RP swupped him back! That in my opinion was a team win for Fermi. Hal is now an Ops instructor at BFN. I'll be seeing him in a few weeks as I'm going there for a Risk Assessment Self Assessment. TVA requires an SM on the assessment and since I speak BWR I was elected.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2008, 06:29 »
There are plenty of threads on this topic,....

IMNSHAHEO,...

ELT's are the masters of their domain,...if you can get MM take it and then,...Excel, Lead and Triumph,....

heheheheheh,.... ;)

and here I thought it stood for :

Easy
Living
Technician   ;)

But back on thread.... 100 quatloos against the original poster, for lack of humility...

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2008, 06:45 »

But back on thread.... 100 quatloos against the original poster, for lack of humility...

Have you ever met a nuke, Navy or commercial, with much humility?   :P
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2008, 07:03 »
There are plenty of threads on this topic,....

IMNSHAHEO,...

ELT's are the masters of their domain,...if you can get MM take it and then,...Excel, Lead and Triumph,....

heheheheheh,.... ;)

I was trying to figure out a way to spin this, but I love it too much so I'll let it stand :D

ELT's are the shadiest mo-fo's :D CLOSELY followed by reactor mechanics ;)  ("Why yes! we DID have a WAF posted and the correct tagouts!" XD)

withroaj

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:29 »

I was trying to figure out a way to spin this, but I love it too much so I'll let it stand :D

ELT's are the shadiest mo-fo's :D CLOSELY followed by reactor mechanics ;)  ("Why yes! we DID have a WAF posted and the correct tagouts!" XD)

Not to get too far off topic here, but damn.  In 2008 in the NNPP if you're doing maintenance without a posted WAF and the correct tagouts, you guys aren't cool, edgy or shady.  You guys suck at your jobs.  That's not something to advocate to someone who's looking to get in the game.  You might want to check your priorities, pardner.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008, 04:26 by withroaj »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2008, 01:17 »
We really should be able to smite a person more than once/day.  8) Waiting that 24 hours give me that same feeling of excited anticipation that I had on the night before Christmas when I was a kid.  :P

Justin
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008, 01:19 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2008, 02:57 »
We really should be able to smite a person more than once/day.  8) Waiting that 24 hours give me that same feeling of excited anticipation that I had on the night before Christmas when I was a kid.  :P

Justin

It just means that your follow-up smites are heartfelt, not just a casual whim, your desire to see the recipient go into negative nnumbers! ;)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2008, 03:05 »
  You might want to check your priorities, pardner.

Or check your TLD with the duty ELT on the way off the brow...

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2008, 07:44 »
We could argue it, but just burst bubbles...sorry it's the need of the navy so fill out the form and they'll trash it and give you your rate..:) unless you have some huge background in something then they will force you into that..either way you never actually have a choice..(except to be a target sailor or not..)
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2008, 11:51 »
We could argue it, but just burst bubbles...sorry it's the need of the navy so fill out the form and they'll trash it and give you your rate..:) unless you have some huge background in something then they will force you into that..either way you never actually have a choice..(except to be a target sailor or not..)

I don't know if this would qualify as huge background but my room mate in A-school had a associates degree in electronics and they still made him an MM. The rumor I herd was that the way it works in boot camp is that they take each grad group start with the 900 companies and work their way down filling the ET EM spots with people who have the right line scores for the positions after they are filled the rest are all assigned MM so if you are one of the latter division in a grad group you will get MM.

Don't know how true it is but it sounds plausible.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008, 02:10 by 93-383 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?