Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO to SRO question honeypot

Author Topic: NLO to SRO question  (Read 14250 times)

dirtyspu

NLO to SRO question
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:11 »
Lets saw I were to qualify NLO here at surry while my wife was in school (2 years or so), could I then still go into SRO at a different plant?  Or is it kinda like you get one shot at the instant SRO? Thanks.

Tom

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: NLO to SRO question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:14 »
Without having the company policy in front of me or NRC licensing guidelines to reference, IMHO/IIRC an NLO can only go instant SRO if:

1. 3 years NLO and Engineering Degree at the plant the plant they were an NLO
or
2. <3 years NLO, but Navy EOOW/PPWS/EWS/RO (something about having been qualified to move rods or supervise rod moves

Standing by for corrections.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:16 »
I think the total experience is supposed to be 3 years total.  There is a way to use some academic experience as part of the three years.

I know many will disagree with me, but I think the RO route should be in the cards for you.  As an RO you will actually get to operate the plant.  I have no regrets about taking the RO path.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:05 »
Three years at the plant in question unless you went there previously licensed.

Mike

dirtyspu

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:24 »
I need to clarify, I am in the NAVY and will be getting out.  I will have >3 years PPWS = EWS, so I think I would meet the requirements for SRO.  The question is would I still be able to get into instant SRO, provided that I met the requirements.  Thanks

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:51 »
make a deal with the utility on hire. in six months you will go to training. get certified and then put your time in on the unit. thats usually the way it works. you need the in plant supervision experience.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2009, 06:37 »
Well if you have a habit of leaving out relevant data I would be led to believe you have an attention to detail problem and I wouldn't hire you to begin with.

Mike

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:11 »
Exactly, you can be hired anywhere that hires instants based on Navy quals. It would then be irrelevant where you were an NLO, but it couldn't hurt your chances if you were an NLO on the same type of reactor as where you want to get licensed.

Jason

P.S. Mike, I'd work for you any day.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009, 04:12 by Jason K »

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:26 »
Thank you Jason, and I'd have you on my group in a heartbeat.

Mike

dirtyspu

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:35 »
Mike, what position are you in? 

alphadude

« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:34 »
hes a boiler head.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:35 »
I'm a Shift Manager at a PWR. Ex Navy MM/ELT, got out after 6 as a E-6 in 1990, hired on as a NLO at a BWR, Got my RO License in 1994, SRO in 1997, SM in 2000, moved to a dual unit PWR as a SM in 2005, got my instant SRO License at that PWR in May 2007 and  have been a qualified SM here ever since.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:36 »
hes a boiler head.

Ex Boiler Head though BWR Guys never lose the Boiler in them. One thing I liked when I did an assessment at Browns Ferry was being able to talk BWR again!

dirtyspu

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:37 »
Wow so you have done it all.  Nice

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:40 »
Done a lot, if I ever get to the point where I've done it all then I'll get out of the industry as I'll be incredibly bored.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:48 »
Don't forget, Mike was there when they pulled the rods on the sun ;).
LM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:54 »

pfffffft!,...was not,.... ;)

I worked for a dinosaur who pulled rods on the Sun for a long time,....or was that Greenland?!?!?!

Maybe both, I know he worked at SL-1 while it was all still in one piece,...

And being an Army guy he was not in awe of Navy nukes,...

But he was a great guy to work for, and I appear to be drifting off-topic, cyaltr!!!!

Those of us who went through ELT school in Idaho in the 70's or earlier had an instructor who was on the response team for SL-1. By the way your Army pal probably had Navy instructors from the S1W prototype just down the road, it was common practice in the early days.

Back on Topic, Tom you will never know until you try. Like the Navy the needs of the service/company frequently dictates policy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?