Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Back to nuke?

Author Topic: Back to nuke?  (Read 4719 times)

shuie

Back to nuke?
« on: Nov 18, 2008, 05:41 »
I did my six as a MM. Been out 10yrs. I've been working in residental construction ever since. Building big custom houses and such. Have been thinking about coming back to the nuke field, or moving to Panama and fishing for a living. I'm just tired of the BS in building. Problem is, I currently make $40 an hr working for myself. What do you guys think. Stick to building? Go back to nuke? Move to Panama? Think anybody would hire me? BTW Hi to anyone who was at S5G between 93 and 95 I was a SPU there.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Re: Back to nuke?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2008, 06:12 »
Well having grown up in PSJ (Port St Joe) I'd say go back to Panama. LOL BTW, I noticed the name... is Huie your last name? My middle name is Huie, my grandfather was Gordon C Huie from Haines City Florida. It's such an unusal name I thought I'd ask. Good luck in whatever you do.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2008, 07:10 »
Think anybody would hire me?

Yes. Good luck.

Justin

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:18 »
My sense is that the true crafts such as ironworking, carpentry, etc. are in decline.  Find a niche, such as custom ______ (you fill in the blank) that isn't readily obtainable at the Lowes or Home Depot stores.  Can charge your usual forearm or leg prices and enjoy life as you see fit.

Just my opinion, I would love to have your capability to work with wood. 

deltarho
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Khak-Hater

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:46 »
You're tired of the BS in building so you're thinking of going back into the nuke field.  Do you not remember the difference between real work and nuke work?  It's the extra five tons of BS.  There's a lot less BS in the nuke industry than there was in the nuke Navy, but there's still plenty to go around.  Seriously, if going to Panama and fishing is a real option for you, then you probably don't need to be considering doing this for a living. 

I had a fellow who worked for me who got a million dollar legal settlement from a wrongful injury claim several years after a temporarily incapacitating automobile accident.  It didn't take him long to quit, move to Asheville, and pursue his dream job of producing his own movie [He had a background in community theater].  He went through his money in about a year and a half, sold his movie rights to someone in a better position to finish it, and was back here looking for work.  We found him some part time work for a couple of months until he landed a permanent position down at SRS. 

I asked him if, in retrospect, he thought he made the right decision.  He said absolutely.  Once you know how to do something, you can always go back to it, but chasing your dreams is on a whole different level.

Get busy living or get busy dieing.

Good Luck,

MGM

McBride

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2008, 02:12 »
Well having grown up in PSJ (Port St Joe)

COLOR ME JEALOUS!!!!
My wife and I honeymooned at Old Saltworks Cabins!

shuie

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2008, 04:06 »
Thanks all. I am going back to Panama in a couple of weeks for a quick trip, need to think some more about that move. The building industry here is getting harder. Insurance is shockingly expensive, in fact all aspects are more expensive. I kind of miss the days when you went to work did what you were told and went home. I guess I'm tired of trying to run a business. If I go back to a "real" job nuke will probably be it, if i can still get hired. I've been out of the field for some time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?