Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bartlett Can't Staff Duke-Energy
honeypot

Author Topic: Bartlett Can't Staff Duke-Energy  (Read 77896 times)

south kackalackee

Bartlett Can't Staff Duke-Energy
« on: Nov 21, 2008, 07:32 »
Bartlett has had problems staffing Duke Powers outages the last few year's or so due to low pay and competing outages with higher pay. The RP's coming in are the one's who can't get in the higher paying jobs due to poor work habits and they are killing the few good RP's there. We were 18 RP's short this outage at Oconee and most of the one's who did come in could not climb, crawl,were overweight and could not wear a respirator and were limited in where they could work and still got paid what the capable RP got.So you can imagine who did all the work. McGuire is short RP's for the next outage this spring. Duke Energy sites has turned into the last place to get in if you can't get in anywhere else. It is like the old saying, give us your tired, weary, broken down, Bartlett turns nobody down. 

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
Re: Bartlett Can't Staff Duke-Energy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:14 »
I too would like to know the meaning of your post.  I know a few techs that are currently working the Duke system, and they are outstanding technicians.   It was great to see the pay rate increase this year.  However, with Duke wanting returnees, some technicians had to wait a while for confirmation for both McGuire and Oconee.

Also, the spring outage has Catawba and Oconee, not McGuire.  So, how can any of the sites be short RPs for the spring outage, when none of them have been staffed yet?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:21 »
Staffing any job is easy. All a utility has to know is;   If you pay them well and treat them well they will come.
I have never worked a Duke plant because they have never followed the first part of the above rule.

south kackalackee

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:23 »
What I am trying to say is, 90% of the techs coming in ...........

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other. NukeWorker.com’s goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 07:55 by Marlin »

stownsend

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2008, 11:07 »
Thanks for clarifying but let's not lay this on Bartlett.The living wage is not there for the good techs to stay anymore and have traveled to new pastures. The ones who stayed have their reasons. With todays market I may come back in ten years to supplement my retirement. That is something I never would have thought before.Keeping a supplemental staff to work outages and travel at prevailing wages of the the trades and federal per diem is the only way I can see people coming back any time soon. Then the utilities will have a tech that is worth his weight(pun intended).They need to know they will have work for 12 months if wanted or flexible enough to offer 9 or six if that is exceptable to all parties.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2008, 11:31 »
What I am trying to say is, 90% of the techs coming in ........

OK. Before you assault the character of the calorically (as in calories) challenged, what are the main factors for the Duke sites paying so low? Did the good old Southern hospitality go away? Are you mad because you are the only good technician and they don't bring any other good ones? Take a look at all the factors first before you blame it all on the heavy people.....
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 07:48 by Marlin »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2008, 12:38 »
I agree that everyone probably has their own agenda as to why they want to come to the Duke system.  Some people prefer working the system, while others may have wanted to come to the area for the first time, since it's closer to family members.  This was our case in point, since we just lost my father-in-law in July and my mother-in-law needs help.   At 23/85, it was a cut from other plants, but we needed to do what WE needed to do.  And for those that may not know my husband, he is neither calorically challenged, lazy, or late.   Plus, he likes the Duke system and would like to return.

I don't think it's a "Bartlett problem" in staffing Duke... it's a preference as to where the roadies want to go.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:09 »
sew.... watt are day paying at duke des daze?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:36 »
Bartlett has had problems staffing Duke Powers outages the last few year's or so due to low pay and competing outages with higher pay. The RP's coming in are the one's who can't get in the higher paying jobs due to poor work habits and they are killing the few good RP's there. We were 18 RP's short this outage at Oconee and most of the one's who did come in could not climb, crawl,were overweight and could not wear a respirator and were limited in where they could work and still got paid what the capable RP got.So you can imagine who did all the work. McGuire is short RP's for the next outage this spring. Duke Energy sites has turned into the last place to get in if you can't get in anywhere else. It is like the old saying, give us your tired, weary, broken down, Bartlett turns nobody down. 

Okay, I'll attempt to stay on topic and not piss to many people off ...

I find it hard to believe that with a $2 - $3 per hour wage increase that pay could be blamed for the shortage this outage season and perhaps the problem is more with the scheduling than money.

There are many, many techs who are currently working there who are quite capable regardless of the health issues of a few. You must remember that we are an aging work force and with age comes many draw backs.

I personally would rather work with someone who was a little slower, a little more out of shape and perhaps even a little less refined than I had someone with the attitude that you have displayed here. I cannot not imagine getting off or work after a 12.5 hr shift and reading that some s**t head had blasted me and my work habits. I can imagine that many a tech will be looking over their shoulder after this one. And many even the goods one wonder if they are working in a friendly work place?

As far as sitting around and playing games, can you tell me this... are you talking about Oconee that is located near Seneca, SC? As I understand it breaks have been cut to a bare minimum and there is no time for games much less the old routine of 3 in and 3 out.

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 03:32 by Camella Black »

stownsend

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2008, 02:24 »
sew.... watt are day paying at duke des daze?
Slogo (I mean sloglo)
scroll up two posts
$23/$85

south kackalackee

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:26 »
Carmella, XXXXXXXXXXXXX, When was the last time you were in the Duke system, I bet never. I know your husband is now here at Oconee. I see him every day, but not you.As far as time being tight, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX, 95% of the work is done by 5% of the people. We could loose 50% of the RP's on site now and never miss them.Thats the real truth,Ask (No names)

4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other. NukeWorker.com’s goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

7. Peoples name’s: Don’t use them, they lead to law suits. Some names are already censored because of this. Don’t use names in stories or messages that could in any way be taken wrong.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 07:54 by Marlin »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:46 »
Just out of curiosity, what does Duke pays its house Senior RP Techs?

Also, does the COLA justify what Duke pays compared to perhaps a Cali plant or a NE plant?

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2008, 06:14 »
$23 and $85 !!!!!   Wow thats a lot higher than my Duke days (last one being Oconee fall 07)  I was making $20 and $85 as a 5 year tech.  Well Ive worked Oconee and Catawba, and I have to say there havent been many that were a better place to work (been to 18 other nukes)  I love the laid back southern way.  I remember them shutting down the critical path work of shielding the S/G legs because the containment elevator was out of service, the (1) 3 hour rover jumps and the "Im leaving early, its my friday".  The ONLY thing I hated about Duke (and they are not the only ones) is the 11 1/2 hours for 12. That has always boiled my blood.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

RADBASTARD

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:34 »
What run out of Bumkins?
Don't get me wrong,I loved all my years I worked at mcguire.

I just can't understand why most of the people keep going back and yet still complain about the low wages.
If they would just choose to work somewhere else for 1 outage maybe things would change and they would have to raise the wages to get you in.

As long as the people that say oohh look bluto it's my home plant I got to work it,it's my duty.
Unless your name is on the cornerstone or your mail is delivered there,it doesn't belong to you.

So just man up and work at another site and just maybe they will have to raise the wages to get you in.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008, 12:37 by RadBastard »

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:21 »
Being I'm not worth a what ever nickle.over weight at 129 lbs and aren't good enough to be called RP it will not matter what I say. I'm so sick of others judging others because of their own selfishness or maybe it's because they are just one you can't even get along with themselves.I worked for around 25 years as decon and now an 18.1. we all know no matter where you work you will find all kinds . I work Duke cause I get treated good and with respect ( which you are not showing me ). Now the way I see it if you don't like it leave.I stay here by choice I'm 46 and been to 30 different plants and if I choose to stay here don't judge me. I've seem people who has some problems out work those who can but want to sit around and bit__!!! about others. no matter where you work there will be all kinds I just hope when you get down and have problems ( we all do ) that maybe you will get judged as you have judged. If you "South whateve"r need to drop me a line please do so.I think you must be young and new to the business and I hope some day you might understand others and myself who just want to get through life and treat others as I would want to be treated
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 10:52 by RELLISON62 »
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:39 »
Carmella, XXXXXXXXXXXXX, When was the last time you were in the Duke system, I bet never. I know your husband is now here at Oconee. I see him every day, but not you.As far as time being tight, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, 95% of the work is done by 5% of the people. We could loose 50% of the RP's on site now and never miss them.Thats the real truth,Ask (No names)

To begin with please note there is not an "r" in my name... as far as not having a clue I have plenty believe me. No I have never had the pleasure of working at a Duke plant, but several friends and 3 generations of my family have. Many of these workers choose to return despite the lower pay because they can work all 3 plants, its close to home and the weather is much better in the South during the winter.

As far as seeing Henry everyday and not me, have you never heard the saying..."behind every good man is an even better woman"?  ;)  Believe me after 29 years of being married and his working the biz for 27 of those, I'm pretty sure I've heard first hand most of what goes on at work. :)

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 07:59 by Marlin »

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:59 »
I hear you Camella. I can't believe people are so judgemental and truth be know there are ghost in their closets
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2008, 11:22 »
I've worked about four outages total at Oconee. I worked there because i liked the plant, the people and the work. Don't let the fact that some people are "calorie challenged" be the only judge of the work they do. i have friends i've known for decades who were top notch techs. Maybe now their backs don't work so well, or their knees ache all the time. you may be a young buck but don't discount the value of your fellow workers and their experience.

As far as "calorie challenged" techs, I'm one of them. and for all of my outages at Oconee, when it was time to work I got off of my lazy butt, squeezed into a set of 5X OREX, taped myself up, grabbed my meter and did my 3-5 hour roving jump in the BRT.

(No names) might remember me from the waste sort facility at SRS. I have never let my weight stop me from doing my work, getting jobs, being promoted, and being asked to return several times.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 08:01 by Marlin »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2008, 11:31 »
then the snide question comes to mind: if all the good techs are working elsewhere, why are you at Oconee?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2008, 12:06 »
First of all..that was a very uncool post.. very insulting to the people that came there to support YOUR outage. In fact..i have friends there currently and i feel bad they have to be subjected to YOUR attitude in the workplace.

also.. how often do road techs arrive at a plant to be told ...youre not a real tech..get me a house tech..OR.perhaps a better question should be ..what exactly does outage support mean to YOU as a house tech..does it mean teamwork?? i think not..apparantly you are on the "I" team and not the "WE" team..i mean scince your work standard and ethics are much higher than the "losers" you are forced to endure

you know usually when i am convinced everyone around me is a complete *ss...is about the time i realize ..ITS ME... LOL

Life is a lesson ..learn it

It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

hezabear

« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2008, 04:50 »
It still makes me wonder if you are going to talk about your fellow techs on a board and not sign your name. How much back stabbing are you doing to your fellow techs behind their back. Sure there are techs here that are not 100% including me but I do what they  tell me and give them 100% of what I have. After 29 years I believe I have earned the right to be a little slower and maybe not as fast as a 20 year old tech. But there is not a job here that I have not covered or could not cover. But most of all what I have learned in 29 years is all a tech really has on his side is his fellow techs and when someone like you starts bulls--t like this it does no one any good. And by the way its Camella  with no R you go get them Sis. Brad Brown

south kackalackee

« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2008, 06:41 »
(No names), You would be lost without (No names) guiding you. 18.1, more like 9 and 1/2.  Heza Bear, I remember when you left one outage early with blisters on your feet from having to walk alot on the turbine floor. (No names) is 68 and will work circles around any of you, so don"t use the age card, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.Carmella, from the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

7. Peoples name’s: Don’t use them, they lead to law suits. Some names are already censored because of this. Don’t use names in stories or messages that could in any way be taken wrong.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 08:06 by Marlin »

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2008, 07:14 »
 :o

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2008, 07:22 »
I would like to know why you are being so mean spirited. 
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008, 11:51 by Rennhack »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:10 »
, I remember when you left one outage early with blisters on your feet from having to walk alot on the turbine floor.XXXXXXX is 68 and will work circles around any of you, so don"t use the age card, just state you are lazy.Carmella, from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX

kackalackee, wow! Glad you brought this up, yep Heza Bear sure did leave an outage early with blisters on his feet... they landed him in the local hospital and nearly cost him his life. Did you know this? Were you one of the hundreds who signed the get well card or were you sulking in the corner cause you had to pick up the slack for someone who have worked themselves to the bone? Get your facts straight before you start slinging mud.

I believe he is doing a fine job seeing it has yet to be a year since he was rushed to Greenville for open heart surgery or did you forget that too? Brad has been working in this business since he was 18 when he traveled to CA to begin his first job and has never looked back. While he may be a little slower and a little broken in places he is still one damn good tech.

As far as the comments aimed at me... what a joke. I would like to inform you that I don't have time to hold a paying job, between the volunteer work that I do in my community, on the  national level and right here at nukeworker; the trips biweekly to Dorie's therapy, the biweekly trips to stay with Henry on the road, etc, etc I stay pretty dang busy.

Sounds to me like you need a little of what Henry and I have... a warm, honest, loving marriage between two people who respect each other and support each other in all aspects of their relationship... believe me being a road tech wife for the past 27 years has been one hell of a ride and I have gone way beyond my duty in supporting and caring for my husband. But don't take my word ask him.

Do yourself a favor the next time you want to bitch or unload about problems at work try sharing your thoughts with your better half or your priest but if you must air them in public try not to be so abrasive to your coworkers.  :)

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 08:08 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?