Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do you like the area your in?  

Author Topic: How do you like the area your in?  (Read 23674 times)

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
How do you like the area your in?
« on: Nov 27, 2008, 12:06 »
I am new on here and I have to say that there is some great information.  I searched around a lot, but have one question for everyone.  How do you like the areas that you live in?  I am like many on here that are making that transition soon from Navy to civilian nuclear power.  I know I am likely going to settle with where the jobs are.  Being from WY/SD area I've never lived near a nuclear plant, and I just want to get everyone's take on how you like the area (especially those with families).

Thanks,
Chad

PapaBear765

Re: How do you like the area your in?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2008, 07:00 »
Good question.

Went to a job fair last week and spoke with a guy from the Arkansas plant of Entergy.  He said it's just about the lowest cost of living in the nation, a plus.  Anyone have anything bad to say about the area?

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:19 »
From what I understand there's not a lot to do around ANO.

I moved from Michigan to near Chattanooga. It's the best move I could have made. The cost of living is great, the weather is excellent with 4 different seasons, there's a lot to do and virtually anywhere you might want to go east of the Mississippi is within 8 or 9 hours. Plus the people in this region are incredible.

Mike

PapaBear765

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2008, 04:11 »
From what I understand there's not a lot to do around ANO.

I moved from Michigan to near Chattanooga. It's the best move I could have made. The cost of living is great, the weather is excellent with 4 different seasons, there's a lot to do and virtually anywhere you might want to go east of the Mississippi is within 8 or 9 hours. Plus the people in this region are incredible.

Mike

So far I haven't heard anyone complain about Chattanooga.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2008, 06:02 »
I have none at all. Now if I could figure out how to stay here without having to actually work I'd be set :)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:04 »
I have none at all. Now if I could figure out how to stay here without having to actually work I'd be set :)

Isn't that called retirement  :)

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:31 »
My daughter wants to go to Dartmouth....

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:02 »
I live in South East Kansas, near Wolf Creek.  I think it's a great area to live in...  Excellent schools, lots of family oriented activities... Everyone's into camping, boating, fishing, hunting...  But, so far as going to places to support the economy, there's not much, unless you drive.  You have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Wal-Mart.  Summer and winter arer the dominate seasons, with shorter springs and falls.  I'm pretty sure we're in the market for operator apprentices, as well. 

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2008, 12:00 »
I live in South East Kansas, near Wolf Creek.  I think it's a great area to live in...  Excellent schools, lots of family oriented activities... Everyone's into camping, boating, fishing, hunting...  But, so far as going to places to support the economy, there's not much, unless you drive.  You have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Wal-Mart.  Summer and winter are the dominate seasons, with shorter springs and falls.  I'm pretty sure we're in the market for operator apprentices, as well. 

The drive is exactly what I am hoping to avoid.  I'm sure its not going to be easy.  I also haven't been a huge fan of my drives through Kansas.  Not saying it might not be a great place to live though.  I think I am leaning towards something further north if available.  However, I recently read something in The Republic, newspaper for Phoenix area, stating that Palo Verde almost needs to completely restaff within the next 5 years due to people leaving, and the number of people retiring.  I don't know about how much I would like Phoenix, but again if that is where the jobs are.

Anyone from the New England states, Michigan, or Minnesota area?  For some reason I am a cold weather person and would like some feedback on how you like it.  Thanks again to everyone.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2008, 03:08 »
Isn't the drive to work at Palo Verde quite long?

When I moved to SE Tennessee the nearest store was about 20 minutes away. Now it's maybe 5 minutes or so.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2008, 05:47 »
Isn't the drive to work at Palo Verde quite long?

When I moved to SE Tennessee the nearest store was about 20 minutes away. Now it's maybe 5 minutes or so.

Mike

Yes, if you want to live in civilization, the drive out to the plant is an average of 30-40 miles. That is shrinking though, as they continually pave and build on the desert.

Justin

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2008, 11:42 »
There is not really any good answers here for You. What I mean is...Only you can figure out what area feels like home. I live in Michigan and think it is the greatest place to live. Many would tell you they don't like Michigan for various reasons. For me it feels like home. I grew up here, left for many years and lived in places like...Georgia, Virginia, Phoenix, Southern California, Ohio. These are the places that I actually stayed for a while, not for just an outage or two. In the end, Michigan was home.

I guess with that said. If you are able, travel. Hit the road as a contractor and see the country while you are making a living and making up your mind. I have worked in something like 17 states over the years and have found some great locations where I thought I would not. But Michigan has been the best. Great summers, all 4 seasons, small towns, friendly people for the most part. Not the cheapest of places to live, but that isn't the only measure for me, it's not really even in the top 5 reasons to live somewhere. Also, being a contractor allows you to live where ever you want to, Michigan, California, Ohio or even Thialand.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Khak-Hater

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:04 »
I live in the Knoxville area and love it.  Plenty to do, an extremely low cost of living for a city of its size, plus it has hundreds of nuclear-based employers to provide better job opportunities.

Unfortunately, there is a downside to living in a place with such a low cost of living.  It's so inexpensive to live here, that you really can't consider moving away.  I've had to turn down numerous really cool job opportunities over the last few years just because there is no way that it would be worth a company's money to offer a raise big enough just to cover the cost of living increase. 

I work with a good number of people who moved here from Rocky Flats after its closure.  They sold their two-bedroom ranch houses in Denver and moved into 4,000 square foot mansions here, but once you're here, you're kind of stuck (i.e., Why would you move to someplace more expensive after you've tasted the good life?).

I know that this sounds kind of crazy, but I'd wonder if it wouldn't be better for someone coming straight out of the Navy to move somewhere that is either really expensive or really horrible.  I mean, you've been in the Navy for several years, so anything is going to seem like an improvement over what you've been doing.  Then, after you get some experience you can take a job somewhere else and move up.  It kind of takes the joy out of a 20 or 30k promotion when you have to move into a smaller house in a worse neighborhood. 

Just something to think about.

MGM

PapaBear765

« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:33 »
Kind of related...  with the real estate and economy the way they are, what are some good moves to take for guys getting out of the navy that would set themselves up for a quick sell on their house?  Is the only alternative to rent the house?  That's about my only fear facing me as I separate, will my house be on the market for a year?

Is there any truth to the 4th-hand info I've heard regarding commercial plants offering incentives along the lines of paying for your carrying costs while your previous residence is on the market, or anything like that?

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:36 »
Kind of related...  with the real estate and economy the way they are, what are some good moves to take for guys getting out of the navy that would set themselves up for a quick sell on their house?  Is the only alternative to rent the house?  That's about my only fear facing me as I separate, will my house be on the market for a year?

Is there any truth to the 4th-hand info I've heard regarding commercial plants offering incentives along the lines of paying for your carrying costs while your previous residence is on the market, or anything like that?

Not for a NUB without any commercial experience.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:49 »

Mike

+1. This is the kind of stuff you can negotiate when you get your license.

Justin

JsonD13

« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:59 »
I am from Minnesota, and I recently moved my family to Monticello.  We love it.  Everything, I mean everything, is within a 5 minute drive.  It has the "Minnesota Nice" feel to it too.  Schools are excellent, neighbors around us rock.

<sigh>  I can't wait till I go back too.

Jason

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:15 »
I live in the Knoxville area and love it.  Plenty to do, an extremely low cost of living for a city of its size, plus it has hundreds of nuclear-based employers to provide better job opportunities.

Unfortunately, there is a downside to living in a place with such a low cost of living.  It's so inexpensive to live here, that you really can't consider moving away.  I've had to turn down numerous really cool job opportunities over the last few years just because there is no way that it would be worth a company's money to offer a raise big enough just to cover the cost of living increase. 

I work with a good number of people who moved here from Rocky Flats after its closure.  They sold their two-bedroom ranch houses in Denver and moved into 4,000 square foot mansions here, but once you're here, you're kind of stuck (i.e., Why would you move to someplace more expensive after you've tasted the good life?).

I know that this sounds kind of crazy, but I'd wonder if it wouldn't be better for someone coming straight out of the Navy to move somewhere that is either really expensive or really horrible.  I mean, you've been in the Navy for several years, so anything is going to seem like an improvement over what you've been doing.  Then, after you get some experience you can take a job somewhere else and move up.  It kind of takes the joy out of a 20 or 30k promotion when you have to move into a smaller house in a worse neighborhood. 

MGM

That has to be the most assinine thing I've ever heard.

PapaBear765

« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:50 »

Mike

Watch out, Mike is on the rag again.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 04:51 by PapaBear765 »

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:17 »

Which part? 

For the record I can see what he is saying, but perhaps there is something there I didnt see which you do.  Please enlighten!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:07 »

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:24 »
I am from Minnesota, and I recently moved my family to Monticello.  We love it.  Everything, I mean everything, is within a 5 minute drive.  It has the "Minnesota Nice" feel to it too.  Schools are excellent, neighbors around us rock.

Thanks Jason.  This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I know someone mentioned that I am going to have to figure out what feels like home for me, and that goes without saying.  I appreciate knowing what you guys feel about the school systems, possible outdoor activities in the area, nightlife, etc.  Seems like there are a lot of great people on here.  I know that is something I am going to miss about the Navy.  Yet, a lot of the posts I've read give me a great comfort knowing that many of you have that same type of relationship with many (not all obviously) of your coworkers.  Again I appreciate all the good feedback.  Looking forward to whereever I end up.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:17 »

MGM

You got that part right... sounds crazy. Because it is.

I once had a prospective new employer tell me it was better if they started me in the middle of the salary range rather than at the top (where my experience put me) because if I was already at the top there would be no where to go up. He was telling me it was to my benefit for him to pay me less so I had something to look forward to. Idiotic. Same logic here.

The reason some jobs pay more based on their location is exactly the reason you are talking about. They have to pay more to drag people away from better locations or lower costs of living. So far you just haven't been given enough of an incentive to move, which is fine as long as you are happy. You will know the value you place on where you live when someone finally offers you enough to move. For some people in some locations that is a lot of money... for others, not so much. The utilities in less desirable locations are looking for the people that are less content in their current jobs/locations/situations that they can pry loose. They won't likely get you because you want too much to leave. But to suggest that someone start in a place that they don't like so they have something to look forward to later or can be lured away to higher pay is ludicrous.

Kinda reminds me of the 'wait until marriage or you won't have anything to look forward to' speech. Didn't find the logic in that one, either. But maybe it is just me.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2008, 11:19 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

RNN

« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:01 »
Thanks Jason.  This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I know someone mentioned that I am going to have to figure out what feels like home for me, and that goes without saying.  I appreciate knowing what you guys feel about the school systems, possible outdoor activities in the area, nightlife, etc.  Seems like there are a lot of great people on here.  I know that is something I am going to miss about the Navy.  Yet, a lot of the posts I've read give me a great comfort knowing that many of you have that same type of relationship with many (not all obviously) of your coworkers.  Again I appreciate all the good feedback.  Looking forward to whereever I end up.

I have lived all over the country and I have found I really haven't found any place I really disliked working except Idaho.

The good thing about living in the age we do is we can look to the internet for answers that you couldn't 15 or so years ago. When I was headed to go to work in Ohio I wanted a good school district for my kids to go to and found the best one for the age of my kids by internet research.

Whenever I move or get a job offer I turn first to my peers that may have worked in the area or were from there and then hit the net to look to see what the area is like in a 20 mile radius because there can be a big difference in that small of an area. I'm in New York now and my god the difference in housing, quality of the area, nightlife, schools and population in the 20 mile zone is amazing to me.

When you get out of the service come to nukeworker for answers to someplace you want to work/live and you will get all different opinions on the area and then hit the net to see if it suites you and your family's needs.

Good luck to you when you get out and thank you for your service

RNN

Khak-Hater

« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2008, 03:12 »
"The reason some jobs pay more based on their location is exactly the reason you are talking about."  - RDTroja

To be honest, I haven't found this to be the case.  Extremely high cost of living areas like the DC area, the NorthEast, and California DO NOT pay substantially more [if any more at all] than people are paid here.  I'm not talking about job offers for the same job for more money as a "lure."  I'm talking about actual job promotions, that, because those areas don't pay any more than anyone else, you can't afford to take.  For instance, I don't understand how anyone works in Rockville [either for the NRC or as a beltway bandit] or as a department manager at Indian Point for the same money that an engineer makes here in Knoxville.  Take a look at the salary surveys, the money just isn't there for the high cost of living locations. 

This advice is completely different than some HR scum trying to screw you into a lower salary[no offense intended toward any HR scum out there].  The fact is, it's a lot easier to live in a one room studio apartment when your 25, than it is when your 40 with two or three kids [but both are better than a coffin rack].  I'm simply suggesting that, if you don't plan on working at the same plant for the rest of your life, which may be a very stagnant existence for some, it is something to consider.  If you plan on staying in the same area with the same company for the rest of your life, then by all means pick the nicest cheapest place you can find and good luck on trying to stay there.

Oh, and "Mike," whether I'm right or wrong about this, if that's the most asinine thing you've ever heard, then you've lived a very sheltered life.  Most days of my life, I've heard much worse than that before lunch.  I'd recommend that you might want to go climb back into the womb. 

MGM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?