Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do you like the area your in?

Author Topic: How do you like the area your in?  (Read 23733 times)

stownsend

Re: How do you like the area your in?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2008, 03:55 »
I'm sure you're family comes first so by all means take a permanent job. When I was single the road was for me and it was fun.Twenty five years later it got real old.Take the job where you go home every night.You're from the cold part of the US but how about the wife? Some people move to a warm/hot climate and hate it.I'm sure you'll decide this with your family.I grew up in New England and wouldn't of wanted to live anywhere else. For retirement I want to move south where I can afford it.Coming out of the service you'll get use to whatever the cost of living is for that area but I can't say it enough to take a permanent job.Good Luck.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2010, 04:23 by stownsend »

DSO

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2008, 11:38 »
"The reason some jobs pay more based on their location is exactly the reason you are talking about."  - RDTroja

To be honest, I haven't found this to be the case.  Extremely high cost of living areas like the DC area, the NorthEast, and California DO NOT pay substantially more [if any more at all] than people are paid here.  I'm not talking about job offers for the same job for more money as a "lure."  I'm talking about actual job promotions, that, because those areas don't pay any more than anyone else, you can't afford to take.  For instance, I don't understand how anyone works in Rockville [either for the NRC or as a beltway bandit] or as a department manager at Indian Point for the same money that an engineer makes here in Knoxville.  Take a look at the salary surveys, the money just isn't there for the high cost of living locations. 

This advice is completely different than some HR scum trying to screw you into a lower salary[no offense intended toward any HR scum out there].  The fact is, it's a lot easier to live in a one room studio apartment when your 25, than it is when your 40 with two or three kids [but both are better than a coffin rack].  I'm simply suggesting that, if you don't plan on working at the same plant for the rest of your life, which may be a very stagnant existence for some, it is something to consider.  If you plan on staying in the same area with the same company for the rest of your life, then by all means pick the nicest cheapest place you can find and good luck on trying to stay there.

Oh, and "Mike," whether I'm right or wrong about this, if that's the most asinine thing you've ever heard, then you've lived a very sheltered life.  Most days of my life, I've heard much worse than that before lunch.  I'd recommend that you might want to go climb back into the womb. 

MGM

I totally agree and know what you are talking about--I am just west of Erie, PA and live in a new house that would cost 3 times as much in California and besides the midwest and Texas--no cheaper areas to live----with northen yankee-type benefits ie defined benefit pension, etc, etc. I decided nicer weather doesn't help with stress as much as a good pay to cost of living ratio and better bennies. School district is rated a "10" and low crime and traffic.  I can pay $30/mo and go to the sun tan  booth until I retire quite securely.  Of course I do have to worry about a know-it-all, narrow-minded prima donna like Mike taking my job at any time because he is so smart--just ask him

braveliltoast3r

« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:00 »
it's a lot easier to live in a one room studio apartment when your 25, than it is when your 40 with two or three kids [but both are better than a coffin rack].

I wish I had a coffin rack. I have one of those really skinny racks and have to put my stuff in a stand-up locker.....   :'(

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2010, 01:30 »
I have lived all over the country, 12 states. For 10 years I had a job that required a ton of travel, about 40 weeks a year. Was great when I was single, married with kids it stunk. But the giid thing is it allowed me to see everything, I have spent time in every major city in North America so when the time was right to settle down and raise my famiily I knew right where I wanted to be. For me that is Charlotte, NC.

Mountians? 2 hours.
Ocean? 3 hours
All the fun of a large city? 30 Minutes
Wide open spaces and peace? 10 minutes
Racing? 2 minutes

Perfect weather for my taste, nice people as you find all over the Southeast, values you want you kids to learn, etc...

The perfect spot is different for everyone, find a job with a ton of travel early in your after Navy career to find your spot, let your employer pay for you exploring the country.

Offline Ops Nub

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:56 »
Love Columbia, SC (VC Summer) 2 hours to most things.
Jay

Samabby

« Reply #30 on: Jun 04, 2010, 08:46 »
" I can pay $30/mo and go to the sun tan  booth until I retire quite securely. 

Foolish thought. I hope that you are kidding.  8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?