Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Koeberg Nuclear Power Station - South Africa  

Author Topic: Koeberg Nuclear Power Station - South Africa  (Read 82172 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Koeberg Nuclear Power Station - South Africa
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2009, 08:54 »
So, did anything ever come of this the first time?

I see the guy is posting again, but am not going to get invloved if he didn't make good with his original commitments....
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline zammis

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #51 on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:08 »
What's kind of interesting is that Bernard contacted me again but seemed to have lost most of my information from earlier in the year. I had sent records of the NUF taken at Vogtle last fall which seemed to have gone missing. I reminded him that I was a female ( I had also sent a picture ) and it was not my lack of qualifications that had prevented me from going, that it may have something to do with the fact that as far as I knew NOBODY went. I also told him if he wants any Americans he'd better get on the stick as the fall outage schedule here is a heavy one. I don't really want to go anymore ( unless the $$$ are great ) but I'm enjoying watching to see how it all turns out.

Offline zammis

• Light User
« Reply #52 on: Jun 21, 2009, 02:46 »
Oh well.... I was selected to go to Koeberg and it sounds like it might be for real this time. Anyone going ? Sure would like to talk to you. Please write as I'm seriously considering it. Tired of listening to the BS from these contract outfits here.

Offline zammis

• Light User
« Reply #53 on: Jun 23, 2009, 01:21 »
Me again, Just heard from Bernard that the " schedule " is two days, two nights, and two off. Comes to about 60 hours a week. What kind of schedule is THAT ? The pay is $30 hr american overtime $45 and the per diem is 874 R a day which is about $100. Diem is not taxed and is kept in a local bank for your use. The pay is sent to your bank but taxed first in SA at a rate of 22.5 %. You get a certificate to send in with your taxes to show that these were already paid. Insurance is not available...wonder if this means I can keep my low COBRA for a while. Am I willing to give up my unemployment for this ? Any one goiing ?

Offline fred

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Jun 23, 2009, 03:27 »
I'm going to go.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Jun 23, 2009, 04:04 »
The Koeberg guy has contacted me via email, and said that people are not answering his calls or his emails.  If you are interested in going, I request that you contact the guy soon.

Offline fred

• Light User
« Reply #56 on: Jun 23, 2009, 04:25 »
com'on, dont be afraid. everyone's doin it.

Offline zammis

• Light User
« Reply #57 on: Jun 23, 2009, 04:56 »
I wrote him today telling him I am proceeding " as if " I am going...... meaning I am going on Thurs. to get the international drivers license and am going to see about the " Police Certificate ". Playing the devil's advocate I would have to add that we would not be able to deduct any travel expenses or our usual CONUS mileage differential etc. I suppose I could check on the unemployment insurance for my state. I'm just not financially secure enough to throw a bunch of bucks getting set up at a job that may not pan out to the positive money wise in the end. Sort of like working Palo Verde. The adventure attracts me in a big way however and with the head hunters at Big Blue already spewing BS (which I can no longer tolerate) SA looks that much more attractive.. So.... proceed I will. The contract is problematic with dates being somewhat off. Any thoughts on this ? 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #58 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:23 »
Post some details, and I'll try to get answers.  I don't know anything, but I can ask.

Offline zammis

• Light User
« Reply #59 on: Jun 26, 2009, 07:26 »
HHmmm........ Went to fax my contract today and was told that the number was no longer in service. Also have been waiting for a promised call from Bernard. The difficulty with the report dates being the contract states Aug. 17th which is two weeks before the outage date and Bernard has told us that is not enough time and we would need three weeks of training... so...when are we supposed to be there ? I'm beginning to think perhaps this fall outage is going to go the way of the spring one, for us anyway.

duke99301

« Reply #60 on: Jun 27, 2009, 12:43 »
he gets what he pays for when I was working overseas all taxs were paid by the company and pay went through the USA so I was able to draw unemployment.  flights were paid for there and back and we did not fly coach.
a driver picked us up at the airport and drove us to and from work.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:47 »
Any more info? I see that Bernard has been posting this job with increasing urgency....... How about it? Is anyone going?

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline lauriedude

• Light User
« Reply #62 on: Jul 26, 2009, 05:15 »
I am thinking of going if I don't get an offer at Palo Verde for a different position.  It sounds like a great adventure and I've spoken with several people who have worked there at length.  They loved the country.  I feel it would be a wonderful adventure.  I do have some info if anyone is going.  Email me and I'll send it.  If I go, I won't be going until the 2nd week of August.  If anyone is going, please contact me.  Perhaps we can share a car as I understand it is essential.

11 for 12

« Reply #63 on: Jul 28, 2009, 12:31 »
All i got to say is be careful what you wish for.
Just be glad you didn't go to brazil because you get told alot of lies to get you there and when you get there you find out things are different than you are told so please be careful
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2009, 10:07 by 11 for 12 »

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #64 on: Jul 28, 2009, 09:46 »
A ll igot to say is becarefulwhat you wish for.
Just be glad you didn't go to brazil because you get told alot of lies to get you there and when you get there you find out things are different than you are told so please be careful

Really good advice!!!!!!!
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline lauriedude

• Light User
« Reply #65 on: Jul 29, 2009, 10:44 »
I've been getting a lot of calls from this guy.  It seems very strange to me and I also heard that the hours were not what he stated.  I've decided not to go.  It is a long want to go and have things not work out as you are told they would.  Good luck to anyone who goes.  Oh, and I do have a list of restaurants, etc. for anyone who is going.  Just email me.

Good luck all.  laurie 8)

gotnoname19

« Reply #66 on: Aug 21, 2009, 02:53 »
Wow, this sounds awesome. You get to live in South Africa with a reasonably well paying job? The way I see it, if I could live/work there for 6 - 12 months and come out slightly ahead, I'd be stoked!!!!

It would seem that I am a little late for this August report date, but I will definitely be keeping my eye out for the next round of hiring.

Did anyone go?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #67 on: Sep 04, 2009, 02:19 »
So...did anyone go...?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #68 on: Sep 07, 2009, 06:01 »
Yeah, a friend of mine went. I went to school with him summer ( TSTC ) He is there now. Im thinking its supposed to be a 3 month gig . I may be wrong on the time frame but he is def there.
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

dtrader

« Reply #69 on: Sep 21, 2009, 03:44 »
I am curious if anyone actually went to SA?  There was a recent job posing on another site for instructors in SA.  I sent my resume and they, of course, want to know my inclusive rate.  Since I have never worked out of the country I am not really sure what one can expect.  I am serious about going if it is financially feasible to do so.

South_African

« Reply #70 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:04 »
Hi Dtrader,

Do you have the website address for that advert for the instrctors jobs?

neutronjack

« Reply #71 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:19 »
I've rec'd some information concerning a job in South Africa.........  They are offering somewhere in the range of $45 to $60 US for per diem.  I don't know if this per diem is paid over 7 days and I don't know if will be taxed (I've asked these questions but I haven't rec'd a response yet).  However, is this a "good per diem rate" for SA?  To me this seems low, considering the fact that SA is more expensive than the US.

I read above where SA doesn't pay per diem but as far as this position they will be giving per diem.  Does this imply a shift in their corporate financial thinking?

Thanks for the input

hossman

« Reply #72 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:39 »
I havd heard arumor that Bartlett is going to get the contract for the outage starting in August.  Has anyone else heard this?

Offline traveltax

• Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:37 »
I've rec'd some information concerning a job in South Africa.........  They are offering somewhere in the range of $45 to $60 US for per diem.  I don't know if this per diem is paid over 7 days and I don't know if will be taxed (I've asked these questions but I haven't rec'd a response yet).  However, is this a "good per diem rate" for SA?  To me this seems low, considering the fact that SA is more expensive than the US.

I read above where SA doesn't pay per diem but as far as this position they will be giving per diem.  Does this imply a shift in their corporate financial thinking?

Thanks for the input

The per diem rates for SA are much higher ( see http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem_action.asp?MenuHide=1&CountryCode=1233 ). I am not privy to the corporate history of the firm to comment on their travel allowance practices.
Joseph Smith EA/MS Tax
Enrolled Agent, Admitted to Practice Before the IRS
TravelTax TravelTax Canada
www.traveltax.com info@traveltax.com

11 for 12

« Reply #74 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:16 »
I havd heard arumor that Bartlett is going to get the contract for the outage starting in August.  Has anyone else heard this?
No there is no info that they will get the contract or that their int. dept bid on it.
The last group that went got paid $30hr and $100 a day diem and you had to find and pay for your own place, and meals,so if they are only paying $45-60 a day this time that is really bad and who in their right mine would go for that????? just to say wow i worked in s. africa duh you would make twice the coin here. They need to come up with those wages big time if they are correct.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?