Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Koeberg Nuclear Power Station - South Africa honeypot

Author Topic: Koeberg Nuclear Power Station - South Africa  (Read 82081 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Koeberg Nuclear Power Station - South Africa
« Reply #100 on: Apr 24, 2022, 03:59 »
Got my ROF. Now 3 weeks to poke around rest of southern Africa before my return flight...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2022, 11:31 »
Kruger National Park goes on my top-10 Best-Ever list...incredible abundance of wildlife. I'm not one for groups & guides, so safaris had never held any appeal to me. Kruger ended up being the ticket, since they let you drive yourself. Elephant...hippo...croc...rhi no...leopard...warthog...hyen a...giraffe...baboon...buffal o...impala...wildebeest...kud u...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 12:29 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2022, 08:20 »
1. Plenty of drawbacks to Koeberg, but...I will go back.

2. Next couple of outages are SGRPs....at the leisurely Koeberg pace...9 months per unit? ...12?    So...a ton of money to be made.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2022, 11:36 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #103 on: Jun 05, 2022, 11:11 »
Guess their fall outage got rescheduled to staff in late November? Currently planned for 120 days?   $$$

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #104 on: Jun 11, 2022, 12:19 »
These guys certainly take a laidback attitude towards staffing an outage...two weeks to in-process...and then a 3-day weekend when finally 'qualified'...

...or, maybe it goes beyond 'laidback'...has stretched to a full week...apparently there is some confusion in the plant as to why people would fly 10,000 miles to work. It is TO WORK, not to sit in hotel room waiting on some "committee" to approve our credentials. (The credential approval happens during the resume approval stage, if the plant happens to be reading this.)

GRRRR....  :-(

Ok...we got an explanation on 'credential review'...just their term for a final check that your plant RP training is complete & you are qualified to do a survey at Koeberg. Includes a short oral board in front of management & training.

That doesn't necessarily explain why we had a week off. But they finally called us back to work yesterday. So things moving in a positive direction.  🙂

Everyone had problems getting In-Processed this outage...most not as egregious as my group's debacle, but... 

Management has promised to focus on providing efficient training and logical scheduling on future outages. They will be trying to have you in the plant & working within 3 days. We'll see, but nice that they recognize the problem.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2022, 04:10 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #105 on: Jun 25, 2022, 10:04 »
Kruger National Park goes on my top-10 Best-Ever list...incredible abundance of wildlife. I'm not one for groups & guides, so safaris had never held any appeal to me. Kruger ended up being the ticket, since they let you drive yourself. Elephant...hippo...croc...rhi no...leopard...warthog...hyen a...giraffe...baboon...buffal o...impala...wildebeest...kud u...

Kruger would be worth the trip even if you weren't getting paid.

If you are working there anyway, add Table Mountain & Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens to your list of things that should be done.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2022, 10:06 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #106 on: Jun 25, 2022, 10:39 »
Kruger would be worth the trip even if you weren't getting paid.

If you are working there anyway, add Table Mountain & Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens to your list of things that should be done.

You posted tons of pictures when in Cambodia next time you go to South Africa, pictures would be nice.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2022, 10:54 by Marlin »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #107 on: Jul 01, 2022, 02:52 »
You posted tons of pictures when in Cambodia next time you go to South Africa, pictures would be nice.

Oh...are we able to upload pictures again? That section of the website was being upgraded for quite some time & I hadn't realized we were allowed back in.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: Jul 01, 2022, 02:56 »
Oh...are we able to upload pictures again? That section of the website was being upgraded for quite some time & I hadn't realized we were allowed back in.

I just tried it and got:    "Error      You don't have permission to perform this operation."  :(

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #109 on: Jul 02, 2022, 03:14 »
I just tried it and got:    "Error      You don't have permission to perform this operation."  :(

My bad I thought it was open I'll ask Mike

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Aug 04, 2022, 06:16 »
Excerpt from email from recruiter:

"I received the confirmation that outage 126 will start on the 8th of December 2022 and will last around 4 months."

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Aug 20, 2022, 12:36 »
1. Plenty of drawbacks to Koeberg, but...I will go back.

2. Next couple of outages are SGRPs....at the leisurely Koeberg pace...9 months per unit? ...12?    So...a ton of money to be made.

To clarify: When I say "I will go back"...I mean sometime...but not necessarily THIS outage....   

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #112 on: Aug 26, 2022, 08:01 »
Excerpt from email from recruiter:

"I received the confirmation that outage 126 will start on the 8th of December 2022 and will last around 4 months."

...but...now it has been re-scheduled to late January?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #113 on: Sep 13, 2022, 07:04 »
Oh...by the way...take time to request your lifetime dose records BEFORE you go to Koeberg. It will save you lots of hassle.

https://www.reirs.com/requests.html

I had gotten so used to all my records being on PADS that I didn't bother taking anything with me... Oops!  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #114 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:11 »
Rumor is they raised the pay rate?

Offline jmoore0988

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #115 on: Nov 01, 2022, 09:15 »
I just got an email from Bernard to do the 126 outage starting 8 December. I’ve been reading this thread and was wondering if it was actually worth it? I saw there were some issues about pay. Overall, I’m just curious about the experience for anyone that’s gone.

For anyone looking for updated info (not sure if it’s changed since last outage)

37$/hr
55$ /hr for overtime after 45 hours
2000 rand a day per diem
6x12s
120+/- days

Thanks!
   -Joe

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #116 on: Nov 02, 2022, 12:14 »
I just got an email from Bernard to do the 126 outage starting 8 December. I’ve been reading this thread and was wondering if it was actually worth it? I saw there were some issues about pay. Overall, I’m just curious about the experience for anyone that’s gone.

For anyone looking for updated info (not sure if it’s changed since last outage)

37$/hr
55$ /hr for overtime after 45 hours
2000 rand a day per diem
6x12s
120+/- days

Thanks!
   -Joe

Best case scenario? It will take them a year. You will make $190,000+.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2023, 10:44 »
The SGRP continues...techs have been on site since Dec. 1.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 10:44 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #118 on: Sep 02, 2023, 12:13 »
....SGRP continues...now scheduled to end in November?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?