Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu manpower shortages? honeypot

Author Topic: manpower shortages?  (Read 4714 times)

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
manpower shortages?
« on: Dec 03, 2008, 03:00 »
Greetings all...

Last week a friend of mine in the Navy told me I ought to look into working in the industry again, and the odds were good that even being out of it for 20 years that I could find my way in the door. I've since combed this great site and from time to time read about how ex-nukes are in demand and/or the plants can hardly keep themselves staffed. I like this kind of news.

My problem is, where are these postings? I've been looking for 4 or 5 days. The only place I've applied is where my old buddy works now (he did 20 and got out to go civ), and I wouldn't have known about that if he hadn't told me. There's no posting anywhere I can find now, though there was one on monster about an Operations Trainee, it's gone now.

Where do you look? What are the keywords you put in the search box? I've tried Operations Trainee, Auxiliary Operator, other things I've read about on here. I'd like to look into this industry but how do you do that? Who is posting starting classes, positions, or what have you?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: manpower shortages?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:39 »
Another way to do it is to look up the utility where you would want to work, and check their website every couple of weeks (some leave postings up forever, and some scrub them off right away, but hold onto your resume for a longer period of time), usually keyword "nuclear" is sufficient to get the results.

http://www.nppd.com/careers/Additional_Files/107751.asp an older plant in the corn desert, but a community of nice people and still part of real America

https://www2.sce.com/pljb/global_jsp/applicant/DisplayJob/JobDetails.jsp?display=1&pljbHome=/edison/careers/applicant/index.jsp&id=5122 with an awesome view of the beach and surfers, but a disadvantageous wage/cost of living ratio

https://exelonjobs.ceco.com/psc/HRPC_TAM/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=5894&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1 is a bit older of a post, but may not have classed up yet, don't know

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:47 »
OK, starting with the Jobs board here on Nukeworker...

http://www.nukeworker.com/job/jobfind.php?action=search&auth_sess=90d05cd0de7e525d905caa73602b25b8&ref=51354aa4eedf3a3284eb4c6f1&jids%5B%5D=159&jids%5B%5D=423&lids%5B%5D=000&kwd=&cmdSearch=++Search++

You also have to understand that the training for Operations is long term...so they will post / interview / hire a class (10-20 folks) and then not do it again for a year or more...

Search the utility websites, that's how most of them post openings. Many post here at the same time. Postings stay open until filled, or until enough interest is generated fro HR to get the ball rolling...may only be a couple of weeks at a time.

Entergy, Exelon, Progress Energy, etc - browse through the info here on Nukeworker about plants, utilities, areas and then continue your search.

Good luck  :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline zilla

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:17 »
There are lots of job listings lately, but always remember to network, network, network.  Call friends and call their friends and call their friends.  Get right to the Ops manager if you want into OPs.  It works.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:32 »
wow, ok so I just didn't dig deep enough and long enough. THanks for all that great info! I couldn't reconcile what I was hearing with the lack of job postings.

So you can just contact the ops mgr directly about the job? I would have thought that was presumptuous, but if it works...

I didn't realize about the classes starting a bunch of trainees at the same time. My buddy told me they are having a heck of a time finding 18 people to start the next class with. Nevertheless, the final PPOSS test for that class is this Friday. Alas, I didn't get my resume in until the day before Thanksgiving so that let's me out, apparently.

You guys rock
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008, 10:56 by dagiffy »

Offline zilla

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:30 »
wow, ok so I just didn't dig deep enough and long enough. THanks for all that great info! I couldn't reconcile what I was hearing with the lack of job postings.

So you can just contact the ops mgr directly about the job? I would have thought that was presumptuous, but if it works...

It's probably best if you can contact an Ops Mgr through someone who works there, so you can make sure they put in a good word and get your foot in the door, but I wouldn't hesitate to call the man directly. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?