Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Did well in A school...now not doing well in power school... honeypot

Author Topic: Did well in A school...now not doing well in power school...  (Read 41562 times)

Trackman

Use the quiet study room to your advantage.  Sometimes it can really help to get away from the classroom and the antics of the other students after hours.  I remember some funny (but very distracting) times back when I was in the pipeline.

Also, as previously stated, 2.6 is passing.  If you can maintain that, then you are golden.  Older guys always talk about how the pipeline doesn't flush nearly as many people as it has in the past.  "The nuclear pipeline is a pump, not a filter."

And finally, Even if you don't make it, I wouldn't worry too much.  There are lots of coners on my boat that failed out of the nuke pipeline, and they have very successful navy careers.  Sometimes they enjoy what they are doing more than the guys back in the engine room.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Here are 2 easy ways to bump you up .2 or .3

pick 6 key things you know you have trouble with and you know they will probably be on the test. this works especially well with listings and things that just need to be memorized, not so much for concepts (name the 4 advantages of...)  write them on a sheet of paper during the last half-hour of your study period in the morning b4 the test.  look at them over and over again about 10 minutes b4 the test to right before the test. it should be the last thing you put away. 

come in 2 hours before every test well-slept and drink some coffee if you like it.  study 2/3's of the material you feel will be most likely asked OF the material you are still having any trouble with.  have it ready with yellow highlighter from the night before EXACTLY what you will be studying.  if there are one or 2 things you are really having trouble with, DON'T include them, concentrate on the points you can still get. that is unless it is a totally major concept and will cause you to fail the test, ie six factor formula.

Here is one HARD way to bump up your score:

Start this early. It will take a long time and will only work with some things. Study all of your notes TWICE.  Highlight ALL the areas you think you will have moderate to heavy trouble with with lightblue highlighter.

Take each concept that needs to be memorized you have trouble with and DRAW a way to remember it.  Make it silly/sexual/provacative but make sure it is all part of one common theme.  For instance if you have trouble remembering what fracture toughness equation is and means.... KIC = s(PIEab)1/2.  Draw a stressed out dude (crazy hair) next to a piece of pie being eaten by a crackhead balancing a ruler on its head holding a geometry book, but put the crackhead in a transparent box with roots on the bottom of it.  stressX(pieXcracklengthXcrackgeometry factor)1/2. study the drawings and think about the real concepts.  it would be nice to understand the concept and use the drawing as help if possible.

This is hard and time consuming, but I used it for about 10% of stuff I knew I was going to have trouble with.  Drawings are easy to remember and it is WAY easier to remember the whole drawing versus a bunch of letters and numbers and what each one means.  The drawing should jog your memory to remember more about each piece of info on the drawing. The brain has trouble remembering arcane symbols/concepts.  If you can make at least 10 drawings it will make the rest of the material easier to remember because there should be much less abstract material to worry about now.

Cycoticpenguin

I must say your crazy antics blow my mind hamsamich. I dont think all his answers are going to come from "trying harder", there are other things to consider.  That said, effenuke, caffiene is MEDICALLY PROVEN to highten awareness and improves concentration.

Answer me this, are you having issues staying awake and concentrating in class? I remembered literally falling asleep standing up in the back until I found the magic of monsters, red bulls, and No-Doze. My scores subsequently rose as well.  (Got a 3.83 on comp, I was a 3.3 student).  Make sure you are getting excersize when you can as well.   (Hydroxycut is AWESOME!)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
  That said, effenuke, caffiene is MEDICALLY PROVEN to highten awareness and improves concentration.

Pushing stims on someone as a study aid ranks somewhere between stupid and illegal, and isn't going to help the poster. If you are tired and can't study, adding the jitters and cardiac hypertension isn't gonna help....

btw, how is that 3rd username thing workin out for ya? ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008, 06:04 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

I must say your crazy antics blow my mind hamsamich. I dont think all his answers are going to come from "trying harder", there are other things to consider.  That said, effenuke, caffiene is MEDICALLY PROVEN to highten awareness and improves concentration

BS

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
This is just something for him to try if everything else has failed.  If he could do things the "normal" way, he probably wouldn't be asking for our help.  And stimulants aren't always bad.

His post isn't about staying fit, it is about getting thru nuclear power school NOW; getting in shape and changing diet are great ideas, but are more long term fixes and are indirect fixes.  I'm trying to give him something different that works NOW and has been used before and is a direct way to boost scores for a test coming up in 3 or 4 days.  We aren't talking to a guy in a training program to GOTO power school.  He is already there.  He may be hanging on by a thread if he has failed some tests already....don't know 4 sure...This maybe like trying to help a golfer get a better score in the middle of a game.  Hard to do.

How many times have I went over my notes in a daydreamdaze learning nothing for hours until I tried something proactive like drawing pictures?  It was one of the only things that got me off of my cloud.  That and a nice jolt of coffee.  But I got a good amount of sleep and drank water, excercised and ate some decent things.

People who totally knock caffeine based on their own experiences aren't looking at both sides of the coin.  There is plenty of research out there both for and against caffeine.  Have a look.  Drinking caffeine and staying fit and healthy don't always have to be polar opposites. Just get plenty of sleep and drink enough water. Those are very important. Exercise and eating right are great if you have the time and willpower. Now it is time for my 2nd cup of joe.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
cool hcomb, but I'm just trying to make sure one-way or heavily skewed views don't contaminate these guy's heads.  you and I can disagree with each other all day, but when people get on the bandwagon of totally knocking ANY stimulant, including coffee, I just can't let that stay out there.  bad karma dontchaknow.  people at the end of their rope will grasp onto what the majority has to say sometimes, and this guys seems to need some help NOW.  that's all.  we all are different and many of the posts trying to help this guy don't recognize that.  this guy needs help NOW, not preaching for later.

NNPS is a marathon, but we caught this guy in a sprint type of situation, I don't think many people appreciate that.  he is in an out-of-whack area right now, so I'm leaning my advice to that type of arena.

I have read many articles on the use of coffee.  there is a hard-and-fast myth out there that less caffeine is better.  that hasn't been proven one way or the other.  2 years ago I read a science news article which used a Jcurve to show a protective factor against diabetes for coffee, and 5 cups a day was better than 2 cups a day in that study here is something on that issue..couldn't fint the science news article   http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/WBL02018   but just recently there is evidence showing people who already have type2 diabetes coffee/caffeine is bad.    http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20080128/caffeine-risks-may-rattle-diabetics

people love rules of thumb, but they can only be used situationally.  we forget that.  no I don't think minimized caffeine is always better, and neither does SOME evidence from scientific studies.  I haven't even touched on other data concerning athletic and learning situations.  http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/472473.stm

But there is plenty of stuff out there against caffeine also.  We've just heard so much of that that I don't need to put those studies up here.

I like these lively debates, and I guess I have an ax to grind when I see people put down information to be the gospel when it so clearly and completely undecided.

If this guy has crap going on at home and he needs a new way to study and a couple cups of coffee to get him on down the road to prototype, he already has my blessings and advice.

PapaBear765

I read once (can't remember the details) that studying one topic endlessly is futile after so many hours.  That is, your brain can only connect so many synapses related to one topic before it runs out of neurological epoxy.  So the conclusion was to not study math for 8 hours, but study it for 2 hours then switch to history for no more than 2 hours, thence some other topic for 2 hours, etc.

I also concur with the getting enough sleep and eating well suggestions.  That made a significant difference for me in NPS from NFAS.  In NPS I never had any problems staying awake in class, thereby actually learning *during* the lecture.  That it made far easier to do the homework that day because I didn't have to waste time studying my notes because I learned the material from the lecture.  All of this I attribute to getting to bed no later than 10pm and exercising 6 mornings a week, etc.

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
(Hydroxycut is AWESOME!)

Please, no.  I know that not everyone has a bad experience with Hydroxycut, but mine was not very nice.  Having heart palpitations while standing watch makes you rethink your choices in life.

psmarz

Too much caffeine can have the opposite effect as well.  It is also a diarrhetic so you will have to consume a lot more water.

I guess it just goes back to the old adage that anything in excess is not a good.

Offline brh3434

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Perhaps this is the first time you have been "really" challenged.  I remember the days going through NNPS being the most challenging time of my life up to that point.  Many posts here have stated some great study techniques.  Put them to use.  Find out what works for you.

What I have to offer you is simply this.  Nothing worth having will ever come easy.  As you face this challenge, you have to ask yourself what it means to you.  If you pour your soul into whatever obstacle you are trying to navigate, you can and will be successful.  I am a living example that you can achieve with brute force.  There are many who have God given ability...there are many more who waste it.  My point is that you determine your future by how hard you are willing to work and by how badly you desire success.  Don't sell yourself short...ever.  Fight for the prize and when you look back on this experience, you will forever draw from this challenge to help you conquer future endeavors.

Good luck.

Fermi2

I read once (can't remember the details) that studying one topic endlessly is futile after so many hours.  That is, your brain can only connect so many synapses related to one topic before it runs out of neurological epoxy.  So the conclusion was to not study math for 8 hours, but study it for 2 hours then switch to history for no more than 2 hours, thence some other topic for 2 hours, etc.

I also concur with the getting enough sleep and eating well suggestions.  That made a significant difference for me in NPS from NFAS.  In NPS I never had any problems staying awake in class, thereby actually learning *during* the lecture.  That it made far easier to do the homework that day because I didn't have to waste time studying my notes because I learned the material from the lecture.  All of this I attribute to getting to bed no later than 10pm and exercising 6 mornings a week, etc.

That is absolutely dead on advice for any type of nuclear or advanced academic/technical training.

Mike

withroaj

Just remember:  let the fact that you have to work to make it through power school remind you what it took for you to become a Navy Nuke.  A lot of folks slide through and become bitter (about, well, pretty much nothing) shortly after they report to a ship.  If you have to work for it, make sure you appreciate the job you get on the other side.  Trust me, there will be days that you will think you might have wanted another job.  Use the fact that the job (usually) only offers the rewards of a pay check and the idea that you play a unique role in the Navy.  The novelty of the idea of a nuclear job wears off pretty quick for some (most); so take it upon yourself to enjoy your job when you get out of school.  You'll make it if you keep on truckin'.

The Navy Nuke community could (probably should) hold a sense of pride like the SEAL community (relatively small units, pretty elite when compared to others); but somehow it doesn't always come out like that.  Kick ass at the things you can, and do your best to take up the slack for the things you don't immediately grasp.  True desire to become a nuke (and the work that comes as a by-product of that desire) will allow your section advisors to vouch for you in spite of most academic shortcomings.

Every nuke here has worked with someone (or been someone) who struggled through the training pipeline whose performance on the job as a real Navy nuke has eclipsed that of the star students (seems like work ethic sticks with those who HAVE to work).  Also, read the Constitution on a weekend (recommended -- should be required).

EDIT:  ...And then I realized our original poster hasn't been online in a couple weeks.  All my motivational excellence... wasted.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2008, 08:14 by withroaj »

PapaBear765

EDIT:  ...And then I realized our original poster hasn't been online in a couple weeks.  All my motivational excellence... wasted.

I thought that our posts were 50% for the original question (sometimes) and 50% for the benefit of everyone else?

Why are people posting on Christmas Eve?  Did anyone else have to man the cube today too?

Fermi2

I had the shift today and will have it X Mas day.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
I had the shift today and will have it X Mas day.

Its CHRISTMAS....not xmas.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

Its CHRISTMAS....not xmas.

Sorry you are incorrect. The Greeks call is X Mas is it X is Chi, the first letter in the word Christos meaning Christ. Using the X implies the word Christ which is how the Greeks actually use as the symbol for "Christmas"

Don't ever forget. I'm smarter than you.

Mike

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

Mike

I ACED Nuke School and my RO Test. I went through 6 years of Navy training and missed ONE point on a test the whole time I was in.

Anyone who has ever read any of your posts knows that you think you are smarter then everyone else,  especially us poor pathetic navy folk who operate our "start-up source" in the minor leagues of the nuclear power world. 

Keep thinking what you want to....

To me,  it is and will always be CHRISTMAS.  Secularization of the holiday will not be tolerated by me.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Sorry you are incorrect. The Greeks call is X Mas is it X is Chi, the first letter in the word Christos meaning Christ. Using the X implies the word Christ which is how the Greeks actually use as the symbol for "Christmas"

Mike

But are you smarter than Marina Orlova she says the root is Χριστός (Christos). I know you are not better looking  ;)

http://www.hotforwords.com/2008/12/11/oreilly-factor-show-holiday-words/

Offline nadinno

• Light User
Here are a few pieces of adive.

The first I didn't pick up on until I was out of the Navy and 3 years into college.

When I got to college for the most part I studied on my own.  I listened to the lecture, read the book, and wrote out what I needed to.  At a certain point it just stopped working and no matter how hard or how much time I spent studying it wasn't enough.   My biggest problem was I was spending too much time ALONE studying.  When my grades started slipping I started reaching out to other students and instructors more.  And that was when the light bulb's really started going off for me.  Learning is really a social construct and the more time you spend with like minded people the more you are going to learn.

Think of it this way.  When you have a fuel plate and all the atoms start rubbing together they generate heat.  Its the same thing with learning.  When you dump a bunch of students into a pot and rub them together you generate knowledge.  You can only spend so much time staring at a book.  Its when you take what you read and start discussing it with other people that it really starts to stick. 

Enter group study.   So my advice is after spending some time reading the notes and writing things out head into the instructors office and talk to them about what you are trying to learn.  Also find other students that are willing to help you. I remember NNPS and how most group study turned into BS sessions. So this will take some vigilance on your part.

Talk to the other students, your instructors, and your staff adviser be honest about your problems.   And don't just present your problems to them and expect them to solve them for you. Be proactive and suggest some possible solutions.  Then work on hashing them out together. 

And another piece of adivice:  If there are serious issues going on at home then find a good counselor.  Stay away from the meds and be honest with your SA about the steps you are taking to resolve your problems.   

Offline nadinno

• Light User
  There are some things going on back home, but I just try to ignore them. 

Deal with your personnel problems.  Don't ignore them. They WILL drag you down at school and later in your Naval career.  Get help if you need it.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2008, 04:45 by nadinno »

Fermi2

But are you smarter than Marina Orlova she says the root is Χριστός (Christos). I know you are not better looking  ;)

http://www.hotforwords.com/2008/12/11/oreilly-factor-show-holiday-words/

I couldn't get the actual greek Word for Christos to post, but you are entirely correct. The bottom line is using the term X Mas is not secularizing anything. X Mas a valid term and an acceptable substitute for Christmas as the term X is simply how the greeks say the christ in Christmas.

NOW you know who I wouldn't argue with? Did you see that OLympic Javelin Thrower from Paraguay, she still has me all inspired for the Olympics!

Merry X Mas everyone!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

Our own Stephen Hawking .... ;)

btw...

X Mas a valid term and an acceptable substitute for Christmas as the term X is simply how the greeks say the christ in Christmas.

Myth-busted!

X-mas isn't valid, since "Mass" derives from Latin, and the Greek language rarely "spanglishes" any term. Check  http://www.etymonline.com/index.php? term=mass for etymology (2)  So let's be honest, X-mas is a term used by people who don't want to write or say or hear "Christ" in conversation. Which we can discuss for just 10 cents a day in GM: PolySci ! :)

On topic.... as far as keeping the brain working under stress at NPS, does anyone try Goji?  A great berry full of antioxidants, vitamins and a bunch of reservatrol? Should be in the better grocery stores there, or can be ordered online.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 01:29 by HydroDave63 »

JustinHEMI05

I disagree. Xmas is an acceptable form of Christmas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

Etymology

The word Christmas originated as a compound meaning "Christ's Mass". It is derived from the Middle English Christemasse and Old English Cristes mæsse, a phrase first recorded in 1038.[3] "Cristes" is from Greek Christos and "mæsse" is from Latin missa. In Greek, the letter Χ (chi), is the first letter of Christ, and it, or the similar Roman letter X, has been used as an abbreviation for Christ since the mid-16th century.[8] Hence, Xmas is often used as an abbreviation for Christmas.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 10:43 by JustinHEMI »

CaseEEStud

This is coming from an untrained NUPOC, so take it for what you will...
As far as study tips go, I think that there are a lot of helpful tips being thrown out. Personally, coffee has been a helpful aid to me when studying for finals and big tests. One other tip for studying that I might add is to try and teach somebody else what it is that you are trying to study yourself. Whenever I use this method, I usually end up with quite a few aha moments where things become really clear. Just make sure that whoever you are studying with is able to keep you honest. Group studying has been really helpful to me.
Best of luck to you!
(I'm staying out of the etymology discussion  :) )

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?